• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Well, I guess we all can't agree with everything all the time; ... but I'm alone in this opinion. =P.
(though I'm still glad that NAMCO continue with their marketing with Pac, be with Monsters or Ghostly Adventures 2,... he is stronger than never)

aliensalmon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aliensalmon
3DS FC
1204-0174-6540
Pac-Man...I support! I'd love to see the famous Mario vs. Sonic vs. Mega Man vs. Pac-Man battles!

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I had a dream once,... It had Reggie presenting the Nintendo's E3 conference, as they used to do some years before the Nintendo Direct be introduced (hopefully, they'll have a full show this year);

and then... after talk about Smash4, the newcomers, and how much effort Sakurai and his team are putting in the game, Reggie shows one more trailer; it's the Pac-Man one!.. after that, we hear people applauding; .. and then Reggie says, while some screeenshots of Pac in Smash appears in the screen: "Mario, Sonic, Pac-Man and Mega Man.. all together in the same game.. in the same battlefield; Which game offered this for you? .. This is one rare opportunity, and you will decide who's the best, only on your Nintendo 3DS and Wii U"

'u'

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Well, I guess we all can't agree with everything all the time; ... but I'm alone in this opinion. =P.
(though I'm still glad that NAMCO continue with their marketing with Pac, be with Monsters or Ghostly Adventures 2,... he is stronger than never)
Nah, dude, you're not alone. I've absolutely adored Pac-Man over the years, and I've watched him evolve from his arcade original to the GA model he has today, and I gotta say, next to the classic broken-line Pac-Man that Namco has used here and there, the Ghostly Adventures look is my favorite Pac-Man ever. I love how expressive and animated he can be, and those bright blue eyes really give him a lot of personality. Most people don't like them, and I'm not sure why. They say the eyes are the window to the soul, and being an artist, I can tell you that eyes can convey nearly any emotion by themselves. I remember drawing Pac-Man as a kid, and trying to make him look in a different direction or look sad or mad with just those black Pac-Man-shaped eyes was so hard to do. I felt so limited. If you wanted Pac-Man looking a direction, you literally had to make his whole head turn. But now, with the GA redesign, they can put so many different expressions on his face, and it's all because of those eyes. They still have the classic Pac-Man shape, but now they can do so much more. Plus the blue really gives him some more color (not that I ever minded the yellow, red, and orange.)

So yeah, you're not alone in that. GA Pac-Man is best Pac-Man in my eyes, and I hope he stays around for years to come.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The new design of Pac-Man reminds me of the new design Sonic received in Sonic Adventure.

Both designs are clearly done to take the original design and expand on it with more detail. Like for example, both of the new designs expands on details like the eyes and shoes. Though in the case of Sonic, one of the reasons Sonic got a more slender build was to look more built for speed. In the case of Pac-Man, it seems to have been done in order to give Pac-Man stronger expressions.

Though I will say that the ghosts Blinky, Inky, Pinky, and Clyde I will freely admit I like better then the old designs, and that has to do with the factor of divergent character evolution. Though I'm more so talking the incarnation from Pac-Man and The Ghostly Adventures, the ones used in Pac-Man Party looks bad. The main thing I like is that the ghosts aren't palette swaps of each other, with there being a clear cut difference between each ghost, unlike the old designs where it was solely a color coding thing that caused a bit of confusion with the varies incarnations, notably Clyde and Blinky being mixed up.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I like the goal of the Ghostly Adventures design, but I honestly feel like Pac-Man Party's design just does it better.

Still has the added details and still expresses emotion well, but uses more saturated colors, less lanky limbs, and brighter colors (shoes, basically). I also prefer the way that emotion is shown with an exaggerated cartoon style over the eyelid-emotions that GA Pac-Man has. (Plus, his eyebrows have a purpose in this design. How cool is that?!)

Last edited:

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
I just want to see Pac Man because MARIO, SONIC, MEGA MAN, AND PAC MAN IN THE SAME GAME. Do you know how big that could be? That would be ALL OVER THE NEWS.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Came here to say that I definitely support Pac-Man. The Pac-Man supporters have been through a bunch of crap just because they support him, so I support him for you guy's strong-willed determination. As long as Snake also returns.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
In terms of design, I prefer the original, the original design has a simplistic charm to it, something I love about any character, but the Ghostly Adventures grew on me very quickly. It gives him a more younger appearance, which in the cartoon, he is young.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Came here to say that I definitely support Pac-Man. The Pac-Man supporters have been through a bunch of crap just because they support him, so I support him for you guy's strong-willed determination. As long as Snake also returns.
<3

In terms of design, I prefer the original, the original design has a simplistic charm to it, something I love about any character, but the Ghostly Adventures grew on me very quickly. It gives him a more younger appearance, which in the cartoon, he is young.

Which original?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
The one on the right.
I'd call that one the "Classic" or "World" design, since "Original" applies to the original more than any other.

Timeline:
Original (Original Pac-Man-Pac & Pal)
Pac-Land (Pac-Land/Hanna Barbera Cartoon exclusive)
Pac-Man 2 (Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures exclusive)
Classic/World (Pac-Mania/Pac-Man Adventures in Time-Championship Edition DX)
Party (Pac-Man Party until Ghostly Adventures)
Ghostly Adventures (Current)
Monsters (Pac-Man Monsters exclusive)

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I'd call that one the "Classic" or "World" design, since "Original" applies to the original more than any other.

Timeline:
I pretty much see it as how America and Japan had different designs for Sonic back in the day, they have some differences, but all in all, they're Classic Sonic.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I pretty much see it as how America and Japan had different designs for Sonic back in the day, they have some differences, but all in all, they're Classic Sonic.
Understandable. I personally see the significantly smaller nose, larger eyes, and orange gloves as being a big enough difference to count it as a distinct design.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I've been playing around with some alt colours on my latest Pac-Render.
[collapse=] "Pac-Man" "Inky" "Blinky" "Pinky" "Clyde" "Pal" "Maze" "Retro" "Super-Pac" "Power-Pellet"
[/collapse]
Any thoughts on the new direction? I gave his skin a tint to it this time as well.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Nah, dude, you're not alone. I've absolutely adored Pac-Man over the years, and I've watched him evolve from his arcade original to the GA model he has today, and I gotta say, next to the classic broken-line Pac-Man that Namco has used here and there, the Ghostly Adventures look is my favorite Pac-Man ever. I love how expressive and animated he can be, and those bright blue eyes really give him a lot of personality. Most people don't like them, and I'm not sure why. They say the eyes are the window to the soul, and being an artist, I can tell you that eyes can convey nearly any emotion by themselves. I remember drawing Pac-Man as a kid, and trying to make him look in a different direction or look sad or mad with just those black Pac-Man-shaped eyes was so hard to do. I felt so limited. If you wanted Pac-Man looking a direction, you literally had to make his whole head turn. But now, with the GA redesign, they can put so many different expressions on his face, and it's all because of those eyes. They still have the classic Pac-Man shape, but now they can do so much more. Plus the blue really gives him some more color (not that I ever minded the yellow, red, and orange.)

So yeah, you're not alone in that. GA Pac-Man is best Pac-Man in my eyes, and I hope he stays around for years to come.
Thanks for it. XD.. but you know, I'm not worried about how Pac will look in Smash (I'm sure that will be his current design), and not even about the direction that NAMCO will take with that.. seems they're really committed to mark Pac-Man in a new generation again. =)... Pac is definitely back! (though he always was around, ... just needed to NAMCO make the things bigger for him again, and I'm glad they reached it. =) ).

really thanks for the support, .. and these crap we need to pass through, is just a normal thing about any character, I guess.. I just think that some have more supporters and this make the "haters" more shy to manifest themselves... but it's totally annoying anyway, .. because this, I think I can spoke by everyone when I say that this kind of support is very welcome! =)

Timeline:
Pac had, almost one design per game during a time... I think we can just call "era", as Sonic fans usually do, the Classic Arcade cabinet, the Pac-Man World one and the "modern" that would tie all together Party, SFxTK and Ghostly Adventures.

well, I already posted this a while ago, but it's good for reference:

EDIT: I didn't put "Puckman" though... I thought that first Arcade game renamed "Pac-Man" in Japan would be more adequate; .. since the artstyle is the same, with the traces with gaps and all. :\/

Last edited:

Iblistech

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NeosCross
3DS FC
3179-6577-8881
Switch FC
SW-7096-0760-2425
I downloaded Pac Man Dash and Pac Man Monsters from the App Store on my phone while I was out eating dinner with my family earlier.

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I downloaded Pac Man Dash and Pac Man Monsters from the App Store on my phone while I was out eating dinner with my family earlier.
I really liked Pac-Man Dash. It can be a bit repetitive later on, but I beat everything the game had to offer because I actually enjoyed it. Pac-Man Monsters is still eating away a good majority of my time. xD So addicting.

well, I already posted this a while ago, but it's good for reference:

EDIT: I didn't put "Puckman" though... I thought that first Arcade game renamed "Pac-Man" in Japan would be more adequate; .. since the artstyle is the same, with the traces with gaps and all. :\/
Ahhhh.. I must have missed this. That's so awesome seeing them all side by side.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'd love some of those looks with hats to be alts for him. I'd almost like if Pac Man had a Jigglypuf/Pikachu thing going on for him with varying tops:

The TV show hat, Pacland hat, Ms. Pacman's bow, and some random hat that Sakurai was like ''Here's gangsta Pac with backwards hat, yo!"

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'd love some of those looks with hats to be alts for him. I'd almost like if Pac Man had a Jigglypuf/Pikachu thing going on for him with varying tops:

The TV show hat, Pacland hat, Ms. Pacman's bow, and some random hat that Sakurai was like ''Here's gangsta Pac with backwards hat, yo!"
Maybe instead of limiting Pac-Man costumes to other Pac-Man characters, Pac-Man could represent different Namco arcade characters too!

Pac-Man's feathered cap (Pac-Land)
Ms. Pac-Man's bow & high heels
Jr. Pac-Man's propeller beanie
Professor Pac-Man's mortarboard
Miru's green skin & pink bow/shoes (Pac & Pal)

Mappy's police hat
Dig Dug's helmet
Pooka's red skin & yellow goggles/shoes (Dig Dug)
Gilgamesh's knight helmet (The Tower of Druaga) - vaguely resembles Sir Chomp-A-Lot from the 1980's cartoon

Gam3rALO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gam3rALO
Havent been on the boards for a while. But first post back has to be here. Pac Man Supporter for life!

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Havent been on the boards for a while. But first post back has to be here. Pac Man Supporter for life!
Well there's great news if you haven't seen Aprils smash direct after the direct there was more than 200 Potd's one of them was a S flag from several namco games and on top of that in another picture the aliens from galaga which could be from the flag due to how charizard is holding it

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
No thoughts on the previous pallets? Usually there's some really good input. Arcedenik made me think of something though, so I altered two pallets.
"Pac-Man" "Blinky" "Inky" "Pinky" "Clyde"

"Pal" "Galaxian" "Dig-Dug" "Power Pellet" "Retro"
The first set is Pac-Man's default pallet and four pallets based on the classic ghost gang. The second set has the green team pallet based on Pal, two other Namco references for pallets, Galaxian and Dig Diug, the Power Pellet pallet inspired by how the ghosts looked under the affect, and a retro gray scale pallet.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
No thoughts on the previous pallets? Usually there's some really good input. Arcedenik made me think of something though, so I altered two pallets.

The first set is Pac-Man's default pallet and four pallets based on the classic ghost gang. The second set has the green team pallet based on Pal, two other Namco references for pallets, Galaxian and Dig Diug, the Power Pellet pallet inspired by how the ghosts looked under the affect, and a retro gray scale pallet.
Could I have the normal pac-man render?

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Ahhhh.. I must have missed this. That's so awesome seeing them all side by side.
Thanks, glad you liked! =)

yes, this is actually what I think that would be better for Pac-Man Alts.. He shouldn't change color (as seen above, by @ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux ), Pac-Man not being yellow is not Pac-Man. (though already exist some multicolors Pac-Mans in Battle Royale, which I dislike :T)... is like Sonic not being blue in his alt colors. .. I think he could get some hat doing reference to some others eras of himself, or maybe some other NAMCO characters, and a subtle change of tone of yellow.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
yes, this is actually what I think that would be better for Pac-Man Alts.. He shouldn't change color (as seen above, by @ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux ), Pac-Man not being yellow is not Pac-Man. (though already exist some multicolors Pac-Mans in Battle Royale, which I dislike :T)... is like Sonic not being blue in his alt colors. .. I think he could get some hat doing reference to some others eras of himself, or maybe some other NAMCO characters, and a subtle change of tone of yellow.
The only non-yellow recolor I'd be okay with would be a Pooka recolor.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
He could use Pooka's goggles in his head (I mean, above his triangular eyebrows), and yet still be yellow. =P.. but I think that the gloves and the shoes could change colors normally, .. this is characteristic from him too, but not as much as his yellow skin... and Pac already had brown, yellow, red and orange gloves, etc.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I will say that they better not go with the Sonic route and try to retain the yellow coloring with only subtle tone differences.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
The problem with Sonic is that, besides the subtle change of blue tone, the only color difference is the rings in his wrists, which doesn't make much difference. In my opinion, in each alt. Pac should get a different yellow tone of skin, different colors for his gloves and shoes (which is already a big difference visually) and maybe a hat (as we were talking here).

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero

Power pellet render is best render.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
New topic: people are talking about Boss Battles in Smash Run, .. I don't recall Sakurai saying something about this kind of thing in the Direct, .. and would sound weird having just 5 minutes to try to get every upgrade you can and still battle a boss. But, you guys think that Pac can get some enemies in Smash Run as Mega Man?.. Generic ghosts which when attacked turns in goo and after some seconds respawn? ... maybe Fire Ghosts too, a Pac-Bear... and if after all, there is bosses in this mode, maybe Betrayus or Fluffy?

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
New topic: people are talking about Boss Battles in Smash Run, .. I don't recall Sakurai saying something about this kind of thing in the Direct, .. and would sound weird having just 5 minutes to try to get every upgrade you can and still battle a boss. But, you guys think that Pac can get some enemies in Smash Run as Mega Man?.. Generic ghosts which when attacked turns in goo and after some seconds respawn? ... maybe Fire Ghosts too, a Pac-Bear... and if after all, there is bosses in this mode, maybe Betrayus or Fluffy?
I'd expect Pookas or Fygars before ghosts. I think ghosts would end up in Pac-Man's moveset and/or as stage elements. But it's possible.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
They'll probably have generic ghosts (based on Ghostly Adventures) with a few other types like the Fire variation. As for bosses, they can easily choose Betrayus since he's more relevant than any other antagonist not named the Ghostly Gang.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I'd expect Pookas or Fygars before ghosts. I think ghosts would end up in Pac-Man's moveset and/or as stage elements. But it's possible.
Frygars and Pookas would work as well; But I don't think that Pac will use some sort of ghosts in his moveset; and I actually wouldn't like that, 'cause would be not very faithfull to his real abilities (wouldn't be a totally disappointment anyway, after all, we see Ganondorf and Toon Link trapped in the same fate)... and the Ghosts are iconic anyway; .. but I do expect them (if not the Ghost Gang) as hazards in Pac's stage, but this wouldn't prevent them to be also enemies in Smash Run, I guess.

They'll probably have generic ghosts (based on Ghostly Adventures) with a few other types like the Fire variation. As for bosses, they can easily choose Betrayus since he's more relevant than any other antagonist not named the Ghostly Gang.
the generic ghosts, will be interesting.. since, we see that they're intangible to other types of attacks in Pac-Man series in general; and principally the Fire Ghosts from G.A., we have to put the fire out of them before chomp, .. and aside some items in Smash, I don't think that any character would have the ability to handle with this; ... they would be very annoying, which is actually nice for a mode like Smash Run. XD.

And for boss, I thought that Fluffy would work, just by the fact that he's giant and wild. =P... but Betrayus is a better choice, of course.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
I think if Pac-man is in the game than they will have enemies from his series around and they'll most likely use the generic ghosts since that would make the most sense for the Smash Run. There seems to be quite a few dark areas in the Smash Run, so i'd say the ghosts could appear there together with Chandelure. As for Boss Battles, i dont think the Smash Run will have it, but if it were (or if the Wii U single player gets something with boss battles) than i think Betrayus is likely to be a boss. If not him than i can see Sakurai surprising us and appealing to the Pac-man wolrd fans by adding Spooky as a boss. However, that chances of that happening are pretty low, but it'd still be awesome to see happen.

Top Bottom