• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

More hints for Sm4sh in Spring (this time from Nintendo itself)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If any spring release date, I'd have guessed May too. Would be pretty cool if that's real, and if it is we'll likely find out very soon.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Admittedly, I like to know a lot about the game in advance ahead of time. And I probably still will unless the game releases internationally with both versions at the same time. Which I doubt is going to be what happens.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I'm not saying I'm getting my hopes up for a spring release.....but I don't know how to finish that sentence. In all seriousness though I've been saying I would like a spring release it's nice to hear that, that may be a possibility now but until we get something official I'm not going to put to much weight behind that hope.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Someone mentioned in the other thread this may not be May 5th, just simply 5 = 5th month, which is May.

Then the relation may not be towards smash and it's simply a calendar. Hopefully its just a coincidence. We need to see the rest of the cards though.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Someone mentioned in the other thread this may not be May 5th, just simply 5 = 5th month, which is May.

Then the relation may not be towards smash and it's simply a calendar. Hopefully its just a coincidence. We need to see the rest of the cards though.
If Donkey Kong is in February, I guess there's a relation.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord

Oh ok, I was wondering why people got a 5th of May release date from this. Personally, I think the highlighted days (in red) might be days of game releases if they're not special days, etc.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591

Fatmanonice posted this in another thread, had a video but did not know how to post it

January: Wii U Party
February: Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympic Games
March: Pikmin 3
April: the Wonderful 101
May: Super Smash Bros
June: Mario and Luigi: Dream Team
July: DK: Tropical Freeze
August: Mario Kart 8
September: Wind Waker HD
October: Pokemon X and Y
November: Animal Crossing: New Leaf
December: Super Mario 3D World

pitthekit

Smash Ace
I really doubt they imported models from Brawl to SSB4 if Sakurai said they had to do all characters from scratch in SSB4... it would probably explain why Sakurai apologized in advance that he won't have time to bring all characters back to SSB4 but he is trying to add as many characters as possible before time's up.
Um he just hates an overly large roster which makes balancing harder. Also if you paid attiention to the trailers of sm4sh you would see that all vets keep their aerials and grounded attacks. Only a few got a new special attack. So yes they did import moves and possible frame data.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Yeah. In the trailers shown so far, it doesn't look like most of the character animations have changed much, if at all. Bowser is an exception to this.

This was actually mostly true from Melee to Brawl, as well, so I'm not worried about that. Knockback angles, physics, and range/speed make all the difference, so the moveset should feel familiar but new at the same time.

Look at Marth, Peach, Fox, and Sheik (and even CF). Their moveset didn't change much visually from Melee to Brawl, but they all played like new/different characters. So I have no problem with the developers reusing animations if they still fit the characters.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I think Sakurai mentioned that Samus was made from scratch (at least the model) due to the details, and Other M look.
But Bowser also looks anything but imported. He doesn't look or move anything like prior Bowsers.

Other than that, I think he ported pretty much every other character, but touched up on details.

I'm on the side of the fence that believes the Spring rumor is true. It's a shame on one hand, because I wasn't ready to get a Wii U yet.

pitthekit

Smash Ace
I think Sakurai mentioned that Samus was made from scratch (at least the model) due to the details, and Other M look.
But Bowser also looks anything but imported. He doesn't look or move anything like prior Bowsers.

Other than that, I think he ported pretty much every other character, but touched up on details.

I'm on the side of the fence that believes the Spring rumor is true. It's a shame on one hand, because I wasn't ready to get a Wii U yet.
yeah i want the wii U's price to drop cuz i am only gonna get a wii u for sm4sh.. pretty pathetic of me lol.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
For all of you on the fence, I'd say there's never been a better time to get a WiiU. Get it now and wait for the "next-Gen" consoles to get better games and come down in price.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I already got the Wii U bundle with Mario + Luigi U. I am not in a hurry to open it and play 3D World and Pikmin 3 and EarthBound and DuckTales (these two will be my first purchases from the Wii U eShop)... I can wait till Christmas to play them. :awesome:

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
got the wii u the year it come out in anticpation of this game and mario kart 8 :p

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The Wii U is just waiting for me under the christmas tree at the moment. Really excited about it, especially with 3D World, Sonic Lost World and AC IV: Black Flag going along with it.

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
The Wii U is just waiting for me under the christmas tree at the moment. Really excited about it, especially with 3D World, Sonic Lost World and AC IV: Black Flag going along with it.
You're gonna love 3d world my wife, daughter and myself have a blast playing it :)

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
We got a Wii U a while back, and I can't wait for Christmas. Hopefully, I'll be seeing Super Mario 3D World, DuckTales Remastered and Lego Marvel Super Heroes under the tree... and my little brother's asking for Pikmin 3, Nintendo Land and Donkey Kong Country Returns.

so is the smash out in may officially debunked?
I wouldn't count it out just yet. This game is going to have to release sometime during the early quarters of next year. If they don't, Sony and Microsoft are going to gain a lot of Momentum. Destiny, Watch Dogs, Metal Gear Solid 5, Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts III, not to mention previous generation systems already have Grand Theft Auto V and Gran Turismo 6, not to mention E3 lurking around the corner.

Nintendo is screwed out of most of the big games this generation, so they are going to have to pick up the pace. They can't afford to wait another year , or even a couple months for that matter.

I don't see Kingdom Hearts III getting out before 2015. The "trailer" they showed could've run on a PS2.
And that still leaves us with Destiny, Metal Gear Solid V, Final Fantasy XV, The Division, Battlefield 4 (currently), and many other games like Dark Souls 2,and yes, Kingdom Hearts III matters no matter how long it takes for it release because it adds to the systems longevity. Look at the Wii now, they stopped making games for it more than a year and a half ago, while the PS3 and 360 are still kicking. I wouldn't be surprised if they sold more of those units than the Wii U because it has a full library as if is that is continuing to expand. If you believe the Wii U is going to survive on the too little too late attempts Nintendo is making you're kidding yourself.

So after Smash Bros and Zelda, what is next for Nintendo? I don't know, but they need to consistently pull out heavy hitters and hopefully gain some 3rd party support if they hope for their system to survive, especially since that even one of their main franchises , Super Mario 3D world is not selling even in Japan. I know I sound negative, but it's the truth. I know many of people, casual player or not who had bought their systems for Smash Bros., he'll it was the reason why I bought my GameCube when I was a kid, and it's why I bought a Wii. Nintendo knows this; they need their system to sell, and releasing repeat titles as well as games no one really asked for isn't the way to do it; releasing a bunch of Donkey Kong games isn't cutting it, they're making games like Dream Works makes movies.

All I'm saying is Nintendo needs to get on it and make some games that people want or at least innovate like they did in the old days, because playing it safe isn't working for them.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
And that still leaves us with Destiny, Metal Gear Solid V, Final Fantasy XV, The Division, Battlefield 4 (currently), and many other games like Dark Souls 2,and yes, Kingdom Hearts III matters no matter how long it takes for it release because it adds to the systems longevity. Look at the Wii now, they stopped making games for it more than a year and a half ago, while the PS3 and 360 are still kicking. I wouldn't be surprised if they sold more of those units than the Wii U because it has a full library as if is that is continuing to expand. If you believe the Wii U is going to survive on the too little too late attempts Nintendo is making you're kidding yourself.

So after Smash Bros and Zelda, what is next for Nintendo? I don't know, but they need to consistently pull out heavy hitters and hopefully gain some 3rd party support if they hope for their system to survive, especially since that even one of their main franchises , Super Mario 3D world is not selling even in Japan. I know I sound negative, but it's the truth. I know many of people, casual player or not who had bought their systems for Smash Bros., he'll it was the reason why I bought my GameCube when I was a kid, and it's why I bought a Wii. Nintendo knows this; they need their system to sell, and releasing repeat titles as well as games no one really asked for isn't the way to do it; releasing a bunch of Donkey Kong games isn't cutting it, they're making games like Dream Works makes movies.

All I'm saying is Nintendo needs to get on it and make some games that people want or at least innovate like they did in the old days, because playing it safe isn't working for them.
Well they have the new Smash, DK Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, X (looks like an amazing game), a new Zelda, and other things like Miyamoto's new IP. They have some older franchises mixed in with some new stuff and that sounds good to me. I'm not saying they don't need Smash in Spring, just telling ya they do have good games coming.

Well they have the new Smash, DK Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, X (looks like an amazing game), a new Zelda, and other things like Miyamoto's new IP. They have some older franchises mixed in with some new stuff and that sounds good to me. I'm not saying they don't need Smash in Spring, just telling ya they do have good games coming.
That's true. I really feel that literally the only thing wrong with Nintendo is that they aren't optimizing on the games they can create . With so many franchised and their reputation for making quirky innovative games they can do so much more with the Wii U than just sticking to the same formula. We'll see after E3 though, hopefully they throw people something.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
That's true. I really feel that literally the only thing wrong with Nintendo is that they aren't optimizing on the games they can create . With so many franchised and their reputation for making quirky innovative games they can do so much more with the Wii U than just sticking to the same formula. We'll see after E3 though, hopefully they throw people something.
Yeah really, Nintendo has a lot of older franchises they can revive too. Imagine a new F-Zero, Earthbound, or even reviving that Nazo no Murasame-jo game (one Takamaru is from). Another game for Takamaru could be especially likely if he's in the next Smash (and we all know how well that turned out for Pit). Nintendo definitely has a chance to completely one-up everyone else, so hopefully they take it.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
The wii u is turning into a new gamecube. Fantastic 1st party games and very limited 3rd party involvement. While that's sad for the console sales, the gamecube had some of the best games ever...so that's not inherently a terrible thing for gamers.

There've been a few news reports that indicate the console is starting to pick up in sales. Hopefully that's true and nintendo will do well enough to not prematurely kill the console.

Rouge

Smash Journeyman
Spring 2014 would be great. One thing, though, is that comparing development time for this game with prior installments could be misleading. After all, Sm4sh is the first game of the series to be released on two distinct consoles. I'm no programmer so I don't know how long that would take, but it's still something to think about.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Spring 2014 would be great. One thing, though, is that comparing development time for this game with prior installments could be misleading. After all, Sm4sh is the first game of the series to be released on two distinct consoles. I'm no programmer so I don't know how long that would take, but it's still something to think about.
It also is a cooperative effort with Namco. And if the 3DS version is going to be released at a later date, it is entirely possible that we would still see SSB4 for the Wii U this spring or summer in Japan at the very least. Then they would only need to localize that finished product and focus development effort on finishing the 3DS version.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Localization probably won't be an issue this time around. Nintendo has done a great job so far releasing games close to the Japanese launches recently and I know if Pokemon X/Y got global launches, Smash 4 should be either a global launch or within weeks of Japan's release.

Anyways, in regards to the Wii U, it's sad to see how things are turning out. Mario 3D World is a brilliant game and although there are 2 mil Wii Us out there in the US, less than 300k got around to getting the game the first week. Wii U would have had an uptick in sales if they released Mario Kart 8 this month like how Nintendo did for 3DS back in 2011 with Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7. Those two game really boosted the sales of the 3DS, as well as the big announcements made for the system during that time (also, the surge of great small titles on the eShop such as Pushmo, VVVVV, Mighty Switch Force, etc).

If Nintendo can rally more indie developers and lock games onto their console then they can really hold out. Surprisingly, indie games are the better games being made recently and I'm so looking forward to into 2014. Shantae, Shovel Knight, Unepic, Armillo, Pier Solar HD, Cryamore, Assault Android Cactus, Child of Light, The 90s Arcade Racer and so on. I'm going to make the most out of my purchase of the Wii U (bought it last year near launch) even if the sales are miserable. I'm planning on getting a PS4 or Xbone in two years time... Unless, I get a Steam Box.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I just hope IF THAT LEAK WAS TRUE that nintendo was not holding the other 3 for the next e3 because if so it obv wont realEse in spring lol

Wegenbarth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3609-1252-6127
Welp. Sakurai's Twitter just confirmed that the rumor that SmashBros comes out in Spring is not true.

Wegenbarth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3609-1252-6127
It absolutely made sense from a sales perspective.

I'm still waiting that tweet though.
https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai maybe?

桜井 政博@Sora_Sakurai 3h
何やら新作『スマブラ』が、来年春に出るというウワサがあるようですが、これは誤報です。出元はドイツのようですが、発言した事実も無いのだとか。 まあ…そういう誤報はよくあります。

Google TL:
"There seems to be a new rumor "Smash Bros." is called out in the spring of next year something, but this is misinformation. De-moto is like Germany, but such as he is not even the fact that you speak. It is common misinformation like that ... Well."

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
well nintendo i believe anything past a spring realse is a mistake my hype just went down if i have to wait another year to use my wii u :(

Top Bottom