• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Light Labs: Mega Man Advance Techniques Discovery Thread

BBC7

Smash Ace
So... apparently I missed this post. I haven't seen much of a difference between the roll cancel grab and the normal dash grab. Does it actually go further?
I think the roll cancel grab may activate a few frames earlier than the dash grab, but that's just an assumption.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
So... apparently I missed this post. I haven't seen much of a difference between the roll cancel grab and the normal dash grab. Does it actually go further?
It *seems* faster to me, goes about the same range (But the actual grab's range seems more consistent to me) and while I may be wrong on this, it seems like it has a *little* less lag.

Honestly the only time I notice a difference to me is when I tech chase a Dthrow since I can sit there and react to whatever they do. In this situation Roll Cancel Grab is pretty consistent in catching the airdodges/Nair landing/neutral landing whereas dash grab will sometimes miss or get beat out.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
It *seems* faster to me, goes about the same range (But the actual grab's range seems more consistent to me) and while I may be wrong on this, it seems like it has a *little* less lag.

Honestly the only time I notice a difference to me is when I tech chase a Dthrow since I can sit there and react to whatever they do. In this situation Roll Cancel Grab is pretty consistent in catching the airdodges/Nair landing/neutral landing whereas dash grab will sometimes miss or get beat out.
Hmm, I'll try using it more. At the very least, it's the same as a dash grab. Any improvements on the dash grab, no matter how small, are welcome in my game.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Easy way to land Mega Upper on greedy ppl:
When your opponent is at Utilt kill%, throw a MB at the ground some distance infront of him/her (try to not look suspicious). Space yourself on the other side, a bit away from the stuck MB.
The foe will come rushing towards the MB and use a Dash Attack to pick it up and hit you at the same time.
Hit the victim in the face with a sweetspot Mega Upper - Giggle.

Note: This sounds stupid, I know, but it actually works against ppl in For Glory. Even good players.
Don't expect it to work more than once against a good player, though.

Is it a competitive way of playing?: No

is it fun?: Yes

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Easy way to land Mega Upper on greedy ppl:
When your opponent is at Utilt kill%, throw a MB at the ground some distance infront of him/her (try to not look suspicious). Space yourself on the other side, a bit away from the stuck MB.
The foe will come rushing towards the MB and use a Dash Attack to pick it up and hit you at the same time.
Hit the victim in the face with a sweetspot Mega Upper - Giggle.

Note: This sounds stupid, I know, but it actually works against ppl in For Glory. Even good players.
Don't expect it to work more than once against a good player, though.

Is it a competitive way of playing?: No

is it fun?: Yes
This. I love doing this. You also make it sound so suspicious. Whenever a MB is in the ground, it's so tempting for people to want to pick it up.

Another thing is, if the opponent is right next to the MB, they lose their jab (because they'd pick up the MB). Works wonders against people who really like to jab when up close. The pick up animation is just long enough to recognize it and uppercut.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Hey, I'm about to leave for a tourny, but when I come back later tonight, I may need someone to help me test a few things. I don't want to get anyone's hopes up (Could be huge, could be nothing, could be something in between), so I want to test it before talking about it.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Hey, I'm about to leave for a tourny, but when I come back later tonight, I may need someone to help me test a few things. I don't want to get anyone's hopes up (Could be huge, could be nothing, could be something in between), so I want to test it before talking about it.
I'll help. Pm me

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Is this already known? There are two dash speeds! I first confirmed it with Mega Man and then I was able to do it with Mario.

Dash>bring the control pad ever so slightly back towards neutral position

This will continue the dash but slow it down a smidge. It's difficult to do on the 3DS, but maybe this will prove interesting on the WiiU!

Last edited:

Zori

Smash Champion
I have this replay and I'm really trying to make sense of it. I knocked someone off stage as they grabbed the ledge I upsmashed and they got stage spiked, normally this would be ok but I was at the end of the platform of battlefield o_0

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I have this replay and I'm really trying to make sense of it. I knocked someone off stage as they grabbed the ledge I upsmashed and they got stage spiked, normally this would be ok but I was at the end of the platform of battlefield o_0
gotta post that up

I also have to post a few replays I'm proud of

V_x_I_D

Smash Apprentice
NNID
V_x_I_D
Post it, please. That sounds awesome.

iiGGYxD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiGGYxD
3DS FC
0447-7543-7353
Please share what you found :3

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
WHAT.

On second replay, I think I get what happened. USmash pulls the opponent into the focus of the attack if they're next to you. The pull must've pulled him into the stage --> "stage spike." He had 0 invincibility because he had ledge dropped. This is actually quite useful.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Please share what you found :3
Sorry only just got around to testing it and it's not as good as I hoped... It's more of a gimmick than anything :(

Anyway against some characters (Need to test more, but I know it works on Jiggs and Ness) you can do a grounded grab release that leaves them in perfect range for a sweet spot Utilt. This is very useful for kills since most opponents seem to try to press buttons after grab releases.
Unfortunately I was trying to test whether it was guaranteed and it turns out they can shield it.
Worse yet, since after a grab release you can't regrab for a few seconds (Grab will pass through them), I don't think you can punish them putting up shield (Could be wrong; shielding could remove the grab immunity; didn't think to test it as I didn't have much time with 2 consoles).

Some other characters are at sourspot Utilt range, but IDK if that's really worth it. That said you can connect with DA/Ftilt/Dtilt after, but they can shield that too I assume.

I also wanted to see what we could get off of an aerial grab release and unfortunately I don't think anything connects (Only tested diagonal MB which does not work since again, very little time to test). If someone could test if we can Usmash, Nair, Crash bomb or DA though I would appreciate it. I think they can jump out, but it would be nice if anything were guaranteed.

That said a grounded grab break near the ledge makes them fall off the stage while doing that grab break animation, allowing you to set up gimps/spikes.

It also seems like Leaf Shield does not stay out long enough to connect after a grab break, and it may even just disappear as soon as the break happens.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Is this already known? There are two dash speeds! I first confirmed it with Mega Man and then I was able to do it with Mario.

Dash>bring the control pad ever so slightly back towards neutral position

This will continue the dash but slow it down a smidge. It's difficult to do on the 3DS, but maybe this will prove interesting on the WiiU!
All caracters can do this, and it was in Brawl too.

Zori

Smash Champion
WHAT.

On second replay, I think I get what happened. USmash pulls the opponent into the focus of the attack if they're next to you. The pull must've pulled him into the stage --> "stage spike." He had 0 invincibility because he had ledge dropped. This is actually quite useful.

Oh yeah I didnt notice the re grab that makes a little more sence

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I'm actually not sure if this has been mentioned yet:

MegaMan can z-drop his Metal Blade while airdodging simultaneously. The timing is similar to the Links' "invincibomb" AT. If it doesn't yet have a name, I dub this AT the "invinciblade."

To execute, pick up a Metal Blade, jump, then tap your dodge button in mid air IMMEDIATELY followed by your grab button.

This can be done while short hopping forward or backwards--just make sure you let the control pad return to neutral before executing the z-drop.

One particularly awesome application: this combos effortlessly into grab and boost grab. Simply dash or foxtrot up, short hop into invinciblade, land next to your opponent and grab (if they shielded or spot dodged) or boost grab (if the Metal Blade landed or they rolled).

ETA: another nice application: full hop a rising invinciblade into a falling Air Shooter. Seems to be much safer than the similar Flame Blade to Air Shooter approach.

This AT seems to lead to very effective and hard to avoid approachs when executed correctly.

Last edited:

Jackaraia

Smash Cadet
Alright. So, it's been said before that one of the best ways to succeed as Megaman is to almost play matches like classic Megaman games. Where this is definitely true, I've been having a lot of success with what I like to call my Master Bots Tactics.
Basically, it relies on performing the same pattern of moves at least three times in a row. (kind of like how the Master Robots in Classic Megaman games have a set pattern.) Then, on the fourth time, most players see your doing it again and when they move in to punish you, you change it up so that you can punish their punish. And I know this is basic mind games thing, but if you alternate within a match of playing like a Master Bot and Megaman respectively it's hard for your opponent to get a read on you. Also, if you are really bored, you can try and play like the actual bots and only use one specific move and really psych out your opponent.

But I've come here with two techs I've been doing regularly.

Crash Slash(ing)
Basically, I've been doing what I consider is a really dirty move because it requires you to take crashbomb damage. But. basically if an opponent has shielded during crash bomb, rush them and try and pivot and face the other direction just as you touch them with Mega's body. Your backfoot needs to remain connected to them on the pivot because the crash bomb will be transferred to you. Now, most of the time, as soon as an opponent sees a bomb on you in combination with you standing right there, they will unshield to attack/ grab. Be ready, because you want to time your dash and pivot so that the cbomb sticks to you just before it explodes. When it does, granted both you and your opponent are facing the same direction (because you pivoted,) both of you will be sent in the exact same hitsun pattern up and to the side. When you do, mash Bair as fast as possible. It usually connects all three blade swipes. I've yet to miss when doing this correctly, most of my trouble has been getting the pivot to still grab the crash bomb away. It's been getting me a lot of K.O.s and has little risk because BAir comes out almost immediately.

Ground Tornado
So, another really useful tool against most characters is the Ground Tornado. (It hasn't been working on jiggly, kirby, pikachu and the other tinier characters.) When falling back down to the stage in any way outside of hitsun, you can UAir as you are landing and the tornado will grab the enemy fighter and send them upwards. You have to start it at a certain height, otherwise landing will interrupt the formation of said tornado. But if you can master it, it works really well against characters who like to stay grounded. (Little mac especially.) Also, if they are at low percent they don't get flown up super high, and you can almost always follow up with another tornado to juggle or Bair/FAir.

I'm currently working on getting clean clips of both of these where you can clearly see when to initiate both of these.

BBC7

Smash Ace
As a joke, I decided to do a new "tech" which is basically just Leaf Shield Short Hopping but with Jump + A instead of Jump + B. What I found was actually quite surprising. Since you stay in the air for a very short while while using Dair, you will basically float above your opponents before shooting out a Hard Knuckle. This helps you space yourself properly for a spike against opponents who are going for the edge.

I'll call it Hard Knuckle Spike Hop as a reference to Leaf Shield Short Hop

EDIT: To add insult to injury, it actually looks like you can combo Top Spin into HKSH, kind of like Falco's Chain Grab to Spike in Brawl.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
As a joke, I decided to do a new "tech" which is basically just Leaf Shield Short Hopping but with Jump + A instead of Jump + B. What I found was actually quite surprising. Since you stay in the air for a very short while while using Dair, you will basically float above your opponents before shooting out a Hard Knuckle. This helps you space yourself properly for a spike against opponents who are going for the edge.

I'll call it Hard Knuckle Spike Hop as a reference to Leaf Shield Short Hop

EDIT: To add insult to injury, it actually looks like you can combo Top Spin into HKSH, kind of like Falco's Chain Grab to Spike in Brawl.
Yeah, I noticed this a while back. It's really fun to run off the stage and fly back with this. Landing the spike becomes easier to recover from

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I believe Rush Canceling can be done with Tornado Hold.

When I attempted it though, something interesting happened.

Nothing useful really, but it showed the light that would beam rush in while I used the tornado, which was pretty weird but cool. Was during Pikachu's fair IIRC.

V_x_I_D

Smash Apprentice
NNID
V_x_I_D
Has anyone heard anything about the update today making Megaman's Dair buffed to where it isn't a m-smash anymore?

BBC7

Smash Ace
I have a definite list of all the buffs and nerfs that Mega Man has received in 1.0.3. It's pretty incredible.

Buffs:

Nerfs:

Pretty cool, I deserve an award.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
I have a definite list of all the buffs and nerfs that Mega Man has received in 1.0.3. It's pretty incredible.

Buffs:

Nerfs:

Pretty cool, I deserve an award.
Gold star to you.

Edit: I thought I should actually contribute something with this post.

Something that everyone should be using that I recently abused a villager with. If someone ledge drops to edgeguard you and is going back to the ledge (without invincibility). DAir spike right off the ledge. The ledge acts as a magnet to pull them into your fist. Gets em every time.

Last edited:

Doval

Smash Lord
Gold star to you.

Edit: I thought I should actually contribute something with this post.

Something that everyone should be using that I recently abused a villager with. If someone ledge drops to edgeguard you and is going back to the ledge (without invincibility). DAir spike right off the ledge. The ledge acts as a magnet to pull them into your fist. Gets em every time.
Note that they don't have to let the edge pull them. There's very little incentive to do so since it just leaves you vulnerable. Anyone with a quick Up B can go past the edge and try to hit you before Hard Knuckle comes out, Marth/Lucina being one of the most obvious candidates.

AirShad

Smash Cadet
Not sure if anyone has noticed this yet but Megaman can duck under Captain Falcons dash grab... Not sure about other characters but I'm sure it's true for others as well.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Apparently Mega Man's fsmash now travels farther, according to a list of changes in the 1.0.3 patch.

Doval

Smash Lord

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Happens to the best of us.
Those opponents were derping hard. They can Up B almost immediately after being hit, which will almost always end up in you getting hurt and them grabbing the edge safely.
You could say the same thing about anyone who gets hit with a bair or dair. Sure, you can often see these moves coming and hit the Mega Man before he hits you, but its easier said than done. If you fire up LS, you're telegraphing a little that you're going for a gimp but your opponent still doesn't know when you'll go for it, so mashing UpB is still pretty dangerous for him.

The only time this trick is risky is against characters who have an UpB with instant startup and a strong first hit that can overpower your leaves (e,g. Mario, Marth)

Against characters like Fox and Captain Falcon, your only real risk is that they get an UpB off at the same time as you footstool well out of their range, which isn't the end of the world. Against Ness there's almost no risk at all unless you straight up fail to footstool him.

Doval

Smash Lord
You could say the same thing about anyone who gets hit with a bair or dair. Sure, you can often see these moves coming and hit the Mega Man before he hits you, but its easier said than done. If you fire up LS, you're telegraphing a little that you're going for a gimp but your opponent still doesn't know when you'll go for it, so mashing UpB is still pretty dangerous for him.

The only time this trick is risky is against characters who have an UpB with instant startup and a strong first hit that can overpower your leaves (e,g. Mario, Marth)

Against characters like Fox and Captain Falcon, your only real risk is that they get an UpB off at the same time as you footstool well out of their range, which isn't the end of the world. Against Ness there's almost no risk at all unless you straight up fail to footstool him.
I don't doubt the viability of a footstool, but a lot of those deaths were simply the opponent having a brain fart and letting themselves freefall for no reason. Many happened so close to the edge that there's just no excuse for it.

Last edited:

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
I tried some LS edge guarding yesterday.

I got 3 total nice LS footstools. But more importantly and commonly, some people got freaked out and backed up on their own and failed.

My theory is they have seen the video too and when they saw LS they worried about getting footstooled and managed to over panic.

Either way, it was cool.

Top Bottom