• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Light Labs: Mega Man Advance Techniques Discovery Thread

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I appreciate the effort; it's better to share something known than to keep something unknown. If nothing else this reminds/teaches people who didn't know about a strong Dthrow option.

I actually just had a friend link this video to me though after I replied :D

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Surprised it's gotten postexon eventhubs tbh

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
This isn't really an advanced technique, and may be something that people know about, but it's new to me so I'll share it:

If you grab a character out of the air after he uses a double jump, and his feet don't touch the ground, it seems that the character does not get his double jump back. (I tested this with the AI, so it could be just a glitch in their programming, but I doubt it.)

Because Mega Man's grab has such good range and can easily pick up airborne opponents, and because his grapple keeps everyone's feet from touching the ground, this gives him some interesting juggle possibilities.

Theoretically, if you grab someone after they've double jumped, you can chain grab them with uthrow (works best after 30%). You just read their DI and movements, and do a running shield grab or pivot grab wherever they land. At 70% or so you can start throwing in a fast falled uair to further control where they land--if you uair to their left, they either have to move to the right or risk getting roofed.

This is mostly theoretical at this point and I need to test it against humans, but it works surprisingly well vs. AI.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
MegaMan forward aerial to grab

Chain grab is a string, the fair to grab may or may not be guaranteed I need testing done.
Here's a more interesting one, D-throw > Diagonal Up metablade.
If they Airdodge, it's a free grab.
If they Double Jump, it steals their double jump. If you dash under them you may scare them into airdodging again = Another grab. Unless they DI high
If they do nothing, It hits them and sets up for a follow up, but they keep their DJ, so just re-position yourself.

CPU's are dumb, but you'll be surprised how effective it is on humans

Short Hop metal blade if you need to

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Will DI affect this?
quite a bit. They can just DI up and towards you to avoid the Metal Blade completely and double Jump away. Even though if it does miss, it zones them into a nice spot for Uair.

I've been experimenting with danger warp alot.
You can chain Danger warps together at low percents, less than 50%, for ~25%
You may need to Full Hop/DJ to account for increased knockback

At <10% you can Danger Warp > SH Danger Warp > Jump > DJ > Uair for an astounding 41% combo!

It also has potential for 60% if you get lucky and get the double shoot glitch on the 1st Danger Warp

A good set up at <20% is D-throw > Danger Warp. If they airdodge the still get hit. And DJ for some characters isn't fast enough.

at 40% You have to DJ to chain Danger Warps so you can no longer combo follow up with Air shooter, but what you can do is shoot another Danger Warp.
If your opponent is drifting back towards the stage, they'll be in the Danger Warps path. If they attempt to airdodge through it, You can actually Rush Trap them, they bounce back up and hit the Danger Warp and you may secure a nice Roofio kill if they DI wrong (hold towards the stage, this is pretty nasty since they are already holding towards the stage and are not expecting to get to trapped into a Danger Warp)

Some other interesting quirks.
If the opponent is taller, If Danger warp floats and hits their head, there's enough time to Grab them before they fly off.

If the Danger Warp barely misses their head and the opponent is Shielding, It is a frame trap for a grab. They must choose anything other than Shield Drop or Holding their shield out to not get grabbed.

Sometimes because megaman holds characters above his head, You pick them up and the Danger Warp connects, breaking the grab.

They will hold their shield because they don't want to get hit with Danger Warp chains, but by the time they realize it is not gonna connect, it is too late.

Also if you condition your opponent into spot dodging in those situations, you can predict the spotdodge, run through them and Pivot Grab instead. YOMI

Because the Danger Warp missed, it is floating above you. at 100%, you can actually U-throw them into the Danger Warp and get the kill off the top

I've tested most of these on my big brother and he is no slouch. I've gotten handful of Danger Warp>U-throw kills. It nice seeing theory craft actually working for once.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I like your posts lol, nice job.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Danger wrap also seems like it'll be amazing for gimps and edeguarding. You can throw one out over the ledge to deter them from recovering low, or fall from the ledge and use danger wrap to catch them low. Riskier, but you can also fall off the ledge and aim it near the stage while the opponent recovers vertically, so that they have to fight to stay away from the bubble. You can punish their air dodge or even gimp them with a fair while they try to avoid the bubble.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
This isn't really an advanced technique, and may be something that people know about, but it's new to me so I'll share it:

If you grab a character out of the air after he uses a double jump, and his feet don't touch the ground, it seems that the character does not get his double jump back. (I tested this with the AI, so it could be just a glitch in their programming, but I doubt it.)

Because Mega Man's grab has such good range and can easily pick up airborne opponents, and because his grapple keeps everyone's feet from touching the ground, this gives him some interesting juggle possibilities.

Theoretically, if you grab someone after they've double jumped, you can chain grab them with uthrow (works best after 30%). You just read their DI and movements, and do a running shield grab or pivot grab wherever they land. At 70% or so you can start throwing in a fast falled uair to further control where they land--if you uair to their left, they either have to move to the right or risk getting roofed.

This is mostly theoretical at this point and I need to test it against humans, but it works surprisingly well vs. AI.

I tried it in For Glory and it works with high gravity characters like Link, although it slowly increases damage it can make the opponent gain damage from 0 to almost 70

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
Theoretically, if you grab someone after they've double jumped, you can chain grab them with uthrow (works best after 30%). You just read their DI and movements

The interval between when you can grab again after a grab is hecka long though (that anti-chaingrab technology of Sakurai's). Can someone try executing this and report back?
Ignore this the poster above literally just did this

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
It's not actually a "true" chaingrab because your opponent has plenty of options between throws (attack, airdodge, fastfall, etc) and isn't completely trapped. But it's often pretty easy to pick him up again, especially when he can't DJ. The uthrow causes him to "hang" long enough in the air that you can grab him again even if he fastfalls.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
Here's a more interesting one, D-throw > Diagonal Up metablade.
If they Airdodge, it's a free grab.
If they Double Jump, it steals their double jump. If you dash under them you may scare them into airdodging again = Another grab. Unless they DI high
If they do nothing, It hits them and sets up for a follow up, but they keep their DJ, so just re-position yourself.

CPU's are dumb, but you'll be surprised how effective it is on humans

Short Hop metal blade if you need to

I like this. A great new year's present. Thanks.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Not sure if this is an advance technique or a combo but thought I would share. Also not sure if anyone has mentioned this before.

Basically you run towards the opponent using pellets (Ftilt) when you get really close/touching them you short hop and back air them. It is kind of a good KO move cause they aren't expecting it and the lemons hitstun helps protect you from a counter attack

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Not sure if this is an advance technique or a combo but thought I would share. Also not sure if anyone has mentioned this before.

Basically you run towards the opponent using pellets (Ftilt) when you get really close/touching them you short hop and back air them. It is kind of a good KO move cause they aren't expecting it and the lemons hitstun helps protect you from a counter attack
But what if they shield?

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
If they shield they can't grab you because they will be facing the wrong way. If they shield your lemons just grab them :b:

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
For what i see... people talk crap about mega man, when it come's to the top tier's. But really mega man is amazing in smash. i fell in love with him when i got the game on 3ds. Great kill moves, Combos, Air , Grabs and smash attacks!

Megaman11

Smash Rookie
Hello all. Newbie here with a newbie question. All the tech on mega man 3ds disussed here Also works on wiiu?

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Hello all. Newbie here with a newbie question. All the tech on mega man 3ds disussed here Also works on wiiu?
All techs that work in 3ds v1.04 work on WiiU.

Basically, ignore the early thread stuff about Rush Cancelling and phantom lag and you'll be set.

grandra

Smash Rookie
in this video at around 6:30 Ninjalink uses his pellets while holding the metalblade. Does anyone know how he does this? I don't have the wiiu version yet, but my guess is holding a as he picks it up and having his controller settings so his c-stick is attack maybe? is there any other way this would be possible?

edit: nevermind should of checked the forum first a video was already posted.

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
in this video at around 6:30 Ninjalink uses his pellets while holding the metalblade. Does anyone know how he does this? I don't have the wiiu version yet, but my guess is holding a as he picks it up and having his controller settings so his c-stick is attack maybe? is there any other way this would be possible?

edit: nevermind should of checked the forum first a video was already posted.
His cstick his set to smash attacks, as normal.

There's a weird feature in this game where hitting the cstick to the side while crouching causes you to ftilt.

In MM's case this causes him to fire a pellet even when he has a metal blade in hand. Once you fire a pellet this way, you can use the A button to fire the remaining two pellets of MM's "jab" combo, if you want. After that A will once again throw the blade, unless you begin another jab combo with the crouch trick of course.

So what NinjaLink is doing is fastfalling into a crouch, then csticking to start the pellet combo as above.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
I dont know if this combo is old but it is really powerful, Dthrow>fair>upair if done right it can make 30% and it actaully is a combo because the opponent gets trapped and you can even follow up woth another up air. The trick is to do the flame sword while rising then inmediatly do the up air

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I dont know if this combo is old but it is really powerful, Dthrow>fair>upair if done right it can make 30% and it actaully is a combo because the opponent gets trapped and you can even follow up woth another up air. The trick is to do the flame sword while rising then inmediatly do the up air
This only works against some characters with big frames. Otherwise a rising fair will whiff, even at low percents. And it's not a true combo because your opponent does have the ability to jump or attack you between the fair and uair.

It's a really great string when you can pull it off, especially because after the fair a lot of people will either air dodge or send out an attack that gets frame trapped by the uair. But it's good to know the string's limitations.

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
I won't call this a combo but this works with heavy characters.

FThrow > A quick FSmash Does 19%, But if you fully charge the Fsmash its 27%. BUT! if you do a half-Charge Fsmash, it does 23%.

If you do this to a Light character, its very punishable because they will be high in the air.

But this is old, so some people will know this if they main megaman

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
This only works against some characters with big frames. Otherwise a rising fair will whiff, even at low percents. And it's not a true combo because your opponent does have the ability to jump or attack you between the fair and uair.

It's a really great string when you can pull it off, especially because after the fair a lot of people will either air dodge or send out an attack that gets frame trapped by the uair. But it's good to know the string's limitations.
Actually Ive seen it work woth light characters, the rising fair can be airdogded but that will cause them to fall into the uair

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Tornado hold can combo into Bair/Fair/Nair and is a huge projectile. I think a make a quick vid of some dumb stuff with it.
Also we already talked about how Rush Coil is unspikable (when recovering perfectly vertical) since you re-bounce and regain your DJ etc. But Tornado Hold acts the same way and is also unspikable.

By switching to tornado hold you gain pretty good offensive options such as Tornado Hold > Bair, if you are fishing for a Bair kill, or just to cover a LOT of space.
lose Rush Coil camping, and horizontal mobility.

TL;DR Rush Coil is not the end all be all. Tornado Hold is very very good.

Also you can do some silly stuff like Danger Warp > FH Danger Warp > Tornado Hold
it combos and you keep your DJ
And since they are all Special Moves you can also be holding a Metal Blade/Hyper Bomb.

Last edited:

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
Tornado hold can combo into Bair/Fair/Nair and is a huge projectile. I think a make a quick vid of some dumb stuff with it.
Also we already talked about how Rush Coil is unspikable (when recovering perfectly vertical) since you re-bounce and regain your DJ etc. But Tornado Hold acts the same way and is also unspikable.

By switching to tornado hold you gain pretty good offensive options such as Tornado Hold > Bair, if you are fishing for a Bair kill, or just to cover a LOT of space.
lose Rush Coil camping, and horizontal mobility.

TL;DR Rush Coil is not the end all be all. Tornado Hold is very very good.

Also you can do some silly stuff like Danger Warp > FH Danger Warp > Tornado Hold
it combos and you keep your DJ
And since they are all Special Moves you can also be holding a Metal Blade/Hyper Bomb.
Thanks for all of that stuff! :)

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Skull Barrier can be used as a sorta spamable projectile. It is the fastest activating Shield and it travels a good distance. even more so than Ice Slasher.

We know that activating Down Special kills our vertical momentum, I found that tossing the shield kills some vertical momentum as well, but not very much. Still its new info, or rather i think it is.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
His cstick his set to smash attacks, as normal.

There's a weird feature in this game where hitting the cstick to the side while crouching causes you to ftilt.

In MM's case this causes him to fire a pellet even when he has a metal blade in hand. Once you fire a pellet this way, you can use the A button to fire the remaining two pellets of MM's "jab" combo, if you want. After that A will once again throw the blade, unless you begin another jab combo with the crouch trick of course.

So what NinjaLink is doing is fastfalling into a crouch, then csticking to start the pellet combo as above.
Theres 2 ways to do it. I dont use the cstick.

Also HI GUYS lol

Last edited:

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
Any new advance techniques for the crash bomb? The only thing i can do with it, is that i can stick it to a wall.....Does that do anything?

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Any new advance techniques for the crash bomb? The only thing i can do with it, is that i can stick it to a wall.....Does that do anything?
If you get caught on a crash bomb, it'll suck you into the wall and stage spike. here you tech jump off of it.
Don't what kind of situation you'd need to risk stage spiking yourself to regain your recovery move back though.

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
If you get caught on a crash bomb, it'll suck you into the wall and stage spike. here you tech jump off of it.
Don't what kind of situation you'd need to risk stage spiking yourself to regain your recovery move back though.
Ok thanks :)

Megaman11

Smash Rookie
I know jump cancel glide toss MB is very good for megaman but how does one set up for something like that? Also, I was wondering if on shield, it's a frame trap? Can anyone confirm?

Edit: I know how bad MB random amount of throws is and how unreliable it can be. But let's just assume the best when discussing here.

Last edited:

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman

Also HI GUYS lol
Nice Smash Attack 1 win, btw.

In your tutorial video. How do you do the walking f-tilt with the Metal Blade? I'm having trouble hearing what you say. @34 seconds. "Down-forward while crouching?"

Thanks!

Last edited:

Megaman11

Smash Rookie
Nice Smash Attack 1 win, btw.

In your tutorial video. How do you do the walking f-tilt with the Metal Blade? I'm having trouble hearing what you say. @34 seconds. "Down-forward while crouching?"

Thanks!
All you have to do is input F on the Cstick while crouching. Then QUICKLY either switch to the regular way to shoot jabs or keep tapping the c stick. While walking of course

ProudDisciple

Smash Rookie

Also HI GUYS lol
Wow,I just became part of this community recently and have been watching as much Mega Man footage as possible to try and learn from.

I would have never guessed that the footage that Ive been watching the most would've been referenced and that NinjaLink himself would have taken his time out to explain the tech I was most curious about.

Ive been really impressed with the Smash community thus far, great stuff guys!

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
ETA: another nice application: full hop a rising invinciblade into a falling Air Shooter. Seems to be much safer than the similar Flame Blade to Air Shooter approach.

This AT seems to lead to very effective and hard to avoid approachs when executed correctly.
I've read in a lot of topics from you about invinciblade, but.. everytime you go for the z-drop, do you turn around? because if you release the blade, it will fall on your back so how are you suppose to hit the opponent without turning around? could you pls explain how to use the z-zdrop as an attack the best way? is it wat better to cross up or to turn around?

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I've read in a lot of topics from you about invinciblade, but.. everytime you go for the z-drop, do you turn around? because if you release the blade, it will fall on your back so how are you suppose to hit the opponent without turning around? could you pls explain how to use the z-zdrop as an attack the best way? is it wat better to cross up or to turn around?
You can do either. I think facing forward works best as a "oh crap, retreat" option, while reversing and dropping behind you works decently as an approach. You can also face forward and then land behind your opponent after the z-drop with a falling uair, which can work if you fake them out and they antiair too early.

I'm not as excited about Invinciblade as I was a few months ago, as the game has sped up since then and it's not one of MM's fastest approach options. But it still has its uses. It can work decently well for meeting opponents in the air and trading hitboxes without risking getting hit. I like using it against Ness and his PKT2--he travels less far when he runs into a hitbox, you can use the z-dropped MB to gimp his recover while the airdodge protects you.

Top Bottom