• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

POKKÉN TOURNAMENT Announced - The Pokemon Fighting Game

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360

WELL SINCE SAKURAI WON'T MAKE MY DREAMS OF KICKING ASS AS FREAKING BLAZIKEN COME TRUE I GUESS BASEDGOD HARADA-SAN WILL!!

I am so hype for this right now.

dynasty warriors zelda
tekken pokemon
shin megami tensei fire emblem
smash bros
nintendo king of crossovers?
The fan service is real...

Last edited:

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
dynasty warriors zelda
tekken pokemon
shin megami tensei fire emblem
smash bros
nintendo king of crossovers?
Not to mention Pokémon Mystery Dungeon and Nobonaga's Ambition games.

Last edited:

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
Holy halibut, POKKEN?

I'm running out of money for people to shut up and take.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
I don't know why, but...I'd like to see this happen:

(Crossing my fingers, come on meowth.)

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
I don't know why, but...I'd like to see this happen:

(Crossing my fingers, come on meowth.)
Hell yeah, my dreams were crushed for Smash with him, but this seems a lot more likely.

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
Wow, reading these comments makes me realize how ignorant some people are when it comes to the Fighting Game Genre as a whole aside from the sole world of Super Smash Brothers.

What? "Ignorant" to harsh of a word? Meh...

Most fighting games are released in Arcades before they are released on consoles so that AFTER they have small groups of people play test for bugs they can gather Arcade data and see how the MASSES exploit the engine for Infinites. This is because back in the hay day of fighting games, THERE WHERE NO ONLINE PATCHES FOR CONSOLES. So, as per tradition, fighting games are released on consoles AFTER they are in arcade. It also shows how popular the game will be dictating a disk release (Tekken 6) or a digital release (AquaPlazza).

Nintendo is not just going to let a Pokemon game get released in Arcade with out later releasing it on the Wii U. Especially since arcades are nearly dead in America and we got an English announcement trailer.

The Original Robot boy

Smash Champion
NNID
AzureXeire
3DS FC
0173-2317-7445
Wow, reading these comments makes me realize how ignorant some people are when it comes to the Fighting Game Genre as a whole aside from the sole world of Super Smash Brothers.

Most fighting games are released in Arcades before they are released on consoles so that AFTER they have small groups of people play test for bugs they can gather Arcade data and see how the MASSES exploit the engine for Infinites. This is because back in the hay day of fighting games, THERE WHERE NO ONLINE PATCHES FOR CONSOLES. So, as per tradition, fighting games are released on consoles AFTER they are in arcade. It also shows how popular the game will be dictating a disk release (Tekken 6) or a digital release (AquaPlazza).

Nintendo is not just going to let a Pokemon game get released in Arcade with out later releasing it on the Wii U. Especially since arcades are nearly dead in America and we got an English announcement trailer.
well obliviously

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I'm not a huge Tekken fan. I prefer Street Fighter's system. Still, the game is full of Pokémon characters so I'll pick this up. . . If I can.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
The Naruto Ultimate Ninja games are amazing, and it would be epic if this game didn't include ridiculous fighting game commands, or a 'casual' system that doesn't punish you for wanting to have fun like MvC3's.
They're awesome and flashy, and the single player modes do a better job of telling the story of Naruto than the manga or anime does, but I just personally find them incredibly boring as a multiplayer game.

Yes, it's because they are too easy for me, no it does not mean that harder games are always better or something.

You really need to learn how to express your opinion without automatically attacking someone else's.

Vidiot825

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0275-8558-7913
Looks cool so far, cool announcement for sure.
When they said big announcement, though, i was honestly hoping for a "Pokemon U Snap"
#thehypewasreal

Reoyoshi8

Smash Apprentice
The ideas is badass, and I'll probably still buy it when it eventually comes over here, but it looks kind of a bit like the Naruto Ultimate Ninja games which... I mean as far as fighters go... eh.
.....I play the Naruto games, and this looks nothing like that.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
It's pretty obvious that we are gonna get this game on Mid-Late 2015; and that's good because we can get money again for our wallets :p

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I'm calling it now, we're gonna get a playable Ditto who is going to be the Mokujin of the game.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Nintendo seriously needs to port this for the Wii U.
Knowing the situation they are in, this game could easily outsell Smash Bros. and give that much needed push to the Wii U.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
They're awesome and flashy, and the single player modes do a better job of telling the story of Naruto than the manga or anime does, but I just personally find them incredibly boring as a multiplayer game.

Yes, it's because they are too easy for me, no it does not mean that harder games are always better or something.

You really need to learn how to express your opinion without automatically attacking someone else's.
I'd be OK with a more button mashy version of the MK9 style, having 4-directional commands so you don't have to do that weird **** to do things like the Dragon Punch, you know, the inexplicable Z motion?

The game should be about how you fight, not if you CAN fight at all.

UltraSmashBro721

Smash Rookie
If this game had a ladder-type mode, who would be the final boss? My four best guesses would be Arceus, Genesect, Deoxys or Mewtwo. However, the latter three are ones I see being playable characters than a final boss, leaving Arceus, but Arceus is not evil.

Also, I imagine that Pikachu will also be playable, being Pokemon's mascot, but what concerns me is the potential game-breaking advantages due to difference in height between Pikachu and the taller Pokemon. I say this out of Namco's previous inclusion of Yoda in Soul Calibur IV.

Intriguing questions indeed...only time will tell!

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I kinda wish that they are restricted to only fighting pokemons, because otherwise almost everyone favorite pokemon isn't going to be in. There is simply juts too much pokemons (still mewtwo x or fighting arceus can be the final bosses :p)

as much as i want to play as gardevoir, this wuold probably be the best option, and seriously, is not like they won't have material for a roster...

I want to play as Mienshao, but you also have:
Chesnaught
Hitmonlee
Hitmonchan
Hitmontop
Gallade
Breloom
Scrafty
Hawlucha
Heracross
Toxicroak
Primeape
Medicham
Infernape
Emboar
Conkeldurr
Meloetta
Mewtwo X
Cobalion
Terrakion
Virizion
Keldeo

Plus Lucario
Machamp
Blaziken

a 25 character roster for a first time fighting game is in fact pretty high. and all of this pokemon have a decent amount of following. (maybe bar Emboar and Chesnaught, but that are personal picks :p)

Neoleo21

Smash Apprentice
If this game had a ladder-type mode, who would be the final boss? My four best guesses would be Arceus, Genesect, Deoxys or Mewtwo. However, the latter three are ones I see being playable characters than a final boss, leaving Arceus, but Arceus is not evil.

Also, I imagine that Pikachu will also be playable, being Pokemon's mascot, but what concerns me is the potential game-breaking advantages due to difference in height between Pikachu and the taller Pokemon. I say this out of Namco's previous inclusion of Yoda in Soul Calibur IV.

According to translation of Harada's asking questions on Twitter, he said that there will not be a traditional guard mechanic (there's a new one in its place), and because of this, any pokemon is up for participation, potentially all 721 of them.

Potpourri

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2921-9942-8562

THIS SO MUCH
most of you guys play smash but don't know nothing about how other fighters operate, especially the whole "fighting games usually come to arcades first" rule.
(btw yall better learn them qcf motions because if street fighter's "too hard" this is gonna be brutal)

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

I don't think pikachu will be in this, I have a hunch that Lucario will be pushed as the mascot for this, when looking at fighting types Lucario stands out in both popularity, importance and uniqueness

UltraSmashBro721

Smash Rookie
I don't think pikachu will be in this, I have a hunch that Lucario will be pushed as the mascot for this, when looking at fighting types Lucario stands out in both popularity, importance and uniqueness
Good point about Lucario. I just have a hunch that the Pokemon Company might try to push Pikachu in this in some way. Of course, it will be no big deal if he isn't in, but it would be a nice "shocking" touch! :D

Top Bottom