• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

POKKÉN TOURNAMENT Announced - The Pokemon Fighting Game

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
The Pokemon Company released a trailer today for POKKÉN TOURNAMENT - a collaboration between The Pokemon Company and BANDAI NAMCO Games in Japan. The trailer slates the fighting game for release in arcades in Japan in 2015. Footage features Lucario in non-Mega form fighting Machamp in Tekken style battles. Word first spread a few weeks ago that The Pokemon Company was working on a new, exciting game and many hoped it would be a fabled 3D MMO with Pokemon. While that rumor was laid to rest, the footage released today is intriguing. While it is currently only be announced for arcades in Japan, most are already hoping for a Wii U port to come to the United States. If this happens, POKKÉN TOURNAMENT may likely find it's place at Smash tournaments as organizers would already be using the required hardware.

Lucario looks to strike a defending Machamp!

Last edited by a moderator:

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
As cool as it looks, it's a disappointment for sure. It doesn't look like it's going to be internationally released yet, so most of us will never get to experience it unless it's ported to Wii U. Fingers crossed...

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Awesome! So, if Mewtwo's not in Smash, I can (hopefully) still play him here. What a great surprise!

Greninja'd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Asianbanana
3DS FC
0645-5951-1667
Damn the game looks amazing but I hope this is ported to the Wii U too.

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
As cool as it looks, it's a disappointment for sure. It doesn't look like it's going to be internationally released yet, so most of us will never get to experience it unless it's ported to Wii U. Fingers crossed...
The english Pokemon twitter accounts has been making tweets about this ever since it was announced, and we have an english trailer for the game. More likely than not, this is getting localized.

Also, like most other traditional fighting games, this game will probably be released in arcades first and then consoles later. To this day, Street Fighter, Tekken, Persona 4 Arena, BlazBlue, and the like all release in arcades first. It's actually abnormal for a traditional fighter to release on consoles first.

So yeah, TL;DR game's getting localized and it's gonna get a Wii U release. Nintendo knows how much power the Pokemon brand holds; it's their best seller after Mario, after all!

Last edited:

Tsutori

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2320-6305-8112
If they took the time to make an English language trailer for it, I'm pretty sure it will get an international release later. It does look like it would be on the Wii U.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
The fact that they have the trailer in english and that Pokemon is huge all over the world means we'll likely see the game over here too. They might not have a planned release for America yet. But I can easily see this in American arcades like Tekken and eventually on the Wii U system.

ck2399

Smash Rookie
OMG THAT LOOKS FREAKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
3DS version please.

Also, I want a Golurk playable.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
It will be quite disappointing if there are only Fighting-types in the game. I think Delphox and a few other humanoid Pokémon shouldn't be excluded because of their types. Also lol @ 3DS version.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Also lol @ 3DS version.
What's so funneh about the 3DS version :seuss:

Wii U doesn't have arcade sticks.

Oh wait...could this mean we get a Pokemon themed fightstick?

Want.

Last edited:

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
this will probably make it to wii U. Its got an english trailer, so why wouldn't it be released here?

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
Looks interestiing. Since I play a ton of fighting games (that aren't Smash bros.) It's natural for it to come to arcade's before consoles.

Kirbybrawl

Smash Cadet
Nice, I wonder if the gameplay is going to be real deep like tekken or just simple for anyone to pick up and play

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
C'mon, Ursaring, Ursaring, Ursaring!

I just hope it gets a Wii U release worldwide...and that Ursaring's playable. I mean come on...Tekken has Kuma, right?

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Looks like Pokemon is taking a huge leap outta there comfort zone on being "traditional" like they where in the past. This should be interesting.

:pow:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Smells like another case of Mario Kart GP.
Also, it wouldn't be the first Japan exclusive Pokemon arcade. Lets hope they like the money at Namco/Game Freak.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
In b4 Lopunny.
I can totally see a Lopunny being worked into this. But aside from that, seems like Namco Bandai been on the ball with Nintendo games lately. I'm scared on what they'll think of next.

Awesome! So, if Mewtwo's not in Smash, I can (hopefully) still play him here. What a great surprise!
If he actually in there (or at least a boss character), there might be a pattern to this. For all the characters that aren't playable in Smash Bros, they are in huge projects by Namco Bandai (Hyrule Warriors, Pokken Tournament, etc.). I wonder what would be next announcement be at this rate.

Last edited:

Potpourri

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2921-9942-8562
*cries a Jesus tear*
Pokemon and Tekken, two of my favorite things, combining??? Be still my heart.

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
Smells like another case of Mario Kart GP.
Also, it wouldn't be the first Japan exclusive Pokemon arcade. Lets hope they like the money at Namco/Game Freak.
I doubt it would have a Japan-Only release, since Nintendo made trailers for it in multiple languages. It makes zero sense to localize the trailers, and then be like, "You're never getting this game."

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
JESUS CHRIST THE HYPE!

Well, I've got Lucario already, so I'll just hope for Gengar and Mewtwo and be excited about whatever else.

Holy ****, I'm still getting chills.

Top Bottom