• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character to be Shown Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
Everything about today was amazing! And I don't mean to take away from our rad new characters but, has anyone else noticed this yet?

Smashboards is not letting me upload pictures but -

The Fourth picture on CF's page

If I'm not mistaken, THAT'S AN ARWING!
At first I thought this was the Pilotwings stage, and it still might be. But the only other options are that:
1. There's an Arwing cameo on Pilotwings
2. This is a new Star Fox Stage
3. Sakurai's hinting at Falco or another SF character (besides Wolf), since we know Fox's FS is Landmaster.
Was thinking the exact same thing. I'm hyped.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Jesus, I went back to bed for five hours after watching the trailer. I woke up and now everyone is pissed!

A. Be nice to Sal Ramano. We already knew the leak wasn't bulletproof, because the leaker failed to mention Rosalina. He still has a lot of creditability. Things can always change as the game develops. This just reaffirms there may be additional characters outside the leak.

B. Lucina seems to be a Marth clone. She has all identical attacks, but with her own page on the site (unlike say Male/Female Wii Fit Trainer, Male/Female Villager or Male/Female Robin), this leads us to think she isn't merely an alt costume.

C. Sakurai had the same conclusion most of us did. Robin is such a better, more diverse Fire Emblem, rep than Chrom. Sword + Magic Books = AWESOMESAUCE

D. Four Fire Emblem reps?! That **** don't fly with me proper unless we get at least one more for Metroid and one more for Donkey Kong. All's fair. Ridley + Dixie/K. Rool, come on Saky, make it happen!

That's my two cents.

Last edited:

supersaiyanmikito

Smash Cadet
If this was the case they would share a space on the website, and Sakurai would have clarified it on Miiverse. They are separate characters. End of story. No discussion. No debate.
Here is the thing though, Sakurai appears to actually be IGNORING anything related to Lucina. Why ignore the issue and keep your mouth shut about a clone unless she is something entirely new they don't want to talk about yet.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Jesus, I went back to bed for five hours after watching the trailer. I woke up and now everyone is pissed!

A. Be nice to Sal Ramano. We already knew the leak wasn't bulletproof, because the leaker failed to mention Rosalina. He still has a lot of creditability. Things can always change as the game develops. This just reaffirms there may be additional characters outside the leak.

B. Lucina seems to be a Marth clone. She has all identical attacks, but with her own page on the site, this leads us to think she isn't merely an alt costume.

C. Sakurai had the same conclusion most of us did. Robin is such a better, more diverseFire Emblem, rep than Chrom. Sword + Magic Books = AWESOMESAUCE

D. Four Fire Emblem reps?! That **** don't fly with me proper unless we get at least one more for Metroid and one more for Donkey Kong. All's fair. Ridley + Dixie/K. Rool, come on Saky, make it happen!

That's my two cents.
Compare the number of Metroid games with Fire Emblem, you do know that Nintendo isn't only pleasing you Americans! this update was made for Japan! they've gut their tactical Mage Bishounen swordsman and their Waifus!, in fact the japanese had to stomach in the reveal of Little Mac to them he meant nothing, some them didn't even know him! Balance is the word, we have internet these days search for it!

Edit: And BTW Fire Emblem fans had to put up with cutting of Roy, Sakurai definitely wanted to make it up for us....and he did with RECOGNITION!

Last edited:

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
again in tekken they never said "oh by the way Panda is a kuma alt" they would simply put them on the site and have them as a playable character. I truly believe Lucina is an alt for Marth. This is the best way to include certain characters without having to give them their own slot. Characters who are pretty much exactly the same and are not Luigi-fied would receive this treatment.

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
Here is the thing though, Sakurai appears to actually be IGNORING anything related to Lucina. Why ignore the issue and keep your mouth shut about a clone unless she is something entirely new they don't want to talk about yet.
If they didn't want to talk about it yet, they wouldn't have shown her.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I don't really understand this debate, what does it matter if she kept the differnet voice, apperance, etc and shared the slot with Marth as an alt and having her own slot? I don't really understand the different other then people not wanting to see her on the roster. It's not like it drastically changes the time they spend on the character in any way.

Last edited:

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
Why keep his mouth shut about a clone? Maybe because it would disappoint people?

Stalking Fury

Smash Apprentice
again in tekken they never said "oh by the way Panda is a kuma alt" they would simply put them on the site and have them as a playable character. I truly believe Lucina is an alt for Marth. This is the best way to include certain characters without having to give them their own slot. Characters who are pretty much exactly the same and are not Luigi-fied would receive this treatment.
This isn't Tekken though...

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
I don't really understand this debate, what does it matter if she kept the differnet voice, apperance, etc and shared the slot with Marth as an alt and having her own slot? I don't really understand the different other then people not wanting to see her on the roster. It's not like it drastically changes the time they spend on the character in any way.
Sharing slot = absolutely no difference.

Different slots = gameplay differences, such as speed, power, lag, etc.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Eh, the only one of the 11 who ever mattered was Wii Fit Trainer.

Guy probably found out about WFT through E3 2013 somehow and tried to turn that into an entire leak.
Except that Sakurai's comment on the "Pokémon from X and Y" backed up literally 100% of what Sal's leaker stated, saying initially they just wrote that down and went from there. It's exactly as Sakurai said where they were at the start 2 years ago. That wasn't a coincidence.
Your leak is dead. You trying to defend it soldifies that.
It's using information from 2 years ago that was almost 100% definitely right then.

It's a surprise it's that wrong, but I'm not shocked something was off.

Things change with time. If we found out the 2005 Brawl roster in 2007 we would have "new Fire Emblem character" instead of Ike, and Roy and Mewtwo on the roster but no Sonic.

Also, this is the same guy who 100% accurately leaked the Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom roster before anyone else, lmao.

His source may be covering their butt (because their information at least with Chrom is outdated), but Sal certainly isn't. Sal's just telling the truth. Inaccuracies from sources happen when you do leaks.

When people heard the name "Roy" for Melee's roster before Roy was officially confirmed, some leakers thought it was "Roy Koopa".

Regardless, Sal always presented it as if "I don't know if it's real, but it adds up" just like he has done with other leaks in the past. We should be thankful for his presentation of what he knew, and respectful for him as he was to us in return.

Also, Shulk and Chorus Men aren't dead because of this either, lol, especially with the Rhythm Heaven enemies in Smash Run.

===

I remember back in the pre-Brawl days some lady literally leaked the entire playable character roster to us 100% correct, but because she got some stage and assist trophy data flat wrong (she thought Rosalina was an Assist Trophy character when it was Gardevoir as a Pokéball Pokémon) people barked at her to the point where some people were threatening to commit physical harm to her to insane extremes.

Y'all who are being straight up jerks to Sal better be thankful I'm not a mod, because if I was, y'all be perma-banned and IP blocked in the drop of a hat.

ZombieVito

Smash Journeyman
I expect nothing less that 6 Pokemon reps now. There is no way FE doubles it's reps and Pokemon gets reduced.

StrangeTamer

Smash Cadet
Everyone's fighting about Lucina and I'm just here wondering why Mr. Game & Watch never got updated on the website.

Stalking Fury

Smash Apprentice
I remember back in the pre-Brawl days some lady literally leaked the entire playable character roster to us 100% correct, but because she got some stage and assist trophy data flat wrong (she thought Rosalina was an Assist Trophy character when it was Gardevoir as a Pokéball Pokémon) people barked at her to the point where some people were threatening to commit physical harm to her to insane extremes.

Y'all who are being straight up jerks to Sal better be thankful I'm not a mod, because if I was, y'all be perma-banned and IP blocked in the drop of a hat.
Are you talking about queensaki, who had the game before anyone else in Japan?

spader13

Smash Journeyman
It's not just a "box." She gets her own page on the website. The news ticker calls her a "new character." Furthermore, Nintendo issued a correction to IGN that Chrom was not his own character but did not do the same for Lucina.

The burden of proof is one those who say she's just an "alt", considering no smash game has ever had an alternate costume treated this way.

As for her moves, people have observed that she's faster and her aerials appear less laggy. We don't see her in action much in the trailer, so it's hard to observe the differences much. But some appear to be there.
I think Lucina will ultimately end up getting her own slot, but the IGN interview is definitely not valid proof. Chrom is not playable at all; he's a final Smash. Lucina is clearly playable, so they're in very different situations.

Jiggy37

Smash Apprentice
I'm overjoyed with Robin instead of Chrom. :D :D :D As many others have said, sword + magic is so much better than sword. This is also why I really didn't want to wake up to Shulk.

As for Lucina, who IS a sword user... You know what, I'm happy with her too. She's a clone to some degree or other, so it's not like creating her took up the same resources as a brand new sword fighter would have. Besides, I'm almost universally better with clones than originals: Falco over Fox, Dr. Mario over Mario, Toon Link over Link, etc. And unlike Fox, Mario, and Link, I'm already decent with Marth, so the possibility of a similar but better character is completely welcome to me.

Last edited:

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
It seems as though Lucina's attacks don't have the white tip. The entirety of her sword is white, not just the tip. You can see this on her up+B and her upAir. I'm screen capturing now, but it seems like that's one of the differences already.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Compare the number of Metroid games with Fire Emblem, you do know that Nintendo isn't only pleasing you Americans!
Okay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_Emblem_series
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metroid_series

Fire Emblem: 11 +2 remakes and a satellite view game no one played

Metroid: 10 + Zero Mission, which is technically a remake of the original Metroid

And Donkey Kong has more games than either of them.

I fail to see what the huge difference in total number of games that makes FE deserving of twice the reps as Metroid / DK.

Last edited:

JCAndre

Smash Apprentice
This is also a much newer and cleaner build then the one at E3...
Why is it hard to accept that Lucina would be a clone? Especially when we already have a clone in Toon Link. Especially when there are already cloned final smashes (Link/Toon Link, Zelda/Sheik). If Lucina was an alt for M
Okay.

Metroid: 10 + Zero Mission, which is technically a remake of the original Metroid

I fail to see what the huge difference in total number of games that makes FE deserving of twice the reps as Metroid.
I think the bigger point to raise is that in Metroid games there really is only Samus for the majority of all the games, completely isolated while she explores different planets. Fire Emblem on the other hand is full of different and unique characters.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Except that Sakurai's comment on the "Pokémon from X and Y" backed up literally 100% of what Sal's leaker stated, saying initially they just wrote that down and went from there. It's exactly as Sakurai said where they were at the start 2 years ago. That wasn't a coincidence.

It's using information from 2 years ago that was almost 100% definitely right then.

It's a surprise it's that wrong, but I'm not shocked something was off.

Things change with time. If we found out the 2005 Brawl roster in 2007 we would have "new Fire Emblem character" instead of Ike, and Roy and Mewtwo on the roster but no Sonic.

Also, this is the same guy who 100% accurately leaked the Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom roster before anyone else, lmao.

His source may be covering their butt (because their information at least with Chrom is outdated), but Sal certainly isn't. Sal's just telling the truth. Inaccuracies from sources happen when you do leaks.

When people heard the name "Roy" for Melee's roster before Roy was officially confirmed, some leakers thought it was "Roy Koopa".

Regardless, Sal always presented it as if "I don't know if it's real, but it adds up" just like he has done with other leaks in the past. We should be thankful for his presentation of what he knew, and respectful for him as he was to us in return.

Also, Shulk and Chorus Men aren't dead because of this either, lol, especially with the Rhythm Heaven enemies in Smash Run.

===

All of this. The fact that people are starting to treat Sal like an attention ***** where there's been zero evidence that he's nothing less than a stand up guy with ample amounts of journalistic integrity to boot over the years is downright despicable. His leaker got some info wrong but that doesn't mean either are frauds or deserve to be mocked and terrorized. His leaker's info was incomplete and faulty to a degree and that's all that stands. If evidence arises that the leaker was just stringing people along than so be it but, for the time being, he made a simple human error and situation should be judged accordingly. In short, the Gematsu leak wasn't 100% accurate and didn't reveal everything there was to reveal.

Arthreeteseven

Smash Ace
Okay.

I fail to see what the huge difference in total number of games that makes FE deserving of twice the reps as Metroid / DK.
I don't think character selection is about games so much as it is about the quality of the characters themselves. I completely agree that there should be more Donkey Kong and Metroid characters, but not because they have more games, but because they have dynamic characters. K. Rool, Ridley, etc. seem like good choices because they are good characters not because they appear in a lot of games, in my opinion at least.

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
This isn't Tekken though...
but the people behind it are helping out. So them implementing something like an alt slot would not be foreign and honestly would make sense she impersonated Marth and it just makes sense. Also didn't he say we would be getting A (as in one) new character on Monday. I feel like Robin is that ONE New character. Cptn Falcon is not new and Robin is a brand new fighter with own moveset and whatnot. Lucina is new in terms of never appearing but they have to market her as a newcomer on their site only because they aren't going to create a brand new tab saying Vets, Newcomers, and Alts

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Okay.

I think this only further proves that Ridley is playable and both K. Rool and Dixie Kong are HIGHLY likely. Although keep in mind that Lucina is a clone.

As for Metroid, there's really not many valid characters from the series who could be made playable. Metroid isn't a character-based franchise. Samus and Ridley are the only major recurring elements. DK has far more games as a whole and is one of Nintendo's most popular and best selling franchises, so yeah, if FE can get four reps, DK can very easily do the same and there's literally no reason at this point for us not to get both K. Rool and Dixie Kong.

but the people behind it are helping out. So them implementing something like an alt slot would not be foreign and honestly would make sense she impersonated Marth and it just makes sense. Also didn't he say we would be getting A (as in one) new character on Monday. I feel like Robin is that ONE New character. Cptn Falcon is not new and Robin is a brand new fighter with own moveset and whatnot. Lucina is new in terms of never appearing but they have to market her as a newcomer on their site only because they aren't going to create a brand new tab saying Vets, Newcomers, and Alts
I agree on Robin being the ONE new rep, but I do think Lucina is an actual separate character. They may be using a new "clone" system to add more characters, but to suggest that she's just an alt is kinda dumb. Sorry, I do think she's a clone, although clearly the trailer was Robin's and Lucina and Captain Falcon were merely leading into Robin's reveal.

Last edited:

supersaiyanmikito

Smash Cadet
Why is it hard to accept that Lucina would be a clone? Especially when we already have a clone in Toon Link. Especially when there are already cloned final smashes (Link/Toon Link, Zelda/Sheik). If Lucina was an alt for M
Because she is the worst and laziest clone to date.
"Lets make another Marth but slightly faster!"
"Great idea, and lets make her a new character and give her a dedicated space on the select so the roster looks bigger then it actually is!"
"She even wears the same clothes so we don't have to put in any work at all!"

Last edited:

Arthreeteseven

Smash Ace
Assuming Lucina is a clone, I hope this means we get one or two more. Since clones appear to be easy to implement I would love to see some hidden unlockable characters like Peppy(fox), Roy(marth), Bowser Jr.(bowser), Pichu(pikachu), etc.

It would be fun to see this characters added without them needing a bunch of fanfare and hype in advance, since they are just modified clones.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
"Great idea, and lets make her a new character and give her a dedicated space on the select so the roster looks bigger then it actually is!"
You realize the first two points applied to most melee clones right? You're also jumping to a conclusion that the only difference is her speed.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
There are so many things they could do by having clone characters share slots. Protoman alt for Megaman. Dark Pit for Pit. They could bring back Pichu and Dr Mario if they wanted.
This is what I've been saying. Some characters have great potential for alternate costumes, like Little Mac and his Pink Hoodie, but not all characters do. MegaMan could get a ProtoMan skin, Sonic could get a Shadow skin, Pac-Man could get a Ms. Pac-Man skin. It's like playing a new character, but really it's just a skin. Aside from them having an entirely new moveset, it's the best of both worlds. Fans get a different character to play as and non-fans don't have to gripe about slots being taken.

Dr. Mario is also an option, as well as Daisy or Mr. L.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Well good to know that Sakurai flipped the table, the unblievers got their surprise, I bet now Shulk will be in the next direct, I'm pretty sure he was planned for today, there's a possibility Sakurai fooled his co-workers and the word of mouth spread like wildfire in the work place, and OFC Namco employees have friends in Monolith soft and they spread the word to them and they were hyped so they retweeted the stream, and finally in the end Sakurai set up the video himself and put the Fire Emblem one instead of Shulks!

About Chrom:

His model is to detailed to not playable, but according to IGN he's not playable, there 2 possibilities of why the leaker was wrong:

1. Chrom was planned but than was scrapped in favour of Lucina!, because they can't squeeze Lucina if Chrom was in
  2. The leaker saw the 3D Model designers work on Chrom's model and saw how detailed it's, and than he concluded he is playable.
In the end the unused model became the Final Smash for Robin, Chrom is model is in-fact as good as any playable character model, I think DLC will make Chrom Playable though!

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Would you guys mind if Newcomers shared reveal trailers or should Newcomers have reveal trailers all to themselves (excluding other newcomers)?

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
I know you're being facetious, but she doesn't wear the same clothes. Seriously, just look at them.

Further, since when is "I don't like it" reason enough to adamantly deny its existence?

Sonic could get a Shadow skin
Shadow is an assist trophy.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Well just because we may not entirely like it doesn't mean the reality couldn't be that either. Honestly, clones do not bother me all that much for me to get that upset over the very few we've had so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom