• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

POKKÉN TOURNAMENT Announced - The Pokemon Fighting Game

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Seems awesome, but I dunno what to think, really.
It could be a dumbed down version of Tekken, making it easy for kids to just button-mash, which would be horrible since there's already a bit of button-mashing in Tekken.
Not saying Tekken is solely a button-masher, but it definitely has more mashing-profit in it than SF, MK, KI, etc etc...

If this new game is more like SF (unlikely), my hype would reach 10.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Seems awesome, but I dunno what to think, really.
It could be a dumbed down version of Tekken, making it easy for kids to just button-mash, which would be horrible since there's already a bit of button-mashing in Tekken.
Not saying Tekken is solely a button-masher, but it definitely has more mashing-profit in it than SF, MK, KI, etc etc...

If this new game is more like SF (unlikely), my hype would reach 10.
Because we can't have easy games, no, everything must be super hard, I actually prefer Tekken because you can have a little more fun without having to suffer so much.

On another note, HOLY **** this looks awesome! I might even try to get into the game competitively...even if it has annoying-ass fighting game commands, if they're done right like in Tekken or Mortal Kombat 9 as opposed to the fighting-game-community-pandering Street Fighter IV, it might just be awesome.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
I doubt it would have a Japan-Only release, since Nintendo made trailers for it in multiple languages. It makes zero sense to localize the trailers, and then be like, "You're never getting this game."
Very good point. Still, if its arcade only it will be a pain to play it (especially when you live in Mexico).

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
Before I searched for the trailer, or knew Tekken was involved, I hoped for swappable moves, and a 3D plane. I am thankful the plane is not totally 2D. Anyway, what Fighting-type Pokemon are everyone hoping for? I am hoping for Hitmontop, and, now that I type this, Tyrogue and Throh. I also hope for a sort of feature involving main-game Pokemon, like the Stadium games.

MM720

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM720
3DS FC
0259-0380-4806
10/10 would buy :3

Lucario and Machamp look amazing. Wonder if this will be restricted to only fighting-type pokemon... (It would still make for a huge and varied roster, but would be slightly lame)

Turmalinium

Smash Apprentice
I just hope Pokken Tournament wont have many clone characters like a certain other fighting game.

BlurB

Smash Apprentice
The english Pokemon twitter accounts has been making tweets about this ever since it was announced, and we have an english trailer for the game. More likely than not, this is getting localized.

Also, like most other traditional fighting games, this game will probably be released in arcades first and then consoles later. To this day, Street Fighter, Tekken, Persona 4 Arena, BlazBlue, and the like all release in arcades first. It's actually abnormal for a traditional fighter to release on consoles first.

So yeah, TL;DR game's getting localized and it's gonna get a Wii U release. Nintendo knows how much power the Pokemon brand holds; it's their best seller after Mario, after all!
You have brought peace to my restless soul. Thank you.

Steelia

Smash Champion
...I read the line under the picture as "Lucario looks to strike a defending Warchamp!"

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
My little heart can't take this.

First the leak of full roster in SSB4 and now this. . .

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I imagine this game being on arcades for a bit and then ported to the Wii U. It's a Nintendo flagship spin off title and will definitely come to the home console. I am really digging these collab titles as well (first Hyrule Warriors and then this! I hope we get a Metroid game produced by Bungy that is reminiscent of Destiny at some point or a Tales of game but make it a new Super Mario RPG. )

I do hope that the game isn't exclusive to fighting types but have a mix. It's understandable that if there are more Fighting types but a mix would be nice.

I would like to see Garchomp, Gengar, Aegislash, Breloom, most of the starters, Deoxys, Hawlucha, Bisharp, and maybe even Chansey, I also wonder if pre-evolutions will be included.

Last edited:

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
So far the list of my must haves

• Smash 4 on 3ds
  • Smash 4 on Wii u
  • Pokemon Alpha
  • Persona 4 U
  • Bayonetta 2
  • Kirby fighters
  • Hyrule Warriors
  • Legend of Zelda Wii U
And now Pokken? God I'm gonna be in soooo much debt lmao.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I have to see more of this before forming a solid opinion, but I'll give my impressions.

Looks pretty neat and I'm happy for all the Pokémon fans, Tekken fans, & people who were anticipating this. However, after Hyrule Warriors, these crossovers with other companies are beginning to hold a pattern of cut-and-pasting a Nintendo franchise onto the other company's gameplay formula (save us, SMTxFE!) It's not that these crossover games aren't cool. Itls that I don't want more of the same. I'm sure Nintendo will find a way to add some Pokémon twists into Tekken's gameplay (4 special attack moves, abilities, item holding, statistical effects that aren't lame RPG elements for the sake of it, etc.) We've already seen Mega Evolution, which is cool.

Also, the fact that this is being announced worldwide and it's only going to be released in Japanese arcades leaves a sour taste in my mouth. It breaks hope for this being distributed worldwide. Here in America, arcades are in a deplorable state. Our standard are Dave & Busters and barcades with nothing but parlor games and Cruis'n USA/Exotica all over the place. There's only a couple of dedicated, hardcore ones left and they're hard to find.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Guys I just realized the move Lucario uses to break Machamp's guard is his FSmash

#SmashRef

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
Hype get! Take my money Nintendo! Better not take forever for a port tho.

_yuna

Smash Apprentice
Considering Bamco is helping make it. I have no doubts it will be a vapid fighter akin to the Dragon Ball games.

The only fighters I am ever excited for anymore are made by Capcom, SNK, Arc Sys etc.

TurboNoob

Smash Apprentice
NNID
D-Unknown Enigma
The Pokemon Company released a trailer today for POKKÉN TOURNAMENT - a collaboration between The Pokemon Company and BANDAI NAMCO Games in Japan. The trailer slates the fighting game for release in arcades in Japan in 2015. Footage features Lucario in non-Mega form fighting Machamp in Tekken style battles. Word first spread a few weeks ago that The Pokemon Company was working on a new, exciting game and many hoped it would be a fabled 3D MMO with Pokemon. While that rumor was laid to rest, the footage released today is intriguing. While it is currently only be announced for arcades in Japan, most are already hoping for a Wii U port to come to the United States. If this happens, POKKÉN TOURNAMENT may likely find it's place at Smash tournaments as organizers would already be using the required hardware.

Lucario looks to strike a defending Machamp!

.........Okay. I WANT THIS GAME!!!!

RogersBase

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RogersBase
3DS FC
1848-1722-4915
SO HYPED!

I actually just did a video about the first trailer and did some translations of stuff that was said on the livestream announcement and posted on the official Twitter.

• Game is coming to Arcades in Japan FIRST. Ishihara specifically said "Oops, I said first, didn't I?" on stream. Pokken Tournament is most likely the Arcade Edition while Pokken Fighters is the home console game.
  • Location tests will be announced for 2015.
  • A character poll is being held right now using the official Pokken hashtag: #ポッ拳

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
If they want the Wii U to sell more, they should definitely port this game to the console. I could really see this game selling like hotcakes--simply because it's a brawler based on Pokémon, one of Nintendo's bestselling series.

[EDIT] Oh, and I hope the Pokken roster doesn't consist solely of bipedal Pokémon.

Last edited:

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
Lilligant and Leavanny PLSSS. Would love the game 5ever.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
This has to come to Wii U ASAP. I've been dreaming about a true Pokemon fighting game since I was 9. (It was half of the reason I got the first Smash Bros to begin with.)

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Kazuya: Jin, the pokemon you are trying to capture...is right HERE!

*Camera pans to Lucario on the floor with Kazuya's foot on his face"

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
The ideas is badass, and I'll probably still buy it when it eventually comes over here, but it looks kind of a bit like the Naruto Ultimate Ninja games which... I mean as far as fighters go... eh.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Delphox is like my next favorite pokemon next to Jigglypuff and I really hope he gets into this game! He's not a fighting type but he's definitely a humanoid character that I think deserves to be in.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I'd like to see the big bug trio - Scyther, Pinsir, and Heracross. Bisharp and Haxorus would be cool too.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Awww....man this looks AMAZING! Too bad it's japan release only. I thought this was gonna be like pokemon smash bros. or somethin'.

Top Bottom