• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Light Labs: Mega Man Advance Techniques Discovery Thread

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I've got an important tech for Metal Blade (and other items) that many of us have probably used without thinking but I think deserves to be written down.

I call it the Metal Blade QuickDraw.

Basically, the important thing to note here is that an airborne item pick up is instant whereas the ground pick up has a short animation.

Therefore, if you throw a MB down from standing position, you can short hop or full hop while pressing the Z button (or L on 3DS) to instantly pick up the MB. This is quicker than simply picking it up with a standing A, and as a bonus you can move forward or backwards while doing it using Mega Man's aerial control.

If you press Z or L again (or A), you can throw the MB almost immediately after the MB QuickDraw, and the IASA frame on the aerial throw appears to be quicker than the grounded throw as well. Thus a MB QuickDraw is both the quickest way to pick up and throw a grounded MB, and allows for nice follow up opportunities like grab and running usmash.

A variation on this tech is the Attacking QuickDraw. Throw a MB down into the ground in front of you, then jump and immediately press A to do a rising nair, dair, or fair while picking up the MB. This allows you to do any number of MB follow ups after you finish that aerial. This is handy because I believe the Z-dropped MB is our quickest attack frame-wise, and a midair tossed MB seems to run a close second.

You can also do an Attacking QuickDraw using a bair. This requires you to toss the MB down, then boost forward into a RAR bair. The timing is tricky but it's definitely doable.

FYI, this can also be done with a MB or any other item anywhere on the stage from a dash. The timing is tight, though, so I recommend first practicing with a MB tossed down directly in front of you.

Last edited:

Ramzy

ROCKMAN
I've got an important tech for Metal Blade (and other items) that many of us have probably used without thinking but I think deserves to be written down.

I call it the Metal Blade QuickDraw.

Basically, the important thing to note here is that an airborne item pick up is instant whereas the ground pick up has a short animation.

Therefore, if you throw a MB down from standing position, you can short hop or full hop while pressing the Z button (or L on 3DS) to instantly pick up the MB. This is quicker than simply picking it up with a standing A, and as a bonus you can move forward or backwards while doing it using Mega Man's aerial control.

If you press Z or L again (or A), you can throw the MB almost immediately after the MB QuickDraw, and the IASA frame on the aerial throw appears to be quicker than the grounded throw as well. Thus a MB QuickDraw is both the quickest way to pick up and throw a grounded MB, and allows for nice follow up opportunities like grab and running usmash.

A variation on this tech is the Attacking QuickDraw. Throw a MB down into the ground in front of you, then jump and immediately press A to do a rising nair, dair, or fair while picking up the MB. This allows you to do any number of MB follow ups after you finish that aerial. This is handy because I believe the Z-dropped MB is our quickest attack frame-wise, and a midair tossed MB seems to run a close second.

You can also do an Attacking QuickDraw using a bair. This requires you to toss the MB down, then boost forward into a RAR bair. The timing is tricky but it's definitely doable.

FYI, this can also be done with a MB or any other item anywhere on the stage from a dash. The timing is tight, though, so I recommend first practicing with a MB tossed down directly in front of you.
This is pretty cool. To be honest it's not a game changer but if you want a little extra % and are willing to drop blade > hop > instant pickup > throw instead of just jump > b then there's reward for work

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
I haven't Found anyone who talked about it here. Although its more relevant to Characters with a stronger Fair than their Bair, Here it is:
Wall Jump from ledge.

The execution: Tilt away from ledge > Smash towards the ledge
  • The tilt has you fall off and buffer a wall jump
  • Tap and hold towards the stage to be close enough to the ledge for the buffered Wall Jump to kick in
This allows you to use Fair to edgeguard instead. Albeit Bair is the stronger option, using Wall JUMP allows you to keep your double jump. Instead of Ledge Drop > Double Jump > Bair, you may go in DEEP with Ledge Drop > Wall Jump > Fair > Double Jump >Fair/Nair.

(edit) Also Its relatively easy to do consistently. It's easier than a turn-around B, a bit Harder than B-reverse B

Last edited:

an1bal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anibalt
3DS FC
0018-2664-8234
Wow! You guys are gonna love this!!
I've tested the Utilt-thing I found with a friend now, and it is indeed garantueed. Actually, it's pretty sick!
How to do it:
When you are at the right hight in the air and the opponent is under you (about a fulljump), throw a MB down.
If it hits the opponent, a buffered Utilt is GARANTUEED afterwards.
This even works when throwing the MB diagonally down, in cases where they're not right under you.
Just make sure you move MM to where the opponent is standing while airbourne.
Same thing - MB hit > BOOM!
The best thing is that this isn't something you can only do at a specific % -- it works just as good on 50% as 150%!
The optimal % to use it, though, is when Utilt starts killing.

Note that it doesn't work with picked up MBs, since they knock the opponent away.
I also want to say that I don't find it too situational, as you can pull this off in a variety of scenarios:
Defensivley, Offensivley, OoS, etc...
However, if the MB doesn't hit, don't Utilt. If they shield or dodge it, act accordingly.

Name-suggestions are very welcomed.

:bluejump: / Z1G
In case people have missed this since its a few pages back, you really should try to mix this in the game. Ive been having decent success with this, specially when you get a read on your opponent. Ive been using a lot after they recover from the ledge.

I finally saved a vid of me doing it in for glory in case you want to see it in action

ソチャラ「Sóchara 」

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AllahuAkbar
3DS FC
0061-0828-3959
I had a friend complain to me today that he's been having problems edge-gaurding enemy's who come in low. Here's that "edge claw low" I mentioned in my combo and setup thread. You can bair right off the edge. I've beaten people clearly better than me because they don't expect it.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
I forgot to mention you can also Bair off a Ledge Wall Jump instead of
Ledge Drop Low > Double Jump > Wall Jump > Bair to attack near the Ledge
Ledge Drop > Wall Jump > Bair so the opponent s have less time to react
This just Gives megaman more ledge options

Jackaraia

Smash Cadet
Got two vines for you guys. First clip is the ending part of Crash Slashing. Earlier I mentioned that if you can get your opponent to unshield by stealing crashbomb back, and facing the same direction while standing next to them, you will be the first one who is able to act out of it, and you can use Bair to launch em. This is just a vine showing you where you need to input BAir.
(WARNING HEADPHONE USERS)
Also the upside to doing this if you and your opponent have similar percentages, is that most of the time, all three slashes for Bair will hit.

Also, someone mentioned earlier (on page 12 I think) about canceling the hard Knuckle Lag with a Bair and I actually had captured it in a replay a while ago and didn't realize it, so you guys can also see the timing on that as well
I think you might have a slight faster window to get the Bair out, it would need more testing.

Last edited:

Ramzy

ROCKMAN
The Crash Slashing seems really good. Can you show how you usually set it up in Training?

Jackaraia

Smash Cadet
The Crash Slashing seems really good. Can you show how you usually set it up in Training?

That's the basic set-up. And the best part is, if they don't unshield or attack you, the crash bomb usually will either hurt them since they are close to you, or blast you away from them. It's definitely a risky choice, but I've gotten a lot of kills using this alone.

Ramzy

ROCKMAN
I've actually been messing around with it and actually a good practical way to pull this off in a match is to CB your opponent when you both are within about 20% of eachother(but your opponent must be the one with higher damage) and then grab them you will immediately receive the CB (if it doesn't pummel once) and it will soon detonate sending both of you flying, mimicking what you demonstrated. The grab helps assure it with since the CB will blow up while the opponent is unable to move in the grab, of course.

It's a little strange though; I haven't tried it with many characters but sometimes when holding the opponent the CB will transfer back and forth til it blows even if I'm not pummeling. So there's a lot to look into.

Last edited:

Jackaraia

Smash Cadet
It's a little strange though; I haven't tried it with many characters but sometimes when holding the opponent the CB will transfer back and forth til it blows even if I'm not pummeling. So there's a lot to look into.
I believe that CB transfers back and forth at a fixed rate until detonation as long as two players are connected. I think this is probably to cause a little confusion as to who it will transfer too in like 4 player smash games.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
I dunno if this is a combo but.. just after you do a dash attack quickly dtilt and you will get just infront of your opponent and then you can grab or dtilt and then bair

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Megaman Generally loses Camp wars. Heres an approach that works pretty well due to the new patch. I shall call it Burst Spam. or you can use this to effectively Counter-Camp if you can successfully stave off their game and set up then release the Burst Spam, retreat and repeat
You need a Metal Blade in hand and Leaf Shield activated.

Short hop > Throw Leaf Shield > JCT MB > Lemons

• You can send out many projectiles very fast due to Leaf Shield having significantly less recovery time in the new patch.
  • You should have time to set up if your opponent is camping hard and not Zoning strongly.
  • Leaf Shield is big, Travels far, and eats up Projectiles and clears the way. also you travel as you are airborne. This is really the most important part. Leaf Shield is THE best way to approach through Projectile Spam.
  • A Metal blade in hand comes out fast and has very little recovery and travels a good distance. And if you JCT it you slide a bit farther.
  • And to finish off the Burst Spam, Lemons. You should have closed the distance at this point. an alternative could be Fsmash
  • Crash Bomb is not very advisable since it's not considerable fast and has very low priority.

Last edited:

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
I've been messing around with dash > short hop > Uair some more and it seems like it has a lot of potential. I have a short vid that shows it in practice against a low CPU (for time purposes) I can't post a link yet (under 10 posts, I'm new) but I'll share as soon as I can so I can get some feedback.

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
Post #8 (were almost there) - Uairs properties seem to be changed slightly. I think it's been confirmed to do less knockback. This may seem negative at first but the fact that it holds opponents in place more now can be seen as a slight buff as it allows for more follow up options.

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
Post #9 does anyone know if Uair does less damage? Its one of the things I've failed to check. PS sorry for all the minor posts, I'm trying to get to 10 posts quickly so I can post my concept vid. Thanks for your patience :)

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Post #9 does anyone know if Uair does less damage? Its one of the things I've failed to check. PS sorry for all the minor posts, I'm trying to get to 10 posts quickly so I can post my concept vid. Thanks for your patience :)
From what i can tell it still does a solid 15-20%, but the timing to get Uair → Double Jump→ Uair to register as a combo in training is still humanly impossible to get consistent

Last edited:

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
Ok think I'm at 10 posts, here goes:

Just been messing around with dash short hop Uair and follow ups (Fair & Bair). Here's a little vid to let you know what I mean;

http://youtu.be/fDXBHfZMxxQ

How useful do you think this could be:

a) as a punish for moves with recovery lag AND

b) as an "anti air"

(I tested it on a low CPU for time purposes)

Thoughts please :)

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Ok think I'm at 10 posts, here goes:

Just been messing around with dash short hop Uair and follow ups (Fair & Bair). Here's a little vid to let you know what I mean;

http://youtu.be/fDXBHfZMxxQ

How useful do you think this could be:

a) as a punish for moves with recovery lag AND

b) as an "anti air"

(I tested it on a low CPU for time purposes)

Thoughts please :)
I use it as a strong Follow off a Lemon Lock and For Zoning while edge guarding.
If the opponent Attempts to recover high I throw a MB diagonal upwards to get them to drop lower, but if they continue on I throw out an Uair to control space.

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
I use it as a strong Follow off a Lemon Lock and For Zoning while edge guarding.
If the opponent Attempts to recover high I throw a MB diagonal upwards to get them to drop lower, but if they continue on I throw out an Uair to control space.
Nice applications, I'll definitely be trying some of these. BTW, is it just me or does short hop Uair have less recovery lag than before?

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Nice applications, I'll definitely be trying some of these. BTW, is it just me or does short hop Uair have less recovery lag than before?
no its about the same landing lag of 19 frames. though i heard a rumor Fair has less lag but i think its false

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
So here's one that I haven't seen mentioned, and mostly requires the opponent being dumb to set up, but I like it anyway...

You can force an opponent to jump on a standing Rush with Metal Blade... essentially, you leave Rush on the ground and throw the MB (during the jump or after landing, etc). If the MB hits the opponent when they are standing/running near Rush, they get popped up, which is a GREAT situation for us.

Probably won't work more than once in a set, but it's a hilarious setup into an advantage position for us.

Jackaraia

Smash Cadet
I've been messing around with dash > short hop > Uair some more and it seems like it has a lot of potential. I have a short vid that shows it in practice against a low CPU (for time purposes) I can't post a link yet (under 10 posts, I'm new) but I'll share as soon as I can so I can get some feedback.
You can let the Tornado go even lower and end standing on the ground without having to fast fall, giving you more options and time to set up another move. (And refreshing jumps).

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
You can let the Tornado go even lower and end standing on the ground without having to fast fall, giving you more options and time to set up another move. (And refreshing jumps).

DAY-YUM this is awesome, cant wait to get in the lab and try this. Thanks for sharing. BTW Is the timing strict?

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
DAY-YUM this is awesome, cant wait to get in the lab and try this. Thanks for sharing. BTW Is the timing strict?
No not really, the timing is pretty lenient. if you are having issues timing it heres some set-ups
Short Hop then at the apex of jump, Uair
Full Hop > buffered Fair > buffered Uair
The Nado Comes out very very low you should be able to hit even crouching jigglypuff

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
After playing for a while i feel I rarely use Usmash and Dsmash and usually opt for Utilt instead. The only Instance I ever use Usmash is to punish ledge regrabs because it stage spikes opponents. How do you utilize Usmash or Dsmash?

Last edited:

Flamecircle

Smash Apprentice
Usmash is painfully long, but that's a good thing for catching airdodges into the ground. Dsmash is for hard reads only, I think. A shame that those flame pillars are lies and don't do anything.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Dsmash isn't even that great for hard reads. It comes out so slowly that against a lot of characters, they can actually roll next to you and jab or dsmash you themselves before the flame hitboxes come out. When I get into roll-a-thons, my go-to hard read option is usmash just because it just comes out more quickly.

I basically only use dsmash for the surprise value now. It can be a decent follow up to a glide tossed MB. It can also be handy for catching falling/tumbling opponents who you expect might try to fool you by fast falling behind you so that you whiff your usmash or utilt. Other than that, it's just too slow both on startup and cooldown to be worth it.

Last edited:

Crescent_Sun

Smash Apprentice
Down smash is best used on things like resting Jigglypuffs. If you really need an early kill, you can try and set up for one, and it can workout but be careful that there isn't a better option for you like Up Tilt or just playing it safe for a while.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Nothing particularly new, but here's a nice way to edgeguard if you know your opponent is looking to Sweet Spot the ledge instead of recovering high. Stand at the very edge of the stage. Shield any attacks. When your opponent Grabs the ledge, Insta-Ledge grab to Trump him and Bair.
Ledge Trump is not situational, its a solid Offensive option. I guess this can be compared to Older Smash games Ledge Hogging. This is only a true combo if you Trump them fast enough.
If you are umfamiliar with Quickly grabbing the ledge its something like this:
  1. ↘ or ↴, to Fall Off and fast fall
  2. ←, to Drift towards the stage to Grab the Ledge
An example of a character the this can pwn is Mario. At a certain percent, A Trump > Bair will send him far enough where he MUST Sweet Spot the ledge to recover. and you can either continue to Trump > Bair until death or go in get the KO

I don't think Trumping has been fully understood yet, so its not explicitly clear whether or not if this guaranteed if timed right or if its 100% avoidable

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Though using Uair low isn't anything particularly new, I didn't really think of combos out of it since it seemed impossible, but seeing this got me to experiment more. Here's what I found:
  • Depending on combination of Fall Speed and Weight, you can get a guaranteed Uair which is a Solid 40% combo! (potentially less if they risk an airdodge or Double Jump to avoid the rest of the damage of the 2nd Uair)
  • If their fall speed is even greater (Greninja), a Guaranteed Bair.
  • Uair seems to have set Hitstun, I.E. percent doesn't affect this
  • Uair's wind box knockback scales with percent, I.E. if an victim Jumps whilst in Uair, they may not die at 30%, but at 100%
  • Uair's knockback is only noticeable if the victim jumps, I.E. a victim can never get KO'ed if they don't jump
If only there was a Fall Speed list in the smash academy, testing characters susceptible to guaranteed Uair combos would be so more efficient.
I think I pretty much solve the riddle that is Air Shooter. Whether or not it kills is based off of percent, weight, Fall Speed, Double Jump Strength and has nothing to do with landing the initial part that has hitstun. In contrast a regular move is just based off of Percent and Weight.

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Pivot smashing is so much easier with a C-stick. I've really only sparingly used F-smash. on wii-u its gonna see more action.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
More stuff thats more practical because of C-stick
When characters are moving airborne then land they slide with the Momentum of their airspeed
Also when they stop walking, they slide from the Momentum of the walk. Also if you cancel Dash you can get a slide from the momentum of dash.
I might Dub this Natural Slide (NS) because I don't Believe smash community really have a term for characters ability to slide naturally (correct me if I'm wrong). People have used Characters Natural Slide to (L)edge cancel and extend the reach of their moves that conserve momentum. We are using the latter.
Jab conserves your momentum from your Natural Slide I.E. you can slide While you Jab.
At first it may seems negligible, but lies hidden potential.
  • Jab does +1% than F-tilt and has more knockback
  • You can walk in between Jabs
  • Jab whilst sliding from the momentum of the walk
  • down C-stick to Jab easily without losing momentum
This allows you to optimize the damage Of a Lemon Combo and it's very easy to do through C-stick.
Instead of F-tilt > Ftilt > Ftilt/Nair (6-8%)
You may:
F-tilt/NS Jab > NS Jab > NS Jab/Nair (8-10%)
Also since Jab Has more KnockBack you drag the Opponent a farther across the Stage giving you stage control
And because Jab has more knockback, it's safer to end a Lemon Combo with Jab than F-tilt

Yes, Nair can potentially hit all characters regardless of height
I recommend assigning one of your Triggers or Bumper buttons to Jump. With Both thumbs occupied with Sticks its the only easy way to
Nair

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I'm not sure I follow. How do you "Natural Slide" into a jab, and why is the c-stick necessary?

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure I follow. How do you "Natural Slide" into a jab, and why is the c-stick necessary?
You'll Naturally Slide from:
  • Walk > Jab
  • Drift > Land > Jab
The new C-stick now kills your Movement stick, allowing you Jab with Down C-stick.
You can walk During Lemons

Holding your movement Stick Forward is important because having max acceleration is important to gaining enough Momentum for a good Natural Slide

Down C-stick Kills your Movement Stick allowing you to Jab while Holding Forward on the movement stick

Since you were walking you Naturally Slide during Jab.

This is very very easy to do. It's easier than executing a Nair at the end. This will definitely see usage if C-stick isn't changed because of peoples complaints.

Getting Max damage with Lemons is incredibly easy with C-stick, And virtually impossible otherwise. Very polar change from just a simple addition in controls.

Note: you can't do the first
Jab with C-stick

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Ways to get a Natural Slide, Natural Slide refers to slides from Walk and Drift
  • Walk Cancel (Pretty much anything)
  • Drift Cancel (by landing)

Some of megamans Moves that conserve your momentum
  • Jab
  • Grab
  • All Specials except Up
  • Usmash
  • Dsmash
  • Landing Lag of anything
  • Down and up taunt
  • Shield
  • Item Toss
  • Crouch
  • Sadly, not spot dodge
The only Real applications Of Megaman's Natural Slide are:
  • modifying the range of the Above attacks
  • Tomahawking
  • Edge Cancel Airdodge
  • Spacing with Aerials and specials, Notable Nair and specials
  • Slide off edges with Specials
Other physics mechanics that result in slides.
  • Dash Cancel (Jump, Dash Attack, Pivot, Pivot Grab)
  • Dash Attack Cancel (Grab, Usmash R.I.P. dacus)
  • Run Cancel (Jump, Dash Attack, Pivot, Pivot Grab, Specials, Shield)
  • Jump Cancel (Item Toss, Usmash)

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Lel. Jab is a sakurai angle and can trip at 200%
Jab > Trip True combos at 200%. Lel

Last edited:
Top Bottom