• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I agree. While Japan and Europes results are probably different. I feel K,Rool is a top 5 choice in Japan. Does anyone know the rough estimations for Europe and Japan's Ballot choices? I feel the results are similar to ours, especially K.Rool and Inkling. Isaac also has gotten strong support in the states it seems.

Those three I feel have better chances than other candidates such as Shovel Knight and Banjo Kazooie. If momentum on K.Rool keeps up. He could very well be the equivalent to Bowser in melee, Sonic in brawl, and Megaman in ssb4, where all three were highly desired characters for those installments and dominated the polls. K.Rool could be just that for the ballot if all goes according to plan.
Well K Rool in America is number 1. I believe K Rool places first before other newcomers in Japan since they mostly want vets (Japan is weird), and he's probably fairly high in Europe as well. Isaac is usually number 2.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I agree. While Japan and Europes results are probably different. I feel K,Rool is a top 5 choice in Japan. Does anyone know the rough estimations for Europe and Japan's Ballot choices? I feel the results are similar to ours, especially K.Rool and Inkling. Isaac also has gotten strong support in the states it seems.

Those three I feel have better chances than other candidates such as Shovel Knight and Banjo Kazooie. If momentum on K.Rool keeps up. He could very well be the equivalent to Bowser in melee, Sonic in brawl, and Megaman in ssb4, where all three were highly desired characters for those installments and dominated the polls. K.Rool could be just that for the ballot if all goes according to plan.
Based on what we've heard, Inklings didn't have very good support in Japan mostly because "they're game wasn't even out yet". It is out now, but I think they're still probably leary about it in Smash because it just needs to have its own identity for a while instead of relying on other things.

Isaac in Japan was in the Top 10 newcomers in PushDustin's analysis, but he was low. It wasn't anything to scoff at, he was still decently high, but he's not anywhere close to Isaac's western support. As for recently, it probably hasn't changed much. A new Golden Sun game would be required to improve him in Japan probably.

IggyKoopa66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keemie
How would you all feel if Fredrik was a K. Rool alt? I mean he basically is a dime store version of the Kremling King.

For myself I'd feel pretty upset... As I feel that K. Rool is a major enough player in his own series to not warrant an alt. I kind of feel that Olimar was big enough not to have an alt of a newer character, but we all see how that turned out. I was okay with Bowser Jr. having the Koopalings as Alts because that justifies his being in the game, being just a sidekick to Bowser. When it comes to Fredrik, I'm going to have to say just give K. Rool his clothes...much like some of the mock-ups have been doing rather than giving that poor man's K. Rool any action. (And hey, I'll second K. Rool stealing Fredrik's bull charge technique. What's good for the goose is good for the gander)

StormC

Smash Hero
Pretty sure Wolf is winning Japanese polls and probably in second place in the rest of the world. At least when it comes to Nintendo characters.

But I think the consensus that K. Rool, Isaac, and Inkling are the three most likely Nintendo newcomers is definitely sound.

How would you all feel if Fredrik was a K. Rool alt? I mean he basically is a dime store version of the Kremling King.
Outside of a Fredrik-themed costume, it's not a good idea.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Realistically I would only be bothered by a Lord Fredrik alt insofar as it would likely mean K Rool wasn't using several of his tools - as if he had that alt, he'd be in. I have no dislike for Fredrik and the baddies he represents either; they're not Kremlings but they're still enjoyable.

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
Despite the outcome, this player right here is the real MVP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzkzXK-auD8 why did he not use Kong cyclone is the real question.

Who here would main King K Rool? For better or worse, zoner, brawler, grappler, slow, fast etc. I would, no matter what the playstyle, I can get use to any character's style if I like them, and I feel I would have too after supporting this long. If/when a K Rool only tournament arise count me in, at least for the 3ds version anyway

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Pretty sure Wolf is winning Japanese polls and probably in second place in the rest of the world. At least when it comes to Nintendo characters.

But I think the consensus that K. Rool, Isaac, and Inkling are the three most likely Nintendo newcomers is definitely sound.

Outside of a Fredrik-themed costume, it's not a good idea.
Well, I'm (assuming) that we're talking about newcomers specifically. Of course Wolf is winning the poll.

As for Frederik, I can see K. Rool wearing a Frederik-themed outfit, that's what I assume when I hear "Frederik alt."

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I just beat DK64 101% for the first time. The fight with K. Rool made me realize how badly I want Candy Kong's oddly alluring chest in Smash K. Rool's voice to be based off of this game. It's so goofy, but menacing at the same time. The "Yeah! Thank You" taunt that he does throughout the fight would be one of the best taunts in Smash.

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman

It's becoming apparent just how used I am to drawing Kremlings now* after such a long time at it. That Diddy face design took way longer to create than Klump's entire completed head. Diddy took days (including one total scrap) where as Klump took about a few hours at most. FML.

But then I've barely touched Diddy as far as drawn DK characters. He's a weird 'un. All I know now is my face eff-ing hurts now.
When I'm trying to figure the right expression right down to the subtleties I mimic it in real life. To really "feel" it :4shulk: in order to accurately portray it in my work. It certainly takes you places I tell you.

I've grimaced so hard I wouldn't be so surprised if I got my first wrinkle on...
Anyway. That's me for now.

*I've drawn my fair share of dank and monstrous creatures- with equally fetishistic-ally drawn fangs ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) - so I'm sure that "helped".

Mewtwoultima

Smash Apprentice
Based on what we've heard, Inklings didn't have very good support in Japan mostly because "they're game wasn't even out yet". It is out now, but I think they're still probably leary about it in Smash because it just needs to have its own identity for a while instead of relying on other things.

Isaac in Japan was in the Top 10 newcomers in PushDustin's analysis, but he was low. It wasn't anything to scoff at, he was still decently high, but he's not anywhere close to Isaac's western support. As for recently, it probably hasn't changed much. A new Golden Sun game would be required to improve him in Japan probably.
Interesting. Surprised Inklings aren't apparently high in Japan considering the game sold surprisingly well in its homeland. You do have good point though for why.

Awesome. Still nice to be in the top 10 despite support not being as good as it is in the states. A new game would definitely help a lot.

Thinking about it. Roy could be a highly desired character in Japan since back in the pre ssb4 days, Chronobound saw a lot of fans want Roy and Mewtwo back the most on Japanese forums. Wouldn't surprise me if Wolf is topping Japanese polls since they don't seem to like seeing characters cut and usually want them back the most with some exceptions and like Lucas, he's the second most wanted to come back. Especially since people feel Snakes chances have great diminished as much as they want him and Ice Climber they feel the development team wouldn't want to make it one ice climber. Wouldn't surprise me either to see him return and coincide with StarFox U's reveal.

Could you show me PushDustins top 10 analysis? I'm curious to see the other rough estimated results for their most wanted characters.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Speaking of analysis, anyone remembers Chronobound's gigantic character analysis? I wonder if he wants to do a similar one now, as even if some of his predictions were off, they represented the general expectations about the roster quite well.

:231:

StormC

Smash Hero
I posted Pushdustin's top ten earlier but I'm on mobile now. I'll link it when I get home if nobody else does.

Despite the outcome, this player right here is the real MVP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzkzXK-auD8 why did he not use Kong cyclone is the real question.

Who here would main King K Rool? For better or worse, zoner, brawler, grappler, slow, fast etc. I would, no matter what the playstyle, I can get use to any character's style if I like them, and I feel I would have too after supporting this long. If/when a K Rool only tournament arise count me in, at least for the 3ds version anyway
I main Ganondorf with a Bowser secondary so I'm definitely open to adding K. Rool to my rotation. Even if I don't get good enough to use him competitively, you can bet I'll use the hell out of him in single player.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Here is something for you guys to consider:

Does the majority of the Kutthroats want the Small cape from the Animated Cartoon Series or the Long cape from the games? A poll would show us where the members of the Kutthroats stand on this notion.

Welshy91

Smash Ace

Does the majority of the Kutthroats want the Small cape from the Animated Cartoon Series or the Long cape from the games? A poll would show us where the members of the Kutthroats stand on this notion.
I hate almost everything about the K. Rool from the cartoons (as far as appearance goes). Long cape all the way.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero

Long. The short one looks awful and isn't reflective of the actual games.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

That's like asking to choose between, say, Hotel Mario and Super Mario World. Should be obvious.

:231:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Interesting. Surprised Inklings aren't apparently high in Japan considering the game sold surprisingly well in its homeland. You do have good point though for why.

Awesome. Still nice to be in the top 10 despite support not being as good as it is in the states. A new game would definitely help a lot.

Thinking about it. Roy could be a highly desired character in Japan since back in the pre ssb4 days, Chronobound saw a lot of fans want Roy and Mewtwo back the most on Japanese forums. Wouldn't surprise me if Wolf is topping Japanese polls since they don't seem to like seeing characters cut and usually want them back the most with some exceptions and like Lucas, he's the second most wanted to come back. Especially since people feel Snakes chances have great diminished as much as they want him and Ice Climber they feel the development team wouldn't want to make it one ice climber. Wouldn't surprise me either to see him return and coincide with StarFox U's reveal.

Could you show me PushDustins top 10 analysis? I'm curious to see the other rough estimated results for their most wanted characters.
Look, the game JUST LAUNCHED. We don't know anything more after that. However, they were leary about Inklings before the game launched. That's why I'm saying its likely (NOT stated) that they may not necessarily want Inklings in just yet. We haven't heard anything else from the Japanese fanbase since then; at least as far as I'm aware.

StormC

Smash Hero
Am quite curious of this Top 10 analysis as well.

Given Japan's bigger desire for veterans to come back, I'm skeptical of any of these characters actually getting many votes besides K. Rool and maybe Krystal.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero

Given Japan's bigger desire for veterans to come back, I'm skeptical of any of these characters actually getting many votes besides K. Rool and maybe Krystal.
Proving that King K. was top percentage for newcomers even in Japan, and Inklings held a firm standing even before their release.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
There was one post PushDustin translated where the Japanese user was laughing at Westerners for rallying behind a character whose game wasn't even out yet. Thing is, most Japanese results aren't up-to-date...that pie chart came before the ballot, and the "Japanese popularity" source most people used prior to it was a post Chronobound made in 2011. On top of that, it seems "popularity" over there is just "how many times was this character mentioned on random websites?"

Just so long as K. Rool maintains a fair amount of support in Japan, massive support in the West could be enough to seal the deal for him, in the same vein as Sonic or Little Mac.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Just so long as K. Rool maintains a fair amount of support in Japan, massive support in the West could be enough to seal the deal for him, in the same vein as Sonic or Little Mac.
What might be pushing most of K. Rool's support in Japan is how popular he is in the West. Japanese fans who think he is unlikely remember that we got Little Mac, who mainly was supported by those in the West, and see this as an opportunity to connect with Universal K. Rool fans and make our dream tangible. It is easy to think your character is not likely and lose motivation to support them when it looks like no else would, but seeing other fans across the world really does wonders for rallying up morale.

Last edited:

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Kartoon K. Rool was so shocked to hear that someone hates him that he forgot to take his orange juice.
I don't HATE K. Rool from the show, I just hate how he looks. Isn't it what's on the inside that counts?

StormC

Smash Hero
There was one post PushDustin translated where the Japanese user was laughing at Westerners for rallying behind a character whose game wasn't even out yet. Thing is, most Japanese results aren't up-to-date...that pie chart came before the ballot, and the "Japanese popularity" source most people used prior to it was a post Chronobound made in 2011. On top of that, it seems "popularity" over there is just "how many times was this character mentioned on random websites?"

I see it being an inverse situation regarding Palutena pre-Smash 4. By most accounts, Palutena was in Japan's top 5 requests for Smash 4, whereas she was somewhat more middling in the west. Of course, Sakurai bias played a role too, but y'know.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Cape? As long as K.Rool is playable then I don't give a monkey
I keep seeing comments saying things like"As long as K.Rool makes it in, I don't care if they do this or that to him" It just kinda sounds like "I'll take what I can get", that's fine and all but ya gotta want them to do the King justice you know?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I keep seeing comments saying things like"As long as K.Rool makes it in, I don't care if they do this or that to him" It just kinda sounds like "I'll take what I can get", that's fine and all but ya gotta want them to do the King justice you know?
The thing is: It depends on what it is. Cape? Purely cosmetic, means absolutely nothing to the character or the character's abilities. Same with other thing, like Ness' shirt having different stripes or Ridley's absurdly small wings. Wait...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Pick one.

Or better yet, let's keep this about K. Rool and completely leave Ridley out of it.
tfw last minute jokes are bad. Need to work on that.
But yeah, the cape is literally nothing when it comes to K.Rool
His explanation was pretty centered on K.Rool with Ridley only being an example, at least that's how I read it.
*Her
I said Ridley because I'm still dumbfounded by Sakurai saying Ridley's wings being shrunk down is a no no. Ridley's wings are either large or comically small, but he still flies well. The joke is that Sakurai goes "His cape would have to be shrunken down, ruins him"

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
His explanation was pretty centered on K.Rool with Ridley only being an example, at least that's how I read it.

Edit: missed the joke, lol.
*Her

There's a difference between a cosmetic that, thus far hasn't been shown to do anything and a body part that grants a character an ability.

Top Bottom