• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Just stopping by because I heard you guys like to keep a list of all Shulk supporters. Well, I've supported the idea of him being in (and honestly believed he will be in) ever since Operation Rainfall began, so I'd say I definitely qualify as a Shulk supporter.

To put it in RPG terms...
Supporter List +1
@ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 another!

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Maybe. We don't really know.
No he's definitely in the game.

You don't have to be playable to be in. :troll:

I'd be really surprised if Shulk wasn't playable though, considering the Xenoblade Chronicles franchise is going from strength to strength right now. It also seems quite clear Nintendo are willing to support and nurture the series going forward.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
No he's definitely in the game.

You don't have to be playable to be in. :troll:

I'd be really surprised if Shulk wasn't playable though, considering the Xenoblade Chronicles franchise is going from strength to strength right now. It also seems quite clear Nintendo are willing to support and nurture the series going forward.
I would be surprised if Monolith Soft doesn't get representation period. They're the one first party subsidiary that Nintendo's allowing to have a hand in main-line Zelda games for crying out loud! Not even the likes of Retro Studios or Intelligent Systems have been given that honor yet. Not giving them a representative in Smash 4 at this point would be criminal, and lets face it, if any character is going to represent Monolith Soft in this game, it's going to be Shulk.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Not to mention they helped with the last smash bros itself
This is why I think it would just be cruel from Sakurai's part to not include a playable Monolith Soft character. They basically worked under him on Brawl and they do have the characters.

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
So by some strange idea, for whatever reason Nintendo/Sakurai/whoever decided it would be a good idea for Shulk to have a different VA in NA copies of the game, who would you like to see Voice Shulk? Guys I promise i'm not nintendo

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
So by some strange idea, for whatever reason Nintendo/Sakurai/whoever decided it would be a good idea for Shulk to have a different VA in NA copies of the game, who would you like to see Voice Shulk? Guys I promise i'm not nintendo
I think it'd just seem... wrong. I've heard accent changes before across game series, I get left thinking "why?"
I've also heard voice actor changes within games, and sure, close enough, but it still feels wrong.

That's not really an answer to the question, but that's my two cents on it.

(Edit: Prince of Persia had the Prince with a British accent in the first game, and then he had anger management issues and an American accent in the second and third. VA changes within game probably happen more than you'd think, but BlazBlue comes to mind. One edition is released, and then they can't get the same VAs back a few years later an updated edition is released and there are a few more lines to record.)

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Any teenage Briitsh male voice actor could work honestly.

Last edited:

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
I would be surprised if Monolith Soft doesn't get representation period. They're the one first party subsidiary that Nintendo's allowing to have a hand in main-line Zelda games for crying out loud! Not even the likes of Retro Studios or Intelligent Systems have been given that honor yet. Not giving them a representative in Smash 4 at this point would be criminal, and lets face it, if any character is going to represent Monolith Soft in this game, it's going to be Shulk.
yeah shulk is to Monolith Soft as Jack Frost is to Atlus they don't have a official monsot but just like how Jack Frost might as well be Atlus's Shulk has become Monolith's

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Maybe. We don't really know.
That is true. You never really know until it happens. There are some things pointing to his inclusion like both his Japanese and English VA saying they are working on something big and the director retweeting a reveal. Hope to see him soon.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
That is true. You never really know until it happens. There are some things pointing to his inclusion like both his Japanese and English VA saying they are working on something big and the director retweeting a reveal. Hope to see him soon.
I think the fact both the Japanese and english VA both said that to me saids one of two things
1. Shulk is in smash in some form
2. Shulk is in Xenoblade X in some form

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
I think the fact both the Japanese and english VA both said that to me saids one of two things

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
I think this is my first time looking at this thread since I didn't want to get spoiled before beating xenoblade. I just want to say that I heavily support Shulk and want him in the next smash game.

A bit off topic, but... I haven't beaten the game yet but I've saved just before the point of no return. The problem is my party is only level 72 and I can't beat the level 80 boss... yeah super underleveled... Does anyone know where I can grind so I can beat the game?

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I think shulk is in this game, it will be stupid of Nintnedo to not put him in to advertise Xenoblade chronicles X, the world is going to be bigger than it was in Xenoblade chronicles so it may cost a lot of money to make and unless Nintendo want to lose money they should try to get people to know what xenoblade is before X comes out.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
No posts in 3 hours, *audible gasp!*

I think this is my first time looking at this thread since I didn't want to get spoiled before beating xenoblade. I just want to say that I heavily support Shulk and want him in the next smash game.

A bit off topic, but... I haven't beaten the game yet but I've saved just before the point of no return. The problem is my party is only level 72 and I can't beat the level 80 boss... yeah super underleveled... Does anyone know where I can grind so I can beat the game?
Go back to a few areas and try taking on things that were previously too strong. For example, I think about half of the strong enemies on Bionis' Leg are around 76. Go check out Windy Cave properly, I guess. You might be able to take on Satorl Marsh night monsters. Go clear up a few quests, maybe search for Extra Skill Tree quests.

I could be wrong since I haven't seen the source, but I did hear that Shintaro Asanuma is providing voice work for X. (So don't quote me on that, haha! I kind of hope it's false so that it really does imply Smash.)

Rikobomo

Smash Apprentice
Tbh, I don't we need any teases from Sakurai regarding Xenoblade content, and Shulk being playable. The announcement of a Xenoblade successor is all you need to make you think, "Shulk's in Smash". As soon as the Xenoblade logo appeared, Shulk's chances increased dramatically. The nods and ties to Xenoblade in Xenoblade X speak for themselves.

In the small chance that Shulk isn't playable, it would be really, really strange to not rep Monolith Soft since they are one of Nintendo's hottest devs, and the only Nintendo subsidiary who doesn't have a rep. Monolith Soft is not making small eShop games here, they're being given the go-ahead to create massive scale, open world HD RPGs; Nintendo obviously believe in the talent at the company and trust they can pull these kinds of games off.

The Xenoblade Streetpass puzzle (sounds dumb, I know, but it's more important than you think), VA tweets, Monolithsoft/Nintendo's relationship, too. Man, I'd be legit surprised if Shulk isn't playable. If Next-Level Games can get a rep via Little Mac, it's impossible Monolith Soft can't get a rep.

Pretty much all the newcomers revealed so far are from the Wii/DS era. Going by this, there's no way in hell Sakurai is going to overlook a critically-acclaimed, relevant, Wii era RPG from which its respective protag is one of the top requested and has a successor in the works, and is developed by a Nintendo owned development studio. You'd have to be nuts, and a complete prat, or both.

Last edited:

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
A new Shulk topic that has never been discussed just came to me......
What quote or line will Shulk say when you select him while playing with a Wii Remote? Ex. Sonic had the ring noise in Brawl, while Dedede laughed and Link just made one of his heyaaa sounds.

I bet this never came up because no one uses anything other than Gamecube controllers.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
What quote or line will Shulk say when you select him while playing with a Wii Remote? Ex. Sonic had the ring noise in Brawl, while Dedede laughed and Link just made one of his heyaaa sounds.

I bet this never came up because no one uses anything other than Gamecube controllers.
Hmm...I can imagine it either being the sound of the Manado powering up, or Shulk will say something like, "The Manado's power!"

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172

I only ever played Wiimote :laugh:

Hmm... probably something like "Let's do this!" or "The power of the Monado!"
I'd honestly be surprised if he didn't make mention of the Monado in some way.

Last edited:

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion

Probably his most famous line: 'The Future Doesn't Belong To You'. or his battle entry line: 'everyone- lets go'. or possibly the 'We can definatly do this'. of course, I imagine they would be changed to 'I' instead of 'we'

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
According to this analysis, Shulk's Japanese voice actor is already an option for a customized voice. Unless the voice actor is performing a dual role—or maybe even doing two different voices for two characters, Shulk won't be in the game, at least story-wise.

You can find a lot of level 70+ Gogols near Raguel Lake and Windy Cave. You can level up pretty quickly there. c:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Probably his most famous line: 'The Future Doesn't Belong To You'. or his battle entry line: 'everyone- lets go'. or possibly the 'We can definatly do this'. of course, I imagine they would be changed to 'I' instead of 'we'
I think 'we' would work. It's like he's telling you that you and him together can do it.

The Curious Volnutt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theOmni1337
I'm kinda bummed that Xenoblade Chronicles X is just a spiritual successor, there is alot that could be done with Xenoblade's ending. But who knows, the game might have more connections to the original than we think.
Also I'm posting this on my Wii U, the browser is surprisingly good.

SaberPichu

Smash Cadet
+1 Shulk supporter here.

A wiimote speaker sound or line... If I'm remembering correctly I think he has a generic "Here we go" from the gem stall, that could work if they just use preexisting audio...

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Another new supporter @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 !

Also, am I the only one who WANTS XCX to be unrelated to Xenoblade story-wise? I'm pretty happy with how Xenoblade ended, and would prefer XCX to just have its own story.

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
I'm kinda bummed that Xenoblade Chronicles X is just a spiritual successor, there is alot that could be done with Xenoblade's ending. But who knows, the game might have more connections to the original than we think.
Also I'm posting this on my Wii U, the browser is surprisingly good.
I've said it once and i'll say it again. Shulk is in the first trailer. That is Shulk. That is not a character inspired by Shulk, that is not one of Shulk's descendents. That is not an avatar meant to look like Shulk to draw in fans of the first Xenoblade. That. Is. Shulk.
How is he there idk maybe his vision powers got hyped up on steroids or something, and made him time travel. But I still think it's more than a spiritual successor. It really wouldn't surprise me if we saw a lot of "This happened here because this happened in Xenoblade Chronicles" ect.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
I've said it once and i'll say it again. Shulk is in the first trailer. That is Shulk. That is not a character inspired by Shulk, that is not one of Shulk's descendents. That is not an avatar meant to look like Shulk to draw in fans of the first Xenoblade. That. Is. Shulk.
How is he there idk maybe his vision powers got hyped up on steroids or something, and made him time travel. But I still think it's more than a spiritual successor. It really wouldn't surprise me if we saw a lot of "This happened here because this happened in Xenoblade Chronicles" ect.
That isn't Shulk. Shulk's eyes are blue. The character at the end of the trailer has green eyes.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
That isn't Shulk. Shulk's eyes are blue. The character at the end of the trailer has green eyes.
Those eyes definitely have a blue-green appearance, the lighting makes it difficult to tell though. Regardless, I get the feeling it's not Shulk, but a descendant of his. Call it a hunch, really.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Those eyes definitely have a blue-green appearance, the lighting makes it difficult to tell though. Regardless, I get the feeling it's not Shulk, but a descendant of his. Call it a hunch, really.
My main point is that it's highly unlikely that the character in the trailer is Shulk. I will admit, the decedent possibility is still there.
After all, Fiora has green eyes, and her hair color more closely matches that of the trailer man than Shulk's.

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
You can find a lot of level 70+ Gogols near Raguel Lake and Windy Cave. You can level up pretty quickly there. c:
Go back to a few areas and try taking on things that were previously too strong. For example, I think about half of the strong enemies on Bionis' Leg are around 76. Go check out Windy Cave properly, I guess. You might be able to take on Satorl Marsh night monsters. Go clear up a few quests, maybe search for Extra Skill Tree quests.
Yeah, I wound up just beating up some of the level 78 enemies that appear shortly before the end of the game for about an hour. Got my party up to level 77-78, which made the end boss not too hard. Very satisfied with how the game, which supprised me since I wasn't a huge fan of the earlier plot twist.

The one that occurred after defeating Egil/Yalbadoth at the Mechonis head, that is.

Very interesting how everything was tied back to planet Earth. Gives me hope that X will be more related to the original Xenoblade than I thought.

Also, I could totally see a Monado III final smash for Shulk, but that is a major spoiler so it probably wont happen (although that never stopped Zelda/Sheik from happening)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom