• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
This may sound weird but the other night I had a dream that the Xenoblade stage we got was similar to the Ice Climber stage in Melee and the DK stage in Brawl where you scroll upwards, basically climbing the Bionis. While that may sound cool on paper (though I'd have no idea how that would work) I hate those stages with a passion and really hope Xenoblade doesn't get that treatment. In fact no franchise deserves that, not even Golden Sun :troll:

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
You get extra stuff if you find hidden areas. Fill out a map, and you get unlimited Final Smashes. Just watch out for the level 80+ roaming monsters, though.
Actually, wouldn't it be cool if you could get new Smash Run maps (possibly a new addition is SSB5 or some sought of DLC thing) themed to games. The bionis would be an obvious pick, and then maybe Peaches Castle?

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
This may sound weird but the other night I had a dream that the Xenoblade stage we got was similar to the Ice Climber stage in Melee and the DK stage in Brawl where you scroll upwards, basically climbing the Bionis. While that may sound cool on paper (though I'd have no idea how that would work) I hate those stages with a passion and really hope Xenoblade doesn't get that treatment. In fact no franchise deserves that, not even Golden Sun :troll:
I had several experiences raging because of that damned DK Stage. So indeed, it sounds nice on paper, but that's gonna be a piece of paper I'll personally end up setting on fire because I won't be able to sleep at night if Shulk had to call a scroller stage his home :cry:

Last edited:

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
What do you guys think if instead of a stage boss, the Xenoblade stage instead had a bunch of character cameos in the background that wouldn't interfere with the fight and would instead taunt the players/recite quotes from the game? For instance, the obvious Metal Face Just flying by spamming "weak, weak and pathetic" among others

D

Deleted member

What do you guys think if instead of a stage boss, the Xenoblade stage instead had a bunch of character cameos in the background that wouldn't interfere with the fight and would instead taunt the players/recite quotes from the game? For instance, the obvious Metal Face Just flying by spamming "weak, weak and pathetic" among others
I dunno if I would like that. It might get annoying after a while.

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
What's up with all the Golden Sun bashing? Talking about how one LP is completely devoted to how bad the game is.
While the (protagonists) characters are pretty flat, you have a lot of things to find on the world map and in the countless areas, the battle system supports so many different strategies with all the class-change and Djinn mechanics, the graphics are stunning for GBA, the story is surprisingly well-made despite the characters being flat, and the story is one of the main points that let's me hope for GS4 as you really want new answers to all the questions you have (Alex' intentions being the biggest mystery), and Motoi Sakuraba soundtrack. That guy that composed Tales of... and helped Kid Icarus: Uprising and, afaik, Bravely Default. Seriously, I think the game is great, and it did age pretty well. Everything IMO, of course, just as always.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I could imagine that background chatter throwing salt in the wounds for people that are losing. Especially at a tournament. Taking in-game smack talk? Comedy :laugh:

What's up with all the Golden Sun bashing? Talking about how one LP is completely devoted to how bad the game is.
While the (protagonists) characters are pretty flat, you have a lot of things to find on the world map and in the countless areas, the battle system supports so many different strategies with all the class-change and Djinn mechanics, the graphics are stunning for GBA, the story is surprisingly well-made despite the characters being flat, and the story is one of the main points that let's me hope for GS4 as you really want new answers to all the questions you have (Alex' intentions being the biggest mystery), and Motoi Sakuraba soundtrack. That guy that composed Tales of... and helped Kid Icarus: Uprising and, afaik, Bravely Default. Seriously, I think the game is great, and it did age pretty well. Everything IMO, of course, just as always.
I like to think that people are just joking because of the former Shulk v Isaac rivalry. Personally, I love Golden Sun and Isaac, so I'd be taking my leave to see people truly trying to bash the game, Isaac and his supporters.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I had several experiences raging because of that damned DK Stage. So indeed, it sounds nice on paper, but that's gonna be a piece of paper I'll personally end up setting on fire because I won't be able to sleep at night if Shulk had to call a scroller stage his home :cry:
The worst part of the DK page was those stupid insta-kill spikes. If Shulk's home stage ends up a scroller stage I won't be mad, as at least we get Shulk.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Good point. Basically like Egg Man in every Sonic game... Why do developers make characters spam dialogue?

The worst part of the DK page was those stupid insta-kill spikes. If Shulk's home stage ends up a scroller stage I won't be mad, as at least we get Shulk.
I kind of...umm... liked that DK stage, well only for fun.

Metal Face is really the only option for a boss. He's the most iconic and the rest for the most part are too big of a spoiler. (Although Smash seems to ignore those...)

Like I've said probably 150 pages ago, Shulk is all I need and everything else is just a bonus, but there will be more content.

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
They make them spam it beacuse they are said based on action (ie. metal face uses attack 4 says line 4) and making huge amounts of unique diolouge would be expensive and difficult to program (unless you are using rendered voices, such a Tomodachi Life).

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
If we got two Xenoblade stages on the Wii U, my vote would be Junks and Neo Los Angeles. We still don't know much about X, but it looks like a very cool place and I'd love both games to be represented.

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
I could imagine that background chatter throwing salt in the wounds for people that are losing. Especially at a tournament. Taking in-game smack talk? Comedy :laugh:

I like to think that people are just joking because of the former Shulk v Isaac rivalry. Personally, I love Golden Sun and Isaac, so I'd be taking my leave to see people truly trying to bash the game, Isaac and his supporters.
While I personally don't care for the series, I don't hate it. And when I usually bring it up like you said it's in good fun, hence the troll face on my last post.

Man, why am I so excited for the possibility of an announcement of a Nintendo Direct tomorrow despite the fact that we have had no evidence to prove it's happening Friday? The Shulk hype is real.

D

Deleted member

But... Shouldn't you be used to it if you played through Xenoblade?
I'm fine with it in Xenoblade definitely! The quotes actually help me immerse into the game!
In a fighting game like Smash, I don't think that it would work as well since I might be distracted.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Man, why am I so excited for the possibility of an announcement of a Nintendo Direct tomorrow despite the fact that we have had no evidence to prove it's happening Friday? The Shulk hype is real.
Shh, if you don't keep your hype down, it'll spread like wildfire and then the gifs and hype trains will start coming out :troll:

Seriously though, I wouldn't be surprised to see something pretty nice on Friday. New month always translates to hype levels increasing since we're only getting closer and closer to release.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Shh, if you don't keep your hype down, it'll spread like wildfire and then the gifs and hype trains will start coming out :troll:

Seriously though, I wouldn't be surprised to see something pretty nice on Friday. New month always translates to hype levels increasing since we're only getting closer and closer to release.
There's gotta be an August Direct early in the month. If they were to do an August Direct the 1st Hype would go through the roof.

While I personally don't care for the series, I don't hate it. And when I usually bring it up like you said it's in good fun, hence the troll face on my last post.

Yeah, I'm not against Isaac and have nothing against any of his fans, I just don't think Golden Sun is a good game. :/

But hey, that's my opinion. If you don't like it, I'm ok with that, I know there are plenty of people out there who like Golden Sun, I'm just not one of those people. I'm sorry. :(

Last edited:

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
If we got two Xenoblade stages on the Wii U, my vote would be Junks and Neo Los Angeles. We still don't know much about X, but it looks like a very cool place and I'd love both games to be represented.
That's... actually not a bad idea in my opinion. I have to say, the idea of a Neo Los Angeles stage does intrigue me. It's probably not very likely, with XCX most likely coming out anywhere from mid to late next year, but I could see quite a bit of potential in NLA as a stage.

SpindaMaster

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3136-6569-2540
Firstly: Welcome back @TitanTeaTime! We missed you! :b:

Secondly: I love the British voice acting as much as the next guy, but keep one thing in mind: these characters are American. It'd be weird to hear Xenoblade with American voices, but I almost feel as though it'd be weirder to hear British accents in an American city. Obviously there could be some characters with British accents, and recurring characters from Xenoblade had better retain their British voice actors. But what are your thoughts?

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX

Secondly: I love the British voice acting as much as the next guy, but keep one thing in mind: these characters are American. It'd be weird to hear Xenoblade with American voices, but I almost feel as though it'd be weirder to hear British accents in an American city. Obviously there could be some characters with British accents, and recurring characters from Xenoblade had better retain their British voice actors. But what are your thoughts?
I love the british voice acting in Xenoblade because it is something different to hear, but I don't mind american voice acting at all.

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Keep up with the thread, not very many updates, leave, 3 new pages what happened
-Plenty of constructive discussion while retaining the good vibes of the thread just as I envisioned.
-I recently created a convo for people who wish to discuss general things (can still be Shulk/Xenoblade related), share funny gifs, videos, etc.

Sounds like a pretty good day to me. Now that you're back, you can socialize with your Bronados.

Personally, I'd love to have British voice acting in Smash. It'll be so fresh too.

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman

I'm really sad that the city is American, since that means less chance for British voices. I'll live, I suppose. But I'll miss the days where I played too much Xenoblade in one sitting and started thinking in a British accent.

SpindaMaster

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3136-6569-2540
I love the british voice acting in Xenoblade because it was something different to hear, but I don't mind american voice acting at all.
I don't either. I'm just saying that even though the first Xenoblade had British voice acting, would anyone mind this game having primarily American since the human characters will be American.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522

Yeah, as much as I love Xenoblade's British voice acting, it would be pretty weird to have a city called Neo Los Angeles and for everyone in it to speak with a British accent. It would kind of break the immersion. I'm just hoping that there's a Neo London somewhere in there.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I don't either. I'm just saying that even though the first Xenoblade had British voice acting, would anyone mind this game having primarily American since the human characters will be American.
I'd prefer if it stuck with the British voice acting since I associate Xenoblade with it. If it changes I'll be slightly disappointed, but honestly I'd quickly get over it and enjoy the game

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
I thought of a way for British and American voice acting to be in X, but it'd only work if a theory I had applies.

The area of the planet NLA lands in looks like Bionis Leg. What if that planet ends up being Shulk's world thousands of years later, and Earth was just part of the endless world he created (by endless "world" I imagine they meant all that existed, the universe). And anyone from that planet has a British accent and anyone from Earth has an American accent.

Probably won't be the case though. I can't think of much else to support that theory.

Last edited:

SpindaMaster

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3136-6569-2540
Yeah, as much as I love Xenoblade's British voice acting, it would be pretty weird to have a city called Neo Los Angeles and for everyone in it to speak with a British accent. It would kind of break the immersion. I'm just hoping that there's a Neo London somewhere in there.
Yeah, I agree. Although I kind of wonder how many other Neo cities there'll be. Will there be a Neo New York City? A Neo Olde Tokyo? A Neo Kyoto with Neo Nintendo's and Neo Monolith Soft's headquarters? The possibilities are endless!

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Yeah, VA is something I can get over with time (usually), so I wouldn't mind American VA too much. Kinda the same way how I'm getting use to some of the characters who experience a change in voice recently (i.e. Fox)

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Yeah, I agree. Although I kind of wonder how many other Neo cities there'll be. Will there be a Neo New York City? A Neo Olde Tokyo? A Neo Kyoto with Neo Nintendo's and Neo Monolith Soft's headquarters? The possibilities are endless!
Who knows, they might make room for them in a sequel. Takahashi always has wanted to make an epic, six part JRPG series. This might just be the perfect opportunity now that he's with Nintendo. There might be more surviving arc ships in XCX-2 or XCX-3.

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
That's actually totally what I meant. I wouldn't mind; it even fits the setting better when we have a Neo Los Angeles.
Neo London sounds pretty cool though. I would definitely like to see more british accent. I would also like to see Neo Tokio, a Neo New York City, a Neo Hamburg, a Neo Rome, a Neo Athens...
Yes, the possiblities are indeed endless.

Last edited:

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
How big do you think Planet Mira is going to be? From what we saw Neo Los Angeles already seems like a small, minor location on this planet. This could potentially become one of the biggest worlds of all times in games.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I swear if he ends up as an AT (unlikely, but it might happen all the same) I will be so angry. Shulk has so much potential for a unique moveset that to pass him up would almost be a crime.
I'll be so mad how can he be a AT Sakurai have so many choices to make a move set, it will be so sad that a modder can make a move set for Shulk and not Sakurai.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Speaking of X, didn't one of the guys during the demo stream say something about an Easter egg? Like, that E3 would take place in Neo Los Angeles or something?

SpindaMaster

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3136-6569-2540
How big do you think Planet Mira is going to be? From what we saw Neo Los Angeles already seems like a small, minor location on this planet. This could potentially become one of the biggest worlds of all times in games.
If there's interstellar travel and each planet is fully explorable then it probably would be the biggest.
Speaking of X, didn't one of the guys during the demo stream say something about an Easter egg? Like, that E3 would take place in Neo Los Angeles or something?
As awesome as that'd be, I think they were just joking :p

Last edited:

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Well, Takahashi did say that he wants to make the largest world possible on a Wii U game. Considering that Wii U disks can hold around 50 GB on two layers (correct me if I'm wrong), and that Monolith Soft was able to take the Wii and make a game the size of the entire Japanese archipelago, I'd say we're in for one of the largest worlds in video game history.
I believe they were joking when they talked about "Neo E3." Would it be awesome as all heck? Yes. Is it likely to happen? Not really.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
I wonder how many playable characters there will be...It'd be neat if there could be times where you had more the three party members out on the battlefield, like what was done in the Last Story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom