• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Mewtwoultima

Smash Apprentice
Metroid being heavily inspired by western sci-fi (mainly Alien) probably alienated a lot of Japanese players.
True. Just like how samurai type games appeal to them more.
This is exactly why I think this is happening. Its separate because Smash is already out, and they've got a lot of things to announce just for Smash. But in the digital Event, they want it to focus on new games coming out.
I could see that happening and it makes sense. It allows for them to focus on the big guns that are completely new or have yet to come out as you said. Maybe one surprise could be in store later in the day though. Sakurai is a master of surprises after all. Most likely not though to be honest.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
I don't think we should get too hyped for this event. Even if new DLC characters are annouced it will probably be Ryu/Roy or even Wolf. I think K. Rool is still likely because of the ballot, but I don't think we'll see any results from that for awhile.

Rattle-Kalimba

Smash Apprentice
A lot of you guys really think that KKR will win. But I have a bit of an doubt on it. Okay, not that high, but still its really not easy to say, if KKR really is winning the ballot. Like I know the Fans they will automatically jump on the next bandwagon when their is a new character showing up. If the new FE comes out I can see many people voting for that new character.
Or if we see a picture or an artwork or even a clip of the new important character of Zelda Wii U you can bet that people will starting to vote for this character, even if they have no clue who he/she/it is. Look how many votes the Inklings got before the game even came out.

So their for I hope. I really hope that until the ballot ends, their will be no or at least not so many new characters announced. Those new possible characters and maybe some Thirds like Shovel Knight, Shantae or Banjo are KKRs only big opponents in this ballot.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
A lot of you guys really think that KKR will win. But I have a bit of an doubt on it. Okay, not that high, but still its really not easy to say, if KKR really is winning the ballot. Like I know the Fans they will automatically jump on the next bandwagon when their is a new character showing up. If the new FE comes out I can see many people voting for that new character.
Or if we see a picture or an artwork or even a clip of the new important character of Zelda Wii U you can bet that people will starting to vote for this character, even if they have no clue who he/she/it is. Look how many votes the Inklings got before the game even came out.

So their for I hope. I really hope that until the ballot ends, their will be no or at least not so many new characters announced. Those new possible characters and maybe some Thirds like Shovel Knight, Shantae or Banjo are KKRs only big opponents in this ballot.
Unless all the people who voted K. Rool changed their mind, and start voting on a new character, I doubt it's really going to do anything. Because see, the important phase (i.e. the beginning) of the ballot has already happened. People who really cared, or even slightly cared have already voted, and most are unlikely to care enough to vote again.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
With the Sunday Direct, I wonder whether or not we'll get a surprise character instead of an obvious one.

Think back to the major Directs pre-release...when the masses were trilling about Kong Duo in February, we got Little Mac instead. When Palutena was an unstoppable train after the one-two punch of Gematsu and that leak with Mario, we got Greninja. When #MonadoMonday was a thing, Robin tipped the scales. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the team were playing on expectations that Roy and/or Ryu were showing up, then put in some other character instead (probably Wolf).

The only hole in this trend is that the developers might not be that savvy as to our expectations, but rather our expectations might just be warped due to an epidemic of Muhrelevantitis.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
hmm..was a weired day and all...the store was really dead...no customers at all...untill the last 2 hours it was really busy and loaded with customers...dont you just love it when they do that?
Being Security and all it wasent half as bad since i dont actually have to serve anyone...just a bunch of sweaty builders that resemble Wario..well what do you expect from a Hardware store..
And then later on in the day i got Called a racist for apparently im about to quote him now.
''Following him and out of all the people in the store im following him because he is Black?''
Hmmm...a argument arose...
Being security my good sir i can follow anyone i like its something im allowed to do in my job if i think someone maybe a little shiftry....i wasent even following him anyway..
I was following..her :) jke...

- RealTalk -

Im not Racist...i told him that sterotype is really old fashioned and boring..and the he is not in fact as special as he thinks he is...
The cursing began..ofc i didnt curse back back...this is all happening smack dang at the store entrance mind you...were EvERYoNE iS WatChInGg...jolly ho :)

I politely asked him if he would like to step outside so we can discuss this.
(My cue to get him away from staff and customers so i can show him that im quite the Wario potty mouth my self and have quite the foul gutter mouth myself practiced and perfected what do you expect i live in the poor part of London its all RealTalk down here please dont let the suit fool you.

But he inisisted not to...instead he called for the store manager.
I may continue this story depends if you jolly ol' KlapTrap's want me too.
Anywho...

Just got home from work and... saw this...on WiiU Daily

Screenshot_2015-06-08-23-35-48.png

On sunday Real%!Talk!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
For those interested, I uploaded my 3D model of the King on sketchfab (a online 3D viewer):
https://skfb.ly/EJvu
https://twitter.com/Julien_Lesieur/status/607831313857576960
You can now check its royal belly from every angle!

[Go back job hunting while waiting for the direct]
That's pretty cool. Nice.

hmm..was a weired day and all...the store was really dead...no customers at all...untill the last 2 hours it was really busy and loaded with customers...dont you just love it when they do that?
Being Security and all it wasent half as bad since i dont actually have to serve anyone...just a bunch of sweaty builders that resemble Wario..well what do you expect from a Hardware store..
And then later on in the day i got Called a racist for apparently im about to quote him now.
''Following him and out of all the people in the store im following him because he is Black?''
Hmmm...a argument arose...
Being security my good sir i can follow anyone i like its something im allowed to do in my job if i think someone maybe trying to shiftry..
Im not Racist...i told him that sterotype is really old fashioned and boring..and the he is not in fact as special as he thinks he is...
The cursing began..ofc i didnt curse back back...this is all happening smack dang at the store entrance mind you...were EvERYoNE iS WatChInGg...jolly ho :)

I politely asked him if he would like to step outside so we can discuss this.
(My cue to get him away from staff and customers so i can show him that im quite the Wario potty mouth my self and have quite the foul gutter mouth myself practiced and perfected what do you expect i live in the poor part of London its all RealTalk down here.

But he inisisted not to...instead he called for the store manager.
I may continue this story depends if you jolly ol' KlapTrap's want me too.
Anywho...

Just got home from work and... saw this...on WiiU Daily

View attachment 55627

View attachment 55628

On sunday Real%!Talk!
That doesn't mean there's anything related to the ballot specifically. I think there will, but there's no guarantee. There WILL be new info, though.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
That's pretty cool. Nice.

That doesn't mean there's anything related to the ballot specifically. I think there will, but there's no guarantee. There WILL be new info, though.
Exzactly new info even if he tells us how many more chars we get or something like that its still big stuff!
And E3 is only 2 days after that so no cliffhangers !

Well...they always is with smash..but yh.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion

I'm not terribly concerned with bandwagon votes, as those tend to die down after a month or so.

I think our biggest competition could potentially be Krystal, depending on her role in the Wii U Starfox game. And ain't that some ****, two Rare created characters jostling for the top spot. Three if you count Banjo.

StormC

Smash Hero
Sadly, your probably right.

Also, was this intentional?
:samus:

I'm not terribly concerned with bandwagon votes, as those tend to die down after a month or so.

I think our biggest competition could potentially be Krystal, depending on her role in the Wii U Starfox game. And ain't that some ****, two Rare created characters jostling for the top spot. Three if you count Banjo.
Nah, I don't think so. Krystal is probably a top 5 contender or close to it, but I don't think her potential role in SFU has much to do with her possibility. Wolf is already a factor for that.

Last edited:

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
The way I see it is if wolf is getting in, krystal isnt. And thats not even to say that I think wolf is alreadyfor sure getting in.

StormC

Smash Hero
The way I see it is if wolf is getting in, krystal isnt. And thats not even to say that I think wolf is alreadyfor sure getting in.
I was actually thinking about this earlier.

I'd wager the most likely Nintendo newcomers are something like this...

1. K. Rool
2. Isaac
3. Inkling
4. Bandana Dee
5. Dixie Kong
6. Krystal
7. Impa
8. Chorus Kids
9. Captain Toad
10. Chibi-Robo

I think 7-9 is pretty interchangeable, though. Overall, I think the only franchises that could get more than one character out of DLC are Donkey Kong, and MAYBE Star Fox and Pokemon. Krystal has been in heavy demand since the pre-Brawl days and SFU could easily warrant two characters in Sakurai's eyes a la FE: Awakening, and Pokemon always sells.

I also think there's a good chance Chorus Kids are the last pre-planned DLC, along with Wolf.

Interesting how many popular choices are Rare characters, between the three here and Banjo-Kazooie.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I was actually thinking about this earlier.

I'd wager the most likely Nintendo newcomers are something like this...

1. K. Rool
2. Isaac
3. Inkling
4. Bandana Dee
5. Dixie Kong
6. Krystal
7. Impa
8. Chorus Kids
9. Captain Toad
10. Chibi-Robo

I think 7-9 is pretty interchangeable, though. Overall, I think the only franchises that could get more than one character out of DLC are Donkey Kong, and MAYBE Star Fox and Pokemon. Krystal has been in heavy demand since the pre-Brawl days and SFU could easily warrant two characters in Sakurai's eyes a la FE: Awakening, and Pokemon always sells.

I also think there's a good chance Chorus Kids are the last pre-planned DLC, along with Wolf.

Interesting how many popular choices are Rare characters, between the three here and Banjo-Kazooie.
Are you that confident about Inklings? I get that Splatoon did very well commercially and critically, but after the costumes were revealed I lost faith in their chances. I won't say it rules them out (or people would be jumping at me with the Link and Meta Knight Miis), but I'm hardly that confident now.

The rest of the list, I agree with, except for Chorus Kids.

:231:

StormC

Smash Hero
Are you that confident about Inklings? I get that Splatoon did very well commercially and critically, but after the costumes were revealed I lost faith in their chances. I won't say it rules them out (or people would be jumping at me with the Link and Meta Knight Miis), but I'm hardly that confident now.

Inkling has done well on a number of polls and is guaranteed to get more votes after the huge splash the game has made. It would be trivial for Sakurai to start developing the characters after October and get them released by next May or so, when Splatoon has been out for a whole year. I think he would have to go out of his way to not include them as ballot DLC.

The costumes don't really weigh too heavily in it. They definitely rule out the Inklings as pre-ballot DLC, and there might be an issue with them resembling the characters so much, but I don't think Sakurai would pass up a character that's popular, recent, and unique in visuals and gameplay because they resemble a single pair of costumes for a single character.

The ink could be problematic on 3DS, though.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero

Want to make the female orange and male blue Inklings to be distinct from the costumes outside of the face, animations, attacks and idle pose (seriously, the way that Mii Gunner looks & Acts would make the costumes less resemblant than the Pit/Dark Pit issues of a similar look imo)? Give 'em the Hero suit.

Inklings were pretty strong in demand in Japan, the country that was hesitant about having that much demand for characters in a game that hadn't come out yet, if PushDustin's poll was any kind of barometer.

The costumes are a detourant for Inklings, yes. But raw popularity, game success, and potential in both costumes and moveset are things I feel are a combination that still make them a serious contender for the Ballot, if we are to see 3-5 characters out of it.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Which is interesting and could be true. Considering the original and Super Metroid did decent in Japan when it came to sales. Interesting that Fusion and onwards, sales declined in Japan while the states skyrocketed.
Fusion was a good presentation of the Super Metroid series 2D scrollers. Maybe their tastes and the states' tastes in what makes a great loner type game or if those games are appealing at all.

Also. Sweet. A presentation? Didn't see that coming. I think we'll get at least one character reveal knowing Sakurai. I feel Ryu could be the most likely if the leak is indeed true and finalized data. Or he could be saved for later at E3. Who knows. Definitely could see surprises that are unexpected as Sakurai is a master of it.
I was not expecting a presentation either, but I will gladly look at it. This means that something for Smash probably could be coming at E3, since that would help when making big announcements.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace

i wouldn't mind krystal

Burruni

Smash Hero
Say what if they reveal 2 games? Though I do think its about time they put out an original IP, despite wanting the return of K.Rool, I also think Retro is long overdue for making their own icon
Dark Samus, a character made entirely by Retro for the western-rooted Metroid trilogy getting an assist trophy imo is a bit impressive by itself, considering the mild xenophobia there appears to be about western-made characters.

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
And yet no assist trophy for DK, despite the numerous enemies that could be used, like Klubba's Klub swing, Zinger swarm, Bazooka etc.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Dark Samus, a character made entirely by Retro for the western-rooted Metroid trilogy getting an assist trophy imo is a bit impressive by itself, considering the mild xenophobia there appears to be about western-made characters.
I don't consider Dark Samus the icon I'm talking about, I'm talking about a studio created IP, that they become known for. I mean for sake of comparison by this time in their life span RARE even under Nintendo had Battle Toads alongside DK, and Banjo Kazooie as well. I'm just curious to see what they make if Nintendo let them do their own concept for a franchise, and they do have multiple teams now

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Say what if they reveal 2 games? Though I do think its about time they put out an original IP, despite wanting the return of K.Rool, I also think Retro is long overdue for making their own icon
I think they could DEFINITELY reveal two games. I checked out on Wikipedia and they had 100 employees as of July last year. That's an awful lot for just one game. Granted, I still think one of then is Diddy Kong Racing. Once DKR is completed, then I think they'll start development DKCR3.

I DO NOT think they're developing Metroid right now. Someone else, maybe, but not Retro. Their new game is either a new IP, or another franchise revival.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I don't consider Dark Samus the icon I'm talking about, I'm talking about a studio created IP, that they become known for. I mean for sake of comparison by this time in their life span RARE even under Nintendo had Battle Toads alongside DK, and Banjo Kazooie as well. I'm just curious to see what they make if Nintendo let them do their own concept for a franchise, and they do have multiple teams now
I agree.
They don't have an icon of their own series, yet.
But I, for one, am content with them picking up the slack of Nintendo's under-handled franchises for the time being and Dark Samus being one of few RS-made characters to get such a highlight is good.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
I think we'll only get two ballot character. Why? For the plain and simple reason that they have to think of the future and consider Smash 5, for which they WILL HAVE TO save newcomers for. If they don't, then be prepared for a bunch of B/C tiered Nintendo characters which won't generate s much hype. I'm sure that Smash 5 is being taken into consideration.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think we'll only get two ballot character. Why? For the plain and simple reason that they have to think of the future and consider Smash 5, for which they WILL HAVE TO save newcomers for. If they don't, then be prepared for a bunch of B/C tiered Nintendo characters which won't generate s much hype. I'm sure that Smash 5 is being taken into consideration.
5mash is a ways off, though. It won't be in this decade, that's for sure. Meanwhile, tons of Smash 4 newcomers were either new characters between Brawl/Smash 4, or older characters that got revitalized by new games. The only characters this doesn't apply to are Mii, Villager, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Duck Hunt, and arguably Bowser Jr. Who knows who will pop up between the games.

Last edited:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
5mash is a ways off, though. It won't be in this decade, that's for sure. Meanwhile, tons of Smash 4 newcomers were either new characters between Brawl/Smash 4, or older characters that got revitalized by new games. The only characters this doesn't apply to are Mii, Villager, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Duck Hunt, and arguably Bowser Jr. Who knows who will pop up between the games.
I don't think so. I think that by using Isaac, K Rool, Inkling, Dixie, etc, you're using up these A-tier legacy characters. They need to save some. Thus, I think only 2 will make it in, and I hope that they are Isaac and K Rool.

StormC

Smash Hero
I don't think so. I think that by using Isaac, K Rool, Inkling, Dixie, etc, you're using up these A-tier legacy characters. They need to save some. Thus, I think only 2 will make it in, and I hope that they are Isaac and K Rool.
I'm not saying we'll see a ton of ballot characters; 5 at the most. But there are definitely plenty of characters you could still add to 5mash even if you only picked the top 5 ballot requests.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yeah. Because Nintendo ALWAYS has great hindsight. Not to mention the amount of newcomers we have is lackluster, especially compared to Brawl

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
That's not how Sakurai works, though. Sakurai's idea is "do the best I can because it might be the last."

Sakurai ALWAYS assumes the current game is the last, he doesn't take into account that another might be made later.

From the NintendoZone Social thread
Wow... I really didn't think we could get DKCR3, but... maybe?

Or maybe its Diddy Kong Racing 3... since the DS game could count as 2.

That's pretty nifty. Hope we still get a Metroid regardless
I still don't think Retro specifically are doing Metroid. Someone else might, though.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I wonder how NeoGAF would react if Retro's next title was not just another DK game, but one that featured the retrun of the Kremling King?:p

Top Bottom