• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
Kid Icarus also has loads of items, assist trophies, Palutena's Guidance and enemies in Smash Run.
That's already loads more than DK.
Kid Icarus is like the only franchise in Smash right now where it makes sense to have something like that. Does it really count? And DK doesn't need a ton of enemies in Smash Run. You have their classic Kremling foes and then their more recent Tiki enemies, its fine.

And I suppose DK is getting gypped on the items front. I guess there are the barrels and bananas, but its only arguable if those count. There are the hammers and springs but those aren't from Country.

Having one of the many factory levels would be nice, or a pirate ship, or a laboratory, or a volcano, etc
Kid Icarus has 2 unique characters like DK
Kid Icarus has differently themed stages because Reset Bomb Forest. DK only gets jungles
Kid Icarus has a large varied selection of themes. Most of the DK themes are the same
Kid Icarus has 2 ATs. DK doesn't have any
Kid Icarus' stages range from 2 Sky Temples and a desolate wasteland.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Kid Icarus is like the only franchise in Smash right now where it makes sense to have something like that. Does it really count? And DK doesn't need a ton of enemies in Smash Run. You have their classic Kremling foes and then their more recent Tiki enemies, its fine.

And I suppose DK is getting gypped on the items front. I guess there are the barrels and bananas, but its only arguable if those count. There are the hammers and springs but those aren't from Country.

Bananas and Barrels are all that can be thought of? What about some of the artillery from DK64?
Donkey Kong only has jungle areas. That's less variety

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
You should have text under you're image or you will get a warning. Just for you know. Also this gif...:4dk:
That rule is only for the Smash 4 Social Thread, actually.

I wouldn't say it's enough. At all. Do note that DKC is a platformer series (which means most enemies would fit in Smash Run like a glove), with 5 games under it's belt and almost completely separate cast of mooks in each game. Reducing that to literally two enemies isn't enough in any way.

:231:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
That rule is only for the Smash 4 Social Thread, actually.

I wouldn't say it's enough. At all. Do note that DKC is a platformer series (which means most enemies would fit in Smash Run like a glove), with 5 games under it's belt and almost completely separate cast of mooks in each game. Reducing that to literally two enemies isn't enough in any way.

Zingers, Klaptraps, Neckys, and Gnawtys all could've been added in Smash Run. That might've actually made me think about how I miss adventure mode and Subspace Emissary more and how Smash Run is stupid.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Kid Icarus doesn't need tons of Smash Run enemies either.
DK has Klumps, Zingers, Klaptraps, Necky, Gnawty, the entire Tiki and Snowmad factions.

Kid Icarus has only had 3 stages whilst DK has had 6 with one of them not being a Jungle (75M).

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Zingers and Klap Traps are the main DKC enemies that would do well in Smash. Zingers being a flying enemy that can't be killed by Direct contact (you'd have to throw something at them) and Klap Traps needing to be killed from behind (or you can jump on top of them like Goombas maybe).

Gnawties would be neat, but they're more directly like Goombas than anything else in DK games, enemies that just walk in a straight line and are easily killed by any attacks. Klap Traps are low on the ground, difficult to see (sometimes), and can be very annoying.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Here I am, reminiscing about the speculation of what "Large Kremling Boss" in Smash Run could be.

Friggin' Egoraptor and his "Nintendo World Store Rep."

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Klap Traps are low on the ground, difficult to see (sometimes), and can be very annoying.
You know, back in the day, because of those little guys, I thought that the entire Kremling race was intended as something of a nod to the Snapjaws from Donkey Kong Junior. I was actually kind of dissapointed when I eventually learned that that had nothing to do with it. :laugh:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Krushas should have been in Smash Run, along with that goofy laugh when you run into them. :p

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Krushas should have been in Smash Run, along with that goofy laugh when you run into them. :p

Yeah. I think Krusha should've definitely been an enemy. Maybe even they can't be killed and they just walk in a straight line, shrugging off everything that hits them and occasionally performing a big punch. That'd be cool.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Having differently-coloured Kritters with differing attacks seemed like a bit of a waste of potential, given that, really.

D

Deleted member

Here I am, reminiscing about the speculation of what "Large Kremling Boss" in Smash Run could be.

Friggin' Egoraptor and his "Nintendo World Store Rep."
...I completely forgot about that.

Seriously, what the hell was that all about?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm still waiting for Kraid...

Actually, wasn't it Kirbopher (the guy behind Smash Taunts) who said that?
Yep, it was him. My bad, got them mixed up.

...I completely forgot about that.

Seriously, what the hell was that all about?
Kirbopher claimed in a GameXplain video that, while he was playing the Smash Run demo at the Nintendo World Store, the Nintendo rep told him the mode would also feature bosses as events, including Kraid and "one of the large Kremling bosses from Donkey Kong."

Since videos had shown larger enemies appear as events like Bonkers and the Clobberskulls, people were debating whether the large Kremling was K. Rool himself or some big mook like Klump or Krusha.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Let's not compare DK to Kid Icarus, alright?

That will only end in hair-pulling for both sides.

Mewtwoultima

Smash Apprentice
Pokemon DP and FE9 were released before Brawl
The Japanese know about Ridley. They had no idea who Little Mac was
Sonic as a whole is MUCH more popular in the west
K.Rool is a fan favourite EVERYWHERE, Ridley was definitely requested enough for Sakurai to say why he didn't make it in
False, Kid Icarus isn't that popular. Otherwise Myth and Monsters would have been released in Japan
Yes, but Sakurai decided the roster for the most part before diamond and pearl CAME out and when path of radiance had just come out. He had a spot reserved for a new Pokemon and fire emblem character.
I know that. But he still doesn't get many requests despite being more known.
Yes. I know that.
I know hat and I'm happy he is and was surpsrised to find that out when I saw the rough estimations. I would like to know if Sakurai ever considered K.Rool or thought of him. We know Dixie Kong was originally going to be a duo character with Diddy.
It may be a small series, but the matter of the fact is. A lot of Japanese WANTED Palutena. Besides. Unlike most smaller series, Uprising and the original sold a little over a million copies worldwide. Just because it's small, doesn't mean it's not popular. Look at how passionate the Earthbound, Fire Emblem, and Golden Sun fan bases are. Especially Earthbound's.

Take a chill pill. I feel like you didn't understand what I meant. I knew K.Rool was beloved in Japan, I was just surprised to find that out months ago when I saw that. Just wanted to have a discussion and some were getting a littlle serious at me about some topics, so I wanted to say my reasons why I thought that. Not healthy or good to overreact or be mean to others when something doesn't go the way you want it. I wasn't attacking you at all. I meant to say during development and before the games came out during development. I thought people would get that since it was next to the point about greninja and get that it went in context about Sakurai deciding who to put in. I assumed people would get what I meant by before the game came out since they know most of the time, they don't choose to wait for a game to come out to add a certain character most of the time. Developers get to see things behind closed doors that we don't get to. Case in point. Roy.
I think he means Ike and Lucario were picked in development before their games were out, though that actually isn't the case for Ike as POR had been out for months before Brawl started development.

The cartoon was also more popular in Japan than anywhere else in the world, so that could definitely contribute.
Thank you. That was exactly my point. Path of Radiance did just come out which is why I said about to come out. Sorry for accidentally missing some words. Sakurai had a spot reserved as he had trouble finding a new character to pick until he stumbled upon Path of Radiance and ultimately went with Ike. Lucario only had the movie and some spinoff games before diamond and pearl came out, but it was still a case of Greninja to an extent.

Indeed the cartoon was. Which was very interesting when I found out about that.
I believe it is because the Donkey Kong Country games are liked more over seas than the Metroid games. Take Little Mac for example, he is hardly known in Japan and may were surprised he made it in. There were some Little Mac fans, but they were low in number compared to the Western audience. Ridley is also one of those characters, that appeals more to Western fans than Japanese. King K. Rool is a character that is well liked in the West and Japan mostly because they like his games or just like his quirky nature.

I am guessing here, but maybe Japan likes King K. Rool's villainous attitude, since they like Wario's attitude and he has the same goofy fashion of our Kremling King.
From what I have seen. The reason Metroid isn't that big in Japan, at least for the prime trilogy is because shooting games. Mostly FPS games don't appeal to them that much and they apparently get motion sick easily from moving the curser around a lot.

Could be. Although the show was pretty successful from my understanding in Japan.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Kirbopher claimed in a GameXplain video that, while he was playing the Smash Run demo at the Nintendo World Store, the Nintendo rep told him the mode would also feature bosses as events, including Kraid and "one of the large Kremling bosses from Donkey Kong."

Since videos had shown larger enemies appear as events like Bonkers and the Clobberskulls, people were debating whether the large Kremling was K. Rool himself or some big mook like Klump or Krusha.
I know what transpired, I just want to know what would've made the Nintendo rep say such a bogus statement.

Donkey Kong Jr

Smash Cadet
You know, back in the day, because of those little guys, I thought that the entire Kremling race was intended as something of a nod to the Snapjaws from Donkey Kong Junior. I was actually kind of dissapointed when I eventually learned that that had nothing to do with it. :laugh:
Well, I think Klaptraps were probably based off of them :p

Also, I'd like to add that Krushas, Klumps, Klaptraps, Zingers, Gnawtys, and Neckys could have all made for good enemies in Smash Run or for an adventure mode of some nature.

StormC

Smash Hero
So there was discussion earlier about a chat during the E3 stream. Are we still doing that? I dunno what chat client we'd use.

StormC

Smash Hero
No. I am allowed to challenge people, right? This is a forum, correct?
"Challenge" is a pretty loaded word and not something that is usually thought of as creating healthy discussion and debate.

I don't always agree with Ridley supporters on the character, but I know there would be little productive discourse in coming into the Ridley thread to say "you know, maybe Ridley is too much trouble to bother with." Fans are going to be defensive on the spot with a statement like that.

Even if for some reason you wanted to tell a bunch of Donkey Kong fans that you thought the DK franchise wasn't underrepresented, you definitely could have gone about it better.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
If DK is not underrepresented in Smash then what does that make Metroid, Star Fox, and Wario?

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I mean does Wario need anything else???
Captain Syrup and Waluigi (so what if he's only been in Mario games, he's obviously related to Wario) would make nice new playable reps. And maybe a stage and more music from the Wario Land games.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Captain Syrup and Waluigi (so what if he's only been in Mario games, he's obviously related to Wario) would make nice new playable reps. And maybe a stage and more music from the Wario Land games.
I was talking solely on playable characters. Syrup would be nice (make more WarioLand first) and Waluigi is not a Wario character until he shows up in a Wario game and has an important role. He is a Mario character. Also I'm pretty sure Nintendo confirmed Waluigi wasn't related to Wario.

StormC

Smash Hero
Yeah, Wario is in that nebulous area for franchises where despite being a long-running series, he lacks any really salient playable options. Most character suggestions come off as just having a second Wario character instead of being a truly desired character (although Syrup would be great). Whereas a series like Donkey Kong has quite a few options for characters that would stand on their own merits rather than just being "DK character 3."

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I was talking solely on playable characters. Syrup would be nice (make more WarioLand first) and Waluigi is not a Wario character until he shows up in a Wario game and has an important role. He is a Mario character. Also I'm pretty sure Nintendo confirmed Waluigi wasn't related to Wario.
I'd still be up for either or both one way or another.
Yeah, Wario is in that nebulous area for franchises where despite being a long-running series, he lacks any really salient playable options. Most character suggestions come off as just having a second Wario character instead of being a truly desired character (although Syrup would be great). Whereas a series like Donkey Kong has quite a few options for characters that would stand on their own merits rather than just being "DK character 3."
Ah, ok but other content besides second playable reps would be nice too.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I mean does Wario need anything else???
Anything from the entirety of the 7 WarioLand/World games other than two songs and his final smash?
There isn't even a single trophy from that entire half of wario's identity.
They removed the shoulder-bash F-Smash, the ONE real attack that was from that series.
Though his F-Throw could be tied to the Wing-A-Ding Fling from Wario World... it's the same basic spinning toss :4mario::4luigi::4drmario: have.

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
Anything from the entirety of the 7 WarioLand/World games other than two songs and his final smash?
They removed the shoulder-bash F-Smash, the ONE real attack that was from that series.
Though his F-Throw could be tied to the Wing-A-Ding Fling from Wario World... it's the same basic spinning toss :4mario::4luigi::4drmario: have.
Final Smash? Two songs? Last time i checked Wario-Man was from Ware and he only had one Wario Land Song.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Final Smash? Two songs? Last time i checked Wario-Man was from Ware and he only had one Wario Land Song.
I'm... wrong on both accounts.

I know Wario-man happened in Warioware, but I would've sworn it was part of that attrocious Master of Disguise DS game.

And... I thought there was a second Wario Land song. That only makes things worse that there is ONE song for that entire half of Wario... and the half where he actually has an active role.

God.

It's worse than I unknowingly lied to myself.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Um, Burruni, I was talking bout dem playable characters. I do think Wario should get a moveset revamp again (not specials), and more songs and stages representing Wario Land.

Top Bottom