• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

More hints for Sm4sh in Spring (this time from Nintendo itself)

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Awesome! I knew Smash was coming earlier than the pessimists believed (if this hopefully proves true).

But anyways :awesome:

peachy!

super princess
I have been living in Germany for the past couple of months, so I speak a bit. The translation is correct. According to the article, Smash Bros. is coming in spring.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I just hope the guy wasn't talking out of his butt. We've gotten some wrong information from Nintendo Europe before. Remember when Sonic the Hedgehog was unlikley? Or when they said the Wii didn't need bigger storage because only geeks and otaku could need that much space. (They back-peddled furiously on that one.)

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I just hope the guy wasn't talking out of his butt. We've gotten some wrong information from Nintendo Europe before. Remember when Sonic the Hedgehog was unlikley? Or when they said the Wii didn't need bigger storage because only geeks and otaku could need that much space. (They back-peddled furiously on that one.)
The first one was probably simply to derail the fans from reality. I don't remember the second one, seems more a gaffe than erroneous information to be honest.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I get the feeling this may not be right, we'll just have to wait and see on the next Nintendo Direct. For people talking about the lack of character reveals both new and old, what if Sakurai just doesn't show a majority of the characters before launch for once and leaves most of the newcomers hidden? Personally, I'm thinking he'll reveal at least a few more if the game is actually launching in the Spring, but he did make a fuss about spoilers in Brawl from the SSE.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I get the feeling this may not be right, we'll just have to wait and see on the next Nintendo Direct. For people talking about the lack of character reveals both new and old, what if Sakurai just doesn't show a majority of the characters before launch for once and leaves most of the newcomers hidden? Personally, I'm thinking he'll reveal at least a few more if the game is actually launching in the Spring, but he did make a fuss about spoilers in Brawl from the SSE.
I'm preaching this since July. Sakurai is not going to reveal much this time around, he knows he made a mistake with Brawl's Dojo.
And maybe we can actually get a good rush of surprise from this game when it comes out.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I still remember the "Who's that Pokemon??"-esque screen showing Falco and thinking "no way!" in Melee....

I miss that feeling.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Not to be a hype killer or anything but...

Frühjahr can mean anywhere from January to July as it means early in the year. However, it also does refer to late March to early June.

B!ggad

Smash Apprentice
Frühjahr and Frühling absolutely refer to the same time span (end of march - june) and lexically there is no difference between both words.

majora_787

Smash Hero
25-30 months of development sure goes by fast when the game's not mentioned as early into the cycle as it usually is. Admittedly the secrecy around the game gives me a few doubts myself, but I hope that it comes around to be a somewhat surprising release with surprising content as opposed to Brawl.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Hmm, interesting news. I honestly was not expecting this game to be released until the fourth quarter of 2014. That being said, however, until it is officially confirmed, I think I will wait before getting excited.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I for one hope this won't end up true. In order to release the game in, say, April, devs need to have it content complete by February, or even earlier (I'm not in the industry, mind you, but bugs need to be squashed, discs need to be pressed etc.). And we're talking about Germany here, with Japan typically taking priority with most Nintendo titles, though this is changing obviously. I want them to take their time, especially given Sakurai's anti-DLC, anti-ongoing stance (which by the way I completely understand, I'm only noting the implications that we'll have what we'll get at launch).

But hope is one thing, and expectations is another. Nintendo doesn't want to cannibalise sales of its own games. So in my humble opinion they won't push for spring release if there are few 2014 releases planned, so that Mario Kart won't compete with Smash, for instance. On the other hand, if they'll have multiple hit baits ready for second half of 2014, I can see a May release
they had as much time with this game as they did with brawl with twice the staff size, so I believe they will be ok.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Based on the fact that we still have yet to see any newcomers revealed in 6 months I highly doubt Sakurai will cram the rest + the remaining veterans within the next 4 months.

In other words I'm not holding my breath.

majora_787

Smash Hero
they had as much time with this game as they did with brawl with twice the staff size, so I believe they will be ok.
Especially since if a spring release happens, that's still another few months, and with a focus on the multiplayer experience as opposed to some subspace emissary.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Based on the fact that we still have yet to see any newcomers revealed in 6 months I highly doubt Sakurai will cram the rest + the remaining veterans within the next 4 months.

In other words I'm not holding my breath.
who says he will reveal the rest of the newcommers

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
There better be a character reveal this week. Otherwise I'll write it off as over-optimistic forecasting.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, considering that Sakurai started SSB4 development in February 2012 or March 2012, by the time Spring 2014 comes around (March 2014).... Sakurai would have had at least 24 months of development time...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
That really confuses me about game development time. Some studios can crank out games faster than I can write 6 panel comics and others make me and my procrastination butt look productive. What's the average cycle on a game that doesn't have a direct predecessor to build on and re-use code from like say, Modern Warfare?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That really confuses me about game development time. Some studios can crank out games faster than I can write 6 panel comics and others make me and my procrastination butt look productive. What's the average cycle on a game that doesn't have a direct predecessor to build on and re-use code from like say, Modern Warfare?
I dunno... depending on the size of your staff and how big is your budget and how good your staff are with programming and etc, etc, etc...

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I guess it helps that there isn't an equivalent to Subspace Emissary to eat up development time, and there isn't like 6 studios developing the game at the same time.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I'm preaching this since July. Sakurai is not going to reveal much this time around, he knows he made a mistake with Brawl's Dojo.
And maybe we can actually get a good rush of surprise from this game when it comes out.

Oh god please no! Brawl's Dojo was NOT a mistake, I love knowing because it hypes me, but let's say, if I go in the game thinking ridley is not in, it'll just be painful if he shows up, I want to know every little detail about the game before release.

B!ggad

Smash Apprentice
Judging by your signature, pleasant surprises are hurtful experiences to you?

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
A game? What kind of game, may I ask? Do iOS games count?

No, seriously. This is very different depending on the game. Something along the lines of "Let's make a solitaire compilation", or "Let's make a super-simplified infinite runner" can (doesn't have to, mind you) be done in a week. The game of Smash caliber seems to be usually taking anything from one year to three, but typically less than two. Perhaps surprisingly, being a sequel doesn't necessarily speed the development up, since in every branch of development you are slightly constrained by predecessor, which may be a good or bad thing.

Why wouldn't he? Newcomers are hype builders. Hype = more preorders.
Nintendo isn't exactly the type of game company that craves preorders, since the used market is far nicer to them than... companies that do crave preorders.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
A game? What kind of game, may I ask? Do iOS games count?

No, seriously. This is very different depending on the game. Something along the lines of "Let's make a solitaire compilation", or "Let's make a super-simplified infinite runner" can (doesn't have to, mind you) be done in a week. The game of Smash caliber seems to be usually taking anything from one year to three, but typically less than two. Perhaps surprisingly, being a sequel doesn't necessarily speed the development up, since in every branch of development you are slightly constrained by predecessor, which may be a good or bad thing.

I guess I meant a (hate to use the term) Triple A title. I always hear about long development cycles but in my head long development means at least three years. I guess I should watch more documentaries about productions that went swimmingly.

weegee2407

Smash Cadet
Ninty usually gets their hype in short bursts (not counting Brawl dojo), so the sparse information doesn't surprise me. Plus nintendo has had a lot of secrets blown lately so I'm sure they're trying to keep a tight lid on smash.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Okok, lessee here.

- They imported models from SSBB, so that saved up some time no doubt
- They have the assistance of Namco-Bandai, even if Sakurai is stingy in giving command to them, more people mean building the more efficiently. This may or may not mean that it comes faster, but in any case, more people mean more polishing and the peer evaluation is better, which does save time.
- They've been working (supposedly) after the release of Kid Icarus Uprising. Now I doubt he started the day after, but let's just say February 2012/March 2012. So if it were released in Spring, that would mean it was the same as Brawls cycle, as we all know already, 2 years. Spring gives them time to do all the marketing hogwash, polishing, fixing online and so on, so it would make sense
- No SSE; this means no (fleshed out or intense) cut scenes, no expansive enemies/bosses (still could be in 4, but it would be a lesser amount), stages and storyboarding. This means time spent on the engine, the main modes, and online would have more time dedicated to them. Any other new or unheard modes we haven't heard of yet would be vastly less time consuming then SSE was, so it's safe to say it'll be quicker
- We only think it's so soon because of A. We only got a trailer this year, instead of in 2012; and B. we aren't given the luxury of the big Dojo posts - it's just a picture and comment.

This is why I believe the Spring rumor is true. However, i think Fakesch only knows about as much as us - and they probably only have gave him the timeframe for it's release. I imagine they will have a meeting telling all the important heads of Nintendo the tentative schedule for the year. DKC was suppose to come December and it seemed to be the case that it would, but they pushed it out of nowhere.

Also, the GTA Online fiasco has me worried that the online may be an issue. Now, this could just be the debree rubbing up on me from that whole thing, but it's still worthy to bring up. The online could cause them to delay the game if it is not to Sakurai's, or even Nintendo's, standards. Maybe i'm being a worrywart because GTA's situation has a vastly larger amount of people, and hell I think that more people bought GTA then own a WiiU, so the issues may not be so bad. And it's not the first time they've integrated it so it's not new stuff to them.

Oh yes, and I think maybe they'll spread the 3DS and Wii U releases, just to make it appear like they have more on their plate when in actuality the plate is just smaller. It would make sense for the WiiU to come first, as I think the 3DS will be okay with games.

That's my analysis, feel free to add guys.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I really doubt they imported models from Brawl to SSB4 if Sakurai said they had to do all characters from scratch in SSB4... it would probably explain why Sakurai apologized in advance that he won't have time to bring all characters back to SSB4 but he is trying to add as many characters as possible before time's up.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'd see May 2014 as a release date... what do you guys think?

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman
I really doubt they imported models from Brawl to SSB4 if Sakurai said they had to do all characters from scratch in SSB4... it would probably explain why Sakurai apologized in advance that he won't have time to bring all characters back to SSB4 but he is trying to add as many characters as possible before time's up.
I would assume LackadaisyAlax was talking about items and other such things. Prime example would be the capsule, which originally had its Brawl model and of course now it has a new look.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy

I swear he imported models and basic structures of characters from Brawl. I could have sworn I saw that somewhere. Hm, well if it's false I apoligize.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I swear he imported models and basic structures of characters from Brawl. I could have sworn I saw that somewhere. Hm, well if it's false I apoligize.
Oh, he did hun. In the summer of 2012, he stated that he's using Brawl assets as a starting point. This is why you see the same idle animations and similarities with the models in Brawl. They're just touched up. In the same time period, he said Bamco Studios already had the game engine/beta up and running and that he liked what he saw. My guess Nintendo contracted Bamco Studios without Sakurai knowing and they had their version up and running. They enlisted 3 studios to accelerate development from Namco.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Oh, he did hun. In the summer of 2012, he stated that he's using Brawl assets as a starting point. This is why you see the same idle animations and similarities with the models in Brawl. They're just touched up. In the same time period, he said Bamco Studios already had the game engine/beta up and running and that he liked what he saw. My guess Nintendo contracted Bamco Studios without Sakurai knowing and they had their version up and running. They enlisted 3 studios to accelerate development from Namco.

One - Thanks, I knew i wasn't wrong about it. Not just from the fact, but you can tell when looking at videos of them moving and such.
Two - Hu-hun ?
Three - Your picture is all boobs ahaha. Last thing i think about when i'm on crashboards talking about sakurai and villager movesets xD

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Bad news, one translation I got was next year, not next spring specifically

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Next Spring is still next year if I remember correctly.

I hope you're missing the point for comedy's sake.

I guess I'll go back to my original optimistic guestimate of an August release

B!ggad

Smash Apprentice
Bad news, one translation I got was next year, not next spring specifically
Haha what the hell, so I decided to read the article now after Guybrush's posts instead of just going with the quote that's in the OP and it's actually misquoted.

It says:

"Für nächstes Jahr (instead of Frühjahr, as stated in the OP) sind außerdem mit Mario Kart8 und Super Smash Bros. zwei weitere große Lizenzspiele für unsere TV-Konsole angekündigt."

Which literally means "for next year", there is no mention of spring. Maybe they edited it because it's uncharacteristic for something like this to spread on GAF when it could have gotten fact checked so easily. Odd situation. Wish I read it earlier.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Haha what the hell, so I decided to read the article now after Guybrush's posts instead of just going with the quote that's in the OP and it's actually misquoted.

It says:

"Für nächstes Jahr (instead of Frühjahr, as stated in the OP) sind außerdem mit Mario Kart8 und Super Smash Bros. zwei weitere große Lizenzspiele für unsere TV-Konsole angekündigt."

Which literally means "for next year", there is no mention of spring. Maybe they edited it because it's uncharacteristic for something like this to spread on GAF when it could have gotten fact checked so easily. Odd situation. Wish I read it earlier.
So this alleged Spring release was just a mistranslation?

I checked the original article and found this tagline: 09.12.2013 - 08:30 Uhr | geändert: 11.12.2013 - 11:01 Uhr
It suggest the article was edited. (I don't understand German, but inputting "geändert" on an online translator will translate it has "changed.")

Now, the rumor has pretty much spread through the Internet.

Top Bottom