• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Bowser's plenty strong. He's invulnerable to almost everything in most games - you have to dunk him into his own lava pit just to beat him, or else toss a ton of missiles at him before he finally keels over.

At any rate, I doubt K. Rool will be fast, strong and have great range - that'd be quite unbalanced without a huge nerf to something else. He could be the middling heavyweight option (like a really big, scaly Pit), except even then his stats would have to be "okay all around" rather than "exceptional all around".

I expect he'll either be a lightning bruiser like Bowser or a heavy ranged fighter like Snake. I'd be happy with either~
True but K. Rool did survive being eaten by sharks, plus Bowser is always involved with sorcery and magic from kamek and his kids which helps keep him going. They both have very good armor on them though. (Bowser's shell and K. Rool's golden plate and thick scales)

I hope it's the lightning bruiser like Bowser

Yeah, I can definitely get behind the notion that he's big and reasonably fast for a heavyweight. His physical hits could be weaker than others' to compensate for his impressive range.

Again, kinda like Pit: fast and has good range, though he's lacking in the power department.
I only request that he's stronger physically than DK at least.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I just watched his four boss battles and K. Rool does not strike me as fast. At the end of his first two bosses, his speed increases as he is near death. Otherwise he is very animated, but during most of his battle not exceedingly quick.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
For some reason i dont think he is gonna be that strong..or as strong as some people here think he is gonna be.

Would it be more weired if he wasent as strong as you thought if he gets added or not as fast?

Hew basicly gonna be like Bowser?
Is that what you want..i mean..is that what most people want for K.Rool to be?

Im curious now..

Although yes he is strong and fast so it would be pretty Canon and suited if he is fast and strong like bowser...but i want him to have some combo's/follow ups..and not huge end lag on all moves even aerials..
Bowser is pretty boring...

I dont want him to be boring..i want him to be as fun as Ganon.

I would prefer really strong and i dont mind if he is slow..
Although i know he wont be as strong as Ganon lol..

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Breaking news! lucas, inkling costumes, and the mii verse stage has a release date! check out the link on the bottom smile emoticon And another thing i want to mention guys, If you went to the smash bros website when mewtwo was shown, do you know that character screen on the very bottom? That empty slot right next to mewtwo, was filled by lucas which means.... THERE ARE A TOTAL OF 4 MORE DLC CHARACTERS TO COME! look at etikas video explaining the theory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfthppOnIsc

Now go on the main website of where lucas is shown. Look at the bottom of the page! its taken by lucas! this confirms we have 4 more DLC characters!

http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/lucas.html

King k rool might have a chance!!! since inklings are deconfirmed and they were pretty high up on the list, that just makes king k rool's chances even better than ever! if rumors are true, that would count roy and ryu ( if true ). Then which means two more characters are still to come. Keep voting for k rool! We are so close everybody :D!!, Im really feeling it guys! Kroc the vote! Long live the king!!!
Inklings aren't deconfirmed. Just because they got a costume doesn't mean anything, they play so differently from Gunners. Also this theory is stupid in my mind. What keeps them from adding more slots.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I just watched his four boss battles and K. Rool does not strike me as fast. At the end of his first two bosses, his speed increases as he is near death. Otherwise he is very animated, but during most of his battle not exceedingly quick.
I'm pretty sure that's typical for a lot of boss battles, they gotta speed and up it up if they want to beat their enemy. In DK64 though he was already running around pretty quick, it was tough when it got to Lanky and Chunky's part especially.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
This is why the idea of him having a speed aura mechanic is great.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
For some reason i dont think he is gonna be that strong..or as strong as some people here think he is gonna be.

Would it be more weired if he wasent as strong as you thought if he gets added or not as fast?

Hew basicly gonna be like Bowser?
Is that what you want..i mean..is that what most people want for K.Rool to be?

Im curious now..

Although yes he is strong and fast so it would be pretty Canon and suited if he is fast and strong like bowser...but i want him to have some combo's/follow ups..and not huge end lag on all moves even aerials..
Bowser is pretty boring...

I dont want him to be boring..i want him to be as fun as Ganon.

I would prefer really strong and i dont mind if he is slow..
Although i know he wont be as strong as Ganon lol..
I actually find Bowser more fun than Ganon only because he moves quicker, of course Ganon is still fun to play as if you know how to use him right.

I'd rather him be cannon than not but either way I'd play as him.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think in terms of running speed K. Rool should be slower than Diddy and DK. His other movements should come from his special abilities.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
No way, he runs faster than them at the start, crocodiles are faster than apes even on land.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Hmmm...you are right..guess he is not as fast as i thought.
Im ok with that..although he must be strong or i will legitly be pissed.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
No way, he runs faster than them at the start, crocodiles are faster than apes even on land.
DK and Diddy are faster than him for most of the first battle. Just watch the battles.

* Crocodiles and apes are faster than hedgehogs.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Hmmm true..well as far as the ones in smash.
Although Wolf and Mewtwo / Metaknight are not that slow expecialy Metalnight he is fast!
But yh they are not really Villans..or has been..

If only Ridley made it.
Ridley would be a great air and power villain that's for sure. I don't why but but all the heavyweights seem to hit pretty hard to me anyway, even Dedede's smash A hammer attacks, then again maybe it's just because I'm really good at playing as them, I'm sure K. Rool would feel no different. I mean, it's only logical that big guys hit harder than the lighter ones.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think Bowser might be faster in his boss battles. As Mario you have to dodge left or right to avoid his rampage. If you try to outpace him straight on you will lose.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Bowser seems to always run at the same speed in super mario 64 even when he gets closer to being beaten. Like you said, at least K. Rool upgrades as it progresses.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Bowser seems to always run at the same speed in super mario 64 even when he gets closer to being beaten. Like you said, at least K. Rool upgrades as it progresses.
Aura Speed would be very unique and Crazy lol.

But if it results in a power nerf at high percents for balance then No thank you.

I am a power junkie.
Basicly the opposite of Lucario

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Thing is, do remember that balance is an issue. That's why Ike isn't heavy, strong and fast like he is in Fire Emblem. Yeah, a bit of a speed boost wouldn't go amiss, but if he was exactly as he is in canon, he'd be insane - hackin' and slashin' and runnin' and jumpin' like nobody's business!

You could make K. Rool a glass cannon: fast, strong, good range, falls apart at the slightest touch. That'd come at the cost of his heaviness, of course, and I don't think that'd work very well in execution. He'd just be a much bigger Villager. Not to mention the fact that large size and light weight is a terrible combination.

Alternatively, K. Rool's drawback could be startup and / or endlag on his moves (taking out and putting away those gadgets and gizmos takes time, after all), or it could be that all of his moves can backfire and do damage to him if he's not careful (charge the blunderbuss for too long and it explodes, toss the krown and you're unable to move, etc). I actually think that could be a very interesting gimmick, and it'd make K. Rool a very unpredictable and dangerous fighter - not just for his opponent, but for himself as well. You can't get more true to his character than that, can you?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Bowser is faster than Mario in most boss battles while DK/Diddy/Dixie is faster than K. Rool in most battles. Smash 4 showcases how Bowser is a much faster runner than Mario.

*Also in Kart games, he is usually one of the fastest although that is a different matter.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Bowser is faster than Mario in most boss battles while DK/Diddy/Dixie is faster than K. Rool in most battles. Smash 4 showcases how Bowser is a much faster runner than Mario.

*Also in Kart games, he is usually one of the fastest although that is a different matter.
I disagree with that if he was faster than DK/Diddy/Dixie in most battles then I would'nt have so much trouble beating him the first 4 or 5 times(and 20 in DKC2) people on youtube just make it look easy because they've played the games enough times to time it right.

I could argue that he feels the same in mario kart games.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Bowser has the game's fourteenth fastest dash and Charizard has the seventh fastest. Let's not fall into the trap of saying heavyweights have to be slow to not be "overpowered," because look at those two...they could do well with a K. Rool-esque projectile or two to keep up with the faster characters.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
In DKC1 and DK64 he's decently fast. In DKC2 and DKC3 he moves slow but he doesn't move in the same way he did in the other two games, either.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ridley would be a great air and power villain that's for sure. I don't why but but all the heavyweights seem to hit pretty hard to me anyway, even Dedede's smash A hammer attacks, then again maybe it's just because I'm really good at playing as them, I'm sure K. Rool would feel no different. I mean, it's only logical that big guys hit harder than the lighter ones.
I doubt Ridley would be a heavyweight. LOOK at his figure! The anorexic bugger needs to eat a sandwich every now and then

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I doubt Ridley would be a heavyweight. LOOK at his figure! The anorexic bugger needs to eat a sandwich every now and then
Ridley is tricky..some should say he should be strong but most agree he should be fast.
But he cant be fast and strong..
Well bowser is..
So is Mewtwo in the pokemon games.
But not so much in Smash...

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I can see K. Rool as having a running speed similar to Mario's running speed. Perhaps his attacks could move him similar to King DeDeDe's down tilt where he rolls and Wolf's Smash where he slides with an extended claw.

I can see him using his attacks and specials for quirky movements that vary from his average run.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
I was just speculating earlier about the 4 spots thing. I don't hold any SERIOUS opinion on exactly how many more characters there will be : P. How are the Donkey Kong Land games for the gameboy by the way? I'm thinking of getting the first one for my 3ds and playing through it...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I was just speculating earlier about the 4 spots thing. I don't hold any SERIOUS opinion on exactly how many more characters there will be : P. How are the Donkey Kong Land games for the gameboy by the way? I'm thinking of getting the first one for my 3ds and playing through it...
First one is mixed. You have to get all the KONG letters in a level just to save. The other two are better, though, I also dislike how in DKL3 you have to do Time Trial just to get 103% (you can't even get 100% without Time Trial).

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I'm thinking of getting the first one for my 3ds and playing through it...
If you ask me, the first Donkey Kong Land is really the only worthwhile one. :p

That said, I am a bit biased: I never liked 2 and 3, as I felt that they tried too hard to be something they weren't and consequently ended up feeling off somehow, and I didn't like the change in graphical style, either...

StormC

Smash Hero
DKL is the most unique and creative but the other two are far more polished.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
If you ask me, the first Donkey Kong Land is really the only worthwhile one. :p

That said, I am a bit biased: I never liked 2 and 3, as I felt that they tried too hard to be something they weren't and consequently ended up feeling off somehow, and I didn't like the change in graphical style, either...
Lol. Honestly, I think DKL2/3 are better than 1.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
Well I guess I'll just have to play them all LOL. They're different than the DKC series by a fair amount I assume?

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well I guess I'll just have to play them all LOL. They're different than the DKC series by a fair amount I assume?
All of them are, yes, even DKL2. DKL2's only similarity with DKC2 are the names.

DKL is interesting in that it has different level themes from DKC, so there is that.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Lol. Honestly, I think DKL2/3 are better than 1.
It's funny, really, as I've observed this before. It seems that people who like the first one don't necessarily like the other two, and vice versa. :laugh:

I should say that I can't knock the quality of 2 and 3 - it's just that I just didn't mesh with them nearly as well as 1. They're definitely good games (and I did finish them both), simply not so much for me as the first was.

Zynux

Smash Lord
Bowser has the game's fourteenth fastest dash and Charizard has the seventh fastest. Let's not fall into the trap of saying heavyweights have to be slow to not be "overpowered," because look at those two...they could do well with a K. Rool-esque projectile or two to keep up with the faster characters.
That's just run speed though, which is largely inconsequential.

What's far more important is the startup and ending/landing lag of his moves, which will take a larger role in determining how fast the character will be overall.

K. Rool being reasonably fast (for a heavyweight) with projectiles is possible if you make him not terribly powerful (low damage % output and low knockback).

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
That's just run speed though, which is largely inconsequential.

What's far more important is the startup and ending/landing lag of his moves, which will take a larger role in determining how fast the character will be overall.

K. Rool being reasonably fast (for a heavyweight) with projectiles is possible if you make him not terribly powerful (low damage % output and low knockback).
Too true; I assume people are referring to dash speed when they claim a character should be "slower than DK," but attack speed is of more importance in the grand scheme of things. In that regard, K. Rool having a good mix of faster and slower moves like any heavyweight would keep him viable.

King_K_Rules

Smash Journeyman
So I saw Steve Mayles has a twitter now, I now he's part of Playtonic and Playtonic already retweeted support for K. Rool in the ballot, but should we try to get Steve Mayles to retweet?

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
As far as potential K.Rool playstyle goes, I'd want him to be basically a faster, stronger Bowser with a more generalized focus (using both long-ranged projectiles and close-ranged fisticuffs), since the new Bowser's already a pretty solid base to modify heavily into K.Rool.

Obviously, his downside would be that generalization; K.Rool would be basically the Mario of the heavyweight fighters; Bowser is brute strength, Charizard has better aerial mobility, Dedede is the good recoverer, K.Rool is the middle ground of all of them; not particularly excellent in one area, but not deficient in any.

He'd also have the prerequisite heavyweight superarmor, of course, but I think the new Bowser works very well as a template for use in making K.Rool with the required modifications.
I think this is somewhat contradictory and mostly wishful thinking. If K Rool gets the tools and projectiles then there is no way he will (or should) hit harder than Bowser does. My view for him is the following:

- Modestly fast tilts. Similar or slightly faster than Bowser, with less damage and knockback; Up Tilt being the exception and slightly stronger but only hitting in front of K Rool (64 Uppercut) compared to Bowser's Claw Swipe.

- Weaker Smashes. Still nothing to scoff at, but K Rool shouldn't be able to KO as early as other heavyweights when he has so much more to work with.

- Good recovery distance-wise, but easier to edge-guard.

- Good zoning tools.

- Gets comboed for days.

In my head at least, K Rool is like a mix between Bowser and ROB.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
King K Rool vs Isaac vs Inkling. I think that these three characters are the top 3 strongest contenders on the ballot right now.

Mewtwoultima

Smash Apprentice
King K Rool vs Isaac vs Inkling. I think that these three characters are the top 3 strongest contenders on the ballot right now.
I agree. While Japan and Europes results are probably different. I feel K,Rool is a top 5 choice in Japan. Does anyone know the rough estimations for Europe and Japan's Ballot choices? I feel the results are similar to ours, especially K.Rool and Inkling. Isaac also has gotten strong support in the states it seems.

Those three I feel have better chances than other candidates such as Shovel Knight and Banjo Kazooie. If momentum on K.Rool keeps up. He could very well be the equivalent to Bowser in melee, Sonic in brawl, and Megaman in ssb4, where all three were highly desired characters for those installments and dominated the polls. K.Rool could be just that for the ballot if all goes according to plan.

Top Bottom