• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Everest

Smash Cadet
yeah I need to continue my first play though too I just got Riki (curse you college getting in the way)
When you play games like Smash Bros. and Xenoblade you have to make a choice : video games or real life. I chose video game each time : lost my date, parents hating me, job firing me...

... TOTALLY WORTH IT.
Because that's how Xenoblade is.

Everest

Smash Cadet
I just woke up 5 minutes ago too tired to catch up
You missed some discussion about Isaac fanboys who just see "another random swordsman" in Shulk.

If we must follow the path of the discussion about other great JRPG, I must admit that a Bravely Default representation in SSB (I'd rather have a stage than the protagonist) would be great, just for the pleasure of hearing its magnifical OST

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
What are you guys hoping for in X? I'm hoping that we can go into outer space in mechs. Also has mech customization been confirmed? I hope that's a feature
I'm hoping that there's secret bosses. I'm especially hoping that you can fight Shulk or one of his descendants wielding the Monado, and when you beat them they join your party.

If we must follow the path of the discussion about other great JRPG, I must admit that a Bravely Default representation in SSB (I'd rather have a stage than the protagonist) would be great, just for the pleasure of hearing its magnifical OST
Yeah, if Square Enix gets a playable rep, it wouldn't surprise me if it was one of the Bravely Default characters. After that I'd say Neku or Black Mage are likely also. Can't use Sora because he's owned by Disney.

Last edited:

SpindaMaster

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3136-6569-2540
You missed some discussion about Isaac fanboys who just see "another random swordsman" in Shulk.

Rayman's trophy gives me a little hope for a song or two from Bravely Default.

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
The fact that Monolith use to be owned by Namco and Namco is helping develop the game, I hope we get a KOSMOS trophy. Also a trophy of Zael and Calista from The Last Story and Aeron from Pandora's Tower would be neat. Also, some Baten Kaitos and Soma Bringer music.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Am I the only one tired of the stupid argument of "there are too many sword users already !" ?
I was just watching a video showing the pros and cons for Shulk in Smash 4, and it came again.
Now, I'm just wondering : what the hell is wrong with another sword user (which would make a total of 7 if Meta Knight's back according to the video), if the other 35+ characters are regular fighters/shooters ? Please ! Why can't they think about it at least a little before saying that argument over and over ? And I'm not even talking about the fact that Shulk would be quite a different sword user since the Monado is so special and all. He'd still be a "sword user" anyway, my question is just… What's wrong about that ?
What do you think about it ?
I hate that crap too, and don't you just love when they say too many swords and then want more Mario and pokemon characters. At least the sword fight are from different IP'S and not from the same IP.

Enyalb

Hardcore Wonder-Casual Dragoon
NNID
BLAYNEproject
3DS FC
5300-9911-6250
What are you guys hoping for in X? I'm hoping that we can go into outer space in mechs. Also has mech customization been confirmed? I hope that's a feature
A mech with drills, that way I can go Gurren Lagann on everything, and it will be glorious.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Man, the hype in this thread went off a cliff. And just when we're so close to catching up with potbelly crocodile man.

So, if Shulk gets announced at the next Nintendo Direct, how would you feel if right after they announce a HD rerelease of Xenoblade coming out either later this year or early next year?
I'd like to see Xenoblade Chronicles come to HD in the Wii U packaged with X, kinda in the same fashion that they're doing with Bayonetta. So much hype.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Man, the hype in this thread went off a cliff. And just when we're so close to catching up with potbelly crocodile man.

So, if Shulk gets announced at the next Nintendo Direct, how would you feel if right after they announce a HD rerelease of Xenoblade coming out either later this year or early next year?
Personally, I'd want to see if they could bring the original Xenoblade to 3DS. I think it could be really interesting, plus, it would give people who might not have that much time a chance to play the amazing game that is Xenoblade.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I suppose you missed the conversation a few pages back, but this is what I came up with.

My Top 5 Arts to Make into Stances:

1.) Buster - lowered speed, increased knock back and range
2.) Eater - below average damage and speed, but all attacks have a damage over time effect
3.) Armour - reduces damage taken, normal damage, slower speed
4.) Purge - Average all around, adds a short range projectile to some attacks that does better then average shield damage
5.) Speed - lowered defense and strength, increase in movement and attack speed
I must have. See, that actually sounds really interesting. It still doesn't really feel in-character, but it sounds like it could be alot of fun to play if it worked like that.

I actually hope they flesh out relationships more. Heart to hearts were a good idea in the original but maybe more akin to Awakening or Persona 4. Maybe even change up the story depending on who you fancy more.
As a huge fan of Persona 3/4, this is definitely a great idea. Pls.

Last edited:

SamTheMan711

Smash Apprentice

I honestly find that stupid considering isaac's more generic than shulk

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
This. I don't get why people have to fight over it. If Shulk gets in Isaac isn't any less likely or anything like that.

Also, not meaning to be offensive to Isaac fans, but he had his best chance Pre-Brawl, when his games were relatively new and well received. Now, I know Dark Dawn came out after Brawl, but it wasn't met with the best reception...

Also, the Golden Sun games haven't aged very well at all. There's an entire Lets Play about how bad Golden Sun's story is (http://lparchive.org/Golden-Sun/), and the Gameplay is that of any standard JRPG.

Not saying this affects Isaac's chances or anything, I'm not against his inclusion at all, I mean, him having an Adult Isaac alt with that glorious beard would be amazing enough, but I don't see him as likely or anything like that. I can only see him as DLC more than anything.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Hey, I'm happy again guys! Bring me Xenoblade HD, would buy 15 copies day one.

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
This. I don't get why people have to fight over it. If Shulk gets in Isaac isn't any less likely or anything like that.

Also, not meaning to be offensive to Isaac fans, but he had his best chance Pre-Brawl, when his games were relatively new and well received. Now, I know Dark Dawn came out after Brawl, but it wasn't met with the best reception...

Also, the Golden Sun games haven't aged very well at all. There's an entire Lets Play about how bad Golden Sun's story is (http://lparchive.org/Golden-Sun/), and the Gameplay is that of any standard JRPG.

Not saying this affects Isaac's chances or anything, I'm not against his inclusion at all, I mean, him having an Adult Isaac alt with that glorious beard would be amazing enough, but I don't see him as likely or anything like that. I can only see him as DLC more than anything.
No, don't you see? Obviously they're both blonde, so obviously only one can get in.
They may not share anything else in common, but that's why only one can get in and why I hate [insert Golden Sun or Xenoblade here]

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
going on other possible JRPG that could be reped I'd love bravely default reped somehow maybe a assist or a stage or something

Hokori

Great King of Evil

As much as I like Isaac (he's my 3rd-4th most wanted), I think it's kinda silly to think that he'd have priority over Shulk or anything. But really, one's existence as a playable character in Smash should have bring no harm to the other's chances.

Hey, I'm happy again guys! Bring me Xenoblade HD, would buy 15 copies day one.
If the games cost as much as they do now, you must have some mad stacks :troll:

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of Xenoblade HD, if it actually was a thing what area would you be looking forward to seeing the most? Personally Makna Forest for me, I like jungle settings.

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of Xenoblade HD, if it actually was a thing what area would you be looking forward to seeing the most? Personally Makna Forest for me, I like jungle settings.
I hate Makna, it's so hard to get anywhere because it's so hard to see anywhere. I would love to see Eryth in HD, though. It's one of my favorite areas in the game.

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann

It's hard for me not to sound biased since I've made It know I'm not a fan of the Golden Sun series, but I really do think Isaac's chance to get in Smash was in Brawl. Of course he could still get in, you never know and I wouldn't be opposed, but I really doubt he or anyone else from that series will get in. Which is why I really want Shulk in (besides my being a big fan of Xenoblade). This is really Shulk's only shot of getting in Smash. If he doesn't and we get a Xenoblade rep next time it would probably be someone else. Or Bionis forbid, but what if when Smash 5 starts development Nintendo has stopped making Xenoblade games and the series is hanging out with Golden Sun, F-Zero and Mother in the land of forgotten Nintendo franchises. That's one of the main reasons why Shulk needs to be in Smash 4. Because he'll be popular and unique enough to stick around for the next game(s), but if he doesn't he won't get in period.

Of course we all know Shulk is in so we shouldn't fret too much.

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
all of them hurphehephe
I can't decide a single one though. I loved every area about equally (Yes, I liked Ether Mine's atmosphere), but if I had to choose...Eryth Sea.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
all of them hurphehephe
I can't decide a single one though. I loved every area about equally (Yes, I liked Ether Mine's atmosphere), but if I had to choose...Eryth Sea.
Same here. Although, if I had to choose...

It'd be the Mechonis in general, strangely enough. All the pipes and machines all over the place. The complexity of it awe was amazing...Shulk and the party were so tiny in comparison. And don't even get me started on the Central Factory. Dat music.

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
Same here. Although, if I had to choose...

It'd be the Mechonis in general, strangely enough. All the pipes and machines all over the place. The complexity of it awe was amazing...Shulk and the party were so tiny in comparison. And don't even get me started on the Central Factory. Dat music.
I loved the Mechonis areas too! When I first got there, I pretty much marathoned all of Mechonis in a day. Looked awesome, fantastic music, the scale, everything you mentioned. Seeing those areas in HD would be amazing.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I saw 15 pages and began to cry...
So I skipped them all! Someone fill me in? :3
We got off-topic, got back on topic, started discussing the Ninka/Vaanrose leak and Shulk's supposed stance change moveset, started talking about what we want to see from X, what we would do if there was an HD Xenoblade (I personally want to see Xenoblade on the 3DS) got into a brief off-topic discussion about how if Shulk gets in Isaac isn't any less likely (and how Isaac had WAY better chances of being playable pre-Brawl), and then started talking about how great an HD Xenoblade would be.

Also, answering that, I'd like to see the character and enemy models in an HD Xenoblade.

Lets admit it, Xenoblade didn't have the best character models...

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
While they weren't the best, I personally didn't find them bad either. They were actually kind of charming. But I guess it was just me understanding they had to make some sacrifices on the Wii for a game that big. If it had been on another same-gen platform, I would've been disappointed.

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
While they weren't the best, I personally didn't find them bad either. They were actually kind of charming. But I guess it was just me understanding they had to make some sacrifices on the Wii for a game that big. If it had been on another same-gen platform, I would've been disappointed.
The character models grew on me immensely by the end of my first playthrough. Those eyes scared the crap out of me the first time though. Painted on eyes. I really can't wait to see Shulk's Smash model.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
The Fallen Arm and Satorl Marsh would be amazing in HD.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
what you all thought on the British voice actors I know alot of people who did not like Xenoblade was because of the accents alot of actors had I however actually liked the British voice acting felt right for the game IMO

Last edited:

Everest

Smash Cadet
The character models grew on me immensely by the end of my first playthrough. Those eyes scared the crap out of me the first time though. Painted on eyes. I really can't wait to see Shulk's Smash model.
As far as Xenoblade is a must have for every Wii owner, its character 3D models are absolutely atrocious. A shame considering the artworks were not bad at all.

I don't know if you've seen the models of Xenoblde Chronicles X, but it looks like it will go the same way as the first Xenoblade x)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The fact that Monolith use to be owned by Namco and Namco is helping develop the game, I hope we get a KOSMOS trophy. Also a trophy of Zael and Calista from The Last Story and Aeron from Pandora's Tower would be neat. Also, some Baten Kaitos and Soma Bringer music.
If not KOS-MOS, then maybe Kalas from Baten Kaitos? Namco and Monolith collab'd on that too. (which I really need to continue that...) Kalas could be a plain trophy while KOS-MOS an assist I guess, since she also appeared in the 3DS title Project X Zone?
I still haven't played all the Xenosagas or beat Xenogears either orz...and I think Aeron would make another cool assist while Zael is a normal trophy too

Last edited:

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
what you all thought on the British voice actors I know alot of people who did not like Xenoblade was because of the accents alot of actors had I however actually liked the British voice acting felt right for the game IMO
I'll put it to you this way. I'm a Doctor Who fan.

a.k.a. I have no problem with it. I love the voice acting.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'll put it to you this way. I'm a Doctor Who fan.

a.k.a. I have no problem with it. I love the voice acting.
Speaking of Doctor Who, it took me a while to realize that Melia's VA played Clara Oswald on the show, which I found really neat. c:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Hey guys, if Hyrule Warriors has playable characters in it not from Zelda, what do you think of Shulk being playable?
Nah, I couldn't see it happening. I could see maybe Mario or Ryu Hayabusa or a popular character from the Dynasty Wars series, but not Shulk.

But then again, most of it won't matter because I'll be playing Sheik most of the time.

Is it just me, or does the hype seem to be lower than usual?
I'd say hype is at an all-time low all across the community. Face it, we're in the post E3 drought. The newcomer livestream was cool and all, but the hype from that died down relatively fast (in about a week), right now, we're just waiting for more news, and POTDs don't really do much unless they're a new stage reveal or a veteran reveal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom