• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Burruni

Smash Hero
Um, Burruni, I was talking bout dem playable characters. I do think Wario should get a moveset revamp again (not specials), and more songs and stages representing Wario Land.
I know. :3
Representation can come in more than just playable characters.
The act is of ALL of Warioland + World, we now have just a generic throw and 1 song.

StormC

Smash Hero
Wario Land definitely warrants stages and trophies.

Ware is fine and all, but it seems like Sakurai doesn't consider Land to be anything but a Mario subseries, if he considered making Wario a Mario clone in Melee.

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
I will never understand the deal with Wario in Smash.

One of the bigger reasons I can see for Sakurai giving Warioware more attention than Land is because he feels like it differentiates Wario more from Mario, being a totally different genre with different gameplay, aesthetics, attitude and character, which is reasonable.

But then Wario's victory theme is a snippet from Wario Land, he had the bash in Brawl and quite a few of his moves are very obvious parodies of Mario's moves. I just don't get it.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Wario Land definitely warrants stages and trophies.

Ware is fine and all, but it seems like Sakurai doesn't consider Land to be anything but a Mario subseries, if he considered making Wario a Mario clone in Melee.
WRONG.

https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/04/13/the-definitive-unused-fighters-list-in-smash/

"Wario was planned for Melee. Sakurai has mentioned that he was concerned with overrepresentation of certain series, so some characters that were planned got dropped. Wario was the 3rd most popular character on the Smash 2 ballots (After Bowser and Peach). On a Melee site, Sakurai stated that if he had the time to add one more character, he would have added Wario (Japanese). See possible misinformation for additional information on Wario.

There is no reliable source for Wario actually being seriously, “considered for a Mario clone but he deserved better”. In addition, I haven’t been able to find hard sources on Japanese character discussion. Sakurai did say, “If I cut all the clone characters, I wouldn’t have been able to even add one new character. However, I could have made Wario using the same body shape and attacks as Mario” (Japanese). He also states that if he cut Roy and Marth or Mewtwo, he might have been able to add Wario, but the Mario representation was too much (Japanese). There’s nothing there that says Wario was cut for deserving better."

Last edited:
NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
I will never understand the deal with Wario in Smash.

One of the bigger reasons I can see for Sakurai giving Warioware more attention than Land is because he feels like it differentiates Wario more from Mario, being a totally different genre with different gameplay, aesthetics, attitude and character, which is reasonable.

But then Wario's victory theme is a snippet from Wario Land, he had the bash in Brawl and quite a few of his moves are very obvious parodies of Mario's moves. I just don't get it.
The Victory Theme originated in Brawl and must have been picked up by the Goodfeel composers for Shake It!! Wario is already completely differentiated from Wario in Land alone excluding Land 1 and Virtual Boy Land.

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
The Victory Theme originated in Brawl and must have been picked up by the Goodfeel composers for Shake It!! Wario is already completely differentiated from Wario in Land alone excluding Land 1 and Virtual Boy Land.
They couldn't even be arsed to take a theme from ANY Wario game to make his victory theme and just made something up? Just....wow.

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
Kirbopher claimed in a GameXplain video that, while he was playing the Smash Run demo at the Nintendo World Store, the Nintendo rep told him the mode would also feature bosses as events, including Kraid and "one of the large Kremling bosses from Donkey Kong."

Since videos had shown larger enemies appear as events like Bonkers and the Clobberskulls, people were debating whether the large Kremling was K. Rool himself or some big mook like Klump or Krusha.
Thinking back, it was very foolish of me to even heed his words.

The "Nintendo Rep" at Nintendo World Store is no more reliable then a Gamestop employee. I feel really dumb giving it the time of day.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I don't know if this has been posted here before, but regardless it's glorious.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
We should bring the topic back to King K. Rool. Anyone here first hear about him through something other than DKC and the other games he's been in.
I think my first experience with King K. Rool comes from collecting his Melee trophy. Didn't think too much of it at the time because I wasn't that big over Donkey Kong - only saw a few excerpts of the Donkey Kong Cartoon when I was younger, but didn't really give it much attention

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I first learned of K. Rool properly from MarioWiki. I never completed DKC as a child so I didn't even know he existed.

:231:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
King K.Rool intimidated me as a 4~5 year old, I remember that much. I thought to myself that I was never going to beat him. My mother eventually encouraged me, because she beat the game 100% (far before I did!). She wasn't a big fan of DKC2 or DKC3, but she loved the original, I remember that much.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I am not sure whether I first saw K. Rool in either DKC1 or DKC2, to be honest, but whichever one it was, when I first saw him, I became a fan of him since. I thought, and still think he is a cool villain.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
King K.Rool intimidated me as a 4~5 year old, I remember that much. I thought to myself that I was never going to beat him. My mother eventually encouraged me, because she beat the game 100% (far before I did!). She wasn't a big fan of DKC2 or DKC3, but she loved the original, I remember that much.
Wow...family gaming genes?
Damn son your geneticly B347T !

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
From what I have seen. The reason Metroid isn't that big in Japan, at least for the prime trilogy is because shooting games. Mostly FPS games don't appeal to them that much and they apparently get motion sick easily from moving the curser around a lot.

Could be. Although the show was pretty successful from my understanding in Japan.
That is true about the Prime Triology games, but maybe the regular Metroid games are not as popular because of the isolation feeling in the games?

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
IF SAKURAI host a smash direct.
I'm sure he will show some ballot message with so k.roool get chance

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
EDIT:
Looks like it's addressing the Lucas update before it goes live. Ball dropped.

Last edited:

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
EDIT:
Looks like it's addressing the Lucas update before it goes live. Ball dropped.
Its too long to be just that, and getting loose stuff out of the way before the E3 event would be a small move, and they said there is something more beyond the announced stuff. So I say wait and see

There is also the funny coincidence of it being the morning of the Nintendo World Championship, despite there still being a week until then. I believe there is something new to be shown, Ryu seems likely, though hey, K.Rool as a Ballot choice is possible as well

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Its too long to be just that, and getting loose stuff out of the way before the E3 event would be a small move, and they said there is something more beyond the announced stuff. So I say wait and see

There is also the funny coincidence of it being the morning of the Nintendo World Championship, despite there still being a week until then. I believe there is something new to be shown, Ryu seems likely, though hey, K.Rool as a Ballot choice is possible as well
They'll probably detail the Miiverse stage, Lucas, costumes and other aspects of the patch. There might be a surprise but we'll wait and see. I don't expect much from it either.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Let's hope there's more to it. I'd love this guy, Wolf, Ice Climbers or YLink to get announced. That's just wishful thinking on my part though.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'd think there would be more to it; I can't see them making an entire video, immediately before E3, which only details a character and stage that we already know about in detail.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Also this video is Officially part of their E3 lineup, this is THE Smash news for the entirety of the event, if anything is going to be announced, its here.

Like I said, I think K.Rool is possible, I believe they are going to pull characters from the ballot over the entire length of its running to start on, especially those with strong support so they can keep up a steady string of content, but there is nothing to do but wait and see

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Expecting a run-of-the-mill Roy reveal with some stages, pipe dream is any news about the ballot with a K. Rool model as the cherry on top.

StormC

Smash Hero
My first encounter with the croc was, I'm pretty sure, playing the final boss of DKC1 as a ~5 year old. I had never gotten past Gorilla Glacier as a little kid, but my cousin also owned DKC and had beaten the game, so whenever I visited him I would play the levels I could never get to myself. The Kredits certainly threw me for a loop.
Blastoise was once considered!? I knew it! :009:
Bowser clone where he spits water instead of fire.

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
K. Rool so fat he needs a whole direct for his announcement :denzel:.

(Nah, but seriously; K. Rool in Smash is the last thing I expect to see next week. He is indeed coming to Sm4sh, but he will come until the Ballot is over).

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
K. Rool so fat he needs a whole direct for his announcement :denzel:.

(Nah, but seriously; K. Rool in Smash is the last thing I expect to see next week. He is indeed coming to Sm4sh, but he will come until the Ballot is over).
You know, I really hope they clear out some things about the Ballot in this smash mini-direct, because there is so much stuff causing doubting and problems. I still believe the reason it is so long is because they want to pull multiple characters from it, over the length of the ballot to show they are listening to the fans

Well wait and see I guess

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm hoping for a message along the lines of "ever since we opened this Smash Ballot since April, we have been reading your requests from all over the world and are already in the process of deciding characters. Please stay tuned for further information."

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
At best I think we'll be getting details about extra modes.

It's pretty silly to think they would play the character reveal card in a separate presentation that's not E3.

Then again, might this be an excuse to not show any Smash content in the Digital Event?

Who knows.

Mewtwoultima

Smash Apprentice
That is true about the Prime Triology games, but maybe the regular Metroid games are not as popular because of the isolation feeling in the games?
Which is interesting and could be true. Considering the original and Super Metroid did decent in Japan when it came to sales. Interesting that Fusion and onwards, sales declined in Japan while the states skyrocketed.

Also. Sweet. A presentation? Didn't see that coming. I think we'll get at least one character reveal knowing Sakurai. I feel Ryu could be the most likely if the leak is indeed true and finalized data. Or he could be saved for later at E3. Who knows. Definitely could see surprises that are unexpected as Sakurai is a master of it.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
Which is interesting and could be true. Considering the original and Super Metroid did decent in Japan when it came to sales. Interesting that Fusion and onwards, sales declined in Japan while the states skyrocketed.

Also. Sweet. A presentation? Didn't see that coming. I think we'll get at least one character reveal knowing Sakurai. I feel Ryu could be the most likely if the leak is indeed true and finalized data. Or he could be saved for later at E3. Who knows. Definitely could see surprises that are unexpected as Sakurai is a master of it.
Inb4 shrek and goku come in tag-teamed Shrek with a Roy costume/victory theme and Goku with a Ryu cosplay/victory theme. What level of Sakurai trolling would it come to?

StormC

Smash Hero
Metroid being heavily inspired by western sci-fi (mainly Alien) probably alienated a lot of Japanese players.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
At best I think we'll be getting details about extra modes.

It's pretty silly to think they would play the character reveal card in a separate presentation that's not E3.

Then again, might this be an excuse to not show any Smash content in the Digital Event?

Who knows.
This is exactly why I think this is happening. Its separate because Smash is already out, and they've got a lot of things to announce just for Smash. But in the digital Event, they want it to focus on new games coming out.

Top Bottom