• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

More hints for Sm4sh in Spring (this time from Nintendo itself)

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
A user on NeoGAF posted this interview from Bernd Fakesch, German Nintendo General Manager, where he hints a spring window release for Super Smash Bros., alongside MK8:

http://www.neckar-chronik.de/Home/s...omplexe-Steuerung-der-Wii-U-_arid,239177.html

The part we're all interested in is this one, obviously in German: Für nächstes Frühjahr sind außerdem mit Mario Kart8 und Super Smash Bros. zwei weitere große Lizenzspiele für unsere TV-Konsole angekündigt.

The user translated it in: For next spring two more big license games are also announced for our TV console with Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros.

Maybe some other German Smashboards user can confirm it, sure the fact that the dude's name is FAKEsch isn't really assuring though, but we're definitely getting a lot of confirmation for a Spring release date of the game lately from many trustworthy faces. Who knows.

dnNCEW

Smash Rookie
Ooooh nice find, if this is anything like the situation with the DKC boxart where people weren't supposed to know, we might have Reggie reach out soon and say "Well s***, you got us :D Smash is gonna be released in the spring teehee"
We can only hope.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
please be true, please be true please be true please be true, please be true please be true please be true, please be true please be true please be true, please be true please be true please be true, please be true please be true please be true, please be true please be true please be true, please be true please be true please be true, please be true please be true please be true, please be true please be true please be true, please be true please be true please be true, please be true please be true please be true, please be true please be true please be true, please be true please be true please be true, please be true please be true please be true, please be true please be true please be true, please be true please be true please be true, please be true please be true please be true, please be true please be true please be true, please be true please be true please be true, please be true please be true please be true, please be true please be true please be true, please be true please be true please be true, please be true please be true please be true, please be true please be true

peachy!

super princess
The translation is correct. I really hope Smash Bros. releases during spring.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If Smash was to be released during the Spring you'd think they'd step up the veteran reveals.

Hoping it's true but I'm not holding my breath.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Spring release? Interesting... It's earlier than I expected, yet entirely plausible.

Of course, Spring can mean as early as March and as late as June. I'd say May and June are the most plausible release dates for me.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Nintendo going crazy and releasing Mario Kart and Sm4sh the same day

That sounds more than a little stupid. Not to mention there's two Sm4shes to go around. The logical plan to me seems to be to release the WiiU version first and then after your sure it won't cannibalise sales release the 3DS version.

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
I for one hope this won't end up true. In order to release the game in, say, April, devs need to have it content complete by February, or even earlier (I'm not in the industry, mind you, but bugs need to be squashed, discs need to be pressed etc.). And we're talking about Germany here, with Japan typically taking priority with most Nintendo titles, though this is changing obviously. I want them to take their time, especially given Sakurai's anti-DLC, anti-ongoing stance (which by the way I completely understand, I'm only noting the implications that we'll have what we'll get at launch).

But hope is one thing, and expectations is another. Nintendo doesn't want to cannibalise sales of its own games. So in my humble opinion they won't push for spring release if there are few 2014 releases planned, so that Mario Kart won't compete with Smash, for instance. On the other hand, if they'll have multiple hit baits ready for second half of 2014, I can see a May release

B!ggad

Smash Apprentice
That'd be crazy. I know it's plausible but imagining playing it as early as in 4 months feels so wrong.

I haven't suffered anywhere close to enough for it to feel right. Needs a delay further down the line for adequate suffering for a new smash release.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
That'd be crazy. I know it's plausible but imagining playing it as early as in 4 months feels so wrong.

I haven't suffered anywhere close to enough for it to feel right. Needs a delay further down the line for adequate suffering for a new smash release.

Yep, a year-long delay to add Tingle is needed.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I for one hope this won't end up true. In order to release the game in, say, April, devs need to have it content complete by February, or even earlier (I'm not in the industry, mind you, but bugs need to be squashed, discs need to be pressed etc.). And we're talking about Germany here, with Japan typically taking priority with most Nintendo titles, though this is changing obviously. I want them to take their time, especially given Sakurai's anti-DLC, anti-ongoing stance (which by the way I completely understand, I'm only noting the implications that we'll have what we'll get at launch).

But hope is one thing, and expectations is another. Nintendo doesn't want to cannibalise sales of its own games. So in my humble opinion they won't push for spring release if there are few 2014 releases planned, so that Mario Kart won't compete with Smash, for instance. On the other hand, if they'll have multiple hit baits ready for second half of 2014, I can see a May release
Just sayin', but Brawl and MK Wii got released two montish apart (January 31st and April 8th).
Mario Kart 8 in March and Sm4sh in June is absolutely plausible.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Every time we speculate a release date, fate/Sakurai will delay it.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Damn I was so close to finishing college...
Oh well, maybe in another life! LOL! JK

Can't wait to play!!

MoonlapseOpethian

Smash Journeyman
I hope it takes longer and doesn't release until June or so. That'll have marked one year since the E3 trailer, meaning they've been working on it for a year (plus whatever time beforehand) which will hopefully make the game feel more polished and have more characters/better gameplay mechanics.

You can't rush perfection, not that Smash is perfect, but generally the longer they take, the better the game will be. (hopefully)

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I hope it takes longer and doesn't release until June or so. That'll have marked one year since the E3 trailer, meaning they've been working on it for a year (plus whatever time beforehand) which will hopefully make the game feel more polished and have more characters/better gameplay mechanics.

You can't rush perfection, not that Smash is perfect, but generally the longer they take, the better the game will be. (hopefully)
Again, Melee is considered to be the best in the franchise and took only one year and a half to complete.
I understand wanting to give more time to Sakurai, but that doesn't confirm a better game overall.
June 2014 would be two years and a half of development in total, which is more than enough, so I would be OK with it.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Again, Melee is considered to be the best in the franchise and took only one year and a half to complete.
I understand wanting to give more time to Sakurai, but that doesn't confirm a better game overall.
June 2014 would be two years and a half of development in total, which is more than enough, so I would be OK with it.
And again, this years and a half was really intense for Sakurai; intense enought to call this period of his life "destructive".

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I don't see the connection at all.
Assuming Smash 4 will be released in Spring which is only a few months away, I would have expected Sakurai to reveal far more characters. Assuming that the roster will have at least 45 characters, 18 characters being revealed in total after all this time sure seems short.

I also hope that they take their time with this, considering I don't want any Brawl characters to be cut due to time constraints and I want there to be a fairly large amount of newcomers. Considering that there won't be a Subspace Emissary like mode for them to spend a ton of time, effort and money on, I do believe this is indeed a possibility.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Assuming Smash 4 will be released in Spring which is only a few months away, I would have expected Sakurai to reveal far more characters. Assuming that the roster will have at least 45 characters, 18 characters being revealed in total after all this time sure seems short.
Even Brawl took his time with the reveals, I remind you that after its original trailer (in which 9/10 characters were revealed) we had to wait an entire year and change to the next character to be announced (excluding Fox).

Also, these comparisons fell short every time. It's possible that Sakurai simply chose to keep more things secret this time around, which would be wise. One of the main problems which lead to the disappointment regarding Brawl was that almost everyone knew basically everything about the game when they purchased it. The Dojo killed completely the element of surprise. I'm all in for buying the final product not knowing let's say 10 characters in the roster.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Even Brawl took his time with the reveals, I remind you that after its original trailer (in which 9/10 characters were revealed) we had to wait an entire year and change to the next character to be announced (excluding Fox).

I wasn't there during the Brawl speculation.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Hmm... Brawl had a 2.5 year cycle, four months of those were for extra fine-tuning and adding Sonic. Assuming that no SSE means that less time is needed and the larger team (including Namco) can make the co-development less of an issue I'd still say the game has a while to go. I'm also assuming all third parties have been sorted out beforehand. Super Smash 4's development started truly (rather than just an E3 announcement) after Kid Icarus Uprising's release in March 2012. That's just over 2 years if that means a May release.

For now let's assume that it's on track for Late Spring but that delays can and will happen. Maybe that's why they're holding back on characters, just in case of delay.

shaggypatriot12

Smash Cadet
As much as i wanna believe this, how credible is the source? I don't speak german and i really dont trust google translate very much..if I were interviewing this guy and he said that smash 4 would release in the spring along with mario kart, my next question would certainly be related to that, seeing as how that is previously unknown information (to the general public obviously). So that, to me, begs the question..why didnt the interviewer dig deeper into this? If the source is credible though I will be ecstatic

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I could definitely see the Wii U version coming around May or sooner.. and then the 3DS version coming as late as Fall or Holidays... I've never really expected a same-day release for them.

I almost feel like Brawl was too polished, so a bit of a rushed development cycle would be a good thing, imo (I know I'm crazy)

Top Bottom