• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
The thread is quiet...
Too quiet...

BORN IN A WORLD OF HYPE!
Hold on.
I'm currently taking a break from Xenoblade Chronicles. And that was after playing for about 5 hours max.
Are there are any spoilers in that video?

Everest

Smash Cadet
I kinda want to dig it up and repost it. In fact...*goes through post history* One moment.

Edit: found it
Glowing eyes when dodging would be great. Oh and the rest of the moveset too :chuckle:

Edit @ GM_3826 GM_3826 : if you just played 5 hours of Xenoblade, basically every video of the game on youtube is a spoiler :(

Last edited:

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Hold on.
I'm currently taking a break from Xenoblade Chronicles. And that was after playing for about 5 hours max.
To be on the safe side, I'd wait until you've made it past the Mechonis Core before watching the video. The farthest into the story any of the footage in the video goes is a small clip from the cutscene right after those events.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I kinda want to dig it up and repost it. In fact...*goes through post history* One moment.

Edit: found it
Still looks great to me. Picking move sets for Shulk is so conflicting due to the numerous options that can all work. Here's my reposted move set if anyone is interested. It also includes music, stages, colors, taunts, etc.

Shulk in Smash 4:

Symbol: Either a Monado, similar to the one in the OP or the X from the new game's logo

Entrance: Jumps in this fashion, landing with his back to the front and does a slight turn (shown in video. Also I'm not really sure what entrance would be best.)

MASSIVE SPOILERS- Shown at about 2:43

Colors: Each one based on a different party member. I took this from a random site although it may have been posted here as well.

Victory music: Secret Area

Top Stage Picks: Prison Island with Metal Face as a boss
Traveling Junks Stage
...Everywhere:troll:

Music picks:
Engage the Enemy
You Will Know Our Names
One who gets in our way
Medley of various area themes
Mechanical Rhythm
Realistically most of the game's tracks

Tagline:
Shulk engages the enemy
Shulk changes the future
Shulk envisions the battle

Victory quotes:
The future is not yours to control (future doesn't belong to you)
Piece of Cake
Something about friends
Something about destiny
Behold the power of the Monado

Taunt quotes
We can definitely do this
Monado lend us your power
We haven't lost yet
Nothings gonna stop me

Actual Moveset
A-Sword slash similar to Shulk's auto attack
AA-Sword slash similar to Shulk's double auto attack
A jab- Third slash which hits opponent slightly upward

Other A's- Different sword swings... I'm not so good with these

Specials (Naturally Shulk must announce the name of his attacks)

Neutral B - Monado Buster (can be charged. Sword reaches farther based on charge.)

Forward B - Monado Cyclone (can be charged. Charge determines how far the attack will land from Shulk. Only location is altered, not size. Looks similar to the Xenoblade version. If opponent is inflicted with break then this move will cause them to trip or topple.

Down B - Monado Eater (Pulls characters toward Shulk. Only works in forward direction. Also inflicts bleed which works similar to the lip flowers.)

Up B - Monado Purge
(Jumps and Swings word which emits a green wave. Chance of inflicting aura seal which can negate specials? ...Sounds cool but too broken. Maybe instead it can inflict break even though that isn't true to the game.)

side smash - Back slash - jumps forward slightly- does more damage to rear of characters
up smash- Air slash - jumps, swings sword upward and emits a small wave just a tad farther. Inflicts break.
Down smash - Shaker edge - not true to game since this will attack in both directions, forward then back - can daze characters who are toppled resulting in an effect similar to DKs side B but slightly better.

Also, the break topple bleed and daze icons appear above characters to indicate their status.

Kirby hat - Shulks hair with mini monado. Kirby uses Monado Buster and shouts it in the kirby voice.

Final Smash - Vision - Shulk says I see it - then the screen fades in that white color and comes back with the blue hint from Xenoblade during the vision sequences. The other characters appear on screen and can move freely for a few seconds. Afterwards, the vision ends and Shulk says this is the true power of the Monado. Shulk has Monado Speed and Armor which make him quicker and invincible. Also, Enchant which somehow makes him more powerful against everyone. The characters reenact their movements while Shulk is free to attack. In addition, the vision meter can appear on the top of the screen and then shatter after Shulk KOs someone for a nice touch.

*I forgot who suggested this final smash concept first, but please let me know and I will put your name here. Visions are a must for me in smash as they are a crucial aspect of Xenoblade. A chain attack final smash would also work well where multiple party characters appear and do some of their signature moves - Lariet - Blossom Dance - Final Cross - Mind Blast - etc

***This was far more difficult than I thought it would be but I guess this is why I put off an attempt for so long. I really like the concept of a move set focusing on the break combo or the status ailments from Xenoblade. I'm also a big fan of the leveling and talent gauge move sets that many of you have constructed. It just goes to show how many directions Shulk can go in and how truly unique he is. Next I'll probably make up a trailer for his reveal.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
The thread is quiet...
Too quiet...

BORN IN A WORLD OF HYPE!
It may be a quiet day, but I'm really happy to see it back on track and looking much better.

On another note, I made the convo for people that want to participate in more free, completely off-topic discussion with other Shulk supporters. So again, just write on my profile or PM if you want an invite.

Hey guys! I've been lurking this thread for quite some time now.. so I wanna contribute with a moveset! I was thinking about what makes most of the other newcomers unique and I had an idea. What if Shulk was a combination of the newcomer's mechanics?
Talent Gauge mechanic - Similar to Little Mac's meter, but doesn't deplete. Filling the Talent Gauge will let you unleash one of Shulk's Monado Arts.
  • Neutral B- Monado Buster: Same as in Xenoblade.
  • Side B - Monado Eater: Removes any buff and inflicts passive damage.
  • Down B- Monado Shield: Reduces damage and knock back for a period of time.
  • Up B- Monado Cyclone: Unleashes damaging wind and pushes Shulk upwards.
His normal Specials would need to cooldown (probably similar to Robin's) and with customization, he could get different Arts (like Palutena)
  • Neutral B- Shaker Edge: Hits hard with good knock back, but has a starting and ending lag. Slit Edge: Fast and reliable KO move with ending lag. Turn Strike: A slower, but harder hitting shaker Edge. Less ending lag.
  • Side B- Back Slash: Shulk rushes forward and turns back to slash. Quick move but low knock back. Stream Edge: Quick horizontal slash with good reach.
  • Down B- Battle Soul: Takes some damage (around 15-20 percent) to gain Talent Gauge. Shadow Eye- Increases attack power. Light Heal: Restores some percentage of damage (around the same as Battle Soul), has the longest cooldown of all arts.
  • Up B- Air Slash: Shulk jumps and performs a high slash. Has the least cooldown of all.
I couldn't find a way to fit in Purge, Armour, Enchant or Speed, but maybe they could fit in the Talent Art Special/Normal Specials as customs.
Nice moveset you have there. I actually see Back Slash/Stream Edge being more of a default move compared to Monado Eater though. Battle Soul paired with the Talent Gauge also sounds pretty cool as an instant high-risk/reward kind of move. 15-20% is like eating a Smash Attack, so hopefully it'll its effects will be rather grand.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
question, should Xord be a stage boss or and Boss enemy in smash Run.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
It's weird, I almost never use Monado speed, but it's still one of the Monado arts I want represented the most in Smash.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Hold on.
some what but it don't really spoil anything in the video just some characters you meet later on in the game.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
You guys don't want that glorious cockney accent in smash? Whats wrong with you? (Metal face is the boss I actually want.)

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I have a strange feeling that there will be a trophy of Egil standing in front of his Face...

or maybe that feeling is just because I want to see them appear in Smash and in HD nonetheless.

Last edited:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Smash Run enemy. If there has to be a boss on a Xenoblade stage, I'd prefer it to be Metal Face. No one/nothing else will do it as much justice. Personal opinion though.
That makes so much sense don't want to take away the attention off of Metal Face by putting him in over Metal Face.

Dunban

Smash Journeyman
Smash Run enemy. If there has to be a boss on a Xenoblade stage, I'd prefer it to be Metal Face. No one/nothing else will do it as much justice. Personal opinion though.
But to be honest, wouldn't Metal Face's potential appearance be dependent on the stage? I mean, if we were to get a Colony 9 stage for example, then Metal Face would be the obvious choice. However you don't actually fight Metal Face at Gaur Plains or Eryth Sea which are the more likely choices for stages.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
But to be honest, wouldn't Metal Face's potential appearance be dependent on the stage? I mean, if we were to get a Colony 9 stage for example, then Metal Face would be the obvious choice. However you don't actually fight Metal Face at Gaur Plains or Eryth Sea which are the more likely choices for stages.
Robin has Nosferatu.

Does Sakurai really care about Series Canon?

No.

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
Robin has Nosferatu.

Does Sakurai really care about Series Canon?

No.
To be fair, Nosferatu fits to Robin because
Robin is the Fell Dragon Grima itself; a being of darkness.

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
It's weird, I almost never use Monado speed, but it's still one of the Monado arts I want represented the most in Smash.
The effects of Monado Speed would sure look cool in HD Glory, with the Ether particles and what not. Can't help but think of Palutena's trailer when she was showing off her "Super Speed" though :laugh:

This is true. But Sakurai will put something in any fashion he sees fit. Like we had Castle Siege come out of the blue, that's not based off of anything canon from Fire Emblem. For all we know, we may not even end up with a canon Xenoblade stage. Mainly though, I was just referring to the boss I'd like to see if we had to get a big antagonist for a stage hazard. Otherwise, Telethia will always do the trick for a stage like Eryth Sea.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
The thread is quiet...
Too quiet...

BORN IN A WORLD OF HYPE!
Eh I like Attack on Bollywood better.

But anyways, on topic, as for a Shulk moveset, I do like the stance change mechanic discussed a few pages back. I honestly think it's something Sakurai and team would do.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Eh I like Attack on Bollywood better.

But anyways, on topic, as for a Shulk moveset, I do like the stance change mechanic discussed a few pages back. I honestly think it's something Sakurai and team would do.
I believe the current main argument against it is that it would somewhat contradict Sakurai's statement on wanting players to only have to be familiar with one moveset at a time and that it's not really canon. But we pretty much already touched on how there are ways around it and how Sakurai isn't stressing over implementing only things canon.

All I'll say is that it wouldn't surprise me either. Shulk has so many options and room for creativity that it's somewhat of a mind**** to imagine what is going to happen with Shulk in the end of it all.

Metal Face

Smash Cadet
Speak of the devil...
In any case, I actually really expected to permanently retire this account to avoid myself getting any infractions. However, to my shock, this account got a PM from a certain someone who acted a little weak and pathetic yesterday. I guess because they wanted to say something through me, but didn't know who I was. Maybe because I had something to do with the spam? Anyway, I think they wanted me to check up on this weak and pathetic thread (their words, not mine) and see if it's still spammy. Looked like you got the message, so I relayed it back. And I think they wanted to apologize for making a big deal out of everything.
But before I do that, it'd be pretty informal to do so with an account nobody even knows who it is, wouldn't it? I do in fact have an Ace Attorney style breakdown gif prepared for this moment, and I was planning on saving it until Shulk was revealed. However, this is an incredibly convenient time to use it. You ready folks?
Time to get rid of this face.

(I'd recommend listening to this for this next part)
Yup, it was me all along. Sorry for being such a butt, I guess it all accumulated into a big moment of anger, though in hindsight my points did still feel a little bit, you know, relevant to say the least.
Though, time to go back on an earlier promise. I said I'd come back when the thread became less spammy, and it appears to have had more of a huge effect than I thought it would. I will say that I wouldn't mind the occasional gif or silly image, that's fine: just, let's keep the topic on topic like you seem to be right now. Once again, I'm sorry. ESPECIALLY to @ Solfiner Solfiner and @ Bosspon Bosspon who I think I might have pinned the blame on a little bit too much. But if you guys could forgive me for again being a complete butt, that'd be awesome.
On the topic of gifs, sorry for that breakdown gif being so anticlimactic. I had inspiration to make it less obvious until the end in which case it sticks there, but there were a bunch of problems such as the source of the breakdown only being 10 seconds long, like you see there. Oops.
Talk about anticlimactic, it borked! (at least for a bit)

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
All I'll say is that it wouldn't surprise me either. Shulk has so many options and room for creativity that it's somewhat of a mind**** to imagine what is going to happen with Shulk in the end of it all.
I swear if he ends up as an AT (unlikely, but it might happen all the same) I will be so angry. Shulk has so much potential for a unique moveset that to pass him up would almost be a crime.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
You guys don't want that glorious cockney accent in smash? Whats wrong with you? (Metal face is the boss I actually want.)
I like the idea of Metal Face being a boss that causes a sort of "poison" damage when he hits you which increases your damage for a few seconds.

Edit: Yaay! @ TitanTeaTime TitanTeaTime is back! Changed my titled from "Failed Heropon" to "Recovering Heropon" :)

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I swear if he ends up as an AT (unlikely, but it might happen all the same) I will be so angry. Shulk has so much potential for a unique moveset that to pass him up would almost be a crime.
You're right. I have never outright been pissed about a character being passed up on, but if that happened to Shulk, I'd actually lose my cool for once.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Well, that's it for Metal Face. It's almost sad to see it go, but hey, at least making that account in the first place allowed me to come back with a bang! (Also to share the excellent Turnabout Sisters ballad to more people)
But anyway. At this point, I'd also really like Metal Face to be a boss. After all, I did make that account myself, and he's also super iconic.
shame about the gif though

Last edited:

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Ah, Metal Face. At least I've gotten far enough in the game to know:
He eats Fiora.
Yeah, I don't really like him.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
I think it'd be actually pretty cool if we had Metal Face fly around the stage if there was a Junks style stage. While you transition, Metal Face appears and flies around attacking everyone. When you land, so does he, and the fight continues.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I think it'd be actually pretty cool if we had Metal Face fly around the stage if there was a Junks style stage. While you transition, Metal Face appears and flies around attacking everyone. When you land, so does he, and the fight continues.
When I think of 'flying around', it makes me think of Final Destination and how the scenery changes. Could get something that is kind of like that for Xenoblade. And if we were to have hazards and they want to go all out, they could introduce a different hazard for every other time you show up at the scene (i.e. reach the Eryth Sea transformation, Telethia show up, but next time you get to Eryth Sea, no Telethia). Complicated, but it's definitely a way to have heavy rep of Xenoblade at once, going in with the assumption of only getting a single stage though.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
When I think of 'flying around', it makes me think of Final Destination and how the scenery changes. Could get something that is kind of like that for Xenoblade. And if we were to have hazards and they want to go all out, they could introduce a different hazard for every other time you show up at the scene (i.e. reach the Eryth Sea transformation, Telethia show up, but next time you get to Eryth Sea, no Telethia). Complicated, but it's definitely a way to have heavy rep of Xenoblade at once, going in with the assumption of only getting a single stage though.
I think Xenoblade could very well get two Wii U stages. If Sakurai likes the game a lot, I feel we could two stages. I feel Gaur Plains will be the 3DS stage, and would be relatively hazard less, and then on the Wii U we could have Sword Valley and Eryth Sea, with Metal Face being the stage boss on the Sword Valley stage, and a swarm of Telethia being a stage hazard on Eryth Sea.

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
Interesting, expanding on that, maybe if you go to Sword Valley, sometimes there is the war, and other times there are not.

The only problem with this, is that stages are usually designed to be played in full during a 2 minute match, so that you would experience the things during that.

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
I'd personally would rather not want bosses in the Xenoblade stage, mainly because from what I've seen so far I don't like how they're implemented. I'd rather focus on the fight than have to worry about Metal Face. Though it would be fitting in a way to have him come in and ruin all the fun.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I think Xenoblade could very well get two Wii U stages. If Sakurai likes the game a lot, I feel we could two stages. I feel Gaur Plains will be the 3DS stage, and would be relatively hazard less, and then on the Wii U we could have Sword Valley and Eryth Sea, with Metal Face being the stage boss on the Sword Valley stage, and a swarm of Telethia being a stage hazard on Eryth Sea.
Yeah. It's not unheard of for a franchise to get more than one new stage at a time anyway. And this image we have here makes me believe that we can expect Xenoblade to be treated just fine :)

Interesting, expanding on that, maybe if you go to Sword Valley, sometimes there is the war, and other times there are not.

The only problem with this, is that stages are usually designed to be played in full during a 2 minute match, so that you would experience the things during that.
I agree. As for speed, what I had in mind was like how Arwings swoop in occasionally and then leave not too much longer after that. Or how the hazard at Bridge of Eldin works. Something that doesn't linger on for too long, then move on from there.

I'd personally would rather not want bosses in the Xenoblade stage, mainly because from what I've seen so far I don't like how they're implemented. I'd rather focus on the fight than have to worry about Metal Face. Though it would be fitting in a way to have him come in and ruin all the fun.
Yeah, I'd prefer that we don't have them either, but I'd be okay if we ended up with two Xenoblade stages where one is hazard free while the other has hazards. I could live with that.

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
Guys, one thing worth noting is that the non-default forms of player characters ALWAYS look ****ty. Look at player-created Commander Shepards, and you'll see what I mean. (Adding onto that, it's even harder to make anime-style 3D characters...)
Besides, the game is not finished. Maybe they'll polish up the character models by 2015, when the game is released.

Space duck is love. Space duck is life. Well, Space Duck isn't love, Space Duck is renegade. Space Duck doesn't have time for love's crap, unless it comes in the form of mind-melding with a sexy Asari.

I gotta' say, unless we're discussing a 3DS stage, I am just not warm at all to the idea of a Xenoblade stage that is a single area. I've just always loved the idea of a traveling stage around the Bionis, it makes the most sense, yes? I would be really sad if so many beautiful areas were left to waste and we only got a single thing in SSBU. However, with two stages...hmm, how about a traveling stage around the Bionis for one, and the Mechonis for another?

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Well, that's it for Metal Face. It's almost sad to see it go, but hey, at least making that account in the first place allowed me to come back with a bang! (Also to share the excellent Turnabout Sisters ballad to more people)
But anyway. At this point, I'd also really like Metal Face to be a boss. After all, I did make that account myself, and he's also super iconic.
shame about the gif though
I knew it was you. Either way, glad to see you've changed your mind.

And I'd prefer not to have to deal with stage bosses. With any luck, there'll be an option to toggle them on and off.

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
Personally, the way I see it, it makes the most sence if we have Sword Valley as a stage on the 3DS because its the part in-between the Bionis and MEchonis,. Whitch means we can have the two main battle themes as the two songs for the stage.

And I'd prefer not to have to deal with stage bosses. With any luck, there'll be an option to toggle them on and off.
The advantage of this game being on Wii U and 3DS, is that it is theoretically possible even post release of the game.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I gotta' say, unless we're discussing a 3DS stage, I am just not warm at all to the idea of a Xenoblade stage that is a single area. I've just always loved the idea of a traveling stage around the Bionis, it makes the most sense, yes? I would be really sad if so many beautiful areas were left to waste and we only got a single thing in SSBU. However, with two stages...hmm, how about a traveling stage around the Bionis for one, and the Mechonis for another?
What if the entirety of Bionis is a stage, no transitions, you just fight all over Bionis. Colony 9-Eryth Sea and everywhere else.

Hokori

Great King of Evil

If they are somewhat catering towards the competitive community, I imagine that it would be handled like how FD versions of stages were included. Assuming the FD versions will be treated like they were FD themselves, hazards will automagically be removed.

Otherwise, I don't think there will be an option for toggling because the stage was just meant to be a thriller to begin with from their point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom