• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Light Labs: Mega Man Advance Techniques Discovery Thread

V_x_I_D

Smash Apprentice
NNID
V_x_I_D
"POSSIBLE upgrade in internet servers"
SAKURAIIII!!!

Jackaraia

Smash Cadet
Alright guys. I got a short vine showing Ground Tornado in action. (Warning to all headphone users audio is a little tin sounding)

vine (dot) co/v/OM9Q7Hlpg35
[Sorry, I didn't realize there was a ten post minimum before you could post links]

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Alright guys. I got a short vine showing Ground Tornado in action. (Warning to all headphone users audio is a little tin sounding)

vine (dot) co/v/OM9Q7Hlpg35
[Sorry, I didn't realize there was a ten post minimum before you could post links]
Heh, I'd found that a few days ago and didn't get around to sharing it.

I love it after a Dthrow>Fair near the ledge. Also good on stages with platforms.

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
Having trouble trying to combo with a Down throw, FAir and then UAir for ground tornado
Not sure whether it only works on certain characters ,damage meters or whether I should fast fall or double jump after flame sword >.O

Jackaraia

Smash Cadet
Having trouble trying to combo with a Down throw, FAir and then UAir for ground tornado
Not sure whether it only works on certain characters ,damage meters or whether I should fast fall or double jump after flame sword >.O
I would say avoid fast falling in that situation. I think to combo it out completely, you need to get Fair out as soon as possible. But Fromundaman said that he does it near the ledge, which means, he might be throwing Tornado out once off the platform. I'll try it out and see if I can figure out the timing on that one. (Ground Tornado doesn't work on certain characerts that are tiny. Toon Link is too small to be picked up, or at least, not 100 percent of the time.)

Deadlybroth

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rngo1214
3DS FC
3265-5101-5866
Not sure if this was mentioned or not, but when I was playing around in training mode against Shulk, I did a slide right next to him , and it did no damage. I did a little bit of testing for a while and couldn't get it to consistently happen, so I switched the Shulk out for a Pikachu and it couldn't get it to happen again. I switched back to Shulk and it happened a few more times. Every time it happened the shadows of both characters were touching. This needs further testing, but I think it might have to do with the height of the characters or the hitbox on their legs. This probably doesn't mean anything, since you have to be right next to them for it to happen, though.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Tornado isn't a true combo, just a very strong option since you can run-off Fair if they let themselves fall and if they try to come back towards the ledge they get caught in the tornado. You can react to whatever they do out of this situation at low %s and punish it.

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
He threw the metal blade diagonally so it hit Mario and got stuck in the ground . He then used his dash attack to pick it up then dropped it on on Mario's head as he was returning to the stage. :o

For a second I thought it would be possible to catch the blade right after it hit someone xD

Doval

Smash Lord
pellet pellet short hop upair is the future o_o
Sadly as soon as the opponent catches on they'll hit you. Buster shots don't combo with themselves except when you start at point blank and move towards the opponent as you shoot. It's impossible to get an Air Shooter out in time.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Sadly as soon as the opponent catches on they'll hit you. Buster shots don't combo with themselves except when you start at point blank and move towards the opponent as you shoot. It's impossible to get an Air Shooter out in time.
I think he meant just to control space, not to combo.

Zori

Smash Champion
Yeah you definatly don't use it over and over again, you can pepper them with pellets then use it when the shield is slightly low, then enjoy the 21 percent

an1bal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anibalt
3DS FC
0018-2664-8234
So I think I found a setup for utilt and other moves, including grabs. I dont think its game changing cause its hard to time but its nice to know all the possibilities. All you do is jump over opponent and Z drop a metal blade. If done correctly, the enemy will be launched in front of you where your ice cold iron fist will gladly greet them. At higher percentages it can go into uncharged fsmash, and im sure lots of other moves. I tested it with a bunch of characters and it worked on all, of course with Rosalina I kept sweetspotting luma instead. Grab is the safest option of course.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Zori

Smash Champion
Nice find! after testing it myself I notice it was not as consistent as I wanted it to be. As you noted it vary's with percents so we have to be aware of that but it does lead to some follow ups

an1bal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anibalt
3DS FC
0018-2664-8234
Nice find! after testing it myself I notice it was not as consistent as I wanted it to be. As you noted it vary's with percents so we have to be aware of that but it does lead to some follow ups
I think the consistency depends on where you drop the mb. It has to hit the opponent on the further half of their body, it will always send them in your direction if you hit them there!

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
If C-sticking diagonally still results in a Jab/Nair, our Pellet Spacing is going to hit the roof come WiiU.
10:GCCDL:

I've never been a fan of C-Jabbing and C-Nairing, but for Mega Man, it might just end up beeing the difference between good spacing and REALLY good spacing.

Last edited:

Zori

Smash Champion
Ohhhhh good point, short hop double pellet is already going to tilt a lot of mu in our favor but if cstick is possible.... Well gg

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
If C-sticking diagonally still results in a Jab/Nair, our Pellet Spacing is going to hit the roof come WiiU.
10:GCCDL:

I've never been a fan of C-Jabbing and C-Nairing, but for Mega Man, it might just end up beeing the difference between good spacing and REALLY good spacing.
Can you elaborate for a newbie. How does that change our current status? What exactly will nairing with cstick add that we can't do with A?

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Can you elaborate for a newbie. How does that change our current status? What exactly will nairing with cstick add that we can't do with A?
essentially it completely removes the tie between nairing and the joystick... so we can initiate the nair while drifting backwards and forwards, for example.

So the input turns from:
Jump backward > let off control stick > A > resume control stick

to:
Jump backward > Nair with C stick

While the change is fairly small, the 2nd one does give more mobility options while still nairing, so theoretically, we are setting our spacing without worrying about having to let off to Nair.

Last edited:

Doval

Smash Lord
essentially it completely removes the tie between nairing and the joystick... so we can initiate the nair while drifting backwards and forwards, for example.

So the input turns from:

to:

While the change is fairly small, the 2nd one does give more mobility options while still nairing, so theoretically, we are setting our spacing without worrying about having to let off to Nair.
It's particularly noteworthy on characters with high air mobility (which is true of Mega Man). Characters that can change directions in mid-air quickly also decelerate to a halt quickly when you let go of the stick.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
It's particularly noteworthy on characters with high air mobility (which is true of Mega Man). Characters that can change directions in mid-air quickly also decelerate to a halt quickly when you let go of the stick.
Mmhmm. I may be understating it a bit (we have yet to see if it's possible or how much impact there will be from it), but honestly, I'm just excited to see what we can do one we're playing with a good control stick.

I've done ok on the 3DS, but it's definitely not hard to believe that every input will be at least slightly easier on a real stick... and considering how many different inputs we actually use.... I think it's going to turn out great for us Mega players.

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero

So the input turns from:

to:

This . . .

Jackaraia

Smash Cadet

So the input turns from:

to:

I assume the c stick will also bring a half to most if not all Hard Knuckle quick drops because its the same vein of thinking right. Instead of Jump > direction you need to be above > Dair > direction to go back on the stage it'll just be controlling megas path while hitting the c stick down, right?

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
This might make me change L to jump so that I can allow my right hand to be focused on c-sticking.

justadude

Smash Rookie
air MB downward angle (back facing the opponent) short hop slash claw in training stage it a 5 hit combo

F-ric

Smash Cadet
Has anyone else been trying out his customs? I really like danger wrap for anti air and ko potential and tornado hold gives you a really good up b out of shield and it's good for edge guarding and combos. I still think metal blade and possibly leaf shield are the best for the other specials.

Edit: tornado hold is really good below MM it is actually hard to punish from below. Also plant is a good special it's shorter and more consistent then leaf shield and skull is good anti projectile but with lemons its not that useful.

Last edited:

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Has anyone else been trying out his customs? I really like danger wrap for anti air and ko potential and tornado hold gives you a really good up b out of shield and it's good for edge guarding and combos. I still think metal blade and possibly leaf shield are the best for the other specials.

Edit: tornado hold is really good below MM it is actually hard to punish from below. Also plant is a good special it's shorter and more consistent then leaf shield and skull is good anti projectile but with lemons its not that useful.
I've been sticking with the default moveset. From my experience so far however, Danger Wrap is a pretty good move.

Zori

Smash Champion
landed my first pellet lock to uptilt in tourney the other day , I saved it and im thinking about going a short compilation of all the replays I have on my 3ds. I say that because once it's out for wii u im not touching it again lmao

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Inescapable with Forced getup
  • Works on anyone where Ground Footstool → Zdrop Metal Blade connects
  • Leafshield → buffered ground footstool is only a true combo for short characters, Can't buffer a footstool on taller characters
  • Pretty much works at any percent
  • Platforms do not obstruct combo as you can fall through them
  • Some characters, Ground Footstool → Zdrop Metal Blade only connects if they are facing the opposite direction as Megaman. when Leafshield Connects they face Megaman, use RAR buffered Ground Footstool
  • Footstool → Lemon force get up only works on second footstool, more consecutive footstools = shorter jump
  • Can replace Zdrop Metal Blade → Utilt with Zdrop Metal Blade → Dair spike
  • Possibly infinite you Can discover another combo where you connect Two footstools to Lemon reset off of a forced get up.
Leafshield → Dash → Short hop (as leafshield connects) → Buffered Ground short Footstool → buffered Zdropped metal blade → Fast Fall ASAP → Aerial short Footstool → FastFall ASAP(around a little after opponent hit the ground)→Nair(pick up metalblade) Auto-cancel → ground triple lemon (force a get up) → Short hop Just after 3rd Lemon → Apex of short hop, Zdrop Metalblade → Fastfall → Utilt

Leafshield (2% or 4% if leafshield did not dissipate before aerial Footstool )
Zdrop Metalblade (5% if vectored properly or 10% because it hits twice)
Lemons (6%, 8% if you land 2 sweet spot jabs, last one has to be ftilt if you want to land Zdrop MetalBlade on get up)
Utilt (sweetspot 17%, 12% sour spot)

1 Leafshield+ 2 Zdrop Metal Blades+1 Lemon triple+ 1 Mega Upper= 30-49%
I found an Inescapable combo with Forced getup Finisher that is adjustable for about every character except bowser. I posted it in the Grade that Setup combo thread. Slight adjustments are made for different characters such as not buffering zDrop on skinny characters, or short hop toward tall characters because they are not short enough to buffer a footstool . I've experiemented and its works with everyone except bowser(though it does work but there is no practical way to pull it off since his heavy armor protects him from Leaf shield)

essentially it uses the footstool mechanic where with each consecutive footstool, the jump height is reduced. The second footstool is short enough where you can Force a get up with Lemons. This part is actually not too difficult but getting the Strongest followup is SH > Zdrop > fastfall > pivot > utilt all before The invincibility frames of get-up is hard, but dealing an incredible 17%-32% (Sweet or sour spot utilt + 1-3 metal blade ticks of damage)
(edit) An easier way to land the strong Followup Zdrop Metal Blade > utilt is to wait after they get up

This Combo is only really possible in a real match through leaf shield since you need to land a Ground Footstool.

I feel this gives Leafshield amazing offensive capabilities, instead of Fishing for a Grab or Metal Blade Toss, you can lay on a monstrous combo from a simple footstool.

Thou shalt not disrespect leafshield. It leads into the most damaging combo found (I believe)

TL;DR leafshield leads into wombo combo, Go to training 1/4 speed(hold L) and smash a mario or somethin.

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Found another simple and fun tech while goofing around in training.

If you time an upwards Metal Blade toss so that it leaves Mega Man's hand just before he bounces off Rush, you can immediately catch the blade by using any aerial, even bair.

It's a handy way of quickly getting a Metal Blade in your hand without too much risk. Seems like it might be a good tech against opponents whose projectile pressure makes grabbing a MB the normal way difficult, like Link and Sheik.

Also, it may be decent for edgeguarding against people trying to recover high. You can use the "Rush Blade Catch" with a fair to pop your opponent back and up, then spike them on the way down by trapping them with a downward thrown MB into dair.

an1bal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anibalt
3DS FC
0018-2664-8234
I found an Inescapable combo with Forced getup Finisher that is adjustable for about every character except bowser. I posted it in the Grade that Setup combo thread. Slight adjustments are made for different characters such as not buffering zDrop on skinny characters, or short hop toward tall characters because they are not short enough to buffer a footstool . I've experiemented and its works with everyone except bowser(though it does work but there is no practical way to pull it off since his heavy armor protects him from Leaf shield)

essentially it uses the footstool mechanic where with each consecutive footstool, the jump height is reduced. The second footstool is short enough where you can Force a get up with Lemons. This part is actually not too difficult but getting the Strongest followup is SH > Zdrop > fastfall > pivot > utilt all before The invincibility frames of get-up is hard, but dealing an incredible 17%-32% (Sweet or sour spot utilt + 1-3 metal blade ticks of damage)
This Combo is only really possible in a real match through leaf shield since you need to land a Ground Footstool.

I feel this gives Leafshield amazing offensive capabilities, instead of just rolling, Grab or Metal Blade Toss, you can lay on a monstrous combo from a simple footstool.

Thou shalt not disrespect leafshield. It leads into the most damaging combo found (I believe)

TL;DR leafshield leads into wombo combo, Go to training 1/4 speed(hold L) and smash a mario or somethin.
that sounds complex! will definitely test it out later.

an1bal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anibalt
3DS FC
0018-2664-8234
ugh, just got destroyed by a mario who caped my hard knuckle. It killed me at like 60% or something. I just had to share my pain with someone.

Zori

Smash Champion
Wait you tried to hard knuckle him under you and it flew back up???

I'm sorry that's hilarious xD

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
that sounds complex! will definitely test it out later.
Its not Too complex. I just added quite a few minute details. A lot of people already found the smaller components to the combo and I put all of it together

• Leaf Shield > Ground Footstool is guaranteed if done right (what needs to be done is slightly different depending of character height) I thought of and tested this one, didn't find anyone else who thought of this
  • Ground Footstool > Zdrop MetalBlade is nothing new. Footstool > item is something any character can do
  • MetalBlade > Air Footstool, someone else thought of Metalblade > Footstool > dair
  • Stale Footstool > Lemons, I Found this one. doing consecutive Footstools results in shorter Stale Footstools allowing Footstool options that were previously not possible.
  • Lemons can force a get up, This was discovered by another. He used a low percent Nair to knock down the opponent and used Lemons for a forced get up. this is not guaranteed since the opponent can Tech the Nair
  • Footstools are untechable, this is just general knowledge. Once Footstooled there are a set amount of frames where you cannot put in inputs including Shield for teching. or circle pad for rolling/immediately Getting up once Knocked Down.
  • Forced Get up the opponent is forced to get up allowing you to charge up/ setup a follow up, No Hard Reads or Tech Chasing of any kind required
I guess it is kinda complex. whatever. I guess I'll name it the Lumber Mill Stomp (because leaves and buzz saws and footstools) for now till better name
Leaf Shield > Footstool > Zdrop > Footstool > Nair (and pick up metalblade) > Auto-canceled Nair, 3 ground lemons Force Get Up > Follow up

The easiest followup is Utilt (17%)
After Lemons simple hold up and And press Attack, done. You should hit them off the ground. no need to wait for the get up
Or at lower percents Metal Blade Down Toss > uTilt (22%)

The best follow ups are
  • Zdrop Metal Blade > uTilt (27%), can hit off the ground with utilt if fast enough or you can wait for them to get up
  • Zdrop Metal Blade > Dair Spike (17%), obviously use near the ledge, wait for them to Get up, You can't hit off the ground.
  • Partially Charged Dsmash (20%), use if no metal blade, Charge while they get up
Also other dumb stuff to try out
  • Buzzsaw of death, On fat characters such as DK, Zdrop Metal blade does hits three times, continuously Catch and Zdrop Metalblade, 7 Ticks of damage =35%+12% if you finish with a Bair
  • Leaf Shield Footstools of death, Zdrop Metalblade > Footstool > Leaf Shield > Footstool > Footstool > Footstool > Footstool DEAD

Last edited:
Top Bottom