• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official SWF Tier List v8

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Ok, Jigglypuff is NOT getting to the top of MY tier list.

I mean, come on. Her weight is to laugh at, her strength his terrible, she has terrible dash speed, and is downright dumb.

You want Jigglypuff to be good? Play Melee, but don't get her in my S tier.

Sünta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sünta_Foot
3DS FC
2234-7187-3957

I mean, come on. Her weight is to laugh at, her strength his terrible, she has terrible dash speed, and is downright dumb.

I was only slightly joshing, no need to dis the Jiggs
I'm going to stop now because I'm attracting a lot of attention.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941

You don't know how things work around these parts, do you?

Rizen

Smash Legend
Well now that we've all relived the 2010 way to beat a poorly spaced G&W Bair again time to move on...
I'd like to hear about the Jiggz/Bowser MU. That gave my Bowser a lot of trouble in the past (need to master the GR>Uair timing :c). It's +2 Bowser iirc...

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
It's slightly Bowser's advantage because of the grab release.
Nothing too absurd because Jigglypuff's spacing game is superior, and he's an easy Rest target (not just due to size, but just the way he spaces and the moves he uses) so Puff can KO early as well.

It's also very feasible to play in such a way so as to avoid the grab at KO%. Puff is, as I always say, very good at waiting for the right moment to strike. It's not a very big deal if you play around Bowser's pretty bad grab.

I'd put it as -1, but I can see -2. Don't want to speak with too much certainty as I haven't played a top level Bowser before, but no top level Bowser has played me either so it works both ways.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Jiggz can be very hard to space if you're caught off guard. I lost to jiggz using G&W until I learned the MU lol. I need to go to training and practice Bowser's GR>Uair. What % will that KO Jiggz at?

Rizen

Smash Legend
I didn't practice at all before playing friendlies with a local Jiggz player, lol.
Jigglypuff is hard to space even without trying to grab as Bowser. The GR does give him an extra edge but would you say Bowser goes even or +1 vs Jiggz without it?

Luigi player

Smash Master
I didn't practice at all before playing friendlies with a local Jiggz player, lol.
Jigglypuff is hard to space even without trying to grab as Bowser. The GR does give him an extra edge but would you say Bowser goes even or +1 vs Jiggz without it?
Probably +2

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
All moves can be punished when they are mis-spaced, that's not a special thing you can use to discount bair.
I'm not "discounting bair." Praxis' YouTube video has a really aggressive name, but what he's showing isn't useless just because the bairs in the video were poorly spaced; GaW's bair is not in any way improved by the ability to hit him out of it between hitboxes either. So what if the bairs shown were poorly spaced? Poor spacing happens all the time and at all levels of play because:

1. mistakes happen, and
2. players don't have 100% agency as there is another player that also wants to win. This isn't a single player game.

In addition, spacing affects only range. Range is important, but what about speed? Armor? There are many moves that can hit GaW between the hitboxes of a well-spaced bair.

That doesn't mean I think bair is necessarily bad, but you guys are dismissing something important and useful because "spacing bad, dumb video." GaW has dozens of problems as a character anyway; this is the least of his worries.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
No one is denying that, in fact, no one was even talking about how good or bad G&W is as a character, or how good his bair is

Dark.Pch said, very black-and-white, "If I get baired, I can smash DI out of his bair and get to the other side of him to punish with my bair or nair."
I laughed at this, people were like "wut it's true u can SDI through bair and punish G&W", and here we are now.

If you're not discounting bair, then you're fine lol

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
In addition, spacing affects only range. Range is important, but what about speed? Armor? There are many moves that can hit GaW between the hitboxes of a well-spaced bair.
Not if the bair is used correctly, which means using it while descending, because that will trigger the landing-hitbox, removing the long timegap between hitboxes.
Descending. Not ascending, which is my biggest gripe with Praxis' video. He mostly just floats in the air with bair instead of landing with it(and when he finally did, he made sure to do it with the worst possible spacing)

Very few moves can punish a well-spaced, descending bair. From the top of my head I can think of: shuttle loop, dolphin slash and maaaybe Bowser's fortress.
Might be a couple more, but those are the only ones I've noticed to be able to reliably punish most bair attempts.

So that's why that video is stupid. The bair-usage is fundamentally incorrect. People can mess up spacing and such, but doing a rising SH bair is pretty dumb and purely inexperience against characters with relatively quick OoS-options.

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
Raptor have you ever played Salem in bracket?
If so how did that go XD
I know where you're going with this and it actually wasn't bad at all. Game 3 last stock and then the most recent time I got 2-0'd but not badly at all. I don't know why every time I play you JUST ****ING BODY THE LIVING **** OUT OF ME.

****ing bully

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Blacktwins' Yoshi does better against me...though it still doesn't do well at all. Maybe I'm just really good at the MU or something.

I swear that **** is at least +2 for ZSS though, it's fun fighting a character where jab is safe on shield. In most MUs jab isn't even safe on hit XD

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
(shaya marth sucks d00d)
Yoshi is worse though
Every character with a low CD move (dash attacks, up tilts, down tilts) and/or uses aerials at all has this problem.
Except MK really... who's base knockback off of his dtilt and dash attack combo 60% of the cast from 0% (which is dumb really... everyone else suffers this problem lol)

Rizen

Smash Legend
^MK, 'nuff said.

I'd like to hear about the Sonic vs Yoshi MU. I know nothing about it lol.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
In theory, Yoshi ****s all over Sonic, but in practice Yoshi is bad so it's even.

I hate that MU though, I'd rather just go Bowser or Mario since from my experience they do better in it somehow lol.

That or I just like having a usable shield against Sonic, probably that.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Both characters are super annoying. Definitely -4 for spectators.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I can't think of a more stupid matchup than Yoshi vs Sonic.

Except like Kirby dittos.

:059:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Kirby can't get anything from another kirby.

Kirby ditto MU is -2 already.

Tbh I can't think of any ditto worse than the ICs ditto. It's so hilarious I can't even take it seriously. :p

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
Blacktwins' Yoshi does better against me...though it still doesn't do well at all. Maybe I'm just really good at the MU or something.

I swear that **** is at least +2 for ZSS though, it's fun fighting a character where jab is safe on shield. In most MUs jab isn't even safe on hit XD
I dunno I'd say -1. I still wanna play you though :p

Yoshi v Sonic is an extremely boring/stupid mu where both characters just get single hits over and over until both are at kill percent and then someone kills the other in like an hour then you do it all over again. It's very even.

Top Bottom