• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Ludosity is a small team given the rights to a bunch of beloved IPs. They probably felt a lot of pressure to do things right when planning the roster, especially as they had neither the guarantee of DLC nor the guarantee of the game even being popular. I'm guessing the roster was selected to be popular with fans, to prioritize characters that are fun to play, and to make the most of the opportunity (i.e., if there is a character the developers really like or feel is important to include in the roster ((and Nick is willing to fill out all the paperwork to let them use the character)), I don't think they'd hold back as this could be their only chance to use that character, even if the character is more niche or a secondary character in their show).

I think that may be why we have characters like Nigel and Powdered Toast Man. If this may be their one chance to make a Nick game, then they want to give it their all!
Yeah, while I dont necessarily I agree with every choice on the roster. I think its important to give them the chance to show their stuff. Depending on their success here, this might be the only chance we have for a TV Network fighting game to be above the shovelware we are so used to expect. I expect them to keep this trend of mixing iconic characters with some surprises here and there to give some flavour to the whole thing. if we only have main characters, we lose a lot of possibilities.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Aight imma just say it

People asking for Hugh was funny for all of five minutes and has been nothing but annoying as hell since

And if you honestly think he has any chance at all you're kidding yourself
I unironcially would like Hugh, but even then one must admit he is really low priority.

Assuming a sequel arrives and Jimmy is on the roster, he would not even be the first choice in my eyes.

-Cindy is clearly the second most prominent character in the show next to Jimbo himself, and would be easier to have a moveset for her than Hugh due to her martial arts and athletic background. Assuming she doesn't overlap with Helga too much.

-Carl is as memeable as Hugh so it's not like Hugh's the only one. Plus he also has an easier moveset to figure out in my opinion, his Burping Superpowers from the N-Men for example(plus in League of Super Villains Carl accidentally mixed up his powers with Libby's invisibility, so if you want to do a composite character moveset for Carl it would be actually possible.

-Ultra Lord as a Rival of Sorts towards Powdered Toast Man. Beign a Super Hero parody the moveset writes itself.

But adding any non-Jimmy JN character for me is off (not counting Sheen due to his spin-off) it would be like a Cartoon Network Platform Fighter adding Rolf over any of the Eds, he is memeable sure, and he is the most popular non-Ed character of that show, but putting him over any of the Eds? No way.

EDIT: Double Post, please merge.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
I was just replying to the other poster, is all.

Anyway, I'm just saying that the lack of open-mindedness regarding character possibilities is starting to drive people crazy.
Oh, totally. I really don't want this to become Smash Speculation 2: Electric Boogaloo. Stuff like this is part of the reason I fell out of it back in like February or something.

Hammer B

Smash Journeyman
I didn't care Hugh's inclusion at all, but after all the nonsensical hate, I suddenly want him to be in the game so I can use him to kick his haters' main's asses

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Ludosity is a small team given the rights to a bunch of beloved IPs. They probably felt a lot of pressure to do things right when planning the roster, especially as they had neither the guarantee of DLC nor the guarantee of the game even being popular. I'm guessing the roster was selected to be popular with fans, to prioritize characters that are fun to play, and to make the most of the opportunity (i.e., if there is a character the developers really like or feel is important to include in the roster ((and Nick is willing to fill out all the paperwork to let them use the character)), I don't think they'd hold back as this could be their only chance to use that character, even if the character is more niche or a secondary character in their show).

I think that may be why we have characters like Nigel and Powdered Toast Man. If this may be their one chance to make a Nick game, then they want to give it their all!
Honestly I'm just happy that the characters like Nigel and Powdered Toast Man are being received with a lot more love than I remember the likes of Piranha Plant receiving in Smash.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly I'm just happy that the characters like Nigel and Powdered Toast Man are being received with a lot more love than I remember the likes of Piranha Plant receiving in Smash.
Even Plant got fans springing up upon release. It's not really comparable though, seeing as the former are secondary characters.

Now if an anchovy got in, it'd be a different story.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I really don't get the complaints about "joke characters" in a game where everyone is a joke character.

I remember someone on Reddit getting pissy at people suggesting characters from comedies, and it's like, Nick is really not known for it's action cartoons. Even the more action packed shows like Invader ZIM, Danny Phantom and Teenage Robot were very comedy focused. Up until they made that TMNT reboot, the only solid action show on Nick was Avatar. What kind of "serious" character suggestions are you expecting here?

While there are a lot of characters I'd take over Hugh, I think this is one of those games where no suggestion is truly too outlandish. This is a game with Powdered Toast Man in it's debut trailer. All bets are pretty much off.
I never in my life thought I'd be seriously no joke arguing in favor of Daggett goddamn Beaver in a legitimate fighting video game on a message board, but I am and it has a real chance of happening.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Isn't tomorrow Labor Day? I'm not sure if that covers Twitter duties.
Tomorrow is labor day at USA and Canada (maybe others countries too) but not in Sweden. I could affect the twitter since GameMill is USA, but Ludosity isn't so maybe not. But if we don't I'm sure we'll get something on Tuesday.

amageish

Smash Master
Isn't tomorrow Labor Day? I'm not sure if that covers Twitter duties.
I assume the posts are automated - or at least capable of being automated.

If they do posts Monday/Wednesday/Friday + they post the movesets alongside the newly-revealed fighters whenever they're revealed, then they should be able to cover the whole cast by the launch, I think...

Honestly, I think them being in the game reveal helped them out significantly. If one of the remaining characters is an out-there choice like them, then I think we'll see a lot more controversy and backlash. Putting their oddest foot forward was a good plan, right Nigel?

Er. That... is a very odd way of putting your foot forward. Good work!

SonicMario

Smash Master
I think there is a huge difference between Plant in Ultimate compared to Nigel and Toast Man in this game. For one, Plant came at a time where people were still reeling from being duped by the Grinch leak and the painful deconfirmations from wither the spirits and/or the Assist segment (Particularly in the case of Shadow and Isaac which both had periods of time where fans believed they were inevitable). And the Plant was basically given what was Mewtwo's distinction in Smash 4 of being the first bonus DLC fighter of the game. Not to mention it being a Mario character that got in before the much more acceptable Toad or more popular Waliuigi.

Where as with Nick All-Stars, it's a brand new game that's showing promise from the dev team's dedication. And this is from the very start so there was no prior expectation to who could be in the roster. And for fans of Wild Thornberries even if Nigel isn't the main character, he's certainly one the most memorable things from it. And Toast Man is in particular a deep cut, but it sort of gives Nick All-Stars it's own Captain Falcon. (Though I imagine if Fairly Oddparents wasn't apparently difficult to use in recent games. The Crimson Chin might of been that instead)

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
I assume the posts are automated - or at least capable of being automated.

If they do posts Monday/Wednesday/Friday + they post the movesets alongside the newly-revealed fighters whenever they're revealed, then they should be able to cover the whole cast by the launch, I think...
Let's see, if we assume that newly revealed fighters from here on out will get their movesets revealed relatively soon after said reveal (if not the same day), then not counting SpongeBob and Patrick, there's 14 revealed characters that don't have moveset charts, so under that model, they would fall just short of revealing every moveset before the game releases, because Day 14 would fall on the 6th of October.

And that's just with the assumption that the currently un-revealed fighters actually would get their movesets revealed alongside them.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I really don't get the complaints about "joke characters" in a game where everyone is a joke character.

I remember someone on Reddit getting pissy at people suggesting characters from comedies, and it's like, Nick is really not known for it's action cartoons. Even the more action packed shows like Invader ZIM, Danny Phantom and Teenage Robot were very comedy focused. Up until they made that TMNT reboot, the only solid action show on Nick was Avatar. What kind of "serious" character suggestions are you expecting here?

While there are a lot of characters I'd take over Hugh, I think this is one of those games where no suggestion is truly too outlandish. This is a game with Powdered Toast Man in it's debut trailer. All bets are pretty much off.
I never in my life thought I'd be seriously no joke arguing in favor of Daggett goddamn Beaver in a legitimate fighting video game on a message board, but I am and it has a real chance of happening.
Technically, they fit more as fighting clowns than pure joke characters, otherwise the game wouldn't be too fun.

EUH8cCiXkAMzLvj.png

That being said, if nearly everyone is a joke, that would mean 80s Shredder wouldn't be a joke anymore if he got in, yes?

Let's see, if we assume that newly revealed fighters from here on out will get their movesets revealed relatively soon after said reveal (if not the same day), then not counting SpongeBob and Patrick, there's 14 revealed characters that don't have moveset charts, so under that model, they would fall just short of revealing every moveset before the game releases, because Day 14 would fall on the 6th of October.

And that's just with the assumption that the currently un-revealed fighters actually would get their movesets revealed alongside them.
Not to mention whether or not said movesets drop around the time of new character reveals.

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord

NASB fans when Cartoony Toony the early 90's animation phenomenon gets over Pseudo Anime Action Hero from the cult classic show of the mid 2000's.

It's just fun to have fighting game that doesn't rely on cool edgy character. We have so many anime fighters or realistic fighters like Blazblue, Killer Instinct, Mortal Kombat, Guilty Gear, and so on. To have a fighting game where everyone has this overly comedic tone is such a breath of fresh air. and seeing how Clay Fighter is dead i think this is our best shot so far.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master

Shucks, yes... Remind me to stop trying to do math; I accidentally counted every week as having 3 reveals when last week only had two. Uh. Maybe they can drop Powdered Toast Man with Ren and Stimpy as a bonus? 😅

Technically, they fit more as fighting clowns than pure joke characters, otherwise the game wouldn't be too fun.

That being said, if nearly everyone is a joke, that would mean 80s Shredder wouldn't be a joke anymore if he got in, yes?
Oh no... Nobody tell Ed that it is all joke characters...

/s, but I do like that episode.

Obviously TMNT and Avatar will have the most, uh, not-silly movesets, but I imagine we'll be seeing some memes squeezed into those too anyway. Please place your bets on who gets to throw a cabbage.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
NSAB fans when Cartoony Toony the early 90's animation phenomenon gets over Pseudo Anime Action Hero from the cult classic show of the mid 2000's.
Popular McCartoonDad vs. Serious Fightman
Obviously TMNT and Avatar will have the most, uh, not-silly movesets
Even then Michelangelo can throw pizzas, so they're not immune to joke moves.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
NSAB fans when Cartoony Toony the early 90's animation phenomenon gets over Pseudo Anime Action Hero from the cult classic show of the mid 2000's.
Popular McCartoonDad vs. Serious Fightman
Can we not do this? I know you guys meant it as a joke but the less imitated from the Smash fan wars the better. We don't need ironic terms that people can start using unironically.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Can we not do this? I know you guys meant it as a joke but the less imitated from the Smash fan wars the better. We don't need ironic terms that people can start using unironically.
Honestly, I love the term "Scrimblo Bimblo" - it sounds funny and gives a good way to refer to a type of character that it's previously been nigh imposible to quickly make reference to - "cartoon style characters", "cereal box mascots", and "mascot platformers" just don't roll off the tongue and seamlessly fit into a sentence like "Scrimblo Bimblo" and to be frank it's a term I hope the rest of the gaming community adopts outside of Smash, regardless of its malicious origins.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Agreed. It's gotten to the point where wanting literally any kind of character in any kind of style in Smash gets you **** on. It's one of the biggest reasons Smash speculation isn't fun anymore. Everyone is so intent on disparaging each other's preferred character choices and it comes off incredibly hypocritical.

Keep that crap out of NickBrawl. This has been fun for the most part, lets not accidentally ruin it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Eh, at least Smash is getting a break for the next 10 years or so (whenever the newest console after the Switch releases), that's more than enough time for things to simmer down.

I'm concerned that Nick will adopt their kart racer model in terms of releases and have a sequel to NASB in 2023. :pcfire:

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Eh, at least Smash is getting a break for the next 10 years or so
Even as someone who thinks people aren't considering how long the next Smash will be when they say "there's always next game!", I believe Sakurai's statement about the next Smash being 10 years away refers to 2018. So I won't be 37 when Smash 6 comes out.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
By the way, even if this thread can remain chill, we can't police every place on the net that talks about Brawl (especially since there seems to be a strange lack of forums specifically dedicated to the game). If any arguments erupt elsewhere, it'll be out of our sphere of influence.

Even as someone who thinks people aren't considering how long the next Smash will be when they say "there's always next game!", I believe Sakurai's statement about the next Smash being 10 years away refers to 2018. So I won't be 37 when Smash 6 comes out.
It's still going to be much longer than the measly gap between 4 and Ultimate, at any rate. Besides, the fans wanted Sak to take a rest anyway, so. 😴

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I wonder if we really are getting Sandy next. Especially since we have seen so little of her in terms of moveset and even on the official site, it took a while for her to be added despite the fact she was revealed with the rest on the first trailer. I think they might skip to another franhise next for these reasons.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Besides, the fans wanted Sak to take a rest anyway, so.
According to his talks with Harada, he's not going to. "the fans" are Westerners projecting Western values onto a Japanese man anyway. And yes, I know this doesn't mean he'll immediately work on Smash 6 after CP11, but please don't treat Japan like it's just the West with funny letters.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
According to his talks with Harada, he's not going to. "the fans" are Westerners projecting Western values onto a Japanese man anyway. And yes, I know this doesn't mean he'll immediately work on Smash 6 after CP11, but please don't treat Japan like it's just the West with funny letters.
I know of that, but I got tired of trying to tell people otherwise. Watch them act surprised when he unveils a new shooty robot game, his take on an old Nintendo IP, or whichever else he might have in store. Besides, he needs some direction in his life with Iwata-san gone. :iwatadirect:

Anyway, to go back on topic, does Ludosity even have any staff that fans would immediately recognize? The new info we're getting all seems so disorganized without a casual presentation video.

I wonder if we really are getting Sandy next. Especially since we have seen so little of her in terms of moveset and even on the official site, it took a while for her to be added despite the fact she was revealed with the rest on the first trailer. I think they might skip to another franhise next for these reasons.
Since she uses kara-tay, the moveset seems self-explanatory enough that they probably don't need to prioritize showing it that much.

Last edited:
Top Bottom