• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
All fangasms aside, do you guys think that Isaac has a realistic chance? I ask, because Isaac keeps popping up a lot in discussion on other sites as well. I'd say if we get about 5 characters out of the ballot, his chances are really good!

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
All fangasms aside, do you guys think that Isaac has a realistic chance? I ask, because Isaac keeps popping up a lot in discussion on other sites as well. I'd say if we get about 5 characters out of the ballot, his chances are really good!
Well we should take into account that Little Mac was very much chosen for Western fans. People in Japan didn't react that positively to his inclusion and some didn't even know who he was. Isaac is already more popular in Japan than Little Mac ever was.

From what I can see in terms of Nintendo characters Isaac seems to be second only to King K Rool. Both of those characters seem to be performing consistently.

There's a large amount of popular 3rd parties competing for a slot but we have to remember that a 3rd party would have to get an overwhelming amount of votes to be considered by Sakurai. We're talking Sonic/Mega Man levels of support. The only 3rd party I could see sidestepping that requirement is Snake, since he's a veteran. Even then I wouldn't say that veteran status alone guarantees Snake a slot.

All in all I think Isaac is definitely in the running, but in the end it's all up to Sakurai.

Last edited:

Buddy002

Smash Cadet
At the moment it seems that the most probable alt would be Matthew or G
What Sabrewulf238 said. He is polling pretty consistently, and is popular in both east and the west. He meets all of Sakurai's criteria, so it is ultimately up to Sakurai. (I wish I had that kind of power... :/)

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I do. Something never felt right about him completely disappearing from Smash 4, when even hated characters like Tingle made it back unchanged.

:231:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yes, I'd argue he has a very realistic chance. Granted, I thought he did before this ballot as well.

Spootondorf

Smash Apprentice
So here's a question that may have been posed before, but what was it that got you first playing Golden Sun? For me, it was Isaac's appearance in Brawl and Dark Dawn at E3 that made me an Adept.
Back in the early 2000's -- it must not have been long after the first GS had been released -- a friend of mine in high school let me borrow GS1 for a few days. I only got to the Saturos battle, if I recall, but it was an amazing experience. When GS2 came out, I snapped it up, but was a bit disoriented by the prologue, since I hadn't finished the first game. I bought GS1 used at a later date, but The Lost Age (GS2) is my first Golden Sun love. When Dark Dawn came out, far too many years later, it was simultaneously fun and disappointing. It didn't seem as difficult as GS2, the characters repeated themselves far too often and gave "hints" where absolutely none were necessary, the sound design was awful (didn't know before then that axes made clicking sounds on impact), and the soundtrack wasn't as good as that of GS2 (though there were a few standouts). Plus, the party grew to eight people seemingly just to match GS2's party size (the growth felt very forced), the bosses weren't as interesting or fun to fight, the world was too small, there was no guarantee that a weapon would unleash the attack you wanted it to instead of another one, and I believe I read that a bunch of character classes were removed. It was fun, but overall an inferior product when compared with at least its immediate predecessor. This was true especially because it was almost a side story, starting on something related to GS1/2 but immediately veering off into a giant fetch quest. It only got back to the GS1/2-relevant part in the final, short, cutscene. We've been stuck on that cliffhanger for over four years now.

We need a GS4 and we need Camelot to put everything they've got into it. I want Isaac in Smash, regardless, but if nothing else, we need him there to garner interest in Golden Sun.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I do. Something never felt right about him completely disappearing from Smash 4, when even hated characters like Tingle made it back unchanged.

:231:
To be fair, Tingle's actually a BELOVED character in japan. To the point of becoming playable in Hyrule Warriors and actually having THREE GAMES that star him. (Tingle's Balloon Fight, Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland, and Color Changing Tingle's Balloon Trip).

Listen, I'm all for another Spellsword/Magiknight in the game. Of our discussed newcomers on this site, Isaac is one of the ones with the strongest fan support. I feel Golden Sun's unknown future and the lacking role Isaac himself played in Dark Dawn are his biggest obstacles. I'll congratulate you all if he makes it in, and I certainly would welcome it. I... part of me just can't help but be doubtful but hope to be proven wrong.

SanicJan

Smash Cadet
It was the final bosses move "Soul Destroyer" I believe it was called, that was killing me everytime.
It isn't as threatening as Djinn Storm and Chaos Ruin right?
EDIT: Apparently if you go onto your Incognito Window you can bypass the vote once only. Your second vote won't cancel out the first.

Last edited:

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
Hey, reddit is doing a poll about the most wanted character : https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1lDL4AlHjetpp9WYTAb7KXwdtTdjv0zJai2o5GLYTy00/viewform

VOTE FOR ISAAC HERE !

As for if he has a chance or not, I read a lot of forums and different websites and Isaac is always int top 5. All of the websites have a mascot, Wonder Red for 4chan, Shovel Knight for Reddit, but Isaac is always in top 5. In my opinion, he comes second after K Rool.

Edit: wrong link xD

Last edited:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Guess who just downloaded Golden Sun with his Club Nintendo coins?

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
It isn't as threatening as Djinn Storm and Chaos Ruin right?
EDIT: Apparently if you go onto your Incognito Window you can bypass the vote once only. Your second vote won't cancel out the first.
If I remember correctly, depending on the number of Djinn you have used up, the move can instant kill you and your entire party.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Hey everyone, what's up?
So, I made this out of sheer boredom and decided to share it with the 6 DLC character threads represented here. Tell me what you all think! Also, I'd love to see some support from you all for these characters as well. ESPECIALLY WOLF! Thank-you all!
Very nice! Though I wouldn't expect Krystal unless she shows up in SF Wii U at E3.

Hey guys I made another Isaac/Golden Sun video talking about what stage DLC I'd like to see based off of Golden Sun Locations. Feel free to check it out! #IsaacForSmash #Ragnarokthevote

Thinking about a GS stage, any GS stage, in full 3d and HD gets me all tingly. :laugh:

You sure you want to use the "first day on the internet" kid for that? :p

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
I wonder what his battle stance, or his idle animations would look like. Or what his taunts would be.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Hey, reddit is doing a poll about the most wanted character : https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1lDL4AlHjetpp9WYTAb7KXwdtTdjv0zJai2o5GLYTy00/viewform

VOTE FOR ISAAC HERE !

As for if he has a chance or not, I read a lot of forums and different websites and Isaac is always int top 5. All of the websites have a mascot, Wonder Red for 4chan, Shovel Knight for Reddit, but Isaac is always in top 5. In my opinion, he comes second after K Rool.

Edit: wrong link xD
Keep in mind Daisy, Paper Mario, and K. Rool have all had their votes rigged on that poll, so it's not super accurate.

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
That said K. Rool would obviously still be winning even if he hadn't.

But of the Nintendo characters Isaac would be in second, as he usually is.
This may just be my own biases speaking but

I do genuinely think that K. Rool, high in demand as he might be, isn't a character who would make it into the game. Let me explain:

Whereas Isaac would have a plethora of unique earth magic from plant life to stones to straight up energy attacks-- And then 3 other elements of Alchemy to draw from if they wanted to...

K. Rool just has things that other characters have already. He has cannonballs like Bowser Jr., He's big and fat like Bowser and D3, he has boxing gloves like Mac, Junior, or Killager, His tilts and normals would probably all be big meaty punches, again just like Bowser... Bombs like Link, Maybe a cutlass? Lots of characters have swords...

He's not really very unique. His tricks are all done already on other characters and better. In my opinion, K. Rool would be redundant. Just one more big Heavy slow character.

Inklings, although I don't think they'll make it into Smash 4, and may have to wait till next time for a spot, already have a myriad of other interesting tools and moves that would set them far apart from other Smash Brothers and Sisters.

My point, I guess, is that I think if it really came down to

A: A unique character beloved by his devoted fanbase

or

B: A character who's a mishmash of other mechanics we've all already seen

Sakurai would want to craft the more fun and interesting experience.

This is not to say that I know K. Rool would be that. Sakurai is a genius and has a real gift for making something we all thought would be stock and boring and turning into something interesting and unique. I just think that based on K. Rool's previous appearances in the DKC games, there's not much he's done that hasn't already been covered.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Call him Mathew on the roster icons.

Have Isaac and Felix be alternate costumes ala koopaligs + alph/olimar. (I think they should add all the other captains btw.)

With a roughly fair amount of pallete swaps.

Last edited:

Smash4Godz

Smash Cadet
Porky peters piper pickled peppers pop pan PIZZA
NNID
hunterx24

I do genuinely think that K. Rool, high in demand as he might be, isn't a character who would make it into the game. Let me explain:

Whereas Isaac would have a plethora of unique earth magic from plant life to stones to straight up energy attacks-- And then 3 other elements of Alchemy to draw from if they wanted to...

K. Rool just has things that other characters have already. He has cannonballs like Bowser Jr., He's big and fat like Bowser and D3, he has boxing gloves like Mac, Junior, or Killager, His tilts and normals would probably all be big meaty punches, again just like Bowser... Bombs like Link, Maybe a cutlass? Lots of characters have swords...

He's not really very unique. His tricks are all done already on other characters and better. In my opinion, K. Rool would be redundant. Just one more big Heavy slow character.

Inklings, although I don't think they'll make it into Smash 4, and may have to wait till next time for a spot, already have a myriad of other interesting tools and moves that would set them far apart from other Smash Brothers and Sisters.

or

This is not to say that I know K. Rool would be that. Sakurai is a genius and has a real gift for making something we all thought would be stock and boring and turning into something interesting and unique. I just think that based on K. Rool's previous appearances in the DKC games, there's not much he's done that hasn't already been covered.

marry me

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021

or

I can easily argue that apart from some potential specials, Isaac's standard sword attacks are not unique and the other swordfighters most likely do it better.

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
I can easily argue that apart from some potential specials, Isaac's standard sword attacks are not unique and the other swordfighters most likely do it better.
You're right, but there would likely be very few of them, you see what I mean? Isaac is more a mage than he is a knight or a soldier. Psynergy use in Golden Sun is nigh imperative, so although Isaac HAS a sword, it's supplementary to his MAGIC.

If anything, I see Isaac using his sword more like a wand than an actual blade to strike with.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
You're right, but there would likely be very few of them, you see what I mean? Isaac is more a mage than he is a knight or a soldier. Psynergy use in Golden Sun is nigh imperative, so although Isaac HAS a sword, it's supplementary to his MAGIC.

If anything, I see Isaac using his sword more like a wand than an actual blade to strike with.
I feel that when he wants to, Sakurai makes truly unique characters, and when he is not as bothered then the characters do not reach thier full potential!
For example, Villager was considered before but at the time he & co couldn't think of anything lmao.

Spatman

Smash Ace
Call him Mathew on the roster icons.

Have Isaac and Felix be alternate costumes ala koopaligs + alph/olimar. (I think they should add all the other captains btw.)

With a roughly fair amount of pallete swaps.
In smash ballot ask for Isaac: it's the name from golden sun more requested, the fact that Matthew could be read as a different character and so split the total of votes for a golden sun character bothers me :/

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
In smash ballot ask for Isaac: it's the name from golden sun more requested, the fact that Matthew could be read as a different character and so split the total of votes for a golden sun character bothers me :/
*Sakurai reads Isaac votes*
*Decides to make him a character*
*Adds Mathew as the first costume*
:troll:

In all seriousness, I completely understand you point. But my OCD will make me irritated for a couple of days seeing 2 aa's in the middle of the name so visibly on the roster screen, but of course I would get over it.

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
I feel that when he wants to, Sakurai makes truly unique characters, and when he is not as bothered then the characters do not reach thier full potential!
For example, Villager was considered before but at the time he & co couldn't think of anything lmao.
I'm not really sure that I agree. Like, just because two characters have a Counter, for example, doesn't mean they aren't unique.

Shulk's counter is vastly different from Little Mac's.

Lucina's is vastly different from Marth's even.

Even if characters have similarities they're often more different than given credit for.

I consider TLink and Link and Ganon and Falcon to all be totally different, because you don't play them the same at all, despite their moves being superficially similar.

and some characters really are tough to come up with movesets for. I would never have considered Villager before I saw him. He doesn't fight in his game, so how the heck does that transition to Smash? We know now, but I would have been disgusted if someone brought Villager up beforehand.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I'm not really sure that I agree. Like, just because two characters have a Counter, for example, doesn't mean they aren't unique.

Shulk's counter is vastly different from Little Mac's.

Lucina's is vastly different from Marth's even.

Even if characters have similarities they're often more different than given credit for.

I consider TLink and Link and Ganon and Falcon to all be totally different, because you don't play them the same at all, despite their moves being superficially similar.

and some characters really are tough to come up with movesets for. I would never have considered Villager before I saw him. He doesn't fight in his game, so how the heck does that transition to Smash? We know now, but I would have been disgusted if someone brought Villager up beforehand.
Pretty much the reason I found your original post about 'K Rools moves being done pretty much already by other character' kinda dumb. (No offence).

I've been waiting until you said something like this. K Rool's canonball can very easily be vastly different from Bowser Jr's ect, same for Isaac's moves. :)

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
Pretty much the reason I found your original post about 'K Rools moves being done pretty much already by other character' kinda dumb. (No offence).

I've been waiting until you said something like this. K Rool's canonball can very easily be vastly different from Bowser Jr's ect, same for Isaac's moves. :)
You're right.

But what I mean to say is that Isaac has a much LARGER variety of things to draw from.
He can use earth, water, fire, and wind, he can wield a sword, he can grow plants, he can read minds, he can summon creatures to fight for him, he can boost hi strength by fusing with spirits, he can create giant energy objects like he's the Green Goddamn Lantern

K.Rool, by comparison has very terrestrial, boring, seen-it-all-before moves.

I think Sakurai would want to capitalize on the more wonderous, interesting one.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
You're right.

But what I mean to say is that Isaac has a much LARGER variety of things to draw from.
He can use earth, water, fire, and wind, he can wield a sword, he can grow plants, he can read minds, he can summon creatures to fight for him, he can boost hi strength by fusing with spirits, he can create giant energy objects like he's the Green Goddamn Lantern

K.Rool, by comparison has very terrestrial, boring, seen-it-all-before moves.

I think Sakurai would want to capitalize on the more wonderous, interesting one.
We shall see.
Including Mewtwo & Lucas, I think we are getting 5 DLC characters, maximum.

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
We shall see.
Including Mewtwo & Lucas, I think we are getting 5 DLC characters, maximum.
I'm treating this as the last piece of DLC we're getting. 5 would be glorious, but that's a lot of content in a ame already bursting at the seams with it.

If we do get a second ballot, Isaac is in the bag, because K. Rool is so popular. I can only hope that we can push him into first place somehow before the ballot ends.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I'm treating this as the last piece of DLC we're getting. 5 would be glorious, but that's a lot of content in a ame already bursting at the seams with it.

If we do get a second ballot, Isaac is in the bag, because K. Rool is so popular. I can only hope that we can push him into first place somehow before the ballot ends.
The reason I think 4 or 5 is because Wolf. Afterall he was just behind Lucas in Japan by like 0.something%, and with him being quick and easy to make like Lucas, being a highly requested veteran and Starfox around the corner, Wolf might already be in the works.

Then at least 1 newcomer. I doubt there will be more than 5 so no more than 2 newcomers. Of course, Wolf may not come back as DLC but it's certainly extremely likely in my eyes.

inb4 neither isaac or King K Rool get in again. :-P

Top Bottom