• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Rattle-Kalimba

Smash Apprentice
Retro would absolutely handle K. Rool's character in a positive way; they took Cranky and made him actually cranky again, instead of just a generic old, wise man, so it's clear that they're aware of how the characters should actually behave. The meme on places like NeoGAF is that "anyone can handle the DKC franchise [therefore Retro should make games that aren't DK instead]," but, comparing Jungle Beat to Returns or Tropical Freeze, and how each was received, that's clearly false.
You think? In my opinion they washed Cranky down. He's more the typical nice grampa guy. He's more like Toadsworth from Mario now.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I am glad that they brought Funky back... But I miss Funky's Flights. I don't expect it to return by any means, I just miss it... I do wish they gave Funky a different job besides just being a shop owner. Make him the new Swanky Kong or something. Give him a minigame. Give the shop owner job to Candy or something.

Steelia

Smash Champion
I've just seen a video about a new fan made game callled A Tribute to Donkey Kong Country, this is really awesome, please check it out! This is K. Rool related!

Incredible! This game is just oozing atmosphere and nostalgia. I wish the people behind this the best of luck finishing it.

Last edited:

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562
Nintendo of Japan is poorly-equipped to handle the DKC franchise as a whole, let alone its individual characters. One logical explanation for this that came up on the latest Kongversation was that gorillas never really became prominent in Japanese pop culture, therefore, whenever they handle DK, they characterize him as this over-the-top deranged grinning "stupid ape" because they really don't know better. Contrast this with the West, where gorillas have generally been known as peaceful, powerful creatures, and you can see where the divide comes from.

Even though Japan, (in my opinion) may be the country of technology, Nintendo of Japan(Sakurai, Miyamoto) seems to be the only company to make a bad name out of it.

^That aside, NoJ needs to hand over the rights of the DK franchise to either Retro Studios or Nintendo of America. Since
Nintendo of Japan's big name legends seem biased about Dk and hardly pays any mind to it. If the Underlined is the case that is just a biased reason, proving that the DK franchise should be relinquished from japan and over to America. It seems only fitting.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Well, I will be marking my calendar for this! December 1... What a great way to start off the season, with what looks like a fantastic fan made game!

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
I've just seen a video about a new fan made game callled A Tribute to Donkey Kong Country, this is really awesome, please check it out! This is K. Rool related!

That game's looking powerful! And if I'm understanding correctly, it's a one-man project? Insane. Talk about devotion. I'll be thrilled to play it!

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
K. Rool's sadistic, insane approach is one of the reasons I think he'd be an extremely interesting Smash villain.

BTW, what is it with most villains being reptiles?

Bowser, K. Rool, Medeus, Ridley...
Because reptiles are awesome. They just have that villainous and dinosaur like look to them. I mean, it kinda makes sense in a way too being how earth originally belonged to them until we mammals came along and took over their dominance as the main species which wouldn't settle very well with them.

Also, is Ridley even a reptile though? He looks more like a xenomorph shaped into a pteradactyl like dragon.

Last edited:

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
Because reptiles are awesome. They just have that villainous and dinosaur like look to them. I mean, it kinda makes sense in a way too bring how earth originally belonged to them until we mammals came along and took over their dominance as the main species which wouldn't settle very well with them.

Also, is Ridley even a reptile though? He looks more like a xenomorph shaped into a pteradactyl like
Well, he IS named after Ridley Scott, so that comparison isn't too far off.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
With Dixie as a token piece for Smash Tour, I'm seeing K. Rool more feasible as a DLC character... But still, you never know. We used to think being a trophy was deconfirmation, the same could happen to Smash Tour trophy items too. So yeah, I'm still in this, all for it.

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else notice they used the Zapper on Diddy, while Duck Hunt laughed at him? ALLEGORY for the lack of DK content and that DK is stupid? I THINK YES....

Not really but I found it coincidental.

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
It's weird, I finished Diddy Kong's Quest like 5 times and it's still extremely cool.
I LOVE the music.
I see nothing weird about that. I've finished it much more than 5 times and it's still like my favorite game.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Just wanted to say and yes, I know this has been brought up here before but since Bowser, DK, Diddy, and King Dedede have animal and beast sounds in the game, I think it'd be logical if K. Rool had Crocodile sounds too, I mean it is obvious he should being how Kremlings ARE crocodiles. Now believe it or not, these actually sound really cool, some even sound very similar to his "URK" sound when you jump on him in DKC1. Now imagine a Gangplank Galleon stage with a rock remix and him fighting on it: listen to both these clips at the same time and please don't tell me how cool that doesn't sound.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Nintendo of Japan is poorly-equipped to handle the DKC franchise as a whole, let alone its individual characters. One logical explanation for this that came up on the latest Kongversation was that gorillas never really became prominent in Japanese pop culture, therefore, whenever they handle DK, they characterize him as this over-the-top deranged grinning "stupid ape" because they really don't know better. Contrast this with the West, where gorillas have generally been known as peaceful, powerful creatures, and you can see where the divide comes from.

Retro would absolutely handle K. Rool's character in a positive way; they took Cranky and made him actually cranky again, instead of just a generic old, wise man, so it's clear that they're aware of how the characters should actually behave. The meme on places like NeoGAF is that "anyone can handle the DKC franchise [therefore Retro should make games that aren't DK instead]," but, comparing Jungle Beat to Returns or Tropical Freeze, and how each was received, that's clearly false.
That's a pretty great analysis. It reminds me of the Donkey Kong Wiki's summary of the good ol' gorilla himself:

Donkey Kong Wiki said:
Donkey Kong is often characterized as a strong and brave gorilla [...] [h]e loves his friends so much that he will help when they are in trouble.
Honestly, that wiki really opened my eyes up to the stuff in the games that I was missing out on. I owe it a lot because of that.

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion
Starting rumors, leaks and stuff in 3, 2, 1...

Well... even if this weren't someone's review copy and instead a street date-broken buy, what would be exciting to see exactly? Stages, trophies, and assists? We already know the rosters are the same, and that was literally the biggest draw when it came to the early leaks and streams. I'd rather wait until people dig into the files, but I don't think Wii U hacking has gotten too far...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It's weird, I finished Diddy Kong's Quest like 5 times and it's still extremely cool.
I LOVE the music.
Just of note, I don't blame you for thinking its called "Diddy Kong's Quest", but its actually called "Diddy's Kong Quest." I don't blame you, though, because I didn't know that until about 6 months ago.

Oh, by the way guys, I'm really thinking I might get Smash Wii U right away. I'm also planning to order a capture card alongside it. I'll be ordering it after I get my next payment in, although it might be as late as the week Smash Wii U actually releases.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Yeah, I just ordered my copy yesterday. I was initially holding out for Amazon to put up the GC controller bundle, but then I realized it would be cheaper to just buy the game and adapter separately (both of which are already up for pre-order) without the controller (I have four already). I look forward to playing it extensively roughly two weeks from now to the day.

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
I'm holding off for a WiiU if or when K. Rool is DLC...alternatively I'll wait for Mewtwo.

It's all about that Omega Ruby...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah, I just ordered my copy yesterday. I was initially holding out for Amazon to put up the GC controller bundle, but then I realized it would be cheaper to just buy the game and adapter separately (both of which are already up for pre-order) without the controller (I have four already). I look forward to playing it extensively roughly two weeks from now to the day.
I won't be able to play it TOO extensively, but I'll play as much as I can that weekend.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I wanted to pre-order the bundle, but it's sold out everywhere. So I'll pre-order it+the adapater at some point.

Btw, I just joined Club Nintendo and registered all my stuff. Platinum membership and a ****load of coins in one night. Shame the poster offer isn't of :4megaman:,:4bowserjr: and :4littlemac:, or I'd snatch it up right away.

Finally, I'm getting close to the end of Tropical Freeze. Simply amazing. Right up there with DKC2 as one of my favorite platformers of all time (and with how much I love platformers, that is one hell of an accomplishment). And I cannot stop listening to the soundtrack. Grassland Groove, Scorch n' Torch, Windmill Hills, Jammin' Jams, Punch Bowl, Aqueduct Assault...It's all so amazing. Though Bashmaster should have been the Snowmad leader instead of Freddy.

Last edited:

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562
@ BKupa666 BKupa666 and @ JaidynReiman JaidynReiman Best of luck to you both in Smash 4 for the wii U, I know i'll be getting the Wii U version when it releases, it may be a couple days after the release that I purchase it, but I look forward to getting some matches in with you two eventually.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
@ BKupa666 BKupa666 and @ JaidynReiman JaidynReiman Best of luck to you both in Smash 4 for the wii U, I know i'll be getting the Wii U version when it releases, it may be a couple days after the release that I purchase it, but I look forward to getting some matches in with you two eventually.
I haven't ordered it yet, but I've got it in my Amazon cart.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Glad I was reminded about the Wii U GC adapter. Will have to see if I can pick up that too when I get Smash U since I have plenty GC controllers as well (I expect I'll have to wait a little while for that to be easier to find though but oh well).

Regardless, still pullin' for K. Rool as always.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Just wondering, if K. Rool ever had to give up his King gimmick as his default look, which other one do you think should replace it? I want to say Kaptain K. Rool.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I like Baron the best, I think it's the funniest. Then again I'm weird and 2 is my least favourite of the trilogy.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I like Baron the best, I think it's the funniest. Then again I'm weird and 2 is my least favourite of the trilogy.
Believe it or not, I thought I was the only one who thought this about DKC2 lol. I mean, I like the music, graphics, and challenging levels but there are some that just make me give up for a while and the fact that you have to pay coins in order to save after the first time is a real pain in the arse after going through all that heck. DKC1 and DK64 are so far my personal favorites.

Last edited:
dont mean to change the subject,but maaaan david wise's music is so good.....i hope he comes back for donkey kong country returns 3

i knew that eveline fischer made the dkc 3 soundtrack,but i had no idea david wise did the gba version of dkc 3. just listen to this song

also here is a more high quiality version(midi)

david wise is a genius.

Last edited:
Top Bottom