• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Light Labs: Mega Man Advance Techniques Discovery Thread

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
This could really help him actually

Also, I've discovered a great kill set up into u-tilt. If you can correctly land it, wavebounced metal blade connects into u-tilt if land in front of them. I actually land it frequently enough and it's a good way to land an early kill

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
This could really help him actually

Also, I've discovered a great kill set up into u-tilt. If you can correctly land it, wavebounced metal blade connects into u-tilt if land in front of them. I actually land it frequently enough and it's a good way to land an early kill
Killing early in this game is very important because of rage. Megaman only has one attack, utilt, that can kill sub 100%, otherwise we must gimp for early kills. It is imperative we can kill early, we are heavy so we live long as long opponents don't get too much rage.

Megaman doesn't rely on early percent combos so rage is is not detrimental on low % opponents.

The more creative ways we can land Utilt, or gimp the stronger Megaman gets.
I also pocket a Mii brawler. He can kill as early as 40-60% with uthrow > Uair > Piston punch (which does combo at ~50% for some unholy reason, though good DI can possibly save the victim) on everyone except dedede. Since the opponents don't build enough rage, you get to high percents, which = more rage= earlier kills. Sometimes i get to as high as 150% and kill at opponents at 30% on battlefield side platforms. Top platform is just pure destruction

If a character is hard to gimp, then we must rely solely on u-tilt for early kills. This may mean we must carefully build our own percent purposefully, so we may end them before they can rage.

U-tilt is not an amazing OoS option, but spotdodge > u-tilt can do the trick when you need it

tl;dr rage guys, it's very important

Last edited:

The7DSins

Smash Rookie
youtube.com/watch?v=IheZJvRkaEg
Mega Man Heavy Smash Recovery Fix.
Soooo, maybe im doing something wrong, but i cant nair until im too far away from rush to jump off. It looks like youre jumping off of rush a second time, but im unsure. Could you possibly clarify the specific inputs for Heavy Smash?

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Its pretty easy once you get used to it. but a more dumb idea is double megaman and infinite flying. luigi ladder is cool but don't work on with friendly fire off, when a character can spawn terrain (rush, it even refreshes double jump) dumb stuff happens. Currently trying it on FG dubs with my bro. It's gonna be epic.

Best thing about it, no need to risk is off stage too you don't get killed by the top blast zone when you rush :laugh:. you can fly off screen and laugh

But then using two megamans to recover isn't practical. I suppose perfect rush coil infinite to the sky can be the ultimate stalling tactic, but because it is easy to set-up, and, once initiated, is completely unbeatable, it could easily be banned

who needs heavy gravity when you have friends.
flying_500.jpg

P1: Up-B > DJ > use P2's Rush > Wait till apex of Rush bounce > Repeat
P2: use P1's Rush > Wait till apex of Rush bounce > Up-B > DJ > Repeat

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
I cant seem to get the fast fall up-b aswell :(
I picked it up very quickly. seemed pretty straight forward.
Up-B > any aerial > fastfall > reuse rush > DJ > repeat.
I tried to do without the aerial but it seems that Rush has IASA frames and interrupting it with an Aerial is necessary to fast fall early enough.
It's pretty lenient too. you can even straight up go for Up-B and not double jump and still gain height.

It's heavy smash only so not like this was too viable anyway.

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
I tried to do without the aerial but it seems that Rush has IASA frames and interrupting it with an Aerial is necessary to fast fall early enough.
It's pretty lenient too. you can even straight up go for Up-B and not double jump and still gain height.

It's heavy smash so not like this was too viable anyway.

though, Team dubs, 2 megamans, Infinite Rush Coil!

But then using two megamans to recover isn't practical. I suppose perfect rush coil infinite to the sky can be the ultimate stalling tactic, but because it is easy to set-up, and, once initiated, is completely unbeatable, it could easily be banned

Scrub here, what do you mean by "it's heavy smash" ?

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Scrub here, what do you mean by "it's heavy smash" ?
This is done in Heavy Smash
You can find heavy smash here
ssb4_menu_special.png
ATM anything in special smash is non-competitive all together. No side events for them. Though Project M turbo mode tournament did happen before so I wouldn't 100% completely count it out.

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
ATM anything in special smash is non-competitive all together. No side events for them. Though Project M turbo mode tournament did happen before so I wouldn't 100% completely count it out.
Maybe Heavy Smash with smooth landing gear on.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
There might be a way to do it without heavy and smooth lander.....
I tried using ceilings to shorten megaman's Up-B height gain and fast falling ASAP and it doesn't work, which was only idea that seemed plausible, but Custom equips make it possible.
The only vanilla way to abuse rush coil I found was friendly fire shenanigans or 2 megamans (I could quickly record a short vid of if if ya want)

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Mega Man still does that flying upwards into a flip animation that can't be cancelled. It doesn't matter if he hits a ceiling.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Mega Man still does that flying upwards into a flip animation that can't be cancelled. It doesn't matter if he hits a ceiling.
The animation isn't the problem, You can only use rush if you are falling. In heavy smash megaman starts to fall half way during teh animation. to fully undertsand what i mean just use rush coil into the ceiling in heavysmash.

Since you start fallling during the flip animation, flip animation is then canceled by touching rush.

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Megaman's Rush coil is refreshed when he is footstooled as with most recoveries. If you play team doubles It'd be possible to infinitely stall with using a single megaman + any character Can't footstool teammates even with friendly fire, how peculiar
  • Consecutive footstools get shorter and shorter until you can't footstool anymore, but if you time your rush coil, and teammate uses it, it refreshes their jumps including footstools.
    The execution doesn't require much precision,
    your teammate mashes Jump
    You spam Rush Coil until your teammates Footstools start dying out and then you do one precise Rush to refresh your teammates Jumps
    Doesn't even require much coordination since it only requires that the megaman can time the Rush Coil, nothing technical on your teammates part.
  • Footstools are a way to refresh megaman's Rush Coil without taking knockback, thus you can Rush Coil without getting killed by the top blast zone becoming, UNTOUCHABLE. Completely off screen, your oppoenents can't do anything but hope you mess up
  • Megaman does not need to go into the Footstool tumble animation to refresh his Rush Coil, have your teammate footstool you during megaman's flip animation and still refresh the RushCoil
Though if you stall for too long I supposed you'd get disqualified, it is pretty much the equivalent of melee luigi ladder except more character freedom as you aren't restricted to two of the same chracter

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Megaman's Rush coil is refreshed when he is footstooled as with most recoveries. If you play team doubles It'd be possible to infinitely stall with using a single megaman + any character
  • Consecutive footstools get shorter and shorter until you can't footstool anymore, but if you time your rush coil, and teammate uses it, it refreshes their jumps including footstools.
    The execution doesn't require much precision,
    your teammate mashes Jump
    You spam Rush Coil until your teammates Footstools start dying out and then you do one precise Rush to refresh your teammates Jumps
    Doesn't even require much coordination since it only requires that the megaman can time the Rush Coil, nothing technical on your teammates part.
  • Footstools are a way to refresh megaman's Rush Coil without taking knockback, thus you can Rush Coil without getting killed by the top blast zone becoming, UNTOUCHABLE. Completely off screen, your oppoenents can't do anything but hope you mess up
  • Megaman does not need to go into the Footstool tumble animation to refresh his Rush Coil, have your teammate footstool you during megaman's flip animation and still refresh the RushCoil
Though if you stall for too long I supposed you'd get disqualified, it is pretty much the equivalent of melee luigi ladder except more character freedom as you aren't restricted to two of the same chracter
Problem is you can't footstool your teamate in this game.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I've found a revolutionary way to space with Mega Man.
However, Imma be a bit ghey and experiment with it some more before I let you guys know what I'm talking about.
Let the Z1g-hate begin! :awesome:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Problem is you can't footstool your teamate in this game.
Team attack on like in tourneys, yes you can. Z1GMA is right
team attack off, theres another method but requires 2 megaman and precise timing from both players

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero

It's heavy smash only so not like this was too viable anyway.
So it doesn't in a normal match? :/

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Talking about killing early:

Talking about killing early: How do we feel about perfect pivoting for our main man, Mega Man? His jabs can already be moved with via Ftilts and they have range already, and his Dtilt also already has movement... So I'm thinking his best perfect pivot (PP?) tilt is a Utilt?

PP>Utilt could be a nasty little spacing option!

Another solid Utilt set up could be:
LS>Double Dash Foxtrot>LS ends>Utilt
Requires solid timing, but the LS can help protect you as you approach for the Utilt!

Last edited:

Zori

Smash Champion
Perfect Pivot grab also amazing! you literally just press z right after and megaman will dash grab

XIIHangman

Smash Cadet
NNID
XIIHangman
3DS FC
0748-1692-2379
As far as perfect pivoting uses for Mega go, I've had a good amount of success with fsmash, utilt, and dsmash but the spacing is really exact for dmash. Another use i've found is it makes Leaf Shield a bit more viable defensively because of the controlled space. It's not kill worthy but it gives Mega more defensive options against other projectile users and can allow for more mix up potential.

Me personally, I don't think PPing adds much to his neutral game unless you're fighting another Mega. In which case, it can mess with their heads by having two different neutral styles but that's mostly reliant from player to player. It complicates tools that Mega is already fortunate to have (lemons and their offensive/defensive capabilities).

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
I thought we already discussed this, even the shield stun/combo part. The RNG of the metal blade is the limiting factor, a big one too. Though it'd be nice to get some statistics on the Metal Blade to see how consistent it lasts, or maybe even learn to manipulate the RNG like pikmin pluck in brawl.

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I thought we already discussed this, even the shield stun/combo part. The RNG of the metal blade is the limiting factor, a big one too. Though it'd be nice to get some statistics on the Metal Blade to see how consistent it lasts, or maybe even learn to manipulate the RNG like pikmin pluck in brawl.
Yeah, this is old news. I think the handiest thing about this is that it gives you a hit confirm that you can use to string into a usmash KO. The jab lock thing he pointed out is also a nice potential effect.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Yeah, this is old news. I think the handiest thing about this is that it gives you a hit confirm that you can use to string into a usmash KO. The jab lock thing he pointed out is also a nice potential effect.
Can we use it to hit a quick down smash ?

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Can we use it to hit a quick down smash ?
Not really. If the MB hits, it knocks them back, so you have to chase with a running usmash. I don't think perfect pivot dsmash is quick enough to catch them, though I can test later to be sure.

If they shield or dodge the MB, they'll be able to grab or jump cancel aerial your before your dsmash comes out. If you somehow manage to get the dsmash out and they shield it (which they probably will if they shielded your MB), then you'll get punished because IIRC dsmash does not shield poke and has nasty end lag.

I think the only time dsmash is useful here is if you glide toss a MB forward and predict that they will dodge it by rolling toward you. So it's a pretty situational hard read, as dsmash often is.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Not really. If the MB hits, it knocks them back, so you have to chase with a running usmash. I don't think perfect pivot dsmash is quick enough to catch them, though I can test later to be sure.

If they shield or dodge the MB, they'll be able to grab or jump cancel aerial your before your dsmash comes out. If you somehow manage to get the dsmash out and they shield it (which they probably will if they shielded your MB), then you'll get punished because IIRC dsmash does not shield poke and has nasty end lag.

I think the only time dsmash is useful here is if you glide toss a MB forward and predict that they will dodge it by rolling toward you. So it's a pretty situational hard read, as dsmash often is.
Ah dang it. Well, guess running usmash it is then.

Still looking for a way to actually hit the dsmash outside of a hard read(at least for me, the only time i can actually use it is after latching a crash bomb at the opponent, since if i miss or they block or whatever, the explosion usually covers me ). It would really help since it kills earlier than usmash if it hits.

Last edited:

Ramzy

ROCKMAN
I'm really liking the MB glide toss setups, but honestly I don't think I'll be putting much practice into it mainly because the random vanishes makes it not too reliable. On the other hand, if PP works well with Mega Man then I'll be grinding that.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Ah dang it. Well, guess running usmash it is then.

Still looking for a way to actually hit the dsmash outside of a hard read(at least for me, the only time i can actually use it is after latching a crash bomb at the opponent, since if i miss or they block or whatever, the explosion usually covers me ). It would really help since it kills earlier than usmash if it hits.
If you find a guaranteed combo into Flame Blast, Mega Man is going to rocket up to at least A rank.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
If you find a guaranteed combo into Flame Blast, Mega Man is going to rocket up to at least A rank.
We already found stuff that combos into a Lemon Lock which allows for any follow up because of the forced neutral get-up, but it requires quite a bit of dexterity.

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Just saw that we are discussing Shadow blade on another thread, so will put my previous comment there.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
MegaMan forward aerial to grab

Chain grab is a string, the fair to grab may or may not be guaranteed I need testing done.
This is not new nor is it guaranteed. You can actually air dodge or use a fast Nair before either of those. It's easier to get an aerial before the second one.

That said, this IS a very strong option. Personally I prefer to do Dthrow>Fair>move backwards and throw a MB forward, then hit confirm into another grab. If they air dodge the Fair, then just throw the MB behind you while you reposition yourself (Or B reverse it to get back in grab range behind the opponent).

If you see them air dodge, then prepare the Usmash next time you grab.

Once they hit 30-40% Dthrow>Uair becomes a really strong option. If they airdodge that you can fast fall to grab them and punish their landing.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I always share jst in case, I was aware it wasn't guaranteed.

Top Bottom