• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas replacing Ness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
NESS CANNOT BE REPLACE
ask any ness player... and how the hell is NESS going to be a costume for LUCAS

theyre 2 different ppl

NESS FOR BRAWL
I main Ness and I say he can and has been replaced.

Onion Knight

Smash Cadet
I'm not going to say if he's in or not cause the game comes out in 3 months... I dont see how people are stating that Ness is out like it's a fact. I'm not taking any sides because the only characters in the game are the ones announced, obviously. I would like Ness to be in it, but right now we do not know.

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
I'm not going to say if he's in or not cause the game comes out in 3 months... I dont see how people are stating that Ness is out like it's a fact. I'm not taking any sides because the only characters in the game are the ones announced, obviously. I would like Ness to be in it, but right now we do not know.

WE are foreshadowing waht has been said during the updates

but yea i know what you mean
but when you have conbtext clues like taht its kinda hard NOT to read between the lines

Noshiee

Smash Ace
EXACTALY.

Thats what I want!

That or Metal Poles or something. Though bat seems cooler.

Also.

If Lucas is going to have a weapon, LET IT BE YO-YO and HAMMER.

PLEASE.
hammer? I dont remember a hammer?!
anyway, "if" he gets like a weapon FSmash, is going to be a stick or a scepter, maybe is going to be like Peach FSMash, where the power varies depending on the weapon she pulled out (tennis racket, gulf club or frying pan), maybe LUcas could work like that (normal stick, cool stick and scepter?), well, that "if" he gets a weapon FSmash.

elwordo310

Smash Cadet
hammer? I dont remember a hammer?!
anyway, "if" he gets like a weapon FSmash, is going to be a stick or a scepter, maybe is going to be like Peach FSMash, where the power varies depending on the weapon she pulled out (tennis racket, gulf club or frying pan), maybe LUcas could work like that (normal stick, cool stick and scepter?), well, that "if" he gets a weapon FSmash.
his FS is probably gona be PK Love, its his signiture move

dan smith

Smash Champion
Yeah, FSmash and FS is kind of confusing. I was wondering why somebody suggested PK Love as a forward smash...

Jumanji

Smash Cadet
Basically I do not think Ness will be removed, but rather reworked. They share b-moves and b-airs. The only change that we know of is lucas does not have a yo-yo, which is probably a good thing cause the yo-yo was pretty useless as an actual attack. It really would be weird to stick to big-headed, striped- shirt wearing, PSI using little boys in the game from a relatively minor title. That being said the original 12 are supposed to return so I would be surprised if he did not, just perhaps not the way we remember him.

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
Ness' chances are looking grim. It's such a shame though because I've recently started digging Earthbound on the snes and now it's looking like Ness is out? JUST when I start realizing why everyone likes Earthbound/Ness so much too... For SHAME...

elwordo310

Smash Cadet
Ness' chances are looking grim. It's such a shame though because I've recently started digging Earthbound on the snes and now it's looking like Ness is out? JUST when I start realizing why everyone likes Earthbound/Ness so much too... For SHAME...
I think Sakurai is trying to communicate that there is more to earth bound than just Ness. probably trying to show more of the series by having other characters in the game instead of Ness

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
I think Sakurai is trying to communicate that there is more to earth bound than just Ness. probably trying to show more of the series by having other characters in the game instead of Ness

Yea but it sux when ness is your main... but idk cause i have heard that they said sakuri would bring back all orginal 12 chrachetrs so yea... IM KEEPING MY FINGERS CROSSED~

dan smith

Smash Champion
JonBeBonanaza...you aren't the only one who mains Ness. All evidence so far points to Ness' removal. If you want to pray...do it in silence...and really, you had better start thinking about what things will be like without Ness. You don't want to get your hopes up and then have them crash down on you.

...but seriously...stop talking about how much you hope Ness makes it.

So far, it seems, he probably won't.

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
JonBeBonanaza...you aren't the only one who mains Ness. All evidence so far points to Ness' removal. If you want to pray...do it in silence...and really, you had better start thinking about what things will be like without Ness. You don't want to get your hopes up and then have them crash down on you.

...but seriously...stop talking about how much you hope Ness makes it.

So far, it seems, he probably won't.

MAN I HOPE NESS COMES BACK... *sigh*
yea i get you... i still got samus and link so im not frettin.. but AHH!!!

well see when it comes out

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
I think ness will return. Sakurai is just having fun with his Mindgames. Ofcourse ness will get a new moveset. one with more of his moves. (moves that we're prettymuch only availible to him) or make him a luigified Lucas. Maybe Keep PK Fire and Thunder? i dunno. I hope he comes back.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
I think ness will return. Sakurai is just having fun with his Mindgames. Ofcourse ness will get a new moveset. one with more of his moves. (moves that we're prettymuch only availible to him) or make him a luigified Lucas. Maybe Keep PK Fire and Thunder? i dunno. I hope he comes back.
I don't really think Sakurai likes to mindgame us as much as people think... some people just confuse his randomness with mindgames.

So I do believe Ness is out.

elwordo310

Smash Cadet
I don't really think Sakurai likes to mindgame us as much as people think... some people just confuse his randomness with mindgames.

So I do believe Ness is out.
Agreed. Sakurai is not playing mind games, he is reporting one thing day by day and because we want to know so much due to being pissed that Brawl was pushed back, its building up susspense. Give it time, cause we dont know whats going to happen. Although there are strong suggestions that Ness is out, there is no clearity in Sakurai's words and it can be taken ether way. Be patient

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
Agreed. Sakurai is not playing mind games, he is reporting one thing day by day and because we want to know so much due to being pissed that Brawl was pushed back, its building up susspense. Give it time, cause we dont know whats going to happen. Although there are strong suggestions that Ness is out, there is no clearity in Sakurai's words and it can be taken ether way. Be patient

all i can say is....WE WILL NOW WHEN IT COMES OUT
we shouldnt be expecting to have every single chrachter in brawl revealed to us right???
thats no fun

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
JonBeBonanza is right. Do we want to know EVERYTHING before the game comes out? There will be a lot of info we don't find out until release, including a lot of characters.
Personally, I don't think things are looking as good for Ness as they did at first, but that's just my opinion. If Ness does return (even though I'm not optimistic, I hope he does!), it will mean that Brawl will have clone characters, but they will have enough to differentiate them, like Mario and Luigi.

dan smith

Smash Champion
Man, if I hear the word "Luigified" one more time.

I don't think they will give Ness different moves that are more like his moves in EB...I mean...everybody has always said that Ness should have moves that he actually had in his game...but at the same time, Lucas was just given moves that HE didn't have in his game...so I don't think Lucas taking Ness' moves is being used as an opportunity to give Ness the moves he should have always had.

And the Luigi and Mario comparisson dosen't really work, cause Luigi has to be in smash bros. He is important enough of a character to deserve a spot regardless of how similar he is to his brother. Ness really isn't that important though.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
That isnt what I meant. I think if Ness returns, he will likely only differ from Lucas very slightly, for example, in the Smash moves department. I don't anticipate they would bring Ness back with a totally changed moveset. However, I don't think this would be enough difference, and I think Lucas is it. This will likely get me in trouble, but I happen to like Lucas a bit more. Sorry Ness fans! Just my opinion.
Good point though about the Mario Bros. Luigi is all but guaranteed to come back, and things aren't looking as bright for Ness.
P.S. I dislike the term "Luigified" as well, so I consciously refrained from using it. :)

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
JonBeBonanza is right. Do we want to know EVERYTHING before the game comes out? There will be a lot of info we don't find out until release, including a lot of characters.
Personally, I don't think things are looking as good for Ness as they did at first, but that's just my opinion. If Ness does return (even though I'm not optimistic, I hope he does!), it will mean that Brawl will have clone characters, but they will have enough to differentiate them, like Mario and Luigi.
I never considered Mario and Luigi clones, there was far too much difference between them. I think Mario and Luigi are deliberately given a clone-like appearance just because they're so similar as characters. It's fitting to see the plumber brothers use similar moves.
As for Lucas and Ness, they share less moves than Mario and Luigi: only three, and two of those are fairly different, at that. I wouldn't say Lucas is a Ness clone, I'd say Lucas was just made o APPEAR similar because he and Ness play such similar roles in their respective games.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I never considered Mario and Luigi clones, there was far too much difference between them. I think Mario and Luigi are deliberately given a clone-like appearance just because they're so similar as characters. It's fitting to see the plumber brothers use similar moves.
As for Lucas and Ness, they share less moves than Mario and Luigi: only three, and two of those are fairly different, at that. I wouldn't say Lucas is a Ness clone, I'd say Lucas was just made o APPEAR similar because he and Ness play such similar roles in their respective games.
That's what I think... Like if they took out Ness it would be playing a different character stylewise:

Lucas' lightning kick /=/ Ness' u-tilt (strong up attack = offical name for up tilt)
Lucas' d-smash /=/ Ness' yo-yo
Lucas' u-smash /=/ Ness' yo-yo (this is speculating that the move shown in the E4all trailer is Lucas' u-smash)
Lucas' pk fire goes horizontally, Ness' goes diagonally in the air. Plus they could go different distances/ have different effects
Lucas' pkt = Ness' pkt (they could go different distances and different speeds)
Lucas' PSI magent = Ness' psi magnet (they do the same thing, but Lucas' is in front of him, not that different thoug)
Pk freeze = Pk Falsh (except pk freeze freezes lolz. I'll say it's equal now, but they could be vastly different in terms of knockback and damgae)
Lucas' bair /=/ Ness' bair.

I care more about the playstyle being in rather than the actual character. So far it seems to be left behind. =( Oh well there's always whor... I mean Peach...

Smash Ace
Aye, thesage, I'm beginning to think that people are jumping to conclusions about Ness being out. Lucas sounds like all of his moves are luigi-fied. He may be out, but he may still be in. Sakurai is, after all, the master of mind games.

HourglassMemory

Smash Journeyman
It just doesn't sound reasonable that they took out Ness.
There's nothing that points out for that being true.
"Up until now" (quoting the Dojo) says nothing. It's just stating that Ness has been in the games until now. Now Lucas could be joining him.
Some people are really pessimist. "Oh the character looks like ness, he's totally out."
On Dojo Sakurai also says "Is it possible he can surpass even Ness?!"
Well, how do you think you'll get that question answered unless you compare both characters in the same game? How about you play with both to see which one wins?
Wouldn't it be fun to have psychic kids throwing powers at each other? Sakurai isn't stupid.

In the Dojo it also says "Lucas is very similar." "But Lucas’s physical combat style is quite different."
Mario/Luigi anyone ?
I'm sorry but if someone concludes that Ness is out because of these statements, I just can't understand them.

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
It just doesn't sound reasonable that they took out Ness.
There's nothing that points out for that being true.
"Up until now" (quoting the Dojo) says nothing. It's just stating that Ness has been in the games until now. Now Lucas could be joining him.
Some people are really pessimist. "Oh the character looks like ness, he's totally out."
On Dojo Sakurai also says "Is it possible he can surpass even Ness?!"
Well, how do you think you'll get that question answered unless you compare both characters in the same game? How about you play with both to see which one wins?
Wouldn't it be fun to have psychic kids throwing powers at each other? Sakurai isn't stupid.

In the Dojo it also says "Lucas is very similar." "But Lucas’s physical combat style is quite different."
Mario/Luigi anyone ?
I'm sorry but if someone concludes that Ness is out because of these statements, I just can't understand them.

finally an answer with TECTUAL EVIDENCE... and im not only saying that casue im for ness coming back but he COMPLETELY supported his answer
THANK YOU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom