• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
You just proved my point. You JUST said that you only read so you could get AR points. I said you gotta read books that you WANT to read, not just books you want to read for AR points. Anyways, REAL books aren't good until you're old and you can think about it better.

And yeah...just when you think he's hit rock bottom.
I am older. I have thought about it better. Trust me, i WANT to read. I want to experience that "sit down by a cozy fire with a warm cup of coco and read a book" feeling but then i realize how much better it is to sit down by a cozy fire with a warm cup of coco and watch Ironman(for example) on bluray. Books still make for great toilet paper and door stoppers though.

Xyro77

lmao!

You've single handedly invalidated every argument you could have ever formulated about literature. Congrats.
So i have to finish a book in order to form an opinion? You are ****ing ********. Ive halfway or 1/4 of the way read trillions of books. Most are so boring to finish yet i still know whats going on and can still see how it doesnt stack up to movies.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
it doesnt have to be. a text/paper form of charizard vs magmar cannot match the tv version.
well, it's not like that's a hype scene or anything.

I doubt that you've ever even read a manga then watched it's anime version.

Smoom77

Smash Master
If you want to read, why don't you try? You don't gotta read an entire collection. Is it really that difficult and painful to read one book?

And yes, you have to finish a book to really have an opinion on it. Because obviously the last book you read was Hank the Cowdog.

Gnes

Smash Master
So i have to finish a book in order to form an opinion? You are ****ing ********. Ive halfway or 1/4 of the way read trillions of books. Most are so boring to finish yet i still know whats going on and can still see how it doesnt stack up to movies.
1. Argument does not =opinion
2. How could you possibly expect anyone to respect your opinion of literature when you clearly have very little knowledge on the subject? Like your post was just the final nail in the coffin.

Xyro77

If you want to read, why don't you try? You don't gotta read an entire collection. Is it really that difficult and painful to read one book?
I have been off an on reading this book about the making of the first atomic bomb(history/weapon=my fav things to read about) and its not good at all. Its taken me 2 years to get halfway through it. So yea, if a book has things in it that i like and its STILL not good.....finishing one book IS painful.

And yes, you have to finish a book to really have an opinion on it. Because obviously the last book you read was Hank the Cowdog.
You are ********. You as well as everybody else on this planet form opinions about movies/books/games/people with out knowing it all or finishing it.

Xyro77

1. Argument does not =opinion
2. How could you possibly expect anyone to respect your opinion of literature when you clearly have very little knowledge on the subject? Like your post was just the final nail in the coffin.
If my argument consists of my opinion then yes it does =opinion. And i dont care/have never cared if people respect my opinion. They can deal with it.

Smoom77

Smash Master
I have been off an on reading this book about the making of the first atomic bomb(history/weapon=my fav things to read about) and its not good at all. Its taken me 2 years to get halfway through it. So yea, if a book has things in it that i like and its STILL not good.....finishing one book IS painful.
Aren't we talking about movies and books? Not documentaries and books? Documentaries (the equivalent of historical nonfiction) are not the same as action movies, which we have been discussing this whole time.

You are ********. You as well as everybody else on this planet form opinions about movies/books/games/people with out knowing it all or finishing it.
I didn't make an opinion or assumption. You just told me the last book you read was in 7th grade. Hank the Cowdog.

Xyro77

Aren't we talking about movies and books? Not documentaries and books? Documentaries (the equivalent of historical nonfiction) are not the same as action movies, which we have been discussing this whole time.
I gave you an example of a book that has 2 things i REALLY like in it. And since i said the book is not good then that means there is no hope of finding a random book good that doesnt have those 2 things.

I didn't make an opinion or assumption. You just told me the last book you read was in 7th grade. Hank the Cowdog.
Dude you read it 100% wrong.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Ender's Game is one of my favorite books, but Speaker for the Dead is even better than Ender's Game.

Have you read any in the series other than Ender's Game?
I've read up to Shadow of the Hegemon. I don't even know which is my favorite, they're all so good. Although I've definitely read Ender's Game more than any of the others.

Just when you think he's hit rock bottom...
I took AR tests for people over Little Women (36 points) from 3rd grade through 5th. $5 each. It was pretty badass.

If my argument consists of my opinion then yes it does =opinion. And i dont care/have never cared if people respect my opinion. They can deal with it.
You all have to realize that Xyro's opinion on this doesn't come from mental stimulation, like thinking and that kind of thing., he's arguing for physical (visual) stimulation. It's simpler and requires no effort on the part of the person being entertained, which in his opinion = better, because that's what he wants. Doesn't care about theme and meaning and stuff, just cheap, mindless thrill. It's like arguing about tastes in music. Classical music has all the wonderful elements and such. Music like rap and punk are very straight-forward (simple) with often catchy beat. It's two completely different things, two completely different purposes for listening. You'll never get anywhere, unfortunately.

Gnes

Smash Master
Well now that I think about it, I also wouldn't care if people respected my opinion about literature if the last book I read was in 7th grade about a Cowdog. Just sort of seems that's the way things should be.

Honestly, there's no problem with you stating that you prefer watching movies to reading books. But when you start spouting off incorrect statements, horrible generalizations, etc. about literature your obviously gonna get called out on it. ESPECIALLY WHEN THE HIGHEST LVL of literature you've completed is HANK THE COWDOG. Come on man.

Your opinions themselves aren't the issue. Its the incorrect information that fuels those opinions that are the problem.

Xyro77

im not giving out incorrect info. im giving info based off my experience with books and movies. You and other ******* who focus on "oh u only completed a dog book back in 7th grade so u dont know anything/are wrong" are potentially more moronic than i am. As ive said before i have read PLENTY of books halfway but quit because they just were not good. NO ONE needs to completely finish a book in order to form an opinion. Im sorry if you cant handle my opinion or what YOU call "incorrect info"(lol like YOU know what i know from MY experience) but its something you gotta deal with cause i aint stoppin any time soon.

Smoom77

Smash Master
I've read up to Shadow of the Hegemon. I don't even know which is my favorite, they're all so good. Although I've definitely read Ender's Game more than any of the others.
There isn't a true order so I don't really know which ones you've read, haha.

I've read Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, and Speaker for the Dead. I started reading Shadow Puppets, but I hadn't read Ender's Game for a year or two so it was a bit difficult to follow.

I started reading The Worthing Saga. For some reason that I don't remember, I stopped reading it but it was good of what I read!

Reizilla

Ah;, well the order I've gone by is by when they were written, save for Ender's Game being first. So, Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind, then Bean's series, Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, then, I forget what's after that because I haven't gotten there x)

Gnes

Smash Master
im not giving out incorrect info. im giving info based off my experience with books and movies. You and other ******* who focus on "oh u only completed a dog book back in 7th grade so u dont know anything/are wrong" are potentially more moronic than i am. As ive said before i have read PLENTY of books halfway but quit because they just were not good. NO ONE needs to completely finish a book in order to form an opinion. Im sorry if you cant handle my opinion or what YOU call "incorrect info"(lol like YOU know what i know from MY experience) but its something you gotta deal with cause i aint stoppin any time soon.
Lmaoooo. My incorrect info was referring back to your argument with Gea. It was regarding stuff he called you out on but gave up on explaining because he realized that with your sub-par knowledge of literature combined with other things that in the end he would just be wasting energy.

Reizilla

True, I just like to support things I like, particularly if the author/artist is still alive and not addicted to drugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom