• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Challenger for Smash Bros Wii U/3DS To Be Announced July 14th

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I hope we don't know all of what's coming. If the only newcomers remaining are all listed on that gematsu leak, I'll be very disappointed.
Yeah, same here.

I want someone unexpected. E3 reveals were kinda ok because these characters, other than expected, were very predictable ones too.
But at least Pacman carried so much hype for him that I didn't know I had until I saw the video.

Speaking of... 3 minutes of video? Dang, must be a really special or complicated character.
Maybe it ties in something else. Because no ordinary trailer is that long.

willy410

Smash Rookie
I hope we don't know all of what's coming. If the only newcomers remaining are all listed on that gematsu leak, I'll be very disappointed.
What I'm hoping is that the gematsu leak was just the characters intended to be revealed before the game's launch, so we'll still get a couple more secret new comers like wolf was. Because if they only make a reveal trailer for characters who are going to be revealed before launch, it makes sense for the leaker to have only seen the characters who had reveal trailers

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
Guess Sakurai wanted to jump the gun, or Nintendo just didn't have any new info to give in a direct.

The suspense is killing me. Who could it be?! Someone expected like Chrom? Or maybe someone more outlandish… Ridley?! HYPEHYPEHYPE

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
I'm really hoping for either for being newcomers would be great to get any of these but Chrom, Shulk, or Isaac. Hoping they will maybe show some veterans also.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Yes, I would love Bowser Jr.

I would be happy with anyone though and I think it could be anyone, so I'm not gonna try and predict anything. This will be our fourth newcomer in a row though, that's pretty crazy. I wonder if the entire roster will be revealed before release.

MM720

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM720
3DS FC
0259-0380-4806
My votes go for Layton, Shulk, Chrom or Lana (from Hyrule Warriors. Likely since Sakurai likes girls and Hyrule Warriors is a recent and very talked about)

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Please, oh please let it be Ghirahim. He's literally the only newcomer that I really, really want.
Or some vets as well, my comparison thread kind of died after Ike.

Last edited:

Escorcho

Smash Rookie
Let's be real, Captain Falcon isn't leaving any time soon. He's part of the original cast and pretty much is one of the faces of Smash Bros.. Getting rid of him, or Ness for that matter, would create a huge upset. I mean come on, him simply being nerfed in Brawl was upsetting.

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
Why do people think Chorus Boys are going to be in this game? I LOVE oddball characters like Wii Fit Trainer and Game & Watch, but honestly... that's taking things too far. (Although if it happens I'll probably end up loving them...)

This must be a big announcement... My guess is that it's a character that is WIDELY debated amongst Miiverse and Smashboards communities. (Like Ridley!)
theres a Rhythm Heaven enemy in smash run. making that series relevant into smash brothers. plus the gematsu leak has gotten every character so far besides rosalina :0

NFTsmasher

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shoob24
Let's be real, Captain Falcon isn't leaving any time soon. He's part of the original cast and pretty much is one of the faces of Smash Bros.. Getting rid of him, or Ness for that matter, would create a huge upset. I mean come on, him simply being nerfed in Brawl was upsetting.
Yeah, he even has the original Smash Bros moveset before the game was even called Super Smash Bros.

AceMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KnowledgeMan
Predictions: Chrom, Shulk, Mewtwo, Choir Men, and possibly Simon Belmont or Ryu Hayabusa.

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
theres a Rhythm Heaven enemy in smash run. making that series relevant into smash brothers. plus the gematsu leak has gotten every character so far besides rosalina :0
That's all fine and dandy, but there is an assist trophy and stage for Nintendogs, but you don't see people thinking the Golden Retriever is going to bark into battle.

RogersBase

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RogersBase
3DS FC
1848-1722-4915
I was going to post about this in another thread but I decided the news story would be where most people would see it. I did a video this morning before I left for work about the upcoming newcomer announcement on July 14th. There is no doubt in my mind that it is Shulk:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well this is how my reactions would be like. Naturally all possitives except the last one.

:bee:
Michael Jones
Captain N
Simon Belmont
Sin & Punishment character (Kachi)
P.T. Red
Takamaru
Isaac
New retro pic: Laughing Dog, Mach Rider, Balloon Fighter
New 3rd party: Ryu Hayabusa, Rayman

:dizzy:
Anything else = no hype

:grrr:
More Mario, Zelda, Pokemon (other than RED), Kirby, K.I. & F.E. Mother, Star Fox = UNhype

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
Speaking of... 3 minutes of video? Dang, must be a really special or complicated character.
Maybe it ties in something else. Because no ordinary trailer is that long.
3 minutes is a longer trailer for them. Charizard and Greninja was 2:28, and it was also a reveal for all Pokeball Pokemon.
Little Mac was 2:10, and even had his cartoony intro.
Palutena was 3:01, but that was E3 and had a lot of focus on it.
Pac-Man was 1:48, and that was an amazing trailer showing off his moves, nods at another character, and had lots of hype.
Even Mii Fighter trailer had the epic fight with Reggie and Iwata, Amiibos and all that and was less than 3 minutes.

I think we'll get an E3 equal trailer here, with a newcomer, maybe another one sneaked in. Also expecting just a quick character that has been leaked with flashy stuff for 3 minutes to keep my expectations low, but I lean more towards being super hyped.

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
Can't believe people think the Chorus Boys would be included when Karate Joe exists, who is both a more prominent Rhythm Heaven Character (in every game so far) and is an actual fighter

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Can't believe people think the Chorus Boys would be included when Karate Joe exists, who is both a more prominent Rhythm Heaven Character (in every game so far) and is an actual fighter
I'm not opposd to Karate Joe. I actually practiced Karate most of my life, and I'd actually like to see someone representin'.

But being a "fighter" never carried any weight to Sakurai. He always goes with the iconic/main characters first.

...But I'm no Rythm Heaven expert, so I would only GUESS Chorus Kids are the iconic faces there. I heard they were put in one of the boxarts, or something.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
Who I expect:
  • At least one vet
  • Shulk, Ridley, FE rep, or MegaMewtwo Y

Who I want:
  • At least 2 vets (Ness and Jiggly)
  • Aeron, Zael, Bayonetta(yeah, yeah...), or a Wonderful One ;_;

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
welp looks like its time to start speculating like crazy again....

I'll start with this one, " ya know guys if Sakurai is giving this reveal a whole live stream its got to to be a BIG announcement, like how much of a missed opportunity would this be if Sakurai didn't take advantage of this LARGE opportunity to reveal something truly MASSIVE".

I'll see myself out....
Big, large, and massive? The Monado! Shulk Confirmed.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
"Nearing the bottom of the stash"

stash

Mustache-Ridley confirmed!
With that logic..

"Nearing the bottom of the stash.."
..stash
..stache
..mustache
..bottom
..farts

..WARIO?!

(Just joking, in case someone takes that the wrong way.)

BladeOFLucas

Smash Journeyman
S/O to all those who still think Midna or Mewtwo will be the challenger: Midna was a trophy at the invitational and Mewtwo was already a character. Come on people, look in your heart, you know this to be true.

Rope Snake Confirmed:troll:

In all honesty though, the list of characters I see as viable choices are:
Shulk
Ridley
Bowser Jr.
Simon Belmont
Slip----I mean, Krystal
Isaac
Professor Oak (with 6 pokemon, would be my thought)

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Am I the only one who isn't looking forward to this? Don't get me wrong, I love seeing new characters, but can we get a newcomer who isn't Shulk, Chrom, or Chorus Men/Marshall to throw everyone off? It'll help shake up the game and the roster everyone's playing safe on

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
...But I'm no Rythm Heaven expert, so I would only GUESS Chorus Kids are the iconic faces there. I heard they were put in one of the boxarts, or something.
The Chorus Kids were in the DS Rhythm Heaven. They really weren't anything exemplary or important.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Am I the only one who isn't looking forward to this? Don't get me wrong, I love seeing new characters, but can we get a newcomer who isn't Shulk, Chrom, or Chorus Men/Marshall to throw everyone off? It'll help shake up the game and the roster everyone's playing safe on
I agree with what you're saying, but I'm still excited regardless.

Top Bottom