• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I don't really trust the leak either, but yeah, you basically got it. I'm not sure if I'd follow up by having it also do things like:

- Eater Mode does damage over time with normal attacks (+Normal Attack Damage/-Defense for Shulk)
- Shield Mode absorbs x amount of damage from special moves (+Special Attack Defense/-Sp. Attack Damage for Shulk)
-Armor Mode absorbs x amount of damage from normal moves (+Defense/-Normal Attack Damage)
- Purge Mode...well, all the uses I'd want for purge don't really work for a "mode".

The more I think about this, the dumber it sounds. It sounds not only unfitting for Shulk, but more like Pokemon mechanics, and completely overcomplicated/not very Smash Bros.-y. (It also sounds super OP with or without my additions.)

Edit: In fact, come to think of it, how could you even get 5 completely different stances if they're two stats each? There's... +Attack/-Def, +Def/-Attack, +Speed/-Attack, +Def/-Speed, +Attack/-Speed...and +Speed/-Def. That's not 5. And also wouldn't make sense to have 5 different stances that are dichotomous. Something would get left out. Also, it sounds really dull and uninspired. Basically, there isn't a single thing right about it, and Sakurai's never done that with a moveset for a popular newcomer before. Even Mewtwo's and Ike's made more sense than this...

It just makes it sound like the leaker has zero idea how Xenoblade actually works, and wanted to state what they thought was obvious. "Magitech sword? Different colors/symbols? Those must be modes or some ****. Yeah!"

If it's real, which I doubt, I'm going to be very confused with Sakurai, and why there weren't Monolith Soft people, who'd I imagine he'd ask to help with Shulk's moveset, slapping him in the face.
I suppose you missed the conversation a few pages back, but this is what I came up with.

My Top 5 Arts to Make into Stances:

1.) Buster - lowered speed, increased knock back and range
2.) Eater - below average damage and speed, but all attacks have a damage over time effect
3.) Armour - reduces damage taken, normal damage, slower speed
4.) Purge - Average all around, adds a short range projectile to some attacks that does better then average shield damage
5.) Speed - lowered defense and strength, increase in movement and attack speed

Theotakugirl9

Smash Apprentice
It's bs. There's no quota on how many sword fighters the game can have. Sakurai's biggest concern is if a character can separate themselves from other characters, which Shulk can. People who use the "too many sword-wielders" argument are blatantly ignorant, end of story.
Ive seen people call shulk another sword user and then they turn around and say they want chrom the game which makes no sense :p

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Ive seen people call shulk another sword user and then they turn around and say they want chrom the game which makes no sense :p
Someone in the "Top 5 Most and Least Wanted" thread once had Isaac in their top 5 then put Shulk in their least wanted because he's "a generic blonde anime swordsman". T'was hilarious.

Everest

Smash Cadet
Someone in the "Top 5 Most and Least Wanted" thread once had Isaac in their top 5 then put Shulk in their least wanted because he's "a generic blonde anime swordsman". T'was hilarious.
I think I can understand why. Since Isaac can use earth and plants based magic (plus his djinns and his "hands" psynergies), his moveset might seems a lot more varied than Shulk's arts. I think it may be harder for someone who hasn't played Xenoblade to figure out an original moveset for Shulk.
Isaac could also make a great newcomer IMO

Last edited:

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
I think I can understand why. Since Isaac can use earth and plants based magic (plus his djinns and his "hands" psynergies), his moveset might seems a lot more varied than Shulk's arts. I think it may be harder for someone who hasn't played Xenoblade to figure out an original moveset for Shulk.
I never meant to imply he couldn't. But the two are equally unique. Supporting one then calling the other "generic anime blond guy blah blah blah" is hypocritical. I don't actively support Isaac, but I don't oppose his addition and would never call him generic or unoriginal. Lack of knowledge is no excuse, either. My philosophy is that if you don't know anything about a character, keep your trap shut and stop making assumptions, because when detractors make those ignorant statements, it shows clear as day that they know jack **** about the character.

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
I get that it'd be harder for someone who hasn't played Xenoblade to know what Shulk could do.
But that's why people shouldn't be stupid and make those assumptions. I never played Golden Sun. I see Isaac with a sword. "herp derp generic swordsdude! xdxd" I know what Isaac can do at least from the gameplay I've seen.
I'm tired. Sorry for sounding upset.

Everest

Smash Cadet
I actually agree with both of you. I just wanted to point out that it's easier for the unexperienced eye to think of a moveset for Isaac than for Shulk. That doesn't justify the leitmotiv "generic swordsman blond hair dude" but it makes it more comprehensive :(

Edit : That being said I absolutely want the august trailer to reveal both of them fighting each other :D

Last edited:

Theotakugirl9

Smash Apprentice
I get that it'd be harder for someone who hasn't played Xenoblade to know what Shulk could do.
But that's why people shouldn't be stupid and make those assumptions. I never played Golden Sun. I see Isaac with a sword. "herp derp generic swordsdude! xdxd" I know what Isaac can do at least from the gameplay I've seen.
I'm tired. Sorry for sounding upset.
I only know issac from the brawl gameplay i pretty much knew what shulk could do before i played the game because i watched gameplay of it another reason people push shulk aside is his games price its really expensive so people dont just get it from the case usually they see the price its like nopw

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
My philosophy is that if you don't know anything about a character, keep your trap shut and stop making assumptions, because when detractors make those ignorant statements, it shows clear as day that they know jack **** about the character.
Seconded. All I know of Isaac is Brawl, even though I've downloaded Golden Sun from the eShop and not started it. He looks unique from what I've seen, though. I don't comment on him, beyond "Yeah he looks cool, I'd be down for that".
I haven't played a huge range of DK games (Bit of Country, all 64, half of Country Returns) so I don't comment on K. Rool. Because one boss fight doesn't really give me enough of a feel for him.
Chorus Men is a bit of an exception, since it sounds like everyone's on the same playing field for how they'd work as a fighter (meaning: no one really knows, maybe implement rhythm.)

I dunno, I think I just don't want to look like an ill-informed idiot. People get upset if you do that.

Last edited:

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
what if sakurai added some moves from other party members to Shulk like he did with robin maybe have dunban's dancing blossom for example

yoonb

Smash Journeyman
what if sakurai added some moves from other party members to Shulk like he did with robin maybe have dunban's dancing blossom for example
That's unnecessary. Shulk already has enough moves of his own. But then again, Ness and Lucas did take PK Starstorm as well as some other moves.

Everest

Smash Cadet
It wouldn't be the first time. If I'm not wrong neither Ness nor Lucas can use the Pk Fire. But Shulk has enough offensive options to not have to use other party members attacks.
But if that was to happen it wouldn't cause me any problem. I see the blossom dance works like like the side-b of marth. Rikki's DOT moves could be great too.

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
Man, the hype in this thread went off a cliff. And just when we're so close to catching up with potbelly crocodile man.

So, if Shulk gets announced at the next Nintendo Direct, how would you feel if right after they announce a HD rerelease of Xenoblade coming out either later this year or early next year?

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Man, the hype in this thread went off a cliff. And just when we're so close to catching up with potbelly crocodile man.

So, if Shulk gets announced at the next Nintendo Direct, how would you feel if right after they announce a HD rerelease of Xenoblade coming out either later this year or early next year?

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
I would not say the hype is gone just more like we are trying to not spam like we been lately

D

Deleted member

Keep the faith alive! We'll defeat that krocodile!

If Shulk gets announced in the next Direct, I will be hyped out of my mind! If an HD remake of Xenoblade was announced immediately after, my body will probably explode due to the hype! I would love to see Xenoblade get remade in HD!

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
Keep the faith alive! We'll defeat that krocodile!

If Shulk gets announced in the next Direct, I will be hyped out of my mind! If an HD remake of Xenoblade was announced immediately after, my body will probably explode due to the hype! I would love to see Xenoblade get remade in HD!

every Shulk fan if that happen

Last edited:

Link_enfant

Smash Apprentice
Man, stop this now. The hype would be just too high. I've been hoping for that since I finished the game !!

Edit : well I see I'm not the only one haha :)

Last edited:

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
what if they announced a bundle with Xenoblade X like they are doing with Bayantte 2

DuwangAnon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0516-7668-7793
That's unnecessary. Shulk already has enough moves of his own. But then again, Ness and Lucas did take PK Starstorm as well as some other moves.
Well, Ness and Lucas, I believe, were the healers of their group. Not necessarily the main damage output. So yeah, they'd have to have a bit more moves.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Xenoblade remade with the X engine. Think about that for a day or five. Also, I haven't posted a lot today because my spirits are at an all time low and the guilt is eating me up.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
Xenoblade remade with the X engine. Think about that for a day or five. Also, I haven't posted a lot today because my spirits are at an all time low and the guilt is eating me up.
YOU ARE LACKING GET ON IT MORE GIFS "whips Solfiner"

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
I still say it'd be a better idea to rerelease Xenoblade on the eShop and maybe as a budget standalone retial release before X comes out, that way people who are curious about Xenoblade after playing Shulk in Smash 4 can try out the old game before the new one comes out.

Last edited:

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
I still say it'd be a better idea to rerelease Xenoblade on the eShop and maybe as a budget standalone retial release before X comes out, that way people who are curious about Xenoblade after playing Shulk in Smash 4 can try out the old game before the new one comes out.
aw but then they won't know the honor of buying the game in person for 80-100 bucks because it's so hard to find (ps I actually got my for $50 sucker!):4pacman:

Last edited:

DarkRyu

Smash Cadet
NNID
YoungChief
3DS FC
4098-2758-3357
What are you guys hoping for in X? I'm hoping that we can go into outer space in mechs. Also has mech customization been confirmed? I hope that's a feature

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
What are you guys hoping for in X? I'm hoping that we can go into outer space in mechs. Also has mech customization been confirmed? I hope that's a feature
I'm hoping it stays true to xenoblade because idk if it is just me it feels odd we are able to use mechs now when in the last game we was fighting mechs all the time

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro

I would like this a lot, doesn't have to be an HD repackage to begin with. The original restributed would have been just as nice since I haven't got the chance to play the original yet.

DarkRyu

Smash Cadet
NNID
YoungChief
3DS FC
4098-2758-3357
I'm hoping it stays true to xenoblade because idk if it is just me it feels odd we are able to use mechs now when in the last game we was fighting mechs all the time
Yeah but even the homs used machines, remember when Fiora used one, didn't go so well for her but if they had robot suits I think they would have used them too

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
I actually hope they flesh out relationships more. Heart to hearts were a good idea in the original but maybe more akin to Awakening or Persona 4. Maybe even change up the story depending on who you fancy more.

aw but then they won't know the honor of buying the game in person for 80-100 bucks because it's so hard to find (ps I actually got my for $50 sucker!):4pacman:
I got mine for 50 dollars...because I got it the day it came out! OG Xenoblade fan here wooo, and yes the view from my ivory tower is great. Also, does anyone else here have the pre-order are book, and if so how good of a coaster does it make? Just kidding I would never do that to my precious art book even if it's a little useless.

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
I'd rather see Xenoblade HD released after X. Just so they can add in any improvements or new features from X into the remake.

D

Deleted member

I just hope that it stays true to Xenoblade's formula and makes some improvements to it. Mech customization sounds like a fantastic idea BTW.

I'm more fearful about the silent protagonist. I'm really hoping that this is just early game stuff and he gets some voice and involvement with the story like Robin does in Awakening.

I spent $70 on my copy. I don't care if I spent a lot of money on Xenoblade; the game is absolutely fantastic and the deal was worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I got my copy for 50 dollars too, but that is extremely cheap in my country. If I bought it new it would have costed twice as much.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I need to get around to beating Xenoblade... I think I put 20 hours in so far and I'm at this beautiful large lake that has this floating structure in the middle. I'm tempted to just boot the game up over the weekend and play through it this weekend, actually.

Rikobomo

Smash Apprentice
Let me guess, Xenoblade is the first Takahashi game you've played, right? :p

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
I need to get around to beating Xenoblade... I think I put 20 hours in so far and I'm at this beautiful large lake that has this floating structure in the middle. I'm tempted to just boot the game up over the weekend and play through it this weekend, actually.
Eryth Sea in 20 hours? I feel like it would take longer ._. Impressive

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I think it is roughly 20 hours. I mean, I kinda breezed through some side-quests. Maybe that's why the last time I played I was dying or felt underleveled.

One thing that really sucks with JRPGs is that if you leave it and come back to it later, you have to relearn how to use skills and how things work again. Hate going through it.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
yeah I need to continue my first play though too I just got Riki (curse you college getting in the way)

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I just need to face three super bosses. I am terrified. After that it's on to NG+.

Last edited:

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
I just got to Frontier Village in my current playthrough. In an insane amount of luck, I managed to find a Fossil Monkey not long after arriving in Makna Forest. This is the quickest I've ever gotten Colony 6 to housing level 2. Here's hope that the luck continues when it comes time to hunt for Rainbow Slugs. *knock on wood*

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom