• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Norcal/Bay Area/DBR:NorCal Nevers: Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Maple Story belongs in the dumpster.

Anyone want to come over to my house in Novato to smash?

Also, if the biweekly happens, are we good to go on the Swiss format?

Bullfrog

Smash Journeyman
Yay on the 23rd!

MapleStory sucked out my soul once. I don't have enough left for it to suck out anymore. I lost like a year of my life. I kinda hope I wouldn't have gone in it at all. You will ALL feel the same way when you're done. I was almost a priest, too. >_<

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
Better Be MapleStory at this NCB..or no deal LOL

Right Shadow?
LOLz yah biweeklies are way better with MS, I don't think I'll be able to play as much though, I need to actually start practicing smash now:urg: , I'll still play though but off and on :ohwell:

Miharu

Smash Hero
LOLz yah biweeklies are way better with MS, I don't think I'll be able to play as much though, I need to actually start practicing smash now:urg: , I'll still play though but off and on :ohwell:
I've never understood why people played MS. It's so...boring. Just hack and slash at the same **** things over and over again.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
I can go to Novato to Smash. And Guilty Gear would be good too. My FRCs are a little stale.

When would this be, and who else can go? I can probably take 2-3 people with me, but they'll have to at least buy me some McDonalds.

EDIT: I'd be leaving from Berkeley, not from Davis. That means you'd be about 1 3/4 hours out of my way. And that's just one way, I'd bet I'd have to drive you back too. Sorry, but that's a little much for me.

Oh, and I'd be more than happy to help with Swiss at the next Bi-weekly.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
Scamp where would you be leaving from? Money is not an issue for me. Though I suspect I'd be a bit out of your way - check the GSC.

edit: That's no problem. I figured it was a long shot anyways.

What exactly is Swiss format?

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Swiss System is a tournament format that uses a set number of rounds, usually 5 or more. There is no elimination, so everybody in the tournament plays the number of rounds the tournament has. After each round, players are paired against other participants that have roughly the same number of wins and losses. The system is predominately used in Chess tournaments, and I'm pretty sure more information can be found at www.uschess.org

While a Double Elimination system is very accurate at telling you who the top three are in a given tournament, a Swiss System is much more accurate when getting lower into the list of players. Here is a quick example...

4 rounds
12 participants

round 1
1vs7 winner=1
2vs8 winner=2
3vs9 winner=9
4vs10 winner=4
5vs11 winner=5
6vs12 winner=6

round 2
1vs5
2vs6
4vs9
3vs10
7vs11
8vs12

Now I only went over the first two rounds, but I think you can get the point. You can probably Google the term or ask Jeeves and get a much better answer. It's a pretty popular system for certain types of tournaments, again namely Chess. In chess however, the parings also take into account the color of each player in the previous round. So for example say, a Smash tournament using Swiss would pair players 1vs3 and 2vs4, if 1 and 3 were both black last round, and 2 and 4 were both white, a chess tournament would pair 1vs4 and 2vs3. Another thing to take note of is that in traditional swiss system tournaments, no two players will play each other more than once. In smash this would be a slightly bigger problem than in chess, because in chess there is the possibility of a draw, in which each players earn a half point (.5, where a win is 1 and a loss is 0). An advanced pairing system would be pretty usefull here.

Also, the East Coast tournament Getting Schooled 2 used a modified Swiss System format and featured over 100 players nation-wide. You can probably do a search here on smashboards to find out more about that.

Swiss System is pretty good, I think you guys'll like it ^_^

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I can go to Novato to Smash. And Guilty Gear would be good too. My FRCs are a little stale.

When would this be, and who else can go? I can probably take 2-3 people with me, but they'll have to at least buy me some McDonalds.
Basically anytime that I don't have random family stuff going on which I never know because my parents always tell me ****e with about 38 milliseconds notice.

What exactly is Swiss format?
www.google.com

But seriously, read the last few pages of this thread, we had a big long discussion about it. Enlightenment was had by all.

Also Bob, get my # from one of the millions that do have it, I don't wanna post it on boards.

Also I probably really suck at GGXX now because I haven't played in about 3 months. But I would still play it with peeps. I want to learn Axl.

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
btw you're hella good
LOLOL I heard that so many times at the Sac biweekly:dizzy: hahaha.

Well...personally I like Double Elimination better, but Swiss would be something different which probly wouldn't be a bad thing, so I'm down for helping out with it and having it this weekend (if it happens...hopefully:p ).

HylianLord

Smash Ace
lol justin doesn't like me as a partner ^^. oh well lol... not like i'm that useful ><.

mmm swiss sounds like fun. i never liked double elim cause its just... so linear. although, i still don't get how swiss works even after reading the wiki thing ><. oh well don't bother trying to explain it to me, i'll just go with the flow ! (aka like flowinwater, as justin says ><)

FALCOMIST

Smash Ace
lol justin doesn't like me as a partner ^^. oh well lol... not like i'm that useful ><.

mmm swiss sounds like fun. i never liked double elim cause its just... so linear. although, i still don't get how swiss works even after reading the wiki thing ><. oh well don't bother trying to explain it to me, i'll just go with the flow ! (aka like flowinwater, as justin says ><)
lol xD Flow with it like fosho haha xD. Dont hate u as a partner -__-.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Also I probably really suck at GGXX now because I haven't played in about 3 months. But I would still play it with peeps. I want to learn Axl.

Funny. That's one of the characters I'm learning now. I can help you, though I'm not excellent with him yet.

You have my number, give me a call. Or get on AIM and talk to me there.

MyKo

Smash Lord
You Probably Can Tell After IP Tracking Me.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Hahahah I'm jk Sky! Wait...........................am I?
THATS THE BEST

F
K
N

POST i have EVER SEEN OMFG

usually i open this stupid boring thread and..WOW FINALLY SOMETHING GOOD LOKL!!!!!!!!!$!$!$!$$!!$!$

!$
!$!$
!$
IT DESERVE SSPAM

L
$!$
!P$!LOP$!!$$LOP

.....this keyboard sucks. my other microsoft one is like rapid fire for "LOL's" T__T..ok rey that was gg.^^

Dread101

Smash Journeyman
Lunin!! For Making A Fool Out Of Me With Dk I Shall Repay U!! In A Dk Ditto!! Prepare! For U Are About To Meet Ur Maker!
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
Why do you like Double Elim more?
I overlooked this post my bad XD, I like it better just because it has been done many more times, so it always runs very smoothly. There's no controversy over who has to play who or anything like that. I do like a change sometimes though, but I've never done Swiss so iono...w/e =P

FALCOMIST said:
WATCH OUT for the new team around the block

the BTZOMIST xD.
LOL hella dangerous, but eww name XDXD

KizzoGirl

Smash Ace
The biweekly originally scheduled for this Saturday (Dec 23) has been definately down-throwed (cancelled). The campus is closed from 12/22 to 1/1. The campus will be so closed, the building might not even have heating, water, or even electricity.

Sorry guys, but it looks like Falcomist's Donkey Kong's Down throw is much too strong. Wait til next time, and see if Hyuga's Roy has a stronger down tilt.

HylianLord

Smash Ace
wahhhhhh T_T... won't be able to go to any more biweeklies cause school starts jan 2 ><... meaning i won't get a chance to get on PR... ****nnnnn T_T.

ah well... i'm gonna have a tournament sometime next week... so if anyone's interested...

Top Bottom