• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

More hints for Sm4sh in Spring (this time from Nintendo itself)

B!ggad

Smash Apprentice
Oh okay so it looks like they really changed that very detail. The question is, is it because he spilled some beans or because he realized he didn't know or was simply misinformed.

No way for us to know, but we'll know soon enough.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I imagine they aren't 100% sure if the game will be completely ready for a spring or a summer release yet, so they don't want that kind of statement getting made, even if it's close to accurate.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
It's gonna be a holiday release.

They want the most sales possible.

Thing is, Smash will continue to sell after its release (as will Mario Kart) and won't really go down in price, so for sales numbers on this particular game, I believe it doesn't really matter when it releases.

The only thing I can see is that having Smash release in an otherwise "dead" month on the console A) won't drive as many sales away from other Wii U / 3DS titles around Christmas, B) would have a HUGE attach rate for people who already have a Wii U or 3DS, and C) would likely have a huge bump on the Q2 or Q3 financials... which would be great for Nintendo.

I almost think an April/May release for the Wii U version would be better for them in the long run (assuming the game is ready, of course)

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep

Smash Bros. is probably the franchise that has the longest legs out of all Nintendo's work. It's not a matter of in what time of the year they release it, it's gonna sell anyway. Brawl managed to get to 13 millions and was released in June if I'm not mistaken. It's not a fad.

And anyway, they don't really need to sell Smash Bros. They need to sell WiiUs.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582

Brawl came out in March(North America). Even with the many fail elements of brawl it's still the #6 top selling Wii game. Nintendo could release SSB4 on 9/11 and it will make top 5 in sales for Wii U.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Yeah I almost think having Mario Kart and Smash come out mid-year would show a "double bump" in the number of Wii U's sold next year... 1 bump when the games release, and another for the holidays.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I don't know. It seems more likely to me that it was more misspeaking than misquoting, but what do I know.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
nintendo has not changed there minds on 9m wiiu's being sold by the end of march

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/435868/nintendo-reports-300k-wii-u-console-sales-in-q2/

in order to do that you think they have some heavy hitters releasing to make them so confident.
Yeah, I'm definitely sticking to a Q2 release of Smash (or close after). They have stuff like Mario Kart coming out (and probably Bayonetta 2 around then too), but they should strive for more system sellers around then if they expect a lot of sales.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I just don't get why everyone thinks it be held to winter ( it might I could be wrong ) I mean it's not like the game will dissapear from selves and not be there this winter. Plus maybe Nintendo will have zelda or the next galaxy mario then.

Morbi

Scavenger

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Mario Kart is awesome and all, but if that's all they're relying on for all those sales then:

:troll:
I really want to know what this clip is from now, haha.

They're gonna release it in 2015.
It will have been in development for as long as Brawl was come February, and while they are developing two games at once, neither has an SSE taking up a lot of development, meaning more work has been put into these by comparison for the same amount of time. Just as well, Nintendo needs the Wii U to sell, and holding off one of the major hitters for another year is very bad marketing, so to believe it will come out in 2015 is a little asinine. Q4 2014, maybe, but 2015 is unreasonable, sans delays (which, even then, would not extend into 2015 due to the above).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I find this rumor to be rather awkward. A more realistic release date for the two Smash Bros. titles would have to be late 2014, just so that the game developers can just go through everything to see if the coding is operating right.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I still think it's kind of ridiculous that people think this game needs 35-40 months to make when it has more people working on it?

We saw Brawl some 7-8 months into development, and it took another 19. We saw Smash 4 already a year and a few months into development. It's been 6 months. I really doubt we'll need more than another 6.

That's pretty far from what is actually wrong with that rumor.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings

For context, someone got a copy of the Club Nintendo 2014 Calender. Each month has a game that were/will be released on that particular month, with Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS being labeled as May.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
For context, someone got a copy of the Club Nintendo 2014 Calender. Each month has a game that were/will be released on that particular month, with Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS being labeled as May.
Oh damn, that's pretty legit. What else is in there, I wonder?

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Yeah after the first seconds of excitement, I don't know.
It looks KINDA legit, but... If Nintendo doesn't want to make the release date public, why should it print something like this?
Nah, I'm gonna pass on this one.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Tumblr.

Thought it would be interesting to discuss.
And that the supposed Spring release leak just seems to get more and more legit. Woah man...

This means that all this time, if the release really is a few months away, thathe amount of characters confirmed up until now and the rate of reveal is surprisingly slow. Weird.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Yeah after the first seconds of excitement, I don't know.
It looks KINDA legit, but... If Nintendo doesn't want to make the release date public, why should it print something like this?
Nah, I'm gonna pass on this one.
unless it arrived early and nintendo will reveal the date in there dec/jan direct

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well it is believable, considering by that point the game would in theory have been in development for roughly 2 years and 3 months, the same amount of development Brawl had.

But for me, it would be a smart idea to think Spring 2014, then work your way down. There is always a possibility of a delay of some sort, or one version being released earlier then the other.

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
Were there any comments from that tumblr pic? Any date for Mario Kart or other games?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So... what? SSB4 comes out on May 5, 2014??? If so, that's good because that will be when the spring semester is over and I got all summer to play SSB4 till the fall semester... and by then, I would already have unlocked everything. :awesome:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
And that the supposed Spring release leak just seems to get more and more legit. Woah man...

This means that all this time, if the release really is a few months away, thathe amount of characters confirmed up until now and the rate of reveal is surprisingly slow. Weird.

Actually, That's a pretty smart idea... reveal the characters that Smashers care about early (Peach, Marth, Sonic, etc.. Sheik and Falco WHERE ARE YOU?) and then have new character and stage reveals every few days a month or two before release to push the hype to crazy levels. I do hope some characters stay hidden this time, though.

This actually seems to be the method they are using... where the number of meaningful updates has increased dramatically in the last few weeks... it seems like we'll trend that direction until release.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Actually, That's a pretty smart idea... reveal the characters that Smashers care about early (Peach, Marth, Sonic, etc.. Sheik and Falco WHERE ARE YOU?) and then have new character and stage reveals every few days a month or two before release to push the hype to crazy levels. I do hope some characters stay hidden this time, though.

This actually seems to be the method they are using... where the number of meaningful updates has increased dramatically in the last few weeks... it seems like we'll trend that direction until release.
I really hope they keep some characters secret (like even 6-10). I'd forgotten what it feels like to go into a fighting game without knowing the full roster beforehand. Imagine the hype you'd feel when you see the silhouette of a character you really wanted or just didn't expect in the infamous "challenger approaching" screen.

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
I really hope they keep some characters secret (like even 6-10). I'd forgotten what it feels like to go into a fighting game without knowing the full roster beforehand. Imagine the hype you'd feel when you see the silhouette of a character you really wanted or just didn't expect in the infamous "challenger approaching" screen.
I remember that feeling after finding Captain Falcon in 64 for the first time.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
personally I like to know everything in the game in advance, so i can either anticipate someone in it or already grieved if my fav did not make it.

Top Bottom