• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

POKKÉN TOURNAMENT Announced - The Pokemon Fighting Game

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
Oh man, if this game is tournament viable, can you imagine having two this game AND Smash 4 at Evo 2015? My hype levels cannot be any higher right now! Here's hoping for Mewtwo, Scyther, Blaziken, and Greninja as playable characters!

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
STILL ON ALL DAY HYPE GUYS! NOTHING CAN STOP MY TRAINS OF HYPE!

AND JUST LIKE SMASH AND MACHAMP ITS GOING ALL 4 DAYS!

Rambeard

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure there will be a Wii U port within 6 months of its arcade release. This is going to be huge in Japan for sure. It would be dumb to leave NA out of it as there's a huge fanbase here.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
I can't believe it! After all this years of people making requests about Pokemon as a 2D fighting game it actually happens! First Ruby and Sapphire remake, and now Pokemon TEKKEN. This is awesome.

dynasty warriors zelda
tekken pokemon
shin megami tensei fire emblem
smash bros
nintendo king of crossovers?
Nintendo is going around really friendly with third parties now a days, especially with Namco. Nothing wrong with it, though. :chuckle:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Amazing. This is better news than Pokemon hints of being in Smash.

Lucario is once again promoted, which I like. This makes me want every Fighting-type pokemon to be confirmed fighting characters, to the max. That's 51 characters if we count every fighting-type pokemon that I'm knowledgeable of, which I can be wrong of that.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Miltank or bust.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I'd buy this game if Ambipom.

:093:

serazac25

Smash Rookie
So, Japanese arcades...so does this mean that the Wii U is going to get a fightstick???

ShadowMasterFluffy

Smash Rookie
NNID
MasterFluffy
3DS FC
0731-5123-3029
I'm sure there will be a Wii U port within 6 months of its arcade release. This is going to be huge in Japan for sure. It would be dumb to leave NA out of it as there's a huge fanbase here.
yeah, many/all of the tekken games started in arcades before being released to a console for the rest of the world, besides they made different regions versions of the trailers, basically confirming this to be the case.

Pokemon-master

Smash Apprentice
NNID
fadi
3DS FC
0791-2291-3156
i amagine this is where zorrork meowth and mewtwo went to but in a serous point i do think any pokemon that could be in smash but is not as popular as greninja and lucario (even if im sure they all will make it in there) truthfully who do you guys want to see in this game and do you think it will get a competitive tourney (i hope) i really want meowth and kabotops

Last edited:

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
Can't come in to work. Busy playing Namtendo games. 50 bucks says South Korea is all up on this before we get a shot.

Also while we're calling out our favorites, let's go Medicham! Whooo!

Last edited:

MoHarp

Smashin' Bass Guitars
NNID
MoHarp
Switch FC
SW 3796 8060 8415
So.... This is a "Fighting Type only" Pokemon game I assume.
(Sarcasm...)

D

Deleted member

This looks awesome! I assume most of the fighters are going to be bipedal/humanoid Pokemon that incorporate a lot of punches and kicks into their arsenal (hopefully not just Fighting-types since we have great candidates like Sceptile and Scizor), but it would be superb if they decided to add Pokemon like Gardevoir and Alakazam too.

And yeah, this is obviously going to get an international release on the WiiU at some point. No need to worry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Suli Hyuga

Smash Cadet
OMG THIS IS A DREAM COME TRUE. NAMCO YOU GUYS ROCK.
Please let there be a 3DS port!

EDIT: Does anyone remember that trailer Japan released a while back with a scene in some broken up street with Lucario staring down Blaziken? It had the same look as the Pokken Tourney trailer.
Blaziken confirmed???

Last edited:

abrinx77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Abrinx
HYPE! I officially declare today Nintendo HYPE day! Fingers crossed for Hitmonchan, Alakazam, and Aggron!

Zeroknight9

Smash Cadet
Oh my god I just had an awesome idea. If mewtwo is playable in smash he could use his y mega evolution in it, and if he's in pokken he could use his x mega evolution!

Last edited:

Trickerhere

Smash Ace
If this game turns out be really good...can't wait for it come out! Hopefully a really good competitive scene so Smash 4 and Pokken Fighter for life!

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
According to translation of Harada's asking questions on Twitter, he said that there will not be a traditional guard mechanic (there's a new one in its place), and because of this, any pokemon is up for participation, potentially all 721 of them.
Not all of the Pokémon are going to be playable (all the 1s that lack both arms & legs would be completely ineligible, since the only thing they can do is tackle headfirst if they lack both appendages or punch & kick depending if they have only 1 set of arms (like the later Beldum line does, since the only thing they could do is punch and slash (Metang & Metagross have claws), or a set of legs (Venusaur, Exeggutor and the 4 Musketdeers, since the only move they can do is kick and maybe bite (in the case of Venusaur & Exeggutor, while the Musketdeers could actually have a decent combo based moveset with their horned swordplay) however Pokémon who lack both appendages like Electrode, Magnezone and basically any flying type that's not bipedal (most of the bird Pokémon would have to be excluded, unless they add a sky arena for them), they would have to be excluded completely, this game should only feature Pokémon who can actually stand on 2 legs and can fight in hand-to-hand combat, I'm wondering if any of the bipedal non-Fighting types can get in (Alakazam, Gardevoir (can that even work? since she lacks proper wrists), Bisharp (would make a great rival & contrast to Gallade) etc. etc.

Certain small Pokémon such as the baby pre-evolved forms like Pichu, Ralts (I know it's the basic stage of the line, it's still a baby), etc. would definitely be ruled out (they're way too innocent for a game like this, which is likely getting a E 10+ or a T rating), other small Pokémon who are a little bit larger but are still small such as Pikachu, Kirlia (my personal favorite and I would love to play as her in a proper fighting game, since we know Smash will never add her or Gardevoir as possible fighters) & Meloetta could be playable but they would have problems fighting larger opponents (such as a Machamp for example) since the size could be a bit OP'ed on the much smaller combatant (unless said smaller Pokémon happens to be a legendary as in the case of Meloetta, in which that fighter would have an edge due to the quick nature of some of the smaller characters, also Meloetta's 2nd form (the dancing 1, forgot the name) is known to have taken out foes that are quite larger than her (Note: this was only in the anime portion of the series), if smaller Pokémon like the 3 I mentioned get in they could have a Cup based system on the character's height frame (smaller characters fight in their own class, while the mid sized 1s can do the same in their own class.

Last edited:

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
I can't wait till this comes out on the Wii U, or at least I hope it does, it looks like it will be fun.

gmanownyou

Smash Cadet
NNID
gmanownyou
3DS FC
0946-3091-2616
Interesting crossover. That just sounds weird though. Pokemon in a fighting ga-oh wait...

Top Bottom