• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
:4samus: Join the club. 25th anniversary for Metroid came and went with nothing to show for it. Loving dat MM3D though.
Thing is, Metroid was ignored because Zelda overshadowed it, but DKC has nothing overshadowing it...

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
Majora's Mask 3D is what makes up for everything that wasn't in this direct. Remember, Nintendo confirmed there is a 3D Metroid game and a 2D Metroid game in development. Also, I think Nintendo has a lot of other announcements they're holding back for another time...like E3 2015 or possibly another direct in early 2015. Hopefully one of those announcements is SOMETHING DK related.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Majora's Mask 3D is what makes up for everything that wasn't in this direct. Remember, Nintendo confirmed there is a 3D Metroid game and a 2D Metroid game in development. Also, I think Nintendo has a lot of other announcements they're holding back for another time...like E3 2015 or possibly another direct in early 2015. Hopefully one of those announcements is SOMETHING DK related.
No, they did not confirm there are Metroid games in development. They confirmed they have "IDEAS" for the future of the Metroid franchise. It was NEVER confirmed that any Metroid game was actually in development. They confirmed they plan to continue both 2D and 3D Metroid, not that they were in development. There's a huge difference.

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
No, they did not confirm there are Metroid games in development. They confirmed they have "IDEAS" for the future of the Metroid franchise. It was NEVER confirmed that any Metroid game was actually in development. They confirmed they plan to continue both 2D and 3D Metroid, not that they were in development. There's a huge difference.
Hmmm...coulda swore they said they were being developed. Maybe I just read something wrong. Oh well :ohwell:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
YAAAAAAY CAPTAIN TOAD AND CAT SUIT PEACH DLC!!!! BEST DIRECT EVER!!!!!
I still swear that Diddy Kong Racing U IS happening. It makes no sense to cut Diddy Kong from MK8, and when DLC is announced, Diddy Kong (or anything DK related) isn't anywhere in sight. I really, REALLY think Diddy Kong Racing U is happening at this point.

Hmmm...coulda swore they said they were being developed. Maybe I just read something wrong. Oh well :ohwell:
As far as I am aware, no, that's not the case at all.

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562
I watched half the direct, then I stopped cause I made the assumption that Nintendo wasn't going to show any DK related DLC for Smash, looks like I was right.:(

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I watched half the direct, then I stopped cause I made the assumption that Nintendo wasn't going to show any DK related DLC for Smash, looks like I was right.:(
I figured it out about halfway through, but I was hoping for a new game announcement at the end.

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
I figured it out about halfway through, but I was hoping for a new game announcement at the end.
I expected the same. Why is it that Nintendo only announces one new game per direct? The last time we got a crap load of games announced was back in the January 2013 Direct (obviously not counting E3 directs).

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Just wondering about Baron K. Roolenstein, what sort of elements does he possess that can influence his moveset if he was to be in Smash Bros?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I expected the same. Why is it that Nintendo only announces one new game per direct? The last time we got a crap load of games announced was back in the January 2013 Direct (obviously not counting E3 directs).
I still think Diddy Kong Racing U is coming, its just a matter of when. Nintendo also likes to announce games outside of Directs, too, oddly enough.

Just wondering about Baron K. Roolenstein, what sort of elements does he possess that can influence his moveset if he was to be in Smash Bros?
The helicopter for sure. Other things I can see him adding are performing electrified Smash attacks. For example, he wears gloves and throws his hands upwards and electrical sparks fly between them for the Smash. He could also use electricity projectiles, and I also like the idea of him pulling out his button and pressing it to summon his Final Smash, regardless of what it is. It could be Kredits or the Blast-o-Matic, but either way, I always picture in my mind him pulling out that button to summon whatever it is.

StormC

Smash Hero
He also throws bombs in Donkey Kong Land III (and Jungle Climber, incidentally).

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
He also throws bombs in Donkey Kong Land III (and Jungle Climber, incidentally).
Oh, I did not know that. Interesting. I did know that he changed up his battle formula in DKL3 a bit compared to DKC3, I just didn't know in what way.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Oh, K. Rool is most certainly insane, and sadistic at the same time. DKC, he steals the bananas in hopes of the Kongs dying of starvation, which is probably one of the most slow and painful deaths to exist. DKC2, he tortures Donkey Kong while Diddy and Dixie are going after him. DKC3, he uses two of the Kongs to power a machine to kill people that those Kongs care for. I think in DKC3 he was most certainly the most sadistic, and funny enough, I think DK64, the one that is regarded as the darkest game, has the least sadistic K. Rool. He honestly wants to destroy the Kongs and get it over with. No torturing, no making people use their energy to destroy their loved ones, just destroy DK island.
Well he did treat his henchmen pretty badly if that counts, even feeding that one kasplat to one of his giant klaptraps.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Probably the best moveset I've ever written was for Baron; I gave him a move where he can create a horizontal electric barrier from point A to point B, as long as he wishes (at the cost of his own vulnerability, since he, too, can get zapped). He then gets to use the electricity as a damage-building means against his foes. It's linked in the OP if you're interested in reading.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Thing is, Metroid was ignored because Zelda overshadowed it, but DKC has nothing overshadowing it...
Maybe that isn't why Metroid didn't get the attention it should've gotten for its anniversary either then. I always saw the "Zelda overshadowing" thing to be just an excuse for other fans to justify Metroid's continual deprived status.

Regardless, I equally mourn DKC not getting its anniversary attention, if that is the case here.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Maybe that isn't why Metroid didn't get the attention it should've gotten for its anniversary either then. I always saw the "Zelda overshadowing" thing to be just an excuse for other fans to justify Metroid's continual deprived status.
I in no way meant to justify the fact that Metroid was ignored. I think that it was criminal. But I figured that Zeldas anniversary was the reason why Metroid was ignored.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Whoah, this thread is back up? I haven't been on Smash Boards at all since this thread got locked. Can't say I'm optimistic about K. Rool being dlc but I can support him again! Yay!

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Wow.... even Ridley thinks that's evil. The only people I know who would do that are real-life villains!
His name is a play on cruel for a reason.

That's another reason I'd like to see him and Bowser meet. Bowser's troops are certainly afraid of what he'll do if they fail him, but they follow him out of respect and admiration. The Marios RPGS especially show that he can be a good leader. K. Rool has none of the those qualities. Klubba even says the Kremlings are miserable under him.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
It makes you wonder how they put up with him, especially after overthrowing him and he uses a puppet leader.

Then again it's not like despotism in real life is much different.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It makes you wonder how they put up with him, especially after overthrowing him and he uses a puppet leader.

Then again it's not like despotism in real life is much different.
Its probably the case that they have nowhere else to go. And the thing is, K. Rool is legitimately powerful on his own right. They might not have the capability to defeat him themselves. King K. Rool is the strongest Kremling, after all, and he's always the hardest boss in each game. Its probably WORSE for them if they DO try to stand up to them.

Although yeah, it is definitely possible that they did try to overthrow him at one point, hence why he created KAOS to act as a puppet leader in his place.

EDIT: Its also notable that despite how insane K. Rool is, he is quite smart. For crying out loud, he created a giant robot out of pots and pans!

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
They're also probably too scared of him to try, in 64, we get a couple scenes showing how he treats those who fail him. The large Klaptrap incident shows that he's more then willing to feed them to the dogs, he forcibly got the Kremlings to keep working on the machine by sic'ing his small Klaptraps on him, and Army Armadillo was nearly scared to death by just his stare. He has the power and the intimidation to keep them in line and he's more then willing to use it, which makes him one of the more ruthless villains in Nintendo's roster.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
They're also probably too scared of him to try, in 64, we get a couple scenes showing how he treats those who fail him. The large Klaptrap incident shows that he's more then willing to feed them to the dogs, he forcibly got the Kremlings to keep working on the machine by sic'ing his small Klaptraps on him, and Army Armadillo was nearly scared to death by just his stare. He has the power and the intimidation to keep them in line and he's more then willing to use it, which makes him one of the more ruthless villains in Nintendo's roster.
Which is why we love him so much. He's a LEGITIMATE villain, and he's totally hilarious while to boot while he's at it. ^^

Rattle-Kalimba

Smash Apprentice
He has the power and the intimidation to keep them in line and he's more then willing to use it, which makes him one of the more ruthless villains in Nintendo's roster.
I would rather say it makes him one of the most ruthless Rareware-Villains. Let's be honest. Nintendo themselves have no idea how to use him correctly. Look how they portrait him in their own games. He was such a generic villain like Bowser.

Rattle-Kalimba

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, hi's okay and can be sometimes cool, but in the last games Bowser was....... How should I say, "standard stuff". You know he will show up and you now what he's plan will be. KKR on the other hand is way to whacky and insane compare to the other Nintendo baddies. Most of them are down to earth. KKR has the stil of an western Rareware Villain. He's pure evil, but can also be sometimes funny in an insane, cartoony way.

That's a reason why I can not see KKR as a Nintendo-All-Star. Everything that made him so awesome was done by Rareware. They came up with the character, the designed him, they made the music for him, the came up the idea of the costume changes. Nintendo really is not interested n using this great ideas. What was the last boss fight against him? He become bigger and spit fire balls..... wow.... like I haven't see that before of a Nintendo-Boss.....

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
K. Rool's sadistic, insane approach is one of the reasons I think he'd be an extremely interesting Smash villain.

BTW, what is it with most villains being reptiles?

Bowser, K. Rool, Medeus, Ridley...

Last edited:

Chase

Smash Ace
K. Rool's sadistic, insane approach is one of the reasons I think he'd be an extremely interesting Smash villain.

BTW, what is it with most villains being reptiles?

Bowser, K. Rool, Medeus, Ridley...
Leon, Kamek, Bowser Jr..

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Nintendo of Japan is poorly-equipped to handle the DKC franchise as a whole, let alone its individual characters. One logical explanation for this that came up on the latest Kongversation was that gorillas never really became prominent in Japanese pop culture, therefore, whenever they handle DK, they characterize him as this over-the-top deranged grinning "stupid ape" because they really don't know better. Contrast this with the West, where gorillas have generally been known as peaceful, powerful creatures, and you can see where the divide comes from.

Retro would absolutely handle K. Rool's character in a positive way; they took Cranky and made him actually cranky again, instead of just a generic old, wise man, so it's clear that they're aware of how the characters should actually behave. The meme on places like NeoGAF is that "anyone can handle the DKC franchise [therefore Retro should make games that aren't DK instead]," but, comparing Jungle Beat to Returns or Tropical Freeze, and how each was received, that's clearly false.

Last edited:

ArturoLamilla

Smash Cadet
NNID
ArturoWiiU
I've just seen a video about a new fan made game callled A Tribute to Donkey Kong Country, this is really awesome, please check it out! This is K. Rool related!

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I've just seen a video about a new fan made game callled A Tribute to Donkey Kong Country, this is really awesome, please check it out! This is K. Rool related!

Oh my stars that looks amazing!:crazy:... Why do I fear that this will be seen by Nintendo and have copyright issues?...

Laniv

Smash Champion

That video summed up pretty much everything I love about DKC. The enemies, the minecarts, the hidden secrets. The world of Donkey Kong Country actually feels like you're exploring a jungle, cave, forest, or factory. It's simply magnificent.

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
Once again, fans doing what Nintendon't. I just hope this glorious thing gets millions of downloads (and Mother 4 too) to show Nintendo how things should be done. :grin:

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
I got a little secret to share...

It's nothing huge, but it's the truth. Also, as a disclaimer/heads-up, I'm not complaining or anything.

To be truthful, the two franchises I wanted to see new content from the most, including newcomers, in Smash Brothers were Donkey Kong and Star Fox.

In retrospect, I can't help but laugh. Not in a negative way, however. I have no grudges against the developmental team behind Sm4sh for what they've done. The game is going to be amazing.

I'm just explaining how I'm feeling at the moment. Sort of a vent without anger, if you will.

I look around and see many people celebrate over the surprises of their supported characters getting in. It's that word I used a while back before the threads closed: vindication.

I wish I could feel the same way. I've tried, honestly. I just don't find myself particularly excited, you could say.

Well, that's how I feel so far. We'll see where Nintendo takes us with Sm4sh--whether it be some hidden secret, simple DLC, or nothing at all. The future is unclear. I'd really appreciate some clarity.

Hypothetically, it's like there are some people locked outside in a blizzard while others are enjoying the warmth of the cabin inside. Makes you hold your breath as you wait for clarity that may never even arrive.

That's what I'm afraid of the most. I'd much rather have a character officially disconfirmed than having been left in the dark until the lifespan of DLC and the game itself ends. That way, I'd at least know about their fate...

Apologies if any of this comes off as a bit selfish or short-sighted. I needed to get that off my chest.

(Again: I'm not attempting to antagonize anything--just explaining how I feel at the moment)

Besides that, I'm 110% supportive of K. Rool as DLC. I just despise the fact that we have to wait for so long just to see whether or not he'll be part of the DLC. He's my second most wanted character to appear in Smash as playable.

Like, can't they just tell us who they have planned, if they have anyone planned, all at once so we know what to expect? Why do they have to trickle out information alongside relevant reveals (sometimes they don't even do that)? Right now, I'm almost ready to assume that Mewtwo might be the only one (I know people can argue about other games receiving multiple character DLC, but I can't support that until Ninty proves my fears wrong about Sm4sh).

That's what I meant when I said something along the lines of "being left in the dark about a character is worse than knowing that character not being in it". At least that's what it feels like.

Last edited:

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo of Japan is poorly-equipped to handle the DKC franchise as a whole, let alone its individual characters. One logical explanation for this that came up on the latest Kongversation was that gorillas never really became prominent in Japanese pop culture, therefore, whenever they handle DK, they characterize him as this over-the-top deranged grinning "stupid ape" because they really don't know better. Contrast this with the West, where gorillas have generally been known as peaceful, powerful creatures, and you can see where the divide comes from.
I have a feeling they would half-ass K Rool if Sakurai ever made him DLC.

Top Bottom