• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
So we can just link people to this next time someone questions Isaac's potential or originality, right?

Great write-up, I've added it to the OP!
Thanks. I tried to add a little humour in there too. I hope I didn't make too many typos...

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
I don't think the odds are in his favor, especially without any new game on the horizon. That said, his conspicuous absence from SSB4 plus the new Dark Dawn music added in does make me wonder if Sakurai had a grander plan for the series.
We had seven years between the release of The Lost Age and the announcement of Dark Dawn, we're also pushing on the sixth year since a new game has been announced. In addition, after Camelot released Mario Golf on the 3DS last year, we haven't heard any significant news from them in almost a year. Another Golden Sun announcement, hopefully, might not be too far off the horizon.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I expect Isaac in Smash would practically guarantee an eventual fourth iteration in the series. Look what it did for FE and KI.

ZarroTsu

Smash Journeyman
Alright, Reddit has convinced me to write this delicate post. Formost, put me down as supportive of Issac in Smash. I don't want complications otherwise.

I own Golden Sun and the Lost Age, and I... used to like them. They were games I (had my parents reluctantly) bought during the earlier GBA years, and they were a pair of games that I played through to completion (at least a few times), stars in my eyes and all.

After several years (aka a few years ago) I stumbled across the Let's Play Archive, and began reading some Screenshot LPs, eventually stumbling across one of Golden Sun. Now, I stand to be one whose opinion can be swayed by deep analysis and witty humor, but this particular LP changed my outlook on Golden Sun. Kind of like one of those click-baity ads, only for realsies.

The Let's Play in question is HERE. I highly recommend both reading it, and keeping an open or lax mind while doing so. This LP can sting a bit if you're a strong fan of the game, but it goes the extra mile and suggests ways in which the game could have been drastically improved.

The reason I bring it up, of course, is the people at Reddit really don't like the possibility of people who have never heard of Golden Sun stumbling across it and it changing opinions outright. With that said, however, I'd argue it better to challenge opinions rather than leave people blindly voting for the character for his positives, without ever acknowledging or remembering the negatives. It's a stronger character if you accept both. Also I kind of really liked the LP? Please don't run me off the forum with pitchforks and torches.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Hey guys, I am not a Miiverse artist but thought I could take a shot at making a Miiverse drawing for #IsaacForSmash. Although now that I look at it, it looked better on the 3DS, the higher resolution makes it .... not that great.

Still check it out. (If possible, yeahs would be nice to bump it up)

Capture.PNG

Now I gotta go work on my drawing skills. After I finish studying >.<

Alright, Reddit has convinced me to write this delicate post. Formost, put me down as supportive of Issac in Smash. I don't want complications otherwise.

I own Golden Sun and the Lost Age, and I... used to like them. They were games I (had my parents reluctantly) bought during the earlier GBA years, and they were a pair of games that I played through to completion (at least a few times), stars in my eyes and all.

After several years (aka a few years ago) I stumbled across the Let's Play Archive, and began reading some Screenshot LPs, eventually stumbling across one of Golden Sun. Now, I stand to be one whose opinion can be swayed by deep analysis and witty humor, but this particular LP changed my outlook on Golden Sun. Kind of like one of those click-baity ads, only for realsies.

The Let's Play in question is HERE. I highly recommend both reading it, and keeping an open or lax mind while doing so. This LP can sting a bit if you're a strong fan of the game, but it goes the extra mile and suggests ways in which the game could have been drastically improved.

The reason I bring it up, of course, is the people at Reddit really don't like the possibility of people who have never heard of Golden Sun stumbling across it and it changing opinions outright. With that said, however, I'd argue it better to challenge opinions rather than leave people blindly voting for the character for his positives, without ever acknowledging or remembering the negatives. It's a stronger character if you accept both. Also I kind of really liked the LP? Please don't run me off the forum with pitchforks and torches.
I have checked out that LP archive before, and most of the reasons for that were kinda pretty lame (size of fences, size of gaps between jumpable platforms, inability to swim, all that stuff). Plus the storyline of GS was never supremely astounding anyway. Still refreshing outlook on the game nonetheless :p

I don't believe many will be affected by it.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

I read the intro... to me it seems like a Zero Punctuation sort of deal where it's overly critical for the sake of being overly critical, but if he's serious, well then... I guess the game isn't for him. No game is for everyone. However at least he tried it. As it is I have nothing against challenging opinions or preconceived ideals, but by no means should people only heed the opinion of a single source if they're seeking to actually form their own opinion, because that's doing no more than simply supplanting someone else's views as your own. At that point really the most you can do is, short of getting them to try the game for themselves, point them in the direction of other opinions on the matter and hope they have enough of an open mind to extend their perspective.

Hey guys, I am not a Miiverse artist but thought I could take a shot at making a Miiverse drawing for #IsaacForSmash. Although now that I look at it, it looked better on the 3DS, the higher resolution makes it .... not that great.

Still check it out. (If possible, yeahs would bump it up)

View attachment 46628

Now I gotta go work on my drawing skills. After I finish studying >.<.
Nice!

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I read the intro... to me it seems like a Zero Punctuation sort of deal where it's overly critical for the sake of being overly critical, but if he's serious, well then... I guess the game isn't for him. No game is for everyone. However at least he tried it. As it is I have nothing against challenging opinions or preconceived ideals, but by no means should people only heed the opinion of a single source if they're seeking to actually form their own opinion, because that's doing no more than simply supplanting someone else's views as your own. At that point really the most you can do is, short of getting them to try the game for themselves, point them in the direction of other opinions on the matter and hoping they have enough of an open mind to extend their perspective.
That guy actually plays both of the games to full completion.

He seems as more of a person who criticizes the game for the sake of criticizing. And that too, over the top. I had read a large portion of it before and I got bored out all the problems he pointed out, where 90% of them were not even problems and 9% were exaggerated. The remainder might have been true. This is just my opinion on his LP though.
Thanks! It's been a while since I drew something so pardon the fuzzy lines and stuff.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That guy actually plays both of the games to full completion.

He seems as more of a person who criticizes the game for the sake of criticizing. And that too, over the top. I had read a large portion of it before and I got bored out all the problems he pointed out, where 90% of them were not even problems and 9% were exaggerated. The remainder might have been true. This is just my opinion on his LP though.
Right I did see all the chapters underneath, I was just wondering if he was completely serious in his writing or was doing the overly critical shtick, because from the intro, to me it seemed like the latter.

But yeah, even if he's not of course he's entitled to his opinion, I'd just hate for others to have their opinion of the game clouded before they sought elsewhere for a different take.

Thanks! It's been a while since I drew something so pardon the fuzzy lines and stuff.
Every bit helps!

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Every bit helps!
Yea but I think that my post might not be as visible as I want it to be.

I have yet to buy Smash, hence people who are seeing posts of only the people who have played the game before won't be able to see my post unless they set visibility to all. >.<

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
The OP had a few sample movesets in spoiler tags so it appears that such things are permissible here. My ideas:

Neutral 1: Move. The nondamaging hand from his assist trophy, scaled down of course.
Neutral 2: Catch. The hand reaches forward a few character lengths and grabs someone to drop at Isaac's feet. No damage.
Neutral 3: Force. The hand makes a fist and lunges forward. Does a bit of damage.

Side 1: Ragnarok. A glowing sword appears over Isaac's head and descends at an angle similar to Arcfire. Causes a small explosion on impact.
Side 2: Heat Wave. A surge of flame that goes straight forward a good distance.
Side 3: Astral Blast. A small flurry of colorful star shapes that goes upward at an angle.

Up 1: Retreat. Isaac turns into a glowing ball of light that he can move wherever he pleases before reforming a few seconds later. The ball does light (heh) damage.
Up 2: Teleport. Isaac bursts into a shower of light and reforms a distance away.
Up 3: Hover. Isaac creates a glowing platform underneath his feet that he can use to walk on air for a few seconds, similar to Peach's float. No vertical distance on its own, although he can still use his double jump if he has one. Attacking will use an aerial and end the move instantly.

Down 1: Gaia. Earth magic that erupts from the ground. Can be charged for extra damage.
Down 2: Quake. A magical earthquake. Charging increases the horizontal range but not the damage.
Down 3: Growth. Vines grow out of control. Charging makes them grow higher but again doesn't increase damage.

Final Smash: Odyssey. A small magic sword shoots forward a short distance. If it hits, more small swords pierce the target from various directions before Isaac creates a gigantic one to shove forward. (But I'm sure most people here are familiar with how Odyssey looks.)

I tried to make a point of limiting the moves to spells Isaac could actually learn, whether it be from his base class, a reclass, or equipping an item.

IDK what his normals could be. Djinn seem like an obvious option, and some Psynergy like Spire could be interesting as projectile normals.

Last edited:

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799
Nicely done! I'm a little tired of teleportation moves, but overall I'd be satisfied with a moveset like that. Love the inclusion of Astral Blast, that's one of my favorite spells in the game, in terms of usefulness and appearance. Needs more Douse though. *runs*

It is funny that Isaac is so well known for Venus psynergy and I'm sure most people stick with Squire/Knight for a while, but I love him having Mars and Jupiter stuff instead...maybe I just like being different. :c

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Nicely done! I'm a little tired of teleportation moves, but overall I'd be satisfied with a moveset like that. Love the inclusion of Astral Blast, that's one of my favorite spells in the game, in terms of usefulness and appearance. Needs more Douse though. *runs*

It is funny that Isaac is so well known for Venus psynergy and I'm sure most people stick with Squire/Knight for a while, but I love him having Mars and Jupiter stuff instead...maybe I just like being different. :c
Nah, I love the Mars and Jupiter classes myself.

Whenever I play Golden Sun (except my absolute first playthrough), my Venus adept i.e. Isaac or later Felix are in their Jupiter class, i.e. Apprentice and later Illusionist. Gotta love that Astral Blast :)

Later I switch 'em out for Ninja or the Samurai classes. Venus, Jupiter and Mars is the ultimate offensive combination. I really want to see some Ninja, Ronin moves and now Astral Blast in Isaac's moveset if possible.

I don't mind pure Venus though cause that is the likeliest route his moveset will take. But if he gets a multi-elemental moveset, I am all game!

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman
. I highly recommend both reading it, and keeping an open or lax mind while doing so. This LP can sting a bit if you're a strong fan of the game, but it goes the extra mile and suggests ways in which the game could have been drastically improved.
This LP actually comes up a lot on Gamefaqs, and while it provides some good points, and even offers suggestions to repair them, but a lot of what it pointed out isn't what golden Sun is about. Golden Sun is about the adventure, about being both that small ant in a massive world while also being a giant among men,

As adepts, our heroes stand head and shoulders above the normal folk, and for some this goes even deeper, but even with the ability to twist the very fundamental elements of the world to their will, They are still fallible, still human. They feel loss, they know fear, but through it all they use their powers for the greater good (and the collection of fun little trinkets and beings of magic)

I respect the opinion of the LPer, but I disagree wholeheartedly, and still play all three games each year to experience that feeling of importance and impotence.

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880

Damn, I must really look like a goddamn dragon when I write. I never wanted to traumatize you, on Reddit. I should add a "I'm a nice guy, I bark but I don't bite" sign somewhere. :sadeyes:

Oh well, hello everyone, I'm back! Huh, since the announcement of the ballot, I'm campaigning again everywhere I can to make a lot of people vote and support Isaac. Of course with a lot of passion like always.

I agree with the idea of avoiding showing a sword in Isaac's hands when we can, it will be easier for us to make people understand that he's not just "another swordsman". I guess we should keep focusing on Venus Psynergy too.

I'll try to bring you some neat things to spread the Golden Sun love until October! And until our victory, I hope! :drflip:

ZarroTsu

Smash Journeyman
I'm not blaming any specific person @ Falgor Falgor ; rather I would bring up the LP and get downvoted to hell with people complaining specifically about the way the LP was written, and not necessarily what it was talking about.

What stands out the most about the LP is not the complaints he makes (Which I think it's the norm on SomethingAwful to exaggerate statements for humor anyway), but the multiple "Fixing Golden Sun" parts (I recommend above the rest of the LP because he isn't making fun of the game, he's sitting down and actually writing hands-on approaches to improving it). They stand out, to me, as someone who is looking for the good as-is and sharing ways in which it could have been so much better. Things like Mia's lack of an actual character, for example, or latter parts of the first game's story doing nothing but pad the game. Even just the intro to the second game stands out to me, because... Why exactly DOES Felix mope and say nothing to Sheba while they're drifting on a piece of land in the middle of the ocean? Why DOESN'T Felix tell Sheba what his goal is, and better set that goal up for the player to understand, instead of waiting until half-way through the game before telling you?

It's like if you played Dragon Warrior but don't get told that your mission is to fight the Dragon Lord until you're 50% done the game. That seems like a no-brainer, but it's easy to overlook because... Well, fans of the game have already passed that 50%. It's hard to remember what the motivation to play is until that point. Because the animations are neat? Because you wanted to know what you didn't yet?

I'm personally used to the Zero-Punctuation-esque snark, though, since several screenshot LPs are sort of like that. Many of the ones I read beforehand were games I'd never heard of, mind you*, but even other games I like I had a laugh reading. Things I hadn't noticed before get center spotlight. Maybe a gap in a fence isn't a tangable flaw, but from the perspective of "what if these events were real" (which should be the goal of any RPG writer, to enforce the player to think in such a way), one has to wonder why the protagonists didn't capitalize on these things.

Like think realistically: If a bridge were out and you need to go to the other side, would you (a) build a raft, or (b) travel half-way around the continent and back to get to the other side? The LP laughs at the game because the choices are almost always (b). Overlooking that is equally as silly.

I think it's a matter of loving a game enough to laugh with it too. Maybe that wasn't the writer's goal, but it's what I got out of reading it.

*Footnote: I've bought at least one or two after reading certain LPs. I'd have never heard of Radiant Historia if not for that.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I'm not blaming any specific person @ Falgor Falgor ; rather I would bring up the LP and get downvoted to hell with people complaining specifically about the way the LP was written, and not necessarily what it was talking about.

What stands out the most about the LP is not the complaints he makes (Which I think it's the norm on SomethingAwful to exaggerate statements for humor anyway), but the multiple "Fixing Golden Sun" parts (I recommend above the rest of the LP because he isn't making fun of the game, he's sitting down and actually writing hands-on approaches to improving it). They stand out, to me, as someone who is looking for the good as-is and sharing ways in which it could have been so much better. Things like Mia's lack of an actual character, for example, or latter parts of the first game's story doing nothing but pad the game. Even just the intro to the second game stands out to me, because... Why exactly DOES Felix mope and say nothing to Sheba while they're drifting on a piece of land in the middle of the ocean? Why DOESN'T Felix tell Sheba what his goal is, and better set that goal up for the player to understand, instead of waiting until half-way through the game before telling you?

It's like if you played Dragon Warrior but don't get told that your mission is to fight the Dragon Lord until you're 50% done the game. That seems like a no-brainer, but it's easy to overlook because... Well, fans of the game have already passed that 50%. It's hard to remember what the motivation to play is until that point. Because the animations are neat? Because you wanted to know what you didn't yet?

I'm personally used to the Zero-Punctuation-esque snark, though, since several screenshot LPs are sort of like that. Many of the ones I read beforehand were games I'd never heard of, mind you, but even other games I like I had a laugh reading. Things I hadn't noticed before get center spotlight. Maybe a gap in a fence isn't a tangable flaw, but from the perspective of "what if these events were real" (which should be the goal of any RPG writer, to enforce the player to think in such a way), one has to wonder why the protagonists didn't capitalize on these things.

Like think realistically: If a bridge were out and you need to go to the other side, would you (a) build a raft, or (b) travel half-way around the continent and back to get to the other side? The LP laughs at the game because the choices are almost always (b). Overlooking that is equally as silly.

I think it's a matter of loving a game enough to laugh with it too. Maybe that wasn't the writer's goal, but it's what I got out of reading it.
Well I did say it was refreshing to get that outlook on the game. Some of his points are valid and most of them are storyline points. And I would definitely say that Golden Sun would not be winning any awards for its storyline but it sure as well have a great puzzle based dungeon system and a varying combat system (albeit a bit broken with summons).

I agree that we don't see much character development in the game, or dialogues but that is not we all love the game for anyway. Obviously some points are also related to the relative size of objects in the game. What seems like a raft-crossable distance may not be so. Heck the fences look ****** sized and he does bring that up in his LP that why can't they just jump over. Cause it's not to scale.

I still think that he liked the game more than he led the readers to believe. I mean why would he play through both games in their entirety with 100% completion.

Edit: I also had a good laugh out of his many points but at quite some points his overtly exaggerated criticism does get annoying.

Last edited:

ZarroTsu

Smash Journeyman
Some SA Let's Plays open with a 'toxx clause', a sort of promise to its readers to assure the Let's Play doesn't get abandoned half-way through. Most Let's Plays sort of do a 100% run regardless, either to showcase how great a game, or to ward people away from throwing money down for it.

I'd have to agree that he may have liked the game, or at the very least what the game could/should have been had it been given more polish. It's evident in his suggested improvements, and the thought put into them from a practical standpoint. It's entirely possible he was doing it out of obligation though, I don't know.

Also dear lord I forgot about this part. This is the 'Air's Rock' dungeon from the second game, which took him 37 minutes to complete, compared to the first 37 minutes of golden sun (bottom right), and the first 37 minutes of Chrono Trigger (top right) for comparison of how long 37 minutes is for a dungeon.

I... don't envy him in the slightest.

Last edited:

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
Golden Sun, to me, has never been about the plot. The plot is sort of generic and not super interesting. It's not BAD, it's certainly got it's charm and it tells its story well enough to make it entertaining, but it's definitely not untreaded path.

I think what makes Golden Sun stand out is that it has great music, really appealing art, and it FEELS satisfying to play. The puzzles are well designed and fun to figure out, the battle system is unique and every line of text comes with the animation of that happening, so you get these rad little freeze-frames of your character, and the sound effects make each hit feel weighty, and each kill feel like the enemy is just fading into dust from what you just did.

Levelling up is fast, and feels fun, and finding Djinn is a really cool scavenger hunt.

Golden Sun games are satisfying and cute. They're not masterpieces, but they're just... Great fun! And that's fine.

Dhragen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dhragen
Well, no game is perfect or is for anybody, but it's understandable why they not acknowledge the negatives. Is not like them being stubborn, but because that's not how advertizing works. If you advertizing or selling a product, or a public image on a campain, you need that image to look good, and naming the negative elements just make the target public/consumers to turn away, and with a campain, you want to do the opossite, to attract/appeal the public

One could acknoledge the negatives once the game/product resolved them, which makes them possitives instead (Example: We all know normal Coca-cola has a lot of sugar, but the company not acknowledge that on their propaganda. However, with Diet Cola and Coca-cola zero, they acklowledge the amount of sugar as a new selling factor for their new product).

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
The plot to Golden Sun is actually pretty good. It's characterization is not stellar. It takes the same approach as most Fire Emblem games. Loosely defining characters by tropes and obvious traits so that you can fill in the blanks with your own preferences. Which can work really well if you don't over-analyze things, because you CAN fill in those blanks, and get attached to a character that is half your own.

But, where the game truly shines is in its world. Weyard is an absolute joy to explore, on a level that surpasses almost every other RPG. World exploration was what MADE classic JRPGs. You want to talk about the traditional Final Fantasy games? They have just as many plot holes and inconsistencies as Golden Sun (though the characters are more fleshed out). But where they excelled was in creating a world that was just a blast to explore.

Golden Sun took that up to 11. There is so much to explore in Weyard. You had a world that FELT like a world. It was a consistent whole. The people and towns felt alive. The world itself was interesting, just to walk through and explore. Yes, the plot was a straightforward trek towards a single objective, but you didn't care because of all the incredible places it took you. You weren't just taking a ride, you were exploring a WORLD, and it felt like it.

No game, EVER, has captured the sense of exploration and adventure better than Golden Sun.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well, yeah, I'm well aware that characterization and storytelling are not Golden Sun's strong points. Golden Sun's strong points are its great puzzles and unique take on classic turn-based RPG gameplay, plus, as @ Skyblade12 Skyblade12 puts it, the worldbuilding. That's where Golden Sun stands out.

I'd absolutely LOVE a huge character-driven GS game in the future, but overall its not about the characters, its about the gameplay and what the characters can do, as well as just exploring the world.

The main reason why we want Isaac is because he's the Marth of the series; he's the first main character of the series and he's appeared in every game to date as a party member, and WILL appear in at least GS4 as well (assuming its made). Since Isaac is also very similar to Matthew, Matthew could be an alt of Isaac if they go with Young Isaac. Or if they go with Adult Isaac they have a much more original take on the "stereotypical" anime swordsman in Smash.

Calane

Smash Ace
I was thinking, what with people bringing up the idea of a Matthew alt (an idea of which I absolutely love, since Matthew was the protagonist of my first GS adventure) how would you all feel if they made Matthew playable and Young Isaac his alt. Would that matter to anyone? I'm a little curious as all. I personally wouldn't mind at all, since Isaac becomes playable anyway, and I personally prefer Matthew's design, but how would that affect others? I think it would anger quite a lot of people, but in a way, I think it'd be good for the series moving forward since I hear Matthew will be the protagonist from now on (Though I forgot where I heard this). I'm not saying it's likely at all, in fact, I don't think this even has a chance of happening, I'm just curious how you'd all feel about it.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I was thinking, what with people bringing up the idea of a Matthew alt (an idea of which I absolutely love, since Matthew was the protagonist of my first GS adventure) how would you all feel if they made Matthew playable and Young Isaac his alt. Would that matter to anyone? I'm a little curious as all. I personally wouldn't mind at all, since Isaac becomes playable anyway, and I personally prefer Matthew's design, but how would that affect others? I think it would anger quite a lot of people, but in a way, I think it'd be good for the series moving forward since I hear Matthew will be the protagonist from now on (Though I forgot where I heard this). I'm not saying it's likely at all, in fact, I don't think this even has a chance of happening, I'm just curious how you'd all feel about it.
Honestly, I think it would be a bad idea, but at the same time, it wouldn't matter to most of us. Any Golden Sun representation is good Golden Sun representation.

But Isaac really is the face of the franchise. He's the first hero, and the one that stands out to the most people. The same way Marth got in as the first hero of Fire Emblem.

Smash isn't about games moving forward. Smash is a celebration of history. Isaac is Golden Sun's history.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I see little chance of Matthew getting top billing. As for Matthew being an alt of Isaac I see a high chance of that happening, far more than any other characters.

The thing is, regardless of how GS goes in the future, Isaac is still the original main protagonist and is the most recurring main character to date. So I still think Isaac would remain with top billing in Smash regardless of how GS goes going forward, since he's the "Marth" of the series. Technically he's not the "main" character in more than one game, but he's still a central character in GS2.

Coaltergeist

Smash Apprentice
I made this infographic detailing some of the many reasons you should go Golden. Thanks for all of the art; I used a bit in the infographic! Beware; it is huge.
Visit the Isaac Inn Facebook page for other updates and to spread the word! (apparently can't post links, haven't posted here enough, so pardon the broken link)
ht tps://w ww.facebook.com/pages/The-Isaac-Inn/458677150951045

Go Isaac!

Calane

Smash Ace
I see little chance of Matthew getting top billing. As for Matthew being an alt of Isaac I see a high chance of that happening, far more than any other characters.

The thing is, regardless of how GS goes in the future, Isaac is still the original main protagonist and is the most recurring main character to date. So I still think Isaac would remain with top billing in Smash regardless of how GS goes going forward, since he's the "Marth" of the series. Technically he's not the "main" character in more than one game, but he's still a central character in GS2.
I agree with both of you, actually. Just wanted to see how some people would feel. I too highly doubt Matthew would be chosen over Isaac, it just wouldn't seem right. But I would love to see an alt for him. Isaac is somewhat of the face of the series, it's only right he be the one to represent it. Thanks for actually giving me a nice answer. I was expecting to be yelled at and called an idiot.

Last edited:

Coaltergeist

Smash Apprentice
The plot to Golden Sun is actually pretty good. It's characterization is not stellar. It takes the same approach as most Fire Emblem games. Loosely defining characters by tropes and obvious traits so that you can fill in the blanks with your own preferences. Which can work really well if you don't over-analyze things, because you CAN fill in those blanks, and get attached to a character that is half your own.

But, where the game truly shines is in its world. Weyard is an absolute joy to explore, on a level that surpasses almost every other RPG. World exploration was what MADE classic JRPGs. You want to talk about the traditional Final Fantasy games? They have just as many plot holes and inconsistencies as Golden Sun (though the characters are more fleshed out). But where they excelled was in creating a world that was just a blast to explore.

Golden Sun took that up to 11. There is so much to explore in Weyard. You had a world that FELT like a world. It was a consistent whole. The people and towns felt alive. The world itself was interesting, just to walk through and explore. Yes, the plot was a straightforward trek towards a single objective, but you didn't care because of all the incredible places it took you. You weren't just taking a ride, you were exploring a WORLD, and it felt like it.

No game, EVER, has captured the sense of exploration and adventure better than Golden Sun.
When I first saw that lp on the archive a while ago, I wasn't angry that he (and many others) thought it was bad. I was honestly kind of sad that they couldn't see it like I saw it: a great game with great world-building, wonderful set pieces, amazing music, and timeless (if not somewhat underdeveloped) characters. Does it have flaws? Absolutely. Is it worse than just about any given Final Fantasy game in those same terms? Maybe. Not in my opinion, however. I love it now and will always love it. Go Isaac.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Loads of new people coming to the thread in light of the recent voting.

Great to see Isaac in top 15, but I want to know if he is in top 5 or not.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Just wondering: is Golden Sun really... dead?

The reception towards Dark Dawn was rather negative by the fanbase and it didn't sell well, making it a franchise killer.

Well either way, Isaac being in could trigger a revival.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Just wondering: is Golden Sun really... dead?

The reception towards Dark Dawn was rather negative by the fanbase and it didn't sell well, making it a franchise killer.

Well either way, Isaac being in could trigger a revival.
Not necessarily. We still have no idea what Camelot is doing right now (and based on what we know about Camelot, the #1 most likely thing they could do right now is Golden Sun 4), but even if they're not working on GS4, if Isaac gets into Smash, GS4 WILL happen. And if GS4 IS in development now Isaac is nearly guaranteed for Smash.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I made this infographic detailing some of the many reasons you should go Golden. Thanks for all of the art; I used a bit in the infographic! Beware; it is huge.
Visit the Isaac Inn Facebook page for other updates and to spread the word! (apparently can't post links, haven't posted here enough, so pardon the broken link)
ht tps://w ww.facebook.com/pages/The-Isaac-Inn/458677150951045

Go Isaac!
It's nice but I feel it's really important to emphasize Isaac's earth manipulating ability. It's the real meat of his moveset.

Here guys found this on twitter.
That's pretty good for Isaac considering there's a load of 3rd parties and questionable Nintendo characters (Ice Climbers, Ridley, Waluigi etc) on that list.

Last edited:

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
At this point, I'm almost sure that Wolf is a shoe-in (looking at you Starfox U). As for the rest, well, I believe the final showdown will probably be between Isaac and King K. Rool (I don't see Nintendo adding any more 3rd parties).

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
At this point, I'm almost sure that Wolf is a shoe-in (looking at you Starfox U). As for the rest, well, I believe the final showdown will probably be between Isaac and King K. Rool (I don't see Nintendo adding any more 3rd parties).
Why not have both?

After three veterans (Mewtwo, Lucas, and presumably Wolf), I don't think two newcomers is asking for way too much?

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
Even with Bayonetta, Shovel Knight, and Roy?
I would like Roy, as for Bayo and Shovel Knight, just don't...

Why not have both?

After three veterans (Mewtwo, Lucas, and presumably Wolf), I don't think two newcomers is asking for way too much?
That would be the ideal and those newcomers would probably sell like hot breads.

Spatman

Smash Ace
No, please no, the third (semi)Marth no!
I understand there are Roy's fans, but at this moment he would be a waste of a precious dlc slot

Last edited:
Top Bottom