• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

dlewis53

Smash Lord
If my theory is correct I believe we'll get movesets every 2 days. We'll have for tomorrow to see if that's the case, Ik a bit of a stretch ,but its a little theory i had in mind.
Problem with that is, unless they plan on continuing to show off moveset charts even after the game's release, they're not gonna be able to get all the characters' movesets shown before October 5th.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Aight imma just say it

People asking for Hugh was funny for all of five minutes and has been nothing but annoying as hell since

And if you honestly think he has any chance at all you're kidding yourself
Honestly, I think Hugh has a lot of really good potential moves and is certainly a viable contender for DLC if they're going off fan demand - he's not gonna make the roster over his son, but alongside seems feasible at least and there is the potential for a unique fighter

If you're gonna shout "joke request!"... This is a game about children's cartoons. Unless you want every discussion of the game to be an Avatar circlejerk, almost all requests are inherently joke requests.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Honestly, I think Hugh has a lot of really good potential moves and is certainly a viable contender for DLC if they're going off fan demand - he's not gonna make the roster over his son, but alongside seems feasible at least and there is the potential for a unique fighter

If you're gonna shout "joke request!"... This is a game about children's cartoons. Unless you want every discussion of the game to be an Avatar circlejerk, almost all requests are inherently joke requests.
Liking ducks and pie does not equate to moveset potential mate. If that's all he's got, then there's nothing of value there.

Honestly Jimmy and maybe Calimitous are about the only characters I'd even say have enough to build a remotely competent moveset from Jimmy Neutron.

And we already have one meme dad. Don't need two when we have the better one already.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Liking ducks and pie does not equate to moveset potential mate. If that's all he's got, then there's nothing of value there.

Honestly Jimmy and maybe Calimitous are about the only characters I'd even say have enough to build a remotely competent moveset from Jimmy Neutron.

And we already have one meme dad. Don't need two when we have the better one already.
I recommend checking out this thread, it's from very short after the game's reveal so it falls more by Smash rules/inputs, but it should show you what Hugh could do.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
With the recent reveal about air dashes being a central mechanic for this game part of me wishes there was a more coherent presentation that detailed all this stuff. It certainly would be better than a screenshot compilation of discord messages from the devs.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I recommend checking out this thread, it's from very short after the game's reveal so it falls more by Smash rules/inputs, but it should show you what Hugh could do.
So you want him to be Jimmy but worse okay

No. I'm not convinced. I'd take nothing Jimmy related before I'd take Hugh. He's funny in context of Jimmy Neutron, and sometimes as a meme, but this ****s gotten way out of hand with people begging the devs for him.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Just had this thought or thought last night so the boxart char was speculated to be live action dora (its actually april duh)
Also i watched a review for the dora movie i dont know why i hate that idiot so now some dora things i guess!
First you know dora teaches spannish makes sense in english but yeah in most other languages atleast in spannish and german its english instead!
Also the show being some sort of imagination seems dumb to me like i dislike dora but like Kids that love her and espeacialy the map and backpack would probably be sad so i dont get it!
Also aging her up makes sense i guess but i just think she looks a bit to sexy for my taste i mean its really weird seeing a char you watched as kid being so yeah i think a slightly wider shirt and slighlty longer pants wouldve gone a long way but yeah taht my 23:00 thoughts have fun!

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Also aging her up makes sense i guess but i just think she looks a bit to sexy for my taste i mean its really weird seeing a char you watched as kid being so yeah i think a slightly wider shirt and slighlty longer pants wouldve gone a long way but yeah taht my 23:00 thoughts have fun!
How is that too sexy? She just wear a regular t-shirt and short. And that's literally how cartoon Dora was dressed.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So...it's Divekick, Nickelodeon Edition?

With the recent reveal about air dashes being a central mechanic for this game part of me wishes there was a more coherent presentation that detailed all this stuff. It certainly would be better than a screenshot compilation of discord messages from the devs.
It's too bad that Ludosity doesn't have a quirky, charismatic director that can explain all this stuff while showing how it works. :sakbanjo:

Last edited:

DeviousFish

Smash Apprentice
Aight imma just say it

People asking for Hugh was funny for all of five minutes and has been nothing but annoying as hell since

I mean hugh, isn't out of the question for a dlc pick. We did get nigel thornberry for base roaster so it isn't impossible.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean hugh, isn't out of the question for a dlc pick. We did get nigel thornberry for base roaster so it isn't impossible.
I'm having a bit of déja vu here. People are getting antsy over the game supposedly not getting any DLC, even though there isn't any solid indication that the companies and devs involved would not go through with it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Wow ok so no air dodging and possibly no blocking. It seems that the game will probably be really about movement for the defensive side, so dash dancing and wavedashing being big in the meta. It'll be interesting and different to play a game focused like that.

I already mentioned my picks which are Toph, Jenny, and Garfield, but as far as predictions.. I really don't know XD.
I did really like Rocko and Angry Beavers, but were they really very popular enough to get in? In normal circumstances I'd say fairly odd parents and jimmy neutron are the shoe ins, but obviously it's more complicated.

Last edited:

DeviousFish

Smash Apprentice
Imo the only characters I'd really want is jimmy and timmy(for their movesets). Even then I'm fine with whoever we get, since smash has much more possibilities and wants; the roster I think showed so far is perfect really. So I'm fine with who ever gets in as long as long as they're fun to play.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Imo the only characters I'd really want is jimmy and timmy(for their movesets). Even then I'm fine with whoever we get, since smash has much more possibilities and wants; the roster I think showed so far is perfect really. So I'm fine with who ever gets in as long as long as they're fun to play.
Yeah, Nick has a kinda big history, but it's a pebble compared to what the game industry offers.

Hell, there's not many directions Brawl can even go once it's done mining the 80s/90s beyond focusing more on the decades after that (and Glitch Techs).

Wow ok so no air dodging and possibly no blocking. It seems that the game will probably be really about movement for the defensive side, so dash dancing and wavedashing being big in the meta. It'll be interesting and different to play a game focused like that.

I already mentioned my picks which are Toph, Jenny, and Garfield, but as far as predictions.. I really don't know XD.
I did really like Rocko and Angry Beavers, but were they really very popular enough to get in? In normal circumstances I'd say fairly odd parents and jimmy neutron are the shoe ins, but obviously it's more complicated.
I'd say it's less about popularity and more about whether the staff wants them to get in.

The Wild Thornberrys and Real Monsters haven't had game appearances in nearly two decades, yet here we are.

Last edited:

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Hugh Neutron really is become the Waluigi of this game, the only thing is, unlike Waluigi people can't turn on him because this game's fandom is way less rabid and people won't start hating his fans because there is nothing to hate about the character.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Hugh Neutron really is become the Waluigi of this game, the only thing is, unlike Waluigi he can't be turned on because this game's fandom is way less rabid and people won't start hating his fans because there is nothing to hate about the character.
Hugh = Waluigi (Meme characters)
Doug = Sora (Both owned by Disney)

Am I right?

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Aight imma just say it

No offense, but I find this REALLY funny coming from someone with Waluigi in their signature. Like, actually really REALLY funny.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I’m gonna be honest and say that I legit can’t find it in me to get upset about people asking for “meme picks” for the wacky wahoo Spunchbop fighting game. The premise of a competitively viable Smash clone but with Spongebob and Nigel Thornberry in it is already pretty silly, so I don’t see the issue of people wanting other silly picks to match with that energy. Hell even the speculation of this game feels like a bizarro parody of Smash speculation. We had a ****ing fake Garfield leak and debates on if the leg girl was Dora the Explorer or April o’ Neal. I just don’t see how Hugh Neutron is any more of a goofy pick than Patrick or Powdered Toast Man, but then again two of my most wanted characters are Garfield and Kappa Mikey so maybe I’m just a fan of the weirdos.

Anyway if Hugh gets in he totally needs a Donut Boy reference somewhere in his moveset.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I’m gonna be honest and say that I legit can’t find it in me to get upset about people asking for “meme picks” for the wacky wahoo Spunchbop fighting game. The premise of a competitively viable Smash clone but with Spongebob and Nigel Thornberry in it is already pretty silly, so I don’t see the issue of people wanting other silly picks to match with that energy. Hell even the speculation of this game feels like a bizarro parody of Smash speculation. We had a ****ing fake Garfield leak and debates on if the leg girl was Dora the Explorer or April o’ Neal. I just don’t see how Hugh Neutron is any more of a goofy pick than Patrick or Powdered Toast Man, but then again two of my most wanted characters are Garfield and Kappa Mikey so maybe I’m just a fan of the weirdos.

Anyway if Hugh gets in he totally needs a Donut Boy reference somewhere in his moveset.

Let's be honest here: asking for Hugh here makes way more sense than asking for Shrek in anything Smash-related, that's for sure.

Also, it would be nice for him to use a torch, like in AAUGHH!! Wilderness!!, when he tried to scare off a bear in it.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Personally I don't hate Hugh or his fanbase, but I think the idea that he should get in before Jimmy himself is pretty silly. People compare Hugh to Waluigi, and I kind of underatand why, but the difference with Waluigi is that we already have many Mario characters in Smash. Basically Hugh situation right now is like if Waluigi was heavily requested in Melee before Peach and Bowser were confirmed.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Personally I don't hate Hugh or his fanbase, but I think the idea that he should get in before Jimmy himself is pretty silly. People compare Hugh to Waluigi, and I kind of underatand why, but the difference with Waluigi is that we already have many Mario characters in Smash. Basically Hugh situation right now is like if Waluigi was heavily requested in Melee before Peach and Bowser were confirmed.
Are Nigel, Reptar and Helga a joke to you?
(They got in over Arnold, Eliza and Tommy)

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
No offense, but I find this REALLY funny coming from someone with Waluigi in their signature. Like, actually really REALLY funny.
The difference here is that Waluigi has literally appeared in hundreds of games and thus has actual canonical moveset potential as opposed to Hugh who's best content comes from silly quotes

Shocking, I know, but I actually unironically like Waluigi, not because he's a meme pick, but as a character

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The difference here is that Waluigi has literally appeared in hundreds of games and thus has actual canonical moveset potential as opposed to Hugh who's best content comes from silly quotes

Shocking, I know, but I actually unironically like Waluigi, not because he's a meme pick, but as a character
Dude this game is literally a licensed children's cartoon game. Why are you dismissing other people's choice of children's cartoon characters as meme picks lmao.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Dude this game is literally a licensed children's cartoon game. Why are you dismissing other people's choice of children's cartoon characters as meme picks lmao.
Because people begging for Hugh is annoying. I'm over it. Every time I see a video or thread about it someone has to bring him up. The joke was never that funny in the first place.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I mean yall know that 95% of the shows that are gonna be repped here are comedies, right? And the most memorable characters from comedies are usually the ones who make people laugh the most? So I don’t really think it’s that much of a sin for people to want a character because they think they’re funny. It’s really not that deep, people just like Hugh and think he’s funny the same way people think Nigel Thornberry is funny. Idk why we’re making up toxic Hugh fans when the most people are doing are making silly jokes about a game where you can do a full circle input to pull off an insta-kill command grab as Patrick.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
View attachment 329232
well that’s a lot to take in
Cool. I wonder how this will interact with platforms. Is there a way to pass through and continue dashing downwards. Is there a way to stop the dash on a platform? I also wonder if there is going to be some notable differences between character dashes. Lots of stuff I cant wait to experiment with.

Because people begging for Hugh is annoying. I'm over it. Every time I see a video or thread about it someone has to bring him up. The joke was never that funny in the first place.
Could it be possible that there are just people that like the character sincerely and want him to make it in? Or is it an impossibility?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Always remember that being toxic is a conscious choice. There is literally no need to get annoyed over somebody wanting Hugh Neutron in the Nickelodeon game. And if you do still find yourself annoyed, it's okay to keep it to yourself.

amageish

Smash Master
Could it be possible that there are just people that like the character sincerely and want him to make it in? Or is it an impossibility?
I have no personal attachment to Hugh beyond vague memories of watching Jimmy Neutron as a child, but I don't think a meme pick like this can expand as far as it has without some people having unironic enjoyment of the character, even if that enjoyment is as simple as finding a comedy character funny.

That said, I think Nick All-Star Brawl speculation will also probably be more biased by the circles you run in then even Smash speculation is. Nicktoons is a very specific category of media and the types of Nicktoons you have been exposed to will really very based on age and country, in addition to the types of online fandom you participate in. Like, I'll be honest: I watched The Wild Thornberrys as a child, but had 0 clue that Nigel was a meme until he was randomly in the starting roster, so the idea of him being an alternate face of the franchise is pretty foreign to me...

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I think this is a case where you really just need to stop being a hardass. We're talking about a game where Nigel Thornberry can beat the **** out of the Avatar while CatDog and Powdered Toast Man square off in the corner. Lighten up a little and let people want their funny cartoon dad.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Are Nigel, Reptar and Helga a joke to you?
(They got in over Arnold, Eliza and Tommy)
Nigel got in because he was always the most popular character (and it's not like Eliza have that much more moveset potential than Nigel), Helga probably got in because Arnold is a pacifist and Reptar got in before the baby because having baby fight would be weird.

Having Hugh before Jimmy would be a huge misopportunity, not only because there's no reason to skip Jimmy like Arnold and the Rugrats, but because Jimmy have huge moveset potential with his gadget that Hugh don't have.

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
Nigel got in because he was always the most popular character (and it's not like Eliza have that much more moveset potential than Nigel), Helga probably got in because Arnold is a pacifist and Reptar got in before the baby because having baby fight would be weird.

Having Hugh before Jimmy would be a huge misopportunity, not only because there's no reason to skip Jimmy like Arnold and the Rugrats, but because Jimmy have huge moveset potential with his gadget that Hugh don't have.
It's also because Reptar and Helga are just as prominent as Tommy and Arnold. Sometimes the former two outshine the latter two.

Hugh never outshined Jimmy.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Not to mention that we still don't know if the leads of any series have truly been skipped until the question of DLC is answered.

Besides, we also don't know how much influence the fanbase can have on this game's roster after launch, if any. For all we know the staff will continue to do what they want, if they can persuade Nick.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Ludosity is a small team given the rights to a bunch of beloved IPs. They probably felt a lot of pressure to do things right when planning the roster, especially as they had neither the guarantee of DLC nor the guarantee of the game even being popular. I'm guessing the roster was selected to be popular with fans, to prioritize characters that are fun to play, and to make the most of the opportunity (i.e., if there is a character the developers really like or feel is important to include in the roster ((and Nick is willing to fill out all the paperwork to let them use the character)), I don't think they'd hold back as this could be their only chance to use that character, even if the character is more niche or a secondary character in their show).

I think that may be why we have characters like Nigel and Powdered Toast Man. If this may be their one chance to make a Nick game, then they want to give it their all!

Top Bottom