• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
New topic: people are talking about Boss Battles in Smash Run, .. I don't recall Sakurai saying something about this kind of thing in the Direct, .. and would sound weird having just 5 minutes to try to get every upgrade you can and still battle a boss. But, you guys think that Pac can get some enemies in Smash Run as Mega Man?.. Generic ghosts which when attacked turns in goo and after some seconds respawn? ... maybe Fire Ghosts too, a Pac-Bear... and if after all, there is bosses in this mode, maybe Betrayus or Fluffy?
I expect Betrayus to be the boss. Inky, Blinky, Pinky, and Clyde to be the Assist Trophy (sprite form) and generic Ghostly Adventure ghosts to be Smash Run enemies and a stage hazard. Pooka and Fygars are SFlag material. (Damn auto correct!)

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I'm assuming, actually, that the S-Flag is in fact Pac's Assist Trophy, and this would summon NAMCO sprites, like the Galaga bugs, maybe some Frygars and Pookas, or even the Ghost Gang that I'm hoping (I would like to have them in 3D Models, but in 8-Bit sprite would be more likely anyway). ... Generic colorful Ghosts for the stage hazards in the Maze and the same models as enemies in Smash Run; and at last Betrayus for a boss battle (if there is some in Smash Run)

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
this isn't even close to reach the same objective that they did with the G.A. design. Is just Ness with blue eyes and some teeth that doesn't even fit with the pose. (Which is totally the opposite of the propouse of the teeths in G.A. Pacster).

Edit: and without count that, Pac-Man had the update of his design gradually; and, if we have to talk more deep, he already had, other few times, sclera in his eyes and teeth.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
the colors depends of the illumination; there's renders pretty more colorful than this overused one, and the colors in the scenes of the show depends of the light as well.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
this isn't even close to reach the same objective that they did with the G.A. design. Is just Ness with blue eyes and some teeth that doesn't even fit with the pose. (Which is totally the opposite of the propouse of the teeths in G.A. Pacster).
The eyes are exactly the same, both had simple black eyes and I fixed Ness up to have eyes similar to GA Pac's, it just doesn't fit right. Sure different people like different things, and that's fine, but I just think Pac-Man looks incredibly weird and just plain wrong with those eyes. He's meant to be simple.

One could use the argument that the eyes give him more expression, but he had plenty of expression before. You could say he was even more expressive, actually. He actually used his eyebrows for emotions before, whereas now they're just perpetually glued into one position like some sort of prop on his head.

I just think it's a spit in the face of the classic design and the fans, what Pac-Man was intended to look like. It would be like suddenly changing Mario to look different after all these years, that just doesn't fly. It's like Sonic's Boom design, fine for a spin-off series, but the main design is what's in Smash, and that's how Pac-Man should be in Smash as well, true to the real Pac-Man. I feel this is a similar situation to Sonic Boom, where GA is just a spinoff made for kids with a new Pac-Man while the original will continue to live on, he already has in that mobile game. I would trust Namco and Sakurai to make Pac-Man look his finest in Smash.
I think that is one problem I have with the Ghostly Adventures design, he has a bit of a dull color scheme.
Well, he would have fit right in Brawl. :troll:

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
The eyes are exactly the same, both had simple black eyes and I fixed Ness up to have eyes similar to GA Pac's, it just doesn't fit right. Sure different people like different things, and that's fine, but I just think Pac-Man looks incredibly weird and just plain wrong with those eyes. He's meant to be simple.

One could use the argument that the eyes give him more expression, but he had plenty of expression before. You could say he was even more expressive, actually. He actually used his eyebrows for emotions before, whereas now they're just perpetually glued into one position like some sort of prop on his head.

I just think it's a spit in the face of the classic design and the fans, what Pac-Man was intended to look like. It would be like suddenly changing Mario to look different after all these years, that just doesn't fly. It's like Sonic's Boom design, fine for a spin-off series, but the main design is what's in Smash, and that's how Pac-Man should be in Smash as well, true to the real Pac-Man. I feel this is a similar situation to Sonic Boom, where GA is just a spinoff made for kids with a new Pac-Man while the original will continue to live on, he already has in that mobile game. I would trust Namco and Sakurai to make Pac-Man look his finest in Smash.

Well, he would have fit right in Brawl. :troll:
but IF, Ness get a redesign, receiving blue eyes or something, he would receive a totally revamp, principally in the face... is not just putting blue eyes in him, ... was not this what happened in Pac; ... as I said, he got everything gradually, .. he already got a similar design in "Pac-Man 2", this was kinda revisited in Pac-Man Party and then improved in SFxTK and Ghostly Adventures. there's no "wrong" on it, was proporsional, and he remains simple by my eyes.. he's no JRPG character. lolbut IF, Ness get a redesign, receiving blue eyes or something, he would receive a totally revamp, principally in the face... is not just putting blue eyes in him, ... was not this what happened in Pac; ... as I said, he got everything gradually, .. he already got a similar design in "Pac-Man 2", this was kinda revisited in Pac-Man Party and then improved in SFxTK and Ghostly Adventures. there's no "wrong" on it, was proporsional, and he remains simple by my eyes.. he's no JRPG character. lol

and yes, this design, principally talking about the eyes, give him much more expression than before... sure the Classic Old Pac-Man could reach some emoctions, but in 2D sprites and drawings... in 3D models he hardly could make more expressions than happy, hurted and maybe worried.

And, for information, Ghostly Adventures isn't a SpinOFF, and it's a entirely reboot of Pac-Man franchise... of course that NAMCO would like to promote him this way, .. you can believe that Sakurai has the power to change the designs by his tastes (principally when we're talking to 3rd party characters), but I wouldn't expect that for sure.. specially when the most interested in make Pac-Man shine in the spotlight, is NAMCO, and they will, for sure, keep the way in the Ghostly Adventures.

EDIT: and by how much I hate Modern Sonic (the character itself who debuted in Sonic Adventure), he changed gradually as well. The Sonic Boom design was a drastic jump, but at least is not something to pay attention, since this wouldn't hurt the main series... but the current Sonic model isn't violent for the eyes, his changes was done slowly, and was done the same way with Pac... if you played Pac-Man World, sleep for some years, and sudden start to watch Ghostly Adventures, of course you will find weird.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
but IF, Ness get a redesign, receiving blue eyes or something, he would receive a totally revamp, principally in the face... is not just putting blue eyes in him, ... was not this what happened in Pac; ... as I said, he got everything gradually, .. he already got a similar design in "Pac-Man 2", this was kinda revisited in Pac-Man Party and then improved in SFxTK and Ghostly Adventures. there's no "wrong" on it, was proporsional, and he remains simple by my eyes.. he's no JRPG character. lolbut IF, Ness get a redesign, receiving blue eyes or something, he would receive a totally revamp, principally in the face... is not just putting blue eyes in him, ... was not this what happened in Pac; ... as I said, he got everything gradually, .. he already got a similar design in "Pac-Man 2", this was kinda revisited in Pac-Man Party and then improved in SFxTK and Ghostly Adventures. there's no "wrong" on it, was proporsional, and he remains simple by my eyes.. he's no JRPG character. lol
Well no, it's not as big of a change as you make it out to be. Disregarding the hands and shoes, looking at just Pac-Man himself, the only major difference is the eyes, where they quite literally just slapped more detailed eyes over his more simplistic ones. The only reason it isn't as jarring as Ness is because, as you said, they did this gradually over time. But when you look at the designs side by side, you can clearly see that one of these things is not like the other, and Ness was a very good example of that.
and yes, this design, principally talking about the eyes, give him much more expression than before... sure the Classic Old Pac-Man could reach some emoctions, but in 2D sprites and drawings... in 3D models he hardly could make more expressions than happy, hurted and maybe worried.

And, for information, Ghostly Adventures isn't a SpinOFF, and it's a entirely reboot of Pac-Man franchise... of course that NAMCO would like to promote him this way, .. you can believe that Sakurai has the power to change the designs by his tastes (principally when we're talking to 3rd party characters), but I wouldn't expect that for sure.. specially when the most interested in make Pac-Man shine in the spotlight, is NAMCO, and they will, for surem keep the way in the Ghostly Adventures.
He certainly could make more expressions if they put the effort into it, watch any old black and white cartoon and you'll know what I'm talking about. If it is a reboot, then that's a terrible, terrible move on Namco's part, they would do best to justify that. And if it is infact a reboot of Pac-Man as a whole, then why exactly does this exist? It's new and it doesn't look like GA Pac-Man to me. I think they'll continue to make GA, but they'll also continue to use the classic Pac-Man, as not only is GA Pac different by design, he's also a completely different character, being a kid, and the only one of his kind, apparently. If GA really is a reboot, then that would mean Ms. Pac-Man was retconned out of existence, and I don't think they would do that.
EDIT: and by how much I hate Modern Sonic (the character itself who debuted in Sonic Adventure), he changed gradually as well. The Sonic Boom design was a drastic jump, but at least is not something to pay attention, since this wouldn't hurt the main series... but the current Sonic model isn't violent for the eyes, his changes was done slowly, and was done the same way with Pac... if you played Pac-Man World, sleep for some years, and sudden start to watch Ghostly Adventures, of course you will find weird.
But Modern Sonic has more detail, and his eyes are green, that should give him more emotion right? :troll:

I think it's a similar situation, but Sonic's was less drastic yet more sudden (the jump between Classic and Modern, not Modern and Boom). But like I said, it's not that I'm off-put by the design, just that they should not drop the classic design entirely. Like I said, it would be like Nintendo taking away Mario's hat and putting him in jeans and a t-shirt, it might be fine in some weird spin off thing, but if they completely replaced his classic design, then things wouldn't be pretty.
Well, that's enough nightmare fuel for tonight.
Wait until I do Kirby. :troll:

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Well no, it's not as big of a change as you make it out to be. Disregarding the hands and shoes, looking at just Pac-Man himself, the only major difference is the eyes, where they quite literally just slapped more detailed eyes over his more simplistic ones. The only reason it isn't as jarring as Ness is because, as you said, they did this gradually over time. But when you look at the designs side by side, you can clearly see that one of these things is not like the other, and Ness was a very good example of that.
the concept of the design was made him fresh and new, of course he will be different side by side with the original design.. lol. yet keeping the main characteristics, such as being yellow, triangulare eyebrows and have a big mouth. If Ness was rebooted, he could get new sneakers, and different ****, blue eyes, but his cap and some other characteristics would keep;

He certainly could make more expressions if they put the effort into it, watch any old black and white cartoon and you'll know what I'm talking about. If it is a reboot, then that's a terrible, terrible move on Namco's part, they would do best to justify that. And if it is infact a reboot of Pac-Man as a whole, then why exactly does this exist? It's new and it doesn't look like GA Pac-Man to me. I think they'll continue to make GA, but they'll also continue to use the classic Pac-Man, as not only is GA Pac different by design, he's also a completely different character, being a kid, and the only one of his kind, apparently. If GA really is a reboot, then that would mean Ms. Pac-Man was retconned out of existence, and I don't think they would do that.
NAMCO already stated about the reboot, you certainly missed that; .. and oh, Pac-Man Monsters? the real SpinOFF? ... which is a cheap game for Iphone? (which suprisingly was released outside Japan); oh,.. of course the classic Pac-Man will continue existing, .. he always will, .. even in the G.A. game he appears in a form of a coin, .. he's still a icon for NAMCO, but is like Sonic and Mario,... you still see sometimes the 8-Bit Mario around there, but the marketing is always in the "jeans detailed" Mario.

But Modern Sonic has more detail, and his eyes are green, that should give him more emotion right? :troll:

I think it's a similar situation, but Sonic's was less drastic yet more sudden (the jump between Classic and Modern, not Modern and Boom). But like I said, it's not that I'm off-put by the design, just that they should not drop the classic design entirely. Like I said, it would be like Nintendo taking away Mario's hat and putting him in jeans and a t-shirt, it might be fine in some weird spin off thing, but if they completely replaced his classic design, then things wouldn't be pretty.

Wait until I do Kirby. :troll:
but Sonic never was "Steamboat Willie style" before his first redesign,... my problem with Sonic is lack of essence in everything, not only in the design.. At least in Smash, I can see him as Sonic again, with nostalgia, but this is another case.... SEGA doesn't have respect for his own mascot, and this was proven with absurds as Sonic Unleashed, '06 and such...

And just for note, I'm a classic Pac-Man fan,.. I'm playing his games since the original, some way or another, and I can't get bothered if the new things that NAMCO is applying in his reboot, .. be design, characters, plots, ... geez, all for his good; I like a lot in fact; there's no "spitting in the face", the new Pac-Man is fresh, but I do see a lot of respect to the original concept. (different to Sonic in Adventure and beyond, btw).

Last edited:

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
Something tells me that Pacman's trailer at E3 would involve Mario, Sonic, and Megaman all together and Pacman would just show up and try to chomp them up in the trailer. They would be fighting in Battlefield or the Punch-Out stage and out of nowhere, Pacman would appear to surprise everyone. Then the trailer would go on to show Pacman's movesets and even his final smash. Then at the end, we'd see all 4 video game legends have a stare down and fight it out in a brawl.

-Super Smash Bros Wii U/3DS, where legends come together.

Oh and here's another picture of Pac-Man i drew at Miiverse last night

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Okay, I'm very tired to debate some certain subjects about Pac-Man; ... We can, always, agree that we all love, respect and want the same character, right?.. Individually, we can dislike some aspects from his modern appearences, as well the classic incarnation, SpinOFFs, anything... but why we're cheering for? Isn't Pac-Man we all want in Smash4? Is Pac-Man we'll have in Smash4, dudes!
-- Ghostly Adventures based? likely, but carrying a legacy of years of Pac-Man series,.. in Sakurai's hands things can't go wrong, even by the eyes of the most critical classic fan; ...if Capcom did something nice with him (Mokujin-bot, aside [though it's justified]), why Masahiro Sakurai; the guy who always do a beautiful homage for each Nintendo franchise in every console generation since the Nintendo 64, could spoil NAMCO's biggest mascot?.. Oh, wait, the VideoGame symbol, the nerd pride icon, the videogame's Mickey Mouse? AND, specially, with the own NAMCO Bandai close to him, that's helping the yellow guy be more and more in the spotlight since 2010?

You have got bothered by Samus' Other M incarnation? She's still the same strong symbol from Metroid! I'm bothered by Modern Sonic?.. How could I be bothered with him in Smash? Sakurai makes him looking and acting as I remember with affection from the SEGA Genesis days! ... We have so many examples...

Friends,... Pac-Man is a 30+ years old character, and he doesn't have just one fanbase, he captivated numerous generations; and still is making new fans with his reboot; Pac-Man united us, classic and new fans, and I'm sure that the little Pacster will ensure moments of joy with his presence Smash4! If there is any dissatisfaction, I can only blame the disgruntled guy, because I trust mascot I chose to be a fan! Waka-Waka! :D

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I've always found discussion about Pac-Man's design to be greatly unnecessary. He's a yellow ball. There's not much they can do to drastically change his appearance, and at the end of the day, he'll always be a yellow ball. I'm just concerned with whether or not his games are fun.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I'm working on a hypothetical list of S-Flag Summons.
Is Centipede a Namco game?

Staarih

Smash Master
It ain't a true character support thread without a little debating :troll:

I personally can't wait to see what Pac-Man looks in the game. Of course I personally hope for a nod towards a more classic design, but I think it'll end up being closer to the GA-design. However, I think it could be a mixture of things, it's not like even Mario, Peach or the likes look exactly like they do in their respective games: they are more detailed in Smash.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
It ain't a true character support thread without a little debating :troll:

I personally can't wait to see what Pac-Man looks in the game. Of course I personally hope for a nod towards a more classic design, but I think it'll end up being closer to the GA-design. However, I think it could be a mixture of things, it's not like even Mario, Peach or the likes look exactly like they do in their respective games: they are more detailed in Smash.
yep, but we don't need to discuss between ourselves;.. Pac-Man is the same Pac-Man for all us, we all want the same character in Smash4, and NAMCO and Sakurai will deliver it for us; let's use the time to dabate and discuss about good things about his presence in the game. =)..

Oh, and I apologize, because it's always my fault, of course... you guys are always agreeing between each other; ...in fact I'm a bit sick (literally, it's not an expression), and I think I'm getting stressed by nothing by the effects of my medication. :T
sorry.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
So guys, June 10th is the date Nintendo is doing their E3 Direct. What do you all think? Is this the day we'll see Pac-Man revealed?

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
So guys, June 10th is the date Nintendo is doing their E3 Direct. What do you all think? Is this the day we'll see Pac-Man revealed?
I don't even want to think about it, honestly. If he's not revealed then, I don't think we're getting him at all. June 10th is going to make or break him, and it's not that fat off. The tension is getting to me.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
we have May as an extra date to keep the eye, but he's definitely going to be revealed at E3, no doubts. =3

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
S-Flag Summon List, by Zzuxon:
Mrs. Pac-Man
Pac-Man Ghosts (All 5)
Galaga Ships
Dig-Dug
Pookas and Fygars
Mappy
Xevious Player
Rally-X Car
Bosconian Station
Pole Position Car

And, just maybe
Heihachi
Llyod Irving
Klonoa
Nightmare

Any other suggestions?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I will say that if Pac-Man isn't revealed at E3, there's a strong possibility that he won't be in the game.

I say this because E3 is a golden opportunity for a reveal like this. It's when Snake and Mega Man in the past were revealed, and it could easily apply to Pac-Man too.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Mrs. Pac-Man
Pac-Man Ghosts (All 5)
Galaga Ships
Dig-Dug
Pookas and Fygars
Mappy
Xevious Player
Rally-X Car
Bosconian Station
Pole Position Car

And, just maybe
Heihachi
Llyod Irving
Klonoa
Nightmare

Any other suggestions?
I don't think that it will summon (if it summons) any other character than 8-Bit sprite ones, so Tekken, "Tales of" and others character are out of question, imo; .. I bet just on Rally-X car, Taizo Hori with Pookas and Frygars, the Ghost Gang, Galaga bugs and maybe Mappy.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I don't think that it will summon (if it summons) any other character than 8-Bit sprite ones, so Tekken, "Tales of" and others character are out of question, imo; .. I bet just on Rally-X car, Taizo Hori with Pookas and Frygars, the Ghost Gang, Galaga bugs and maybe Mappy.
I agree, but I'd like to see acknowledgement of those series, which is why I said just maybe in that section.

Shalashaska

Banned via Warnings
Mrs. Pac-Man
Pac-Man Ghosts (All 5)
Galaga Ships
Dig-Dug
Pookas and Fygars
Mappy
Xevious Player
Rally-X Car
Bosconian Station
Pole Position Car

And, just maybe
Heihachi
Llyod Irving
Klonoa
Nightmare

Any other suggestions?
Sky Kid and the guy from Rolling Thunder, perhaps?

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I will say that if Pac-Man isn't revealed at E3, there's a strong possibility that he won't be in the game.

I say this because E3 is a golden opportunity for a reveal like this. It's when Snake and Mega Man in the past were revealed, and it could easily apply to Pac-Man too.
I agree. Personally, if he's not shown at E3, I will be convinced that he's not in the game.

On the subject of Special Flag summons, I'd like to see Valkyrie, from the Valkyrie series.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
we have May as an extra date to keep the eye, but he's definitely going to be revealed at E3, no doubts. =3
We are probably getting the S Flag and Galaga sprites as Pic of the Day on Pac-Man's 34th anniversary in May (hopefully)...

Hoping that Sakurai gives a hint about Pac-Man being playable in SSB4...

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Mrs. Pac-Man
Pac-Man Ghosts (All 5)
Galaga Ships
Dig-Dug
Pookas and Fygars
Mappy
Xevious Player
Rally-X Car
Bosconian Station
Pole Position Car

And, just maybe
Heihachi
Llyod Irving
Klonoa
Nightmare

Any other suggestions?
Namco's first character: Gee Bee.

Doesn't have a sprite of the character itself, but it's easy enough to make and would be a nice homage.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
We are probably getting the S Flag and Galaga sprites as Pic of the Day on Pac-Man's 34th anniversary in May (hopefully)...

Hoping that Sakurai gives a hint about Pac-Man being playable in SSB4...
I will love so much if Sakurai do this thing; :3... But it could be too much for my heart! XD

Top Bottom