• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Light Labs: Mega Man Advance Techniques Discovery Thread

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Nice Smash Attack 1 win, btw.

In your tutorial video. How do you do the walking f-tilt with the Metal Blade? I'm having trouble hearing what you say. @34 seconds. "Down-forward while crouching?"

Thanks!
If you hold down-forward, press A to get ftilt. I use that method rather than the cstick.

Megaman11

Smash Rookie
Yesterday in for glory(during the waiting, fighting my clone) I did a full back jump into Uair. But my Uair came out from where my jump started so it literally looked like it came out the ground. I wasn't able to save that replay obviously, but man it was awesome. Has anyone else tried doing back jumps into instant Uairs? It seemed like the Uair had a huge delay which made it good because, theoretically, MM should recover faster. There's no lag during the waiting session so I doubt it has anything do with lag.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Yesterday in for glory(during the waiting, fighting my clone) I did a full back jump into Uair. But my Uair came out from where my jump started so it literally looked like it came out the ground. I wasn't able to save that replay obviously, but man it was awesome. Has anyone else tried doing back jumps into instant Uairs? It seemed like the Uair had a huge delay which made it good because, theoretically, MM should recover faster. There's no lag during the waiting session so I doubt it has anything do with lag.
Now this is the sort of technique I want to see. If we can figure out how to reproduce this, if it can be reproduced, this would be great mindgames against approaching foes. What do you mean by "Back jump"? Just a neutral jump going backwards without pivoting, or what?

Megaman11

Smash Rookie
Now this is the sort of technique I want to see. If we can figure out how to reproduce this, if it can be reproduced, this would be great mindgames against approaching foes. What do you mean by "Back jump"? Just a neutral jump going backwards without pivoting, or what?
Yeah you know like basically doing a regular jump but going backwards. For example, holding down-back(diagonal) on the control stick and jumping.

Edit: I don't remember clearly but I for sure know it was a delayed Uair coming straight from the ground. Which is why my reaction was like :o . But honestly I don't even remember if it was a pivot back jump or not, it could have been. As soon as I saw that I lost it and couldn't wait to share my experience here on forums.

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
This isn't really an advanced technique, and may be something that people know about, but it's new to me so I'll share it:

If you grab a character out of the air after he uses a double jump, and his feet don't touch the ground, it seems that the character does not get his double jump back. (I tested this with the AI, so it could be just a glitch in their programming, but I doubt it.)

Because Mega Man's grab has such good range and can easily pick up airborne opponents, and because his grapple keeps everyone's feet from touching the ground, this gives him some interesting juggle possibilities.

Theoretically, if you grab someone after they've double jumped, you can chain grab them with uthrow (works best after 30%). You just read their DI and movements, and do a running shield grab or pivot grab wherever they land. At 70% or so you can start throwing in a fast falled uair to further control where they land--if you uair to their left, they either have to move to the right or risk getting roofed.

This is mostly theoretical at this point and I need to test it against humans, but it works surprisingly well vs. AI.
Of the grab release thread it says that megamans grab is high and implies that the opponents feet don't touch the ground but this is not true, evidenced by that fact that opponents are able to be ground released (and tested your idea myself). This means that they are touching the ground and get their double jump. Interestingly, Grabbing an opponent over an edge, the opponent is not "touching" the ground as with most grabs. It thinks you are grabbing over an edge and their feet aren't touching the ground, dangling. While onstage it thinks their feet are touching the ground although Megaman lifts them over his head.

TL;DR sorry chopperdave, although you can grab them before they touch the ground, It still would refresh their DJ since they are "touching the ground" even though they visually aren't, unless you hold them over an edge so "their feet are dangling."

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Wanted to post this, because I see too many opportunities for this going unpunished and it is a very solid way to net a kill or tack on a good amount of %. Nothing new, but something I've been working on lately.

JabLemon Lock > utilt/dsmash. Video: (Note that the creator foolishly uses fsmash)

The reason why this is so good with Mega Man is because he kills so early, and the lemons have range. You can jab lock from a distance. AAA utilt/dsmash does ~22-30 extra percent depending on how stale your lemons are and how much you charge the dsmash.

The following moves are specific ones to look out for, as they either launch ~45 degrees or have the Sakurai angle* launching your opponent close to the ground and in tumble where they need to tech:

DA at low %'s
Poorly DI'd fthrow
NAir at low-mid%'s
Late hit of FAir at high%'s

It's not much, but always be on the lookout for a jab lock opportunity. Instead of punishing a missed tech with a dash attack (which is very common since most characters cannot jab lock from a distance), punish with this.

*look up the Sakurai angle in the smash dictionary in the smash academy.
Sidenote: Charizard can't tech when he falls to the ground after a flareblitz hits/is blocked. Punish accordingly.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Of the grab release thread it says that megamans grab is high and implies that the opponents feet don't touch the ground but this is not true, evidenced by that fact that opponents are able to be ground released (and tested your idea myself). This means that they are touching the ground and get their double jump. Interestingly, Grabbing an opponent over an edge, the opponent is not "touching" the ground as with most grabs. It thinks you are grabbing over an edge and their feet aren't touching the ground, dangling. While onstage it thinks their feet are touching the ground although Megaman lifts them over his head.

TL;DR sorry chopperdave, although you can grab them before they touch the ground, It still would refresh their DJ since they are "touching the ground" even though they visually aren't, unless you hold them over an edge so "their feet are dangling."
Good to know. I guess it's just the AI being dumb in this instance.

Megaman11

Smash Rookie
I just found a new footstool, to me at least l. And I've been using it online and on lvl 9 computers and it works. Takes a bit a practice but it's not that hard. I'll try and upload videos off my iPhone when I get a good replay going
Edit: will post tomorrow, possibly.

Last edited:

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
I noticed this the other day and wasnt sure if I was well known, so I made a video. Its technically universal tech but would help against the MU a decent amount
zuko, I'm triying to become a better megaman and I think you are by far the most stylish one (I've seen a lot of your matches and you are great!). How do you do the foward throw BAir combo? do you hit the bair at the same time as you jump? or do you wait a little bit? also do you use a full jump or a short hop? and finally, could you share some combos?

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I noticed this the other day and wasnt sure if I was well known, so I made a video. Its technically universal tech but would help against the MU a decent amount
I sure didn't know about that. But I think you can see why. It's risky for both characters. Mega Man probably shouldn't be trying to stick Crash Bombs or produce (not to be mistaken with item tossing) Metal Blades at that range. I'd also imagine that Rosalina wouldn't ever want to use Grav. Pull when someone is that close to her.

juice.Zucco

Smash Cadet
I sure didn't know about that. But I think you can see why. It's risky for both characters. Mega Man probably shouldn't be trying to stick Crash Bombs or produce (not to be mistaken with item tossing) Metal Blades at that range. I'd also imagine that Rosalina wouldn't ever want to use Grav. Pull when someone is that close to her.
Its less about it being practical and more about how upair can now function as a proper juggle too against her. Of course stuff like crash bomb at that range is bad, but it was more of just a proof of concept video.

Last edited:

idothedew

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4768-7503-8347
Mega Man has two wall jumps, but can only be used when the second jump hasn't been executed. Not really sure what you would use it for other than mind games. Here's how you do it:

If you are recovering back to the stage and have not used your second jump, you wall jump > up B > second jump > wall jump

Megaman11

Smash Rookie
Mega Man has two wall jumps, but can only be used when the second jump hasn't been executed. Not really sure what you would use it for other than mind games. Here's how you do it:

If you are recovering back to the stage and have not used your second jump, you wall jump > up B > second jump > wall jump
Nice find. I'll try it out. Like you said, I think it would be good for mind games. Staying a bit longer below the stage.

StoveAteMe

Smash Rookie
NNID
StoveAteMe
Aight so. A few things.

Coming from the demo, Mega Man was the only character that really interested me. HOWEVER, he has a few interesting quirks.

First of all.

Jab / F-tilt / Nair
Alright. These moves are weird, and sadly not too hot as far as moves go. But they do have a few unique properties.

• There is a 'close' hitbox that is closer to Mega Man that does more damage and knockback.
  • Nair auto cancels.
  • Nair and Jab link flawlessly into each other.
  • Pellets are shot in bursts of 3. This is true regardless of how many are still on screen.
  • Pellets eat other small projectiles (Fireball, thunderjolt)
Nair's hitbox is actually kinda good knockback wise. But it's super small. Needs a lot of testing.

Pivot F-tilt
Now, Pivot F-smash is good. But one thing I've really been abusing is actually Mega man's unique F-tilt. Pivot F-tilt allows you to INSTANTLY turn around, fires a jab off, and has you walking forward now. This allows some tricky movement options with him if you're smart about it. The pellet from this also covers any projectiles you may be turning into, and if you condition them with this it can make pivot F-smash MUCH safer.

Metal Blade
This move is easily Mega man's best ranged tool, despite the amount of them he has. You can throw it down and pick it up like an item. However I'm not entirely sold on this all the time. It limits you from using your normal moves, and Mega man's other specials aren't as good. Additionally, you can't angle the throws this way. It is definitely a good option early on, but don't discount the normal B-throw.

Aerials
Fair seems good, but make sure to space it if using it short hopped as even if it hits it can be grabbed at low percents. Works better as a 'combo' move mid air than it does as an approach.

Bair is amazing. Easily one of his best moves. It kills, it does good damage, is fast, multihits, eats projectiles.

Uair is nifty. I've killed people with it but I'm not sure how it works on the receiving end. Doesn't seem to have a close hitbox near mega man but needs more testing.

Dair could use testing as a short hop approach option. You have a lot of horizontal movement while using it. You can easily go behind shields with this. The spike is only active when the fist is separated from mega man. Kinda hard to hit with.
Got any tips for how to perform short hop nair as a retreating tactic? I play on the 3DS, and it's quite tricky to pull off.

Deadlybroth

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rngo1214
3DS FC
3265-5101-5866
Got any tips for how to perform short hop nair as a retreating tactic? I play on the 3DS, and it's quite tricky to pull off.
If you have the default control scheme, then just put your thumb over x, and then slide it over to a while pressing both buttons, and then after the shot is fired you can move backwards. Make sure the circle pad is set to neutral before you fire the shot so a nair comes out.

jimm

Smash Cadet
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but you can plant a crash bomb on someone as they're spawn-invuln, and by the time it explodes they're vulnerable again. People seem to sometimes misjudge whether it can hit them while they're invuln or how whether they'll be able to be hit once it explodes.

Maybe that's not so advanced, actually

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I usually do a perfect pivot-esque flick of the control stick, jump, A, then hold the control stick back.

Flicking the control stick before jumping will give you the backwards momentum you want while resetting the control stick to neutral, allowing you to start a nair barrage before holding the stick to move back.

Megaman11

Smash Rookie
Today in for glory my recovery attack from the ledge spiked my opponent. It was really weird. I had to save the replay just to watch it again. Lol it was funny but I had so many good games with this guy. Also, what's the timing for spiking opponents with Usmash? I remember hearing somewhere it spiked opponents coming from below but I've yet to do it even once.

Last edited:

StoveAteMe

Smash Rookie
NNID
StoveAteMe
I usually do a perfect pivot-esque flick of the control stick, jump, A, then hold the control stick back.

Flicking the control stick before jumping will give you the backwards momentum you want while resetting the control stick to neutral, allowing you to start a nair barrage before holding the stick to move back.
Ooh thanks so much, just gotta get the timing down, but this definitely helped out alot.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Lacking the time to read 21 pages and without knowing a proper way to search for this, I present: The Double Danger Wrap. It's apparently known, but have a picture of the Double Danger Wrap!
Using the Danger Wrap in such a way that the projectile exits as you land on the ground results in two. Knockback doesn't seem to be notably affected, but it definitely hits for extra damage.

And again, apologies if this has been found. In case it hasn't been, some credit is also due to @madworlder and my friend Squidman for helping me test the activation and hit properties.

Last edited:

Megaman11

Smash Rookie
Lacking the time to read 21 pages and without knowing a proper way to search for this, I present: The Double Danger Wrap.
Using the Danger Wrap in such a way that the projectile exits as you land on the ground results in two. Knockback doesn't seem to be notably affected, but it definitely hits for extra damage.

And again, apologies if this has been found. In case it hasn't been, some credit is also due to @madworlder and my friend Squidman for helping me test the activation and hit properties.
Nice. A video would be nice for us visual learners.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Nice. A video would be nice for us visual learners.
Unfortunately I lack the means to record. However, I've got some friends who might be able to help me with that. If anyone else can get it working and make a video, that'd probably be faster, otherwise I'll try as soon as I can.

It's easiest to replicate by walking/running off a ledge, instead of jumping/short hopping, though it's possible with either. Try to time the attack such that the projectile appears just as Megaman is hitting the ground.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Lacking the time to read 21 pages and without knowing a proper way to search for this, I present: The Double Danger Wrap.

This is already known, but definitely something that should be kept in mind imo.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Lacking the time to read 21 pages and without knowing a proper way to search for this, I present: The Double Danger Wrap. It's apparently known, but have a picture of the Double Danger Wrap!

I made a video a long while ago.

ninjaraiii

Smash Rookie
I used megamans up tilt today and somehow air dodged out of it at the peak. So i teched out of the endlag. I don't know how and I've been trying to replicate it but with no success so far. If anyone can figure it out that would be an amazing discovery.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I used megamans up tilt today and somehow air dodged out of it at the peak. So i teched out of the endlag. I don't know how and I've been trying to replicate it but with no success so far. If anyone can figure it out that would be an amazing discovery.
Saved the replay?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

I guess both versions really are that similar. lol

Hardest part looks to be getting the Crash Bomber timing down. Trying it out myself, it seems the hardest part will be getting the timing down, as it's pretty easy to attack too early. IDK will have to see this in action as I don't see it changing much/situational, not that another option isn't good.

ninjaraiii

Smash Rookie
What stage was it? I think if you do it on an incline you'd be able to airdodge right before you hit the ground.
I figured it out, I was fighting game and watch and his down smash creates an air box above him and I uppered at the same time

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Here's an interesting glitch. If someone uses Rush Coil and Megaman spawns another rush coil at the same time. The person teleports with rush.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
I just found a new footstool, to me at least l. And I've been using it online and on lvl 9 computers and it works. Takes a bit a practice but it's not that hard. I'll try and upload videos off my iPhone when I get a good replay going
Edit: will post tomorrow, possibly.
Still waiting on this. I'm interested since I'm pretty sure we found all the guaranteed footstool stuff.
Leafstool
Zdrop Metal Blade > Footstool
Jab > edgeslip > Footstool
The Edgeslip mechanic works as follows: When you slide and slip off an edge as a result of knockback, you go into the edgeslip falling animation, similar to when you go into a Footstool falling animation, you cannot do anything. This vidya explains pretty well

Megaman is special and can walk during Jab and Jab has a large amount of knockback, but does not launch the opponent so you can easily have them slip off an edge with it and get guaranteed follow up.

Jab has alot of end lag, so fast fallers are safe from footstools because, well, they fall fast and you can't chase because Jab is laggy, and if you walk off an edge whilst jabbing, you can't fast fall during the during of the end lag of jab.
We even found an Infinite after learning a 2 successive footstool guarantees Lemon Lock. And mitigates the problem "you can't Footstool Stun your opponent during the Forced Get-up animation." which was the problem with this version
Also you don't run out of stage since its run back and forth.

Last edited:
Top Bottom