• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I had already figured out who Metal Face was, but I didn't suspect Fiora to be Silver Face. I thought they had actually recovered her body after the attack on Colony 9. I didn't notice the mechon swarming her mobile artillery during my first playthrough of Xenoblade. :p
Oddly enough, I figured out Fiora was Face Nemesis but I was blindsided by Mumkhar being Metal Face. Opposite of you, really. :p I'd forgotten all about Mumkhar, actually. I figured Fiora out because I looked up the best gifts to give other party members, and lo and behold, Fiora was on there. Add in all of the achievements dealing with her and the fact that half of the Heart-to-Hearts were locked, and then when you see Shulk's vision and he cuts open Face Nemesis to see part of a person... I just put two and two together. Though there were still enough surprises in the story to keep me interested.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:
So. . . Along with The Legend of Zelda for Wii U, I was thinking about Xenoblade Chronicles X a lot today, and I'm just so eager to see more! I'm certain my sentiments are shared by everyone here as well. TLoZ, being my favorite franchise of any medium, and how I hold Xenoblade Chronicles as one of the overall best games I have ever played, 2015 with those two games alone is going to treat me well (not to mention what will be my ongoing competitive SSB4 play, Yoshi's Whooly World, Splatoon, etc.).

On the topic as to whether XCX is a sequel and / or related to XC in any way. . . I'm starting to believe it isn't outside of things such as references, easter eggs, etc. Personally, I don't really care either way. From what I've seen, I plan to play the game for hours on end regardless. Rather, I've always been wondering about the scenery and music; I do hope and await to be mesmerized for what XCX has in store for us. The most common example would be the effect Satorl Marsh at night had on many XC players, myself included. It was just incredible visually, and at the same time, instrumentally soothing. Things akin to that nature are honestly amongst what I want to experience the most in XCX, and I've confidence in the elite team at Monolith Soft and composer Hiroyuki Sawano to make it happen.

Last edited:

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
XCX SSB4 and Splatoon all look amazing, and I think i'm going to cry when I get each of them
I think I'm going to cry when I don't have the money for all of them. I just barely saved up enough money for XCX, now I can't spend any of it, because I know XCX is the one thing I absolutely MUST have.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I tried to play Xenoblade Chronicles and honestly the gameplay really bothered me. Not up my alley. I can't stand real-time RPGs they just remind me of MMOs which also bug me. Despite this I think I'll watch an LP so as to experience the story, and I still support Shulk for SSB4 if only for the unique look of his character and the world he lives in.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Is Fiora Seven, or is Seven a clone of Shulk? I saw somebody suggust Seven as a clone of Shulk earlier (not in this thread), and it confused me a bit. I know Fiora lives, and I know Seven is like a secret-ish party member, but I don't know if they're one and the same, and I'm not looking it up myself because I don't want to go on a Wiki spree and read everything and spoil all the plot twists, even though I know most of them already because of this thread, haha.

Last edited:

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
I think I'm going to cry when I don't have the money for all of them. I just barely saved up enough money for XCX, now I can't spend any of it, because I know XCX is the one thing I absolutely MUST have.
I'm lucky because my birthdays in september. So i'm preordering Hyrule Warriors, both Smash Versions and Alpha Sapphire.
Then on christams, i'm planning on XBX and Splatoon.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
:link:
So. . . Along with The Legend of Zelda for Wii U, I was thinking about Xenoblade Chronicles X a lot today, and I'm just so eager to see more! I'm certain my sentiments are shared by everyone here as well. TLoZ, being my favorite franchise of any medium, and how I hold Xenoblade Chronicles as one of the overall best games I have ever played, 2015 with those two games alone is going to treat me well (not to mention what will be my ongoing competitive SSB4 play, Yoshi's Whooly World, Splatoon, etc.).

On the topic as to whether XCX is a sequel and / or related to XC in any way. . . I'm starting to believe it isn't outside of things such as references, easter eggs, etc. Personally, I don't really care either way. From what I've seen, I plan to play the game for hours on end regardless. Rather, I've always been wondering about the scenery and music; I do hope and await to be mesmerized for what XCX has in store for us. The most common example would be the effect Satorl Marsh at night had on many XC players, myself included. It was just incredible visually, and at the same time, instrumentally soothing. Things akin to that nature are honestly amongst what I want to experience the most in XCX, and I've confidence in the elite team at Monolith Soft and composer Hiroyuki Sawano to make it happen.
I personally would rather have the two not be related at all. While it would be nice to see Shulk and co. back in action, I feel like their story was wrapped up pretty well, and I hate sequels for the sake of sequels. If there's more of a story you have to tell, great! Make a sequel. But if a story is done, like I think Xenoblade's is, then don't make a sequel. Make a spiritual sequel instead. 'Course, I'd still be fine with it taking place several hundred years AFTER Xenoblade, the way Fire Emblem: Awakening is to Marth's games. Because then it wouldn't feel tacked on, ya know?

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Is Fiora Seven, or is Seven a clone of Shulk? I saw somebody suggust Seven as a clone of Shulk earlier (not in this thread), and it confused me a bit. I know Fiora lives, and I know Seven is like a secret-ish party member, but I don't know if they're one and the same, and I'm not looking it up myself because I don't want to go on a Wiki spree and read everything and spoil all the plot twists, even though I know most of them already because of this thread, haha.
Fiora is Seven. They're one in the same. There's no Shulk cloning involved and I honestly don't know where they pulled that idea from.

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
I tried to play Xenoblade Chronicles and honestly the gameplay really bothered me. Not up my alley. I can't stand real-time RPGs they just remind me of MMOs which also bug me. Despite this I think I'll watch an LP so as to experience the story, and I still support Shulk for SSB4 if only for the unique look of his character and the world he lives in.
Trust me here, I hated the gameplay at first. Despised it. Never thought I would get into it. It took a little bit, but I grew to love it. Give it another shot and keep at it, experiencing everything for yourself is definitely worth it.
I personally would rather have the two not be related at all. While it would be nice to see Shulk and co. back in action, I feel like their story was wrapped up pretty well, and I hate sequels for the sake of sequels. If there's more of a story you have to tell, great! Make a sequel. But if a story is done, like I think Xenoblade's is, then don't make a sequel. Make a spiritual sequel instead. 'Course, I'd still be fine with it taking place several hundred years AFTER Xenoblade, the way Fire Emblem: Awakening is to Marth's games. Because then it wouldn't feel tacked on, ya know?
I agree, I don't want Shulk and crew to be in XCX. However, I feel like it having no connection at all to Xenoblade's universe besides general themes would be a completely missed opportunity.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Fiora is Seven. They're one in the same. There's no Shulk cloning involved and I honestly don't know where they pulled that idea from.
I guess I should have specified that I meant as a clone in Smash Bros., not Xenoblade; I just wasn't sure if that meant that Seven was therefore like Dark Pit in terms of being similar to, if not the same entity as, Shulk. Sorry for the confusion!

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
Trust me here, I hated the gameplay at first. Despised it. Never thought I would get into it. It took a little bit, but I grew to love it. Give it another shot and keep at it, experiencing everything for yourself is definitely worth it.

I agree, I don't want Shulk and crew to be in XCX. However, I feel like it having no connection at all to Xenoblade's universe besides general themes would be a completely missed opportunity.
It felt really awkward and I bloody hated that you couldn't switch from character to character and you just had to hope that the other AI did what you wanted.

D

Deleted member

I still recommend that you give it a shot. At least make it passed the Guar Plains to truly see if you like it or not. I'm not the biggest RPG guy out there and I absolutely love this game.
Still, if you don't like it, then I won't be judging. Definitely watch Chuggaaconroy's LP of it.

About the Wii Remote thing, I was thinking that Shulk would say something like "Piece of cake!", "HIYEAH!", or "Behold the power!"

Last edited by a moderator:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I found that using the classic controller worked best for me. What did everybody else use?
That's what I preferred, but when I had to, I used the nun-chuck style, it wasn't that bad.
Camera control sucked but it was bearable.

Whit

Smash Journeyman
That's what I preferred, but when I had to, I used the nun-chuck style, it wasn't that bad.
Camera control sucked but it was bearable.
I had to hold the controller kind of weird in order to control the camera properly, but once I got it everything fell into place and the gameplay became amazing.

Last edited:

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
Only problem with Wii Remote and Nunchuk for me was stiff camera control, but other than that everything felt fine. I'm assuming skip travel is assigned to x or y on the classic controller?

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Only problem with Wii Remote and Nunchuk for me was stiff camera control, but other than that everything felt fine. I'm assuming skip travel is assigned to x or y on the classic controller?
It's assigned to -

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Classic Controller is best. but it was strage that unlike the wiimote, there was no way to switch your party from hurting the enemy you are and just doing whatever
Yeah you can. You just hold down ZR (or was it ZL? I know it was one of the two.) during battle and a prompt will show up telling you to press a d-pad button to determine if your allies will attack your target, attack whoever, or come to your side.

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
Yeah you can. You just hold down ZR (or was it ZL? I know it was one of the two.) during battle and a prompt will show up telling you to press a d-pad button to determine if your allies will attack your target, attack whoever, or come to your side.
Wish I knew about that when I was playing. I switch controllers midway, so there was probably a tutorial I didn't see.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I hope I did the series justice. While I am a huge Shulk supporter, I have only played the game once sadly and never all of the way through. It is just way to damn expensive.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I got mine for $9 at Cash Converters
Do they have an online store? I highly doubt that there is a store in Japan.

Just checked. There isn't. I see it in game stores being sold for $70-80 here about the price of a used Wii. Not to mention my Wii U is Amuuuurican so I wouldn't be able to play a Japanese version.

Last edited:

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
Do they have an online store? I highly doubt that there is a store in Japan.

Just checked. There isn't. I see it stores being sold for $70-80 here about the price of a used Wii. Not to mention my Wii U is Amuuuurican.
Cash Converters is basically a branded pawn shop. I doubt they would have any more. Actually, I think Cash Converters may be an Australian thing aswell, i'm not sure.

Whit

Smash Journeyman
I hope I did the series justice. While I am a huge Shulk supporter, I have only played the game once sadly and never all of the way through. It is just way to damn expensive.
Try playing it on Dolphin if you don't want to buy it. That way you can download the HD texture pack as well. I also enjoyed the article, very well written and spoiler free!

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
As crazy as it might sound, I prefer not to download games illegally. Music is another story but I try to support game studios and developers. I will look into it though and maybe reconsider since the game always fetches a high price.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
As crazy as it might sound, I prefer not to download games illegally. Music is another story but I try to support game studios and developers. I will look into it though and maybe reconsider since the game always fetches a high price.
Well, it's not like they're printing any more new copies of it (unless they still are in Japan), so at this point you probably wouldn't be able to support them anyway.

Whit

Smash Journeyman
Well of course buying the game is the preferred method of playing. I couldn't buy the game when I wanted to so I played it on Dolphin my first play through. Then when I could finally afford/find the game I bought it. No harm no foul I don't think...

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Yeah, that is true as well. Thank you for giving me some food for thought. Xenoblade is one of the series that I am just as excited to see a character included to the roster as I am at seeing the content. There are tons of great elements to pull from Xenoblade to include as stages, assist trophies, music, trophies, etc.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
It should be available for basically retail by now. Sorry if I've missed some key details in your particular struggle since I'm just getting into this conversation, but in most places I've seen over the last few months it's been 50-60.

Whit

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that is true as well. Thank you for giving me some food for thought. Xenoblade is one of the series that I am just as excited to see a character included to the roster as I am at seeing the content. There are tons of great elements to pull from Xenoblade to include as stages, assist trophies, music, trophies, etc.
How far did you get in the game if I might ask and why did you have to stop playing?

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Yeah, I haven't been really active with searching for it. I also doubt my laptop could support Dolphin, For one, I don't have internet. They shut it off last week for the entire apartment complex without explaining why or when they will turn it back on so I use my iphone tether. Tried calling but they couldn't explain why so I may stop in and make demands. Secondly, my laptop is a pretty cheap and poorly made. It even sucks at playing DVDs.

How far did you get in the game if I might ask and why did you have to stop playing?
I was borrowing it from a friend but she ended up moving away so she took it with her. Shame because I had it for 6 months but those particular 6 months were very busy.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Well hopefully you get a chance to play it before X comes out. They aren't supposed to be connected but still, seems the right thing to do.

GameStop apparentally just got a whole bunch more
I think they're just printing they're own copies no? As in, no money is going to anybody but them.

Last edited:

JCAndre

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but does anyone think Shulk's move set could include a way to inflict Break -> Topple -> Daze? Like if you use a move that inflicts Break, the symbol (the two pink lines) appears either over the characters head or by their percentage (like a Dragoon piece), and then you can follow up with a move that inflicts Topple and so on.

Last edited:

Whit

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I haven't been really active with searching for it. I also doubt my laptop could support Dolphin, For one, I don't have internet. They shut it off last week for the entire apartment complex without explaining why or when they will turn it back on so I use my iphone tether. Tried calling but they couldn't explain why so I may stop in and make demands. Secondly, my laptop is a pretty cheap and poorly made. It even sucks at playing DVDs.

I was borrowing it from a friend but she ended up moving away so she took it with her. Shame because I had it for 6 months but those particular 6 months were very busy.
Dang sound like hard times friend. Well hopefully there will be a rerelease or a price markdown come Smash time for promotional purposes. Maybe you can secure a copy then!

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but does anyone think Shulk's move set could include a way to inflict Break -> Topple -> Daze? Like if you use a move that inflicts Break, the symbol (the two pink lines) appears either over the characters head or by their percentage (like a Dragoon) piece, and then you can follow up with a move that inflicts Topple and so on.
Absolutely, what with being stunned and tripping moves (Diddy's God****ed bananas) existing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom