• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character to be Shown Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

farvin111

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai himself said he would never make alternate skins an entirely different character from the original. Lucina is NOT female Marth. Lucina is not even Marth. She's her own character, and to believe otherwise is completely wrong.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Sakurai himself said he would never make alternate skins an entirely different character from the original. Lucina is NOT female Marth. Lucina is not even Marth. She's her own character, and to believe otherwise is completely wrong.
He also said that clones were not coming back. Also, he's Sakurai. Everything he says is a lie or half-truth.

Last edited:

supersaiyanmikito

Smash Cadet
Seriously think about it people, if this is just a new alternate skin mechanic, there are so many new characters that can be added without much effort. We could get a freaking Protoman skin for Megaman.

Also, using custom moves is a TERRIBLE excuse for her being different or did you forget those are banned online?

Kumatora

Smash Cadet
Maybe... Just mabye... we don't have enough info to really tell what Lucina's fate is? Perhaps we should call a truce and just wait to see? heck, Sakurai might even touch up on it in the coming days. I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of Robin, Lucina, and the Miis in the near future.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/13/wii-u-and-3ds-smash-bros-will-not-have-cross-platform-play-wil/

he has started before that doing something like making lucina an alt costume was not part fo the game
Uhh, that's not what that article says:

"He wouldn't elaborate on exactly what those customizations are, saying only that they won't be costumes"

So you can't customize a character's appearance, but that doesn't mean there aren't alternate costumes in the game.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
USmash, Bair, and Fair are all hugely different. UpB also has a vacuum effect.
Oh, we're talking effects? Visually Y. Link and Link are the same.
Again I ask, who's to say Lucina won't have some unique moves? Hell even different effects like Y. Link.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Uhh, that's not what that article says:

"He wouldn't elaborate on exactly what those customizations are, saying only that they won't be costumes"

So you can't customize a character's appearance, but that doesn't mean there aren't alternate costumes in the game.
Different costumes, he said, would take away from what makes each character unique

part of the interview and i would say completely changing who a character is would take away from that

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Oh, we're talking effects? Visually Y. Link and Link are the same.
Again I ask, who's to say Lucina won't have some unique moves? Hell even different effects like Y. Link.
The hitboxes are also totally different on those moves. Link USmash hits 3 times. YLink USmash only hits once. His Fair and Bairs are single hit moves too.

Different costumes, he said, would take away from what makes each character unique

part of the interview and i would say completely changing who a character is would take away from that
If he said that, he clearly changed his mind, because over the last week we've seen a ton of alt costumes.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
All of those characters had different movesets, and we're not the people updating that website, we don't know what criteria they use to determine who gets a box and who doesn't.
Honestly, you think what you want.

JCAndre

Smash Apprentice
Why is this even a debate? Lucina is her own character. There is nothing ambiguous about this.

farvin111

Smash Journeyman
The hitboxes are also totally different on those moves. Link USmash hits 3 times. YLink USmash only hits once. His Fair and Bairs are single hit moves too.

If he said that, he clearly changed his mind, because over the last week we've seen a ton of alt costumes.
Aesthetic changes. They shouldn't change anything.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Honestly, you think what you want.
Yes, I have no doubt that she'll be confirmed to be an alt in a few days. It shocks me that we're even having this discussion here, where everyone should be familiar with Marth and Roy's movesets and realize that everything we've seen is 100% Marth.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Seriously think about it people, if this is just a new alternate skin mechanic, there are so many new characters that can be added without much effort. We could get a freaking Protoman skin for Megaman.

Also, using custom moves is a TERRIBLE excuse for her being different or did you forget those are banned online?
If they don't have OOT/Melee or Skyward Sword incarnation skins for Link and Zelda, I might just facepalm. Same goes for Ganondorf, even though he's generally been the same incarnation overall.

I do wonder...assuming Lucina is an alt: Will she be the only one, or will there be other alts in her situation with their own page on the site?

Last edited:

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper

little mac in a hoodie=/= a completely different character as an alt skin. the might as well make all the start fox characters one character at that point

supersaiyanmikito

Smash Cadet
Lucina doesn't need to be just a skin, that is never what I was implying. This whole time I've been saying an "alternate character" for Marth. She can be her own character, have her own voice clips and even announcer voice clips but seeing as she is a clone of Marth, she could share his space on the select screen and you toggle to her. I mentioned that one Naruto game earlier with the character that was an alt. The game itself treats the character "completely separate" from the original but since he is a perfect clone gameplay wise, he shares his select space with his "original" and you toggle to him by using that character's space.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207

No, I said vi- you know what, I'm dropping this.

There's a huge difference with the costumes. Hoodie Mac is fine, because it's still just Mac. Murica Mario is still Mario. He Fit is still a Wii Fit Trainer. Female Villager is still a Villager.

Lucina is not Marth.

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
It seems that people are STILL confused with Lucina.
Lucina is a seperate entity from Marth. Why would she be a alt. if she is a different person?
Before you bring up WFT, Villager and Robin, they are all avatars, and all mean the same entity respectively. I believe this is the reason why Lucina is separate.

Also, I've seen the first few pages when the trailer hit, it's kind of sad to see people rejoicing over the leak being killed instead of focusing on the announcements.
That being said, I am so stoked for Robin! I was a long time supporter but then started to lose hope on him. I'm so happy he is here! Lucina isn't a bad choice either for a clone! I'm guessing she is a last-minute add since I doubt Sakurai would add a clone in the first stages of development.

TiaSilvia

Smash Apprentice
For me, just the fact that Lucina square at the website is small and not large like all other newcomers, she is a alternate costume. She has her spot because she is a "special case" of alternate costumes. Robin and Wii Fit Trainer alternate costumes are still the same character, but Lucina and Marth are not. I like how Sakurai always make a way to put some fan favorite characters in the game without occupying to many slots(PKM Trainer, Zero Suit Samus, Sheik).

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
It seems that people are STILL confused with Lucina.
Lucina is a seperate entity from Marth. Why would she be a alt. if she is a different person?
Because that way they can add a popular character to the game without having to come up with a different moveset from Marth, as they are virtually identical even in Fire Emblem.

jwj442

Smash Journeyman
First of all, we have very little footage of Lucina right now. We've seen less than half her moves, and only split-second shots of some of them. So even if the animations are the same, you shouldn't make such confident assertions that they're all exactly the same in knockback, delay, trajectory, etc. But even with the small handful of footage we have right now, though, she appears to be faster and less laggy (which you dismiss with "probably auto-cancelled").

So what about the external evidence outside of the gameplay footage? A mountain of it points to her being a new (clone) character. The website counts for a lot - if it were just her box on the main page, maybe it could be an anomaly, but she has her own character page and is listed as a new character in the news ticker!

Last edited:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Well, since I've arrived a bit late, I feel as if I should get my hype out.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

LUCINA AND ROBIN CONFIRMED TWO FIRE EMBLEM CHARACTERS I ACTUALLY SUPPORTED WEEEEE

AND THAT BATTLE WITH FALCON WAS GOOSEBUMPS-INDUCING

CHROM DISCONFIRMED SUCK IT YOU GEMATSU BOSH'TETS(jk guise you were only a little bit annoying)

RIP IN RIP IN PEACE GEMATSU

*deep breath*

Anyway, this was pretty exciting for me. The whole setup of the trailer, Lucina and Robin being two characters I like, Captain Falcon being Captain Falcon, the music, Chrom getting rekt, and the Gematsu Leak getting ded.

PRAISE SAKURAI, DESTROYER OF LEAKS

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Captain Falcon and Blood Falcon aren't the same person, it didn't stop Blood Falcon from being a palette swap.
Those are colors similar to Blood. His helmet and other details don't match.

Plus, you said it yourself... Palette swap, not costume.

JCAndre

Smash Apprentice
Well, it actually is. Both the trailer and the official information on the Internet was pretty ambiguous.
It seemed pretty clear in both the trailer and on the website she is her own character. She didn't get her own long banner because she shares her artwork with Robin. If you click on her it says "Newcomer."

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Yes, I have no doubt that she'll be confirmed to be an alt in a few days. It shocks me that we're even having this discussion here, where everyone should be familiar with Marth and Roy's movesets and realize that everything we've seen is 100% Marth.
It honestly shocks me that anyone at this point thinks of her as anything but a clone.

She is Roy. She's just Lucina.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
First of all, we have very little footage of Lucina right now. We've seen less than half her moves, and only split-second shots of some of them. So even if the animations are the same, you shouldn't make such confident assertions that they're all exactly the same in knockback, delay, trajectory, etc. But even with the small handful of footage we have right now, though, she appears to be faster and less laggy (which you dismiss with "probably auto-cancelled").
The only thing we have to suggest she's less laggy in any way is landing of Nair, but it was virtually done its animation so that really doesn't prove much.

It's also clear that the knockback on Dolphin Slash is the same, and the Dancing Blade combo is the same too. You can maybe debate Nair knockback, but it clearly has the same hitboxes.

So what about the external evidence outside of the gameplay footage? A mountain of it points to her being a new (clone) character. The website counts for a lot - if it were just her box on the main page, maybe it could be an anomaly, but she has her own character page and is listed as a new character in the news ticker!
There's not a "mountain" of evidence, the only thing is the website, and as noted, she's anomalous even on the website.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
If only we could see Lucina in action more instead of the small clips, who knows, Sakurai may just be :troll: again and there is more than meets the eye regarding Lucina.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
It honestly shocks me that anyone at this point thinks of her as anything but a clone.

She is Roy. She's just Lucina.
Except, yet again, Roy's B moves work different from Marth. If she is a clone, she's the laziest clone in the history of the series, and that's saying something.

TiaSilvia

Smash Apprentice
We can wait for a explanation from Sakurai this week. The Lucina is or is not a alt will be resolved.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
We can wait for a explanation from Sakurai this week. The Lucina is or is not a alt will be resolved.
I'm really looking forward to it. Particularly if he adds "we just listed her as a newcomer on the website to keep you guessing :troll:"

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Except, yet again, Roy's B moves work different from Marth. If she is a clone, she's the laziest clone in the history of the series, and that's saying something.
You don't seem to understand that a clone is really no different to a skin in terms of how they're made.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Lucina doesn't need to be just a skin, that is never what I was implying. This whole time I've been saying an "alternate character" for Marth. She can be her own character, have her own voice clips and even announcer voice clips but seeing as she is a clone of Marth, she could share his space on the select screen and you toggle to her. I mentioned that one Naruto game earlier with the character that was an alt. The game itself treats the character "completely separate" from the original but since he is a perfect clone gameplay wise, he shares his select space with his "original" and you toggle to him by using that character's space.
but at that point why not just make it so she has her own slot.

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
Because that way they can add a popular character to the game without having to come up with a different moveset from Marth, as they are virtually identical even in Fire Emblem.
They could make her an alt costume, but it wouldn't make sense.
I think it would give much more respect to the character making her have her own slot, if she has one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom