• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
He doesn't. Once an enemy to the Kongs, always an enemy to the Kongs. It only said something along the lines of 'If only he had a change of heart or was one of DK's Animal Friends... On second thoughts, nope. Never gonna happen.'

Oh, and here's an interesting thing someone pointed out on Miiverse which I said on the former Ridley thread which is: The newcomers are being revealed in order of veteran series first, newcomer series next. Rosalina - Mario. Little Mac - Punch-Out!! Greninja - Pokémon. Mii Fighters - Super Smash Bros/Undefined. Palutena - Kid Icarus. Pac-Man - Pac-Man. Robin and Lucina - Fire Emblem. Shulk - Xenoblade. Bowser Jr. - Mario, and if this pattern serves true, then I think it's obvious Duck Hunt Dog will be getting his official trailer tomorrow. Not that I'm saying this is bad news for King K, but this is an interesting pattern. Wonder if they'll have a DLC pattern too...
Well, Duck Hunt being a newcomer series, next in line would be a veteran series. Donkey Kong...? :D
Doubt it, but
Would you think they would treat Mewtwo as a newcomer? They did say he was "joining the battle as a NEW fighter." If that's the case, then the DLC pattern would begin with Mewtwo who's from a veteran series being obviously Pokemon.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well, Duck Hunt being a newcomer series, next in line would be a veteran series. Donkey Kong...? :D
Doubt it, but
It is interesting to note that they've basically maintained that trend after the first reveals. Rosalina > Little Mac > Greninja > Mii > Palutena > Pac-Man > Robin > Shulk > Bowser Jr. > Duck Hunt.

Would you think they would treat Mewtwo as a newcomer? They did say he was "joining the battle as a NEW fighter." If that's the case, then the DLC pattern would begin with Mewtwo who's from a veteran series being obviously Pokemon.
Mewtwo is being treated slightly differently from usual veterans because he had to be created from the ground up, and I think he'll probably get a trailer, but he'll still be counted as a veteran so no, I don't think that'll be the case.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Holy ****. I just got done with Grassland Groove, and I don't think in the fifteen years I've been gaming that a single stage has ever made me just so happy to be playing it. That wasn't just a stage, that was an experience. David Wise is a goddamn genius.
I second that emotion. Grassland Groove is one of my favorite levels in any game, ever. It's easy, but that's well worth the sheerly genius level design.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
so was wart, thats nintendos way of saying theyre exactly the same, just big fuggin reptiles that should die and should stay dead

It's technically not K. Rool's theme in the same way as Dedede's or Wolf's, where it plays almost every time those characters are fought, but it's the background music to his most well-known fight, so naturally, it's most closely associated with him.
Boy do I love that theme... we need a gangplank galleon stage if we do get the King in. I mean Flying Kroc would do in a pinch, but we need the iconic stage for his reveal!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
so was wart, thats nintendos way of saying theyre exactly the same, just big fuggin reptiles that should die and should stay dead

It's technically not K. Rool's theme in the same way as Dedede's or Wolf's, where it plays almost every time those characters are fought, but it's the background music to his most well-known fight, so naturally, it's most closely associated with him.
K. Rool technically has a variety of themes. Funny thing is, Gangplank Galleon is the theme that is least associated with him, because he appears on a Zeppelin stage in DKL and so he's got a different theme when fought in DKL, whereas he's got the same boss music in DKL2-3 as he does in DKC2-3. I do kinda wish K. Rool had a more consistent theme song, rather than getting a new song every single time.

Granted, Bowser is the same way. He always gets a new theme song every game. If K. Rool were to get a consistent theme song, I'd like it to be Krocodile Kakophany (well, its really Crocodile Cacophany, but it should be spelled with k's :p). Krokodile Kakophany just fits K. Rool more in general, I think.

Regardless, Gangplank Galleon is the most iconic K. Rool theme because its appeared so often, and is the first theme he has in the series. Gangplank Galleon itself has also appeared a large number of times in different forms, usually as a galleon world in various games, starting as K. Rool's boss battle in DKC, then as the first world in DKL, DKC2, and DKL2, and later on as Gloomy Galleon in DK64. The Ship levels in DKCR were also an homage to Gangplank Galleon.

StormC

Smash Hero
Has the actual Gangplank Galleon song been used a lot in the games, though? I've only heard it in DKC and Brawl.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Has the actual Gangplank Galleon song been used a lot in the games, though? I've only heard it in DKC and Brawl.
Its in DKC, DKL, a remix of it in DKC2 (there's a Rattley ship stage that has it), and it was in Brawl as well. Its the most iconic K. Rool theme mainly because its the first one, and it has appeared the most of any K. Rool theme, but not by much.

StormC

Smash Hero
Well, it's in Donkey Kong Land, but only the beginning, sea shanty part. The crux of the music, when the heavy tempo begins, has shown up less frequently. I can't actually remember if Rattle Battle remixes that into its theme, though.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Gangplank Galleon is K. Rool's de facto theme not just because it came first, but it came in the game that sold 10 million copies, not even counting its ports and rereleases.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Gangplank Galleon is K. Rool's de facto theme not just because it came first, but it came in the game that sold 10 million copies, not even counting its ports and rereleases.
They should've honestly just made it his official theme. Although I do love Krokodile Kakophany. I'd absolutely love it if they considered remixing a new theme together out of his existing ones, that'd be awesome I think.

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
Is there any reason we we Eurofolks got the Donkey Kong Country games on VC before the US?

I'm extremely happy that we've got 'em at all, don't get me wrong, but it seems like an strange release policy for such a big franchise; even stranger that you guys don't have 'em at all yet.
the games were developed in europe, it makes sense

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I second the notion of a K. Rool medly theme. That would be fantastic, and if all of K. Rool's aliases were to be utilized in K. Rool's moveset (and costumes) anyway, it would make perfect sense.

If we could only have one though, I'd go with Gangplank Galleon because it's THE boss theme for K. Rool. Though I have to say Crocodile Cacophony is my personal favorite of the bunch.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I second the notion of a K. Rool medly theme. That would be fantastic, and if all of K. Rool's aliases were to be utilized in K. Rool's moveset (and costumes) anyway, it would make perfect sense.

If we could only have one though, I'd go with Gangplank Galleon because it's THE boss theme for K. Rool. Though I have to say Crocodile Cacophony is my personal favorite of the bunch.
I mainly want Crocodile Cacophany because we already have a Gangplank Galleon remix, but yeah, if we can only have one then Gangplank Galleon.

LawofDeath

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LawofDe4th
3DS FC
3480-3867-8012
I would be in literal tears if a K. Rool medley were to happen, especially if DK64 was included. One can dream. I really hope Dave Wise exclusion to the composer's list doesn't prevent this from happening. :(

Steelia

Smash Champion
I would be in literal tears if a K. Rool medley were to happen, especially if DK64 was included. One can dream. I really hope Dave Wise exclusion to the composer's list doesn't prevent this from happening. :(
One could even say you'd be crying krocodile tears :awesome: I only slightly regret that.

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
K Rool really does have some of the best themes for any Boss. I can't think of any other bosses with such memorable themes that I listen to regularly.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Nintendo sure does know how to create awesome boss themes for its biggest and baddest villains. I wonder if Retro will have a new K. Rool boss theme for his return or will they remix past K. Rool themes. Either way, I'm looking forward to the grand return of the Kremling King to the DKC series.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Can I point out something I just remembered here?

K. Rool is god damn insane. I know that goes without saying, but I'm just watching the Kaptain fight, and I'm thinking of the scene before the fight where he actually physically shoots Donkey Kong point-blank in the face numerous times just for kicks and giggles. For a big silly croc, that's pretty intense. Kudos to Rare for having the guts to create such a gleefully unhinged opponent - I suppose there's a reason he's up there with Nintendo's biggest and baddest enemies, though!

Last edited:

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
Can I point out something I just remembered here?

K. Rool is god damn insane. I know that goes without saying, but I'm just watching the Kaptain fight, and I'm thinking of the scene before the fight where he actually physically shoots Donkey Kong point-blank in the face numerous times just for kicks and giggles. For a big silly croc, that's pretty intense. Kudos to Rare for having the guts to create such a gleefully unhinged opponent - I suppose there's a reason he's up there with Nintendo's biggest and baddest enemies, though!
It was a really good way to start the fight. You know he isn't joking around when you see that. Pritty impressive though that DK can take the shots. Cartoon logic.

StormC

Smash Hero
Yeah, K. Rool is probably the only platformer villain on file to have ever taken the main character hostage and torture them.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Oh, K. Rool is most certainly insane, and sadistic at the same time. DKC, he steals the bananas in hopes of the Kongs dying of starvation, which is probably one of the most slow and painful deaths to exist. DKC2, he tortures Donkey Kong while Diddy and Dixie are going after him. DKC3, he uses two of the Kongs to power a machine to kill people that those Kongs care for. I think in DKC3 he was most certainly the most sadistic, and funny enough, I think DK64, the one that is regarded as the darkest game, has the least sadistic K. Rool. He honestly wants to destroy the Kongs and get it over with. No torturing, no making people use their energy to destroy their loved ones, just destroy DK island.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Alright, here's hoping for DKC VC for NA (That is a lot of abbreviations).

EDIT: Well, that was a whole lot of nothing. Now excuse me while I go try to take the metric ton of salt that was just poured into my F-Zero loving wound.

Last edited:

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Now excuse me while I go try to take the metric ton of salt that was just poured into my F-Zero loving wound.
They plagiarized F-Zero right down to the costume, didn't they? :troll:

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
Unless I missed something in the 15 minutes of the Direct I, well, missed, it seems that DK got no mention whatsoever.

I was getting my hopes up when Miyamoto showed up, too...

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
Oh well, at least we got MM3D and the Pikmin movies :upsidedown:

Now seriously, I can't say it was disappointing but I can't say it was very good either. Practically everything was expected. Also, where's my Starfox trailer?

Last edited:

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Super Mario Advance is hitting the Wii U VC tomorrow, which means no Donkey Kong Country until 2017. Yay!

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
... Not even an acknowledgement of DKC's anniversary... It's a bit dissapointing. Although I am happy that we got more info about Splatoon, and that we got DH's trailer out of the way...

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
They plagiarized F-Zero right down to the costume, didn't they? :troll:
I just don't get how you can have the Blue Falcon, an F-Zero stage, and a Captain Falcon Mii costume...But no Falcon himself.

Well if we play on the F-Zero stage with everyone using the Blue Falcon, and only Mushrooms on, that'll be just like it! Right?! Right?!

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
I'm not too disappointed by the Direct. We got Splatoon info, Kirby info, and freaking Majora's Mask 3D. Only depressing part is no foreseeable date for DKC.

Top Bottom