• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but does anyone think Shulk's move set could include a way to inflict Break -> Topple -> Daze? Like if you use a move that inflicts Break, the symbol (the two pink lines) appears either over the characters head or by their percentage (like a Dragoon piece), and then you can follow up with a move that inflicts Topple and so on.
I don't think that exact mechanic has been proposed here before. It does sound cool, and I think it could work as a pretty unique standard special sort of along the lines of the villager's tree.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Yeah, that would be nice. Not exactly hard times, just inconvienent times. Regardless, I can't wait to see Xenoblade content in Smash. I hope you guys liked the Shulk and Xenoblade articles!

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
I found that using the classic controller worked best for me. What did everybody else use?
I used the Wiimote + nunchuk. I actually really prefer controlling that way, so it's a good thing I didn't own a classic controller when I started playing Xenoblade (still don't own one, but I have tried playing it with a classic controller, didn't work well), otherwise I might never have tried the Wiimote.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Oh hey, look, a pointless update. *slow clap* here I was thinking I might actually get something I would be happy about. Nope! No happiness for me. Just bigotry and lack of Shulk! How ****ing WONDERFUL FOR ME. HAPPY HAPPY!

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
Oh hey, look, a pointless update. *slow clap* here I was thinking I might actually get something I would be happy about. Nope! No happiness for me. Just bigotry and lack of Shulk! How ****ing WONDERFUL FOR ME. HAPPY HAPPY!
Do you think if we riot in front of Bandai-Namco's building, we can get them to confirm Shulk?

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Do you think if we riot in front of Bandai-Namco's building, we can get them to confirm Shulk?
I wish that would work. Would make me at least a little less salty (the other thing making me salty isn't something a Shulk reveal would fix).

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
Well, it's something that's always gonna' happen, you just can't let it get to you. Um...you know who else faced (haha, faced, GEDDIT) adversity? That Shulk guy. But he was all like "Naw meng, that ain't cool, no matter if we've got wings on our head or pink fur we all alike, we all coo'". We should all be more like Shulk.

*Ever so subtly trying to calm things down*

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
I've done all I can to calm myself down, I'll probably leave the thread for a while. Sorry to bring salt here guys. I just feel like crap.

Anyway, moving on. With any luck, Sakurai will pull the same stunt he did last time and we'll get an announcement for a reveal some time in the next few hours.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Tomorrow is True Monado Tuesday!!

Do not be dispirited by how Meta Knight was revealed only 6 days ago. There has been a shorter gap before; Sonic was revealed only 5 days after Toon Link was revealed. Also, Zelda was revealed only 8 days after Rosalina, and Diddy Kong was revealed only 8 days after Little Mac.

It makes even more sense for a shorter gap when considering there are several characters that need to be revealed in less than a month of time. If there are 7 more characters to be revealed, a lesser amount than what the average person predicts, than that would be an average of one reveal every 3.7 days.

However, even if he is not revealed tomorrow we can still rest easy, for we know that...
http://youtu.be/NUFg39EwnG4?t=58s
^(Video does have a lot of spoilers!)

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Wait, why are some people mad?
it was just some stuff that happen on a other form, but I don't think other members of that form want me to talk about it so I can't tell you what happen it's religion related so I'll leave it like that.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
...Hate to admit it, but I think my want for Shulk has kinda died out a little bit. :( I'm even starting to think that he might be an Assist Trophy... :'| As much as I'd love to see him, there hasn't really been any Xenoblade content confirmed for Smash Bros yet, and I'm starting to get the feeling that being a supposed 'secret character' isn't helping. I'm no trying to offend anyone who loves Shulk, but I'm just saying my opinion so far. It's just getting a little worrying that we haven't seen anything related to Shulk...

Rikobomo

Smash Apprentice
...Hate to admit it, but I think my want for Shulk has kinda died out a little bit. :( I'm even starting to think that he might be an Assist Trophy... :'| As much as I'd love to see him, there hasn't really been any Xenoblade content confirmed for Smash Bros yet, and I'm starting to get the feeling that being a supposed 'secret character' isn't helping. I'm no trying to offend anyone who loves Shulk, but I'm just saying my opinion so far. It's just getting a little worrying that we haven't seen anything related to Shulk...
It's only natural to get pessimistic as it gets closer towards the JP release date, but try to stay optimistic. There's still plenty of time for 1-2 more newcomer reveals. There isn't going to be any hidden newcomers because Sakurai said he didn't like that Brawl's hidden newcomes were spoiled.

So Shulk has 26 days left for a reveal. If he isn't revealed within 26 days, then that's when we can comfortably say, "Shulk's not playable".

Last edited:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I don't know about you but sakurai not showing anything shulk related give me more hope, if they show something xenobalde related it will be a big give away and may kill the hype.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
I'm at the Fallen Arm. Anyone know any good places to get armor/ weapons/ whatever? Anywhere, at least.
Brave armour is fine until you reach Central Factory, then I farm for Alcoyne armour. Bonus points its all recolours of their default armour, minus Shulk wearing Goggels, Dunban an eyepatch & Sharla having a Bandana, unless you want Dunban look like a blue unicorn(forgot which Mechonis Armour that was)

Major Xenoblade spoiler for people that haven't reached this point in the game

For Fiora I farmed for the H Ether armour, you can buy all of it in Mechonis Field, minus the cap, for the Cap you need to farm this Unique Monster in Central Factory http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/Venerable_Focalor. My Fiora has slotted Grizzly Drones( Dropped slotted by this Unique in Central Factory http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/Temporal_Gawain), but Fiora will have enough armour options once you start farming Mechonis Field & Central Factory so imo its more taste really

You can buy the majority of the Brave Armour on Valak Mountain slotted & other of its pieces in the Sword Valley Shop
http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/M71_Flexible_Unit
This monster is the only one you need to farm for the top & 1 will always spawns at the Ether Storage Area Land Mark

Alcoyne Armour locations for Farming
Top & Bottoms: Farm this Unique Monster in Mechonis Field http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/Destroyer_Salvacion , the monster also drops the best 3 slotted Anti-Machina weapons for Reyn & Sharla, the Machina Guarder II & Machina Cannon so he is worth farming imo

Gloves: Farm this guy in Mechonis Field http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/M84/GRUNT & the best spawn point for this guy is 1F Main Power Switch landmark due he spawns with another Mechon & to my observation if you kill the M64/Grunt last he will always drop a silver chest

Cap: farm these 2 monsters in Central Factory http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/M36/FAIRY & http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/M38/ESSAY

Shoes: farm this monster http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/M68/MARCH

Best Anti Mechon weapons for the other party members (once again don't read if you haven't reached Fallen Arm yet)
http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/Meditative_Varla This Guy drops the Machina Blade III, Machina Staff III & Machina Biter III for Dunban, Melia & Riki

For Fiora I currently am using 3 slotted Karma blades, but once again Fiora has way to much options regarding Mechonis Armour, Drones & weapons, but if you want Karma Blades with 3 slots like me, farm this guy http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/Commander_Oracion

1 last WARNING due at some points when traveling the Mechonis some previous area's will become inaccesible due story events

Can Contain MAJOR SPOILERS
Sword Valley & Galahad Fortress will become inaccesible after you beat the Boss of Mechonis Field

Once you beat the Boss of Agniratha, Mechonis Field will become inaccesible & while you still can reach Agniratha & Central Factory you can't skip travel anymore

Mechonis core, this is the turning point of the game, so if you didn't do all the timed quests the game offered you before tackling the Mechonis areas(once you reached Sword Valley) they will expire & all the Mechonis area's minus the Fallen Arm will become inaccesible

Hope this was a help for you & if you just want to beat the game & the story, the Alcoyne armour alongside a good level & some good lv 4-5 gems will normally be enough

If you want to beat the Super Bosses you'll need LV6 Gems, and some of the best endgame armour like Lancelot ;)

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
If shulk's getting announced as an assist its going to be tomorrow (anniversary of English release). So after that, I think we can all assure ourselves he's not.
I don't think we ever had 2 AT's in one week though, If anything we could be getting a stage or a trophy that hints at Shulk's inclusion instead of a deconfirmation. If Sakurai show a trophy of the Monado...its a sign imo

Rikobomo

Smash Apprentice
Seriously though, what other relevant and notable series are there that Sakurai could possibly rep? There really isn't any. Xenoblade and Rhythm Heaven stick out like a sore thumb.

You could say Golden Sun, but that series sounds like its decaying. It's not really that relevant. There's no word of a new game being developed. The last game wasn't well recieved. It's niche and stuck on handhelds. It doesn't even have a Streetpass puzzle. It's AT material.

You could say Andy from Advance Wars, but the same applies. Hasn't had a new game in a while. It's losing its relevancy, and is a lot more niche than FE. I doubt Nintendo have any big plans for the series, plus it's always purely been a handheld experience. AT material.

You could say Mallo from Pushmo, but I doubt Nintendo has any bigger plans for it other than it to stay as a digital download eShop series. AT material.

You could say Chibi-Robo from the Chibi-Robo series, but it's extremely niche and gets rare inconsistent releases every now and then with the last installment being a digital download eShop game. AT material.

You could say Custom Robo, but when the last time it got a new game? AT material.

Xenoblade, on the other hand, is relevant, popular, critically-acclaim RPG developed by, Monolith Soft, a FIRST-PARTY studio, and dubbed as the 'best RPG of the seventh generation', rated 6th best Nintendo game OFF ALL TIME by Famitsu readers, it outsold Nintendo's expectations, it's protag is one of the top requested, and has obvious moveset potential, won a s***load of awards, has its own Streetpass puzzle, has an HD massive scale successor in development that is building on top of the triumphs of the first game and using the Xenoblade name. I don't think we need to worry people!

It generally made such a huge splash during the Wii era, it's the only other notable release, along with the Rhythm Heaven series.

Last edited:

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
Seriously though, what other relevant and notable series are there that Sakurai could possibly rep? There really isn't any. Xenoblade and Rhythm Heaven stick out like a sore thumb.

You could say Golden Sun, but that series sounds like its decaying. It's not really that relevant. There's no word of a new game being developed. The last game wasn't well recieved. It's niche and stuck on handhelds. It doesn't even have a Streetpass puzzle. It's AT material.

You could say Andy from Advance Wars, but the same applies. Hasn't had a new game in a while. It's losing its relevancy, and is a lot more niche than FE. I doubt Nintendo have any big plans for the series, plus it's always purely been a handheld experience. AT material.

You could say Mallo from Pushmo, but I doubt Nintendo has any bigger plans for it other than it to stay as a digital download eShop series. AT material.

You could say Chibi-Robo from the Chibi-Robo series, but it's extremely niche and gets rare inconsistent releases every now and then with the last installment being a digital download eShop game. AT material.

You could say Custom Robo, but when the last time it got a new game? AT material.

Xenoblade, on the other hand, is relevant, popular, critically-acclaim RPG developed by, Monolith Soft, a FIRST-PARTY studio, and dubbed as the 'best RPG of the seventh generation', it outsold Nintendo's expectations, it's protag is one of the top requested, and has obvious moveset potential, won a s***load of awards, has its own Streetpass puzzle, has an HD massive scale successor in development that is building on top of the triumphs of the first game and using the Xenoblade name. I don't think we need to worry people!

It generally made such a huge splash during the Wii era, it's the only other notable release, along with the Rhythm Heaven series.
Notes: to be fair, apparently Intelligent Systems said that they are working on a new Advanced Wars aswell as a new FE game

I completely agree. was talking on the leaks thread recently about how the "death" of gematsu has made people start getting back to the brawl mood of 'EVERYONE IS IN'and leading themselves to disappointment.

While I do think gematsu is just the announced newcomers (with 3 cloney ones probably), these are logical decisions, not to mention unique moveset potential. Shulk can have all these cool stuff with tripping and dazing and backslash, and RH rep can have an interesting rythem based moveset.

leaving Shulk out is just silly. Either way I'm expecting something tomorrow, and probably getting my hopes up

Rikobomo

Smash Apprentice
Notes: to be fair, apparently Intelligent Systems said that they are working on a new Advanced Wars aswell as a new FE game

I completely agree. was talking on the leaks thread recently about how the "death" of gematsu has made people start getting back to the brawl mood of 'EVERYONE IS IN'and leading themselves to disappointment.

While I do think gematsu is just the announced newcomers (with 3 cloney ones probably), these are logical decisions, not to mention unique moveset potential. Shulk can have all these cool stuff with tripping and dazing and backslash, and RH rep can have an interesting rythem based moveset.

leaving Shulk out is just silly. Either way I'm expecting something tomorrow, and probably getting my hopes up
A Xenoblade and Rhythm Heaven rep is so obvious, and it fits the pattern: all first-party newcomers announced so far are relevant and have had prominent appearances in games released in the last five years. Shulk fits the criteria. So too does Rhythm Heaven.

Last edited:

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
I think one big thing to remember is that by Sakuri's own words from an interveiw, 'for the most part the newcomers are decided by the generation before the console the game is released on, besides maybe a few fun character here and there'. This was a very important Wii game, being not only critically acclaimed, but according to Pokemon Company, even the reason they wanted to release X and Y world wide at the same time, whitch shows it has impact.

Last edited:

Rikobomo

Smash Apprentice
I think one bug thing to remember is that by Sakuri's own words from an interveiw, 'for the most part the newcomers are decided by the generation before the console the game is released on, besides maybe a few fun character here and there'. This was a very important Wii game, being not only critically acclaimed, but according to Pokemon Company, even the reason they wanted to release X and Y world wide at the same time, whitch shows it has impact.
Wowza. You got a source on that Xenoblade/PokemonX&Y influencing worldwide release thingy?

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
Wowza. You got a source on that Xenoblade/PokemonX&Y influencing worldwide release thingy?
Man, it was from ages ago. it was either during that 2 hour interview the E3 after it was announced, or some time after. The general idea though was that they where saying they recognise the English fan base of Nintendo products or something around those lines.

I'll try and hunt it down. if I find it i'll post it here.

Last edited:

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I found that using the classic controller worked best for me. What did everybody else use?
A little late on this but I used Wii mote Nunchuk first play through and then Classic controller Pro on my second. Hoping for some good news on #TrueMonadoTuesday.

Try to think of everything good from Nintendo during the Wii era and Xenoblade is bound to be a highlight.

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
A little late on this but I used Wii mote Nunchuk first play through and then Classic controller Pro on my second. Hoping for some good news on #TrueMonadoTuesday.

Try to think of everything good from Nintendo during the Wii era and Xenoblade is bound to be a highlight.
When you think Wii you think: Wii Sports/Fit, Mario Galaxy, Xenoblade, Brawl, Motion Controls

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I think if we were getting an announcement tomorrow, we'd have heard about it by now.

Actually, since we've not heard anything, the only thing I can see happening tomorrow is Pic of the Day making Shulk an AT :(

I'd better not :124: it...

Edit:
Man, it was from ages ago. it was either during that 2 hour interview the E3 after it was announced, or some time after. The general idea though was that they where saying they recognise the English fan base of Nintendo products or something around those lines.

I'll try and hunt it down. if I find it i'll post it here.
Edit 2.0 - Yeah ignore this, I was thinking of something different.
If it's what I think it is, it was from the Smash Bros. Roundtable at E3. Sakurai revealed Pac-Man here and said a few things. The rest was largely a Q&A. Someone asked something along the lines of "Was Greninja decided to be playable early in the project, or later on, after X&Y was released and his popularity was established?" Sakurai responded, saying that all characters were decided very early in the project. They approached Game Freak to see some of their GenVI designs and chose one that they felt was unique and that they could work with. Smash started development after Uprising (released March 2012) and the Wii U came out late 2012. So technically I suppose it's still the Wiis era.

A very shorthand recap here. There was an audio-only version of the roundtable floating around but it's not on YouTube anymore.

Last edited:

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
I think if we were getting an announcement tomorrow, we'd have heard about it by now.

Actually, since we've not heard anything, the only thing I can see happening tomorrow is Pic of the Day making Shulk an AT :(

I'd better not :124: it...

Edit:

If it's what I think it is, it was from the Smash Bros. Roundtable at E3. Sakurai revealed Pac-Man here and said a few things. The rest was largely a Q&A. Someone asked something along the lines of "Was Greninja decided to be playable early in the project, or later on, after X&Y was released and his popularity was established?" Sakurai responded, saying that all characters were decided very early in the project. They approached Game Freak to see some of their GenVI designs and chose one that they felt was unique and that they could work with. Smash started development after Uprising (released March 2012) and the Wii U came out late 2012. So technically I suppose it's still the Wiis era.

A very shorthand recap here. There was an audio-only version of the roundtable floating around but it's not on YouTube anymore.
No, I was talking about Pokemon Company saying that Project Rainfall helped them consider the idea of simultaneous world wide release.

I think greninja fits into the "from last generation" thing in more of the "some other" part.

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
No, I was talking about Pokemon Company saying that Project Rainfall helped them consider the idea of simultaneous world wide release.

I think greninja fits into the "from last generation" thing in more of the "some other" part.
Really? I never heard anything that connected Pokémon people to Rainfall. I'd kind of be interested to hear this too, then...

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
Really? I never heard anything that connected Pokémon people to Rainfall. I'd kind of be interested to hear this too, then...
As I said, they weren't connected, but in some interview or something, I remember them saying that Project Rainfall proves the love of Nintendo products from english fans so they wanted to try and help put the two on a more equil term, or something around those lines.

The problem with old news is that its old, and even then its not exactly ground shaking to most. So i'm trying to find a source.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Haven't posted here in a while. Hi peeps! Less than a month until we find out that Shulk is on the roster.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
Haven't posted here in a while. Hi peeps! Less than a month until we find out that Shulk is on the roster.
We haven't gotten any news in a while, and with September's release rolling in, wouldn't be surprised if we get multiple newcomers in the same week.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Not to make my fellow supporters worried, but the Japanese Box art leaked & the Konami, Monolith Soft & the Mother copyrights are absent.
Though don't think Xenoblade & Mother fans need to worry, but Snake most likely is cut, due all the other 3 third parties are present on the boxart

http://i.imgur.com/iU571fE.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom