• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Zynux

Smash Lord
Considering the design of the rest of the cast, I'm sure K. Rool will be done justice aesthetically.

My bet would be he will look like as he does in DK64, since Smash references DK64 a lot.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Oops :facepalm: sorry about that.
There's a difference between a cosmetic that, thus far hasn't been shown to do anything and a body part that grants a character an ability.
I wasn't really referring to the cape so much as I was referring to the idea of wanting K.Rool regardless of what's done to him balance wise, moveset wise, ect.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Oops :facepalm: sorry about that.

I wasn't really referring to the cape so much as I was referring to the idea of wanting K.Rool regardless of what's done to him balance wise, moveset wise, ect.
The second part was more my say on the matter than a direct reply hence the space.

StormC

Smash Hero
Considering the design of the rest of the cast, I'm sure K. Rool will be done justice aesthetically.

My bet would be he will look like as he does in DK64, since Smash references DK64 a lot.
Hmmm, maybe. It's hard to say, there's no real precedent that could predict what he would look like. Diddy didn't use his PAON design, but K. Rool's PAON design (or at least elements of it, like the jewel on the cape) have become pretty standard for fanart depiction. I hadn't thought about Smash referencing DK64 though, that's a really good point.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'd like to think that K. Rool would resemble his "modern" appearance (which does look very similar to his N64 design) in Sm4sh, but updated, as well as restyled to fit with the rest of the cast, of course.

Rattle-Kalimba

Smash Apprentice
I hope this time they will give him his tail.It's so weird that he a an alligator doesn't have one. Maybe it to hard to animate because of his cape.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I don't know....the long tail has always sort of looked off-putting to me.

Maybe it's because I was more used to seeing him with a super short and stubby tail for a long time, but it just looks weird to me.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
There's been talk in here before about how K. Rool has so many different move options, there's no way all of them could be fit into a single moveset (a realistic one, at least). So, keeping in line with the great playstyle discussion we've had over the past few days, I thought I'd map out what moves K. Rool could be given for an assigned playstyle, instead of giving him moves and drawing a playstyle around them.

[COLLAPSE="Ranged Projectile-Based Heavyweight Playstyle"]
Ranged Projectile-Based Heavyweight Playstyle:
K. Rool gets his crown toss as Side Special, a blunderbuss cannonball as Neutral Special, and a Klaptrap Release as Down Special. The crown is a quick boomerang projectile with good range, traveling through foes to potentially hit them twice in one throw. The cannonball is a faster, weaker projectile than Jr's, but K. Rool charge this move twice as long as Jr. can, getting the option for great damage and knockback at maximum charge. Stunning foes briefly with K. Rool's crown allows him to charge up his cannonball more, although it damages him at maximum charge. Klaptraps latch onto foes and slow them down briefly, dealing light damage and making it more difficult for foes to get up in K. Rool's face and combo him.

In this playstyle, K. Rool's dash is better than average, allowing him to run off and use his projectiles more effectively. His recovery, however, is a combination of short and gimpable, and his standards are rather punishable, especially when his aerials land onstage. His standards are also geared toward throwing foes back into projectile range with decent knockback, rather than racking up damage.[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Trap-Based Heavyweight Playstyle"]
Trap-Based Heavyweight Playstyle:
K. Rool gets his spiky cannonball as Neutral Special, his electric pods as Side Special, and his raining cannonball as Down Special. Spiky cannonballs can function either as Uniras or as sitting spike traps; once placed, the traps could either be moved around by attacking, throwing, or if the player holds B instead of tapping it, K. Rool uses his vacuum to pull it back in for repositioning. Electric pods would send forward a horizontal beam of electricity at a slow speed, pushing foes back with multiple hits or juggling them on top. With Down Special, K. Rool stomps once, readying a cannonball, then, with a second stomp, the ball rains down wherever he stomped previously for good damage/knockback (like an aerial sort of C4, in a way). The first two traps would function mostly as damage-builders, while the latter can be a KO move.

In this playstyle, K. Rool moves a little more slowly while dashing to help offset the prolonged range his traps grant him. In return, he gains a more effective Snake-like recovery, as well as a better blend of damage and knockback in his standards. His standards here can work for melee combat in a pinch, but are mostly for hitting foes into traps as well as KOing them while they're busy dealing with said traps.[/COLLAPSE]

In both playstyles, K. Rool is at least Bowser's weight if not slightly heavier, and is at least his size, if not slightly larger. His survivability is amazing, but his vulnerability to combo characters is high as well.

For a hybrid like we'd ideally get, K. Rool would keep his crown toss as well as one or both cannonball-based traps, and have a blend between the stats and standards of the two versions.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion

I hope so. I miss the tail and golden belly.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What's wrong, you were about to reference the king's glorious dong? :troll:
Not his, per se.
But the concept of "body part granting a character an ability" just opens up for a joke about that particular body part granting the ability to attract women. :awesome:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Would you guys find it weird if I saw a dream tlast night where I saw K.Rool being announced to be confirmed in one Youtube-video by GameExplain (?)

Didn't see any footage over ads though. :p

Mewtwoultima

Smash Apprentice
Look, the game JUST LAUNCHED. We don't know anything more after that. However, they were leary about Inklings before the game launched. That's why I'm saying its likely (NOT stated) that they may not necessarily want Inklings in just yet. We haven't heard anything else from the Japanese fanbase since then; at least as far as I'm aware.
I know. I even said you had a good point. Just because they're to recent doesn't mean people feel they can't be in or want them to be in. Why do so many Amnericans want Inkling even before the game came out? They clearly had an appeal in design, move set potental, and one they feel could be a logical candidate for a future installment. Besides, sakurai added Greninja before x and y came out and added Roy in melee as advertisement for the series and the newest installment and a Yoshi wolly world stage WAY before the game came out. Even added Lucario and Ike for brawl when their games were about to come out. I get where your going and it's interesting seeing their thoughts on Inkling right now. But the series clearly has a lot of interest and hype among western gamers. That's why I was curious if anyone has found a more recent post ballot estimation for Japanese wants. That's all.

Given Japan's bigger desire for veterans to come back, I'm skeptical of any of these characters actually getting many votes besides K. Rool and maybe Krystal.
I agree. Especially since Metroid isn't that big over there and Ridley wasn't a highly desired character. Like Little Mac however, they acknowledge how requested he is in the states. Dixie kong makes sense I feel because she seems to be universally liked and wanted, but K.Rool has the upper hand in terms of priority over Diddles. Surprised to see how requested Krystal is over in Japan, didn't expect that. I remember Lucas and Wolf being on the top from my understanding. Seems iffy, if correct in some cases. Is Daisy or Ray MK very demanded in Japan from anyone's understanding or is it because of the western fanbase? I don't recall Ray MK ever being demanded. Back in the brawl days, he did.
There was one post PushDustin translated where the Japanese user was laughing at Westerners for rallying behind a character whose game wasn't even out yet. Thing is, most Japanese results aren't up-to-date...that pie chart came before the ballot, and the "Japanese popularity" source most people used prior to it was a post Chronobound made in 2011. On top of that, it seems "popularity" over there is just "how many times was this character mentioned on random websites?"

Just so long as K. Rool maintains a fair amount of support in Japan, massive support in the West could be enough to seal the deal for him, in the same vein as Sonic or Little Mac.
True, but it did give a decent, if inaccurate result on who was bog or wanted in Japan. Heck, all the characters according to their top 5 most wanted got in the game except Roy and K.Rool. If the leak is indeed true, that would leave only K.Rool as the remaining one on their list.

Exactly. Although Sonic was wanted a lot everywhere else, just not as much as in the west.
What might be pushing most of K. Rool's support in Japan is how popular he is in the West. Japanese fans who think he is unlikely remember that we got Little Mac, who mainly was supported by those in the West, and see this as an opportunity to connect with Universal K. Rool fans and make our dream tangible. It is easy to think your character is not likely and lose motivation to support them when it looks like no else would, but seeing other fans across the world really does wonders for rallying up morale.
I see, but there wasn't much demand for Ridley according to rough estimations while K.Rool got a lot, which surprised me. Since I thought he appealed more to western fans.
I see it being an inverse situation regarding Palutena pre-Smash 4. By most accounts, Palutena was in Japan's top 5 requests for Smash 4, whereas she was somewhat more middling in the west. Of course, Sakurai bias played a role too, but y'know.
Japanese fans like Kid Icarus a lot just like they do fire emblem and how Lucina is very popular over there.

Also, as for K.Rools cape, shouldn't be that hard to implement. Ganondorf has his cape and it functions perfectly fine.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I know. I even said you had a good point. Just because they're to recent doesn't mean people feel they can't be in or want them to be in. Why do so many Amnericans want Inkling even before the game came out? They clearly had an appeal in design, move set potental, and one they feel could be a logical candidate for a future installment. Besides, sakurai added Greninja before x and y came out and added Roy in melee as advertisement for the series and the newest installment and a Yoshi wolly world stage WAY before the game came out. Even added Lucario and Ike for brawl when their games were about to come out. I get where your going and it's interesting seeing their thoughts on Inkling right now. But the series clearly has a lot of interest and hype among western gamers. That's why I was curious if anyone has found a more recent post ballot estimation for Japanese wants. That's all.

I agree. Especially since Metroid isn't that big over there and Ridley wasn't a highly desired character. Like Little Mac however, they acknowledge how requested he is in the states. Dixie kong makes sense I feel because she seems to be universally liked and wanted, but K.Rool has the upper hand in terms of priority over Diddles. Surprised to see how requested Krystal is over in Japan, didn't expect that. I remember Lucas and Wolf being on the top from my understanding. Seems iffy, if correct in some cases. Is Daisy or Ray MK very demanded in Japan from anyone's understanding or is it because of the western fanbase? I don't recall Ray MK ever being demanded. Back in the brawl days, he did.

True, but it did give a decent, if inaccurate result on who was bog or wanted in Japan. Heck, all the characters according to their top 5 most wanted got in the game except Roy and K.Rool. If the leak is indeed true, that would leave only K.Rool as the remaining one on their list.

Exactly. Although Sonic was wanted a lot everywhere else, just not as much as in the west.

I see, but there wasn't much demand for Ridley according to rough estimations while K.Rool got a lot, which surprised me. Since I thought he appealed more to western fans.

Japanese fans like Kid Icarus a lot just like they do fire emblem and how Lucina is very popular over there.
Pokemon DP and FE9 were released before Brawl
The Japanese know about Ridley. They had no idea who Little Mac was
Sonic as a whole is MUCH more popular in the west
K.Rool is a fan favourite EVERYWHERE, Ridley was definitely requested enough for Sakurai to say why he didn't make it in
False, Kid Icarus isn't that popular. Otherwise Myth and Monsters would have been released in Japan

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Even FE10 was released before Brawl. I played a ****ton of Radiant Dawn before Brawl came out, believe me I know. :4myfriends:

Donkey Kong Jr

Smash Cadet
There's a case to be made that people are tired of a character they perceive to be a frontrunner, but if that's the case, where's all the antipathy toward Isaac? Or Inkling? Or any of the random indies (for reasons other than their obscurity)?
I don't know how much weight this carries since I'm only basing this off of my time on gamefaqs, but I get the impression that part of it may have to do with the supposed "entitlement" of DK fans in addition to criticism directed towards the roster.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I believe it is because the Donkey Kong Country games are liked more over seas than the Metroid games. Take Little Mac for example, he is hardly known in Japan and may were surprised he made it in. There were some Little Mac fans, but they were low in number compared to the Western audience. Ridley is also one of those characters, that appeals more to Western fans than Japanese. King K. Rool is a character that is well liked in the West and Japan mostly because they like his games or just like his quirky nature.

I am guessing here, but maybe Japan likes King K. Rool's villainous attitude, since they like Wario's attitude and he has the same goofy fashion of our Kremling King.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think he means Ike and Lucario were picked in development before their games were out, though that actually isn't the case for Ike as POR had been out for months before Brawl started development.

I am guessing here, but maybe Japan likes King K. Rool's villainous attitude, since they like Wario's attitude and he has the same goofy fashion of our Kremling King.
The cartoon was also more popular in Japan than anywhere else in the world, so that could definitely contribute.

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I don't know how much weight this carries since I'm only basing this off of my time on gamefaqs, but I get the impression that part of it may have to do with the supposed "entitlement" of DK fans in addition to criticism directed towards the roster.
I think it's also because DK is an already (albeit somewhat poorly) represented series. As a result, people are upset that a character from an already represented series is getting such a following while their unrepresented series is not.

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
I never got where the DK is poorly represented thing comes from. I always thought he got an adequate amount of attention.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I never got where the DK is poorly represented thing comes from. I always thought he got an adequate amount of attention.
DK is a series with around 30 games in it.
Kid Icarus (a series with only 3 games) has more content in SSB4 than Donkey Kong. And Donkey Kong (as a series) hadn't been MIA for as long as Kid Icarus was.
DK's even seen appearances in several Mario spin-off titles and the Game and Watch gallery games.
I'd honestly expect DK to have a lot more content given the numerous appearances.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You probably think that the Donkey Kong series is a mere sub-series to Mario, am I right?

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
You probably think that the Donkey Kong series is a mere sub-series to Mario, am I right?
Though I know this gets joked about a lot, technically speaking, it's the reverse, isn't it? Mario's series was spun off from Donkey Kong's, not the other way around... :grin:

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
DK doesn't have an assist trophy. That's the biggest one for me. It's not like DK lacks characters like Wii Fit, Game and Watch or Duck Hunt. At the least, DK should have Rambi or one of the other Kongs as an assist trophy.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
DK doesn't have an assist trophy. That's the biggest one for me. It's not like lacks DK likes characters like Wii Fit, Game and Watch or Duck Hunt. At the least DK, should have Rambi or one of the other Kongs as an assist trophy.
I got SO MAD when the Chunky Kong AT was proofed to be fake btw.

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
7 remixes of the same theme, jungle stages only and no AT
There are also lots of other DK songs included in the game too. And to be honest I think Jungles best represent DK, as that's what he mostly has in his games anyway. We've got lots of other tropes covered in Smash and DK seems to be the only franchise to my knowledge that does jungles frequently.

I know DK has lots of other stuff to draw from, but it would be pretty weird having a factory or a beehive represent apes as their home stage. I do agree that DK needs an assist, though.

DK is a series with around 30 games in it.
Kid Icarus (a series with only 3 games) has more content in SSB4 than Donkey Kong. And Donkey Kong (as a series) hadn't been MIA for as long as Kid Icarus was.
DK's even seen appearances in several Mario spin-off titles and the Game and Watch gallery games.
I'd honestly expect DK to have a lot more content given the numerous appearances.
Kid Icarus has 2 characters and then a clone character which took no effort, and then a new stage on Wii U and 3ds. I'd say there is a pretty balanced amount of content between the two. I guess DK should get a bit more attention as its been around longer and is more popular, but what can you do.

No, not at all. Its much greater than that.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
There are also lots of other DK songs included in the game too. And to be honest I think Jungles best represent DK, as that's what he mostly has in his games anyway. We've got lots of other tropes covered in Smash and DK seems to be the only franchise to my knowledge that does jungles frequently.

I know DK has lots of other stuff to draw from, but it would be pretty weird having a factory or beehive represent apes as their home stage. I do agree with you on assists, though.

Kid Icarus has 2 characters and then a clone character which took no effort, and then a new stage on Wii U and 3ds. I'd say there is a pretty balanced amount of content between the two. I guess DK should get a bit more attention as its been around longer and is more popular, but what can you do.

Having one of the many factory levels would be nice, or a pirate ship, or a laboratory, or a volcano, etc
Kid Icarus has 2 unique characters like DK
Kid Icarus has differently themed stages because Reset Bomb Forest. DK only gets jungles
Kid Icarus has a large varied selection of themes. Most of the DK themes are the same
Kid Icarus has 2 ATs. DK doesn't have any

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

I know DK has lots of other stuff to draw from, but it would be pretty weird having a factory or a beehive represent apes as their home stage. I do agree that DK needs an assist, though.

Kid Icarus also has loads of items, assist trophies, Palutena's Guidance and enemies in Smash Run.
That's already loads more than DK.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Yeah, I'm just reading this topic about the K. Rool post on Miiverse, and it's already got a bunch of users coming in to say that "K. Rool fans never shut up and they force the character on people." It's like they're unaware they can simply close out of topics they don't want to read. Or, more likely, they're just more User/Rayquaza troll alts trying to stay relevant.

I think the complaints mostly just come from non-fans who look at DK, see monkeys in jungles, then see monkeys and jungles in Smash and think "lol why are they angry, that's adequate representation." It's adequate...just like the Mario Bros. in a grassy plain would be adequate. (Or Pit in Skyworld...)

Last edited:
Top Bottom