• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GMC Presents : TNJ! Febuary 10th/11th. Yeovil, Somerset. PROPER UPDATE FIRST PAGE!!1

Omadon

Internal Combustion Power
Alot of players in the UK are starting to pick up secondaries anyway.
That isnt necessarily true. I'm trying to grab as many new players into the game as I possibly can - and as Ed said, alot of them are having issues with one competetive character. I'd say the only one down here with more than one seriously viable character is Jake. I'd be happy to do normal slobs with stage bannings personaly. But blah, I am but a cog in the machine :p I can knock it all I want on a hypothetical basis but I've never actualy tried it, so I'll give it a whirl.

The one posetive thing here is however. I am now at much more liberty to try Kirby in a tournament :p Becuase if I manage to win a game I don't get utterly gimped if they can play Marth.

Kone

Smash Master
Zeppo is right in that advanced slobs won't make much of a difference to be honest :

eg Edmas me v reacher

he lost first game :

r : ill go link

K : ill go peach

r: i choose yoshis story

Kone wins

LOL but yeah you guys get the point, wont change to much atm. And i dont think many people are picking up a secondary. Alot of people paly the game for a while,g et to a decent level and suddenely hit a wall. They think they need to start playing a second char to get past certain char matchups. This is true sometimes, but most the time the player changing character is just impending their advancement further. Concentrate imo on one char until your competing with the best. Certain chars should never be scondaries anyway eg samus etc

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
Alot of people paly the game for a while,g et to a decent level and suddenely hit a wall. They think they need to start playing a second char to get past certain char matchups. This is true sometimes, but most the time the player changing character is just impending their advancement further. Concentrate imo on one char until your competing with the best. Certain chars should never be scondaries anyway eg samus etc
I'd definitely agree with this.Too much emphasis is put on characters,its only really in effect at the top of the metagame-unless its one of the really bad characters(Bowser,Kirby(yesss)).And even at the top you have Bum's DK getting 2nd at a big tourney,Mikael being best player in Japan using Peach,Aniki's Link.
Dont lose faith in your main.

One more thing:Are you guys using any Wiis for this tournament?They dont lag on FoD and Mute City for teams,good times it is.

Twiggy_Ramirez

Smash Apprentice
we could use wii's...

really not sure wether id would be ok bringing mine;

BUT; if people bring wii motes a mini tennis contest would be in order (thinks sat night)...
anyway will think about it

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
yeah im pretty sure my secondary is fox, so i agree with the secondary part =) but my jiggz is still practising those rests and combos.

Seems i might need a team partner

Reacher

Smash Apprentice
I disagree to be honest phil.

ASP doesn't really make a difference to the UK scene. Yes, it does serve us well getting used to the way it works. However, a good whack of our community haven't been playing long enough nor are they even established with one character enough to really need ASP.

Take it from me, its takes the normal player ****ing ages to train up one character in smash. No need telling people they should be training two at the same time. It'll but their advancement in the game behind and just confuse them. Each character in smash handles alot differently, especially delving into mindgames and character matchups. Heck, I reckon my Sheik is just about ready. But even then im not sure. Doug only has two, same with Jam. Outside that . . . . . . exactly.

So yeah, lets use ASP, but enough of the unneeded ASP love. It ain't ganin to do much for us lot netime soon.

EDIT: whats your point about being the only country that uses slob picks?! how often do you go to tournaments abroad? you planning to anytime soon? do we have a constant invasion of foreigners to UK tournaments?!a constant stream of UK players abroad? is our community as established, as large or as competitive as other european scenes?!

No to all the above.

ed
I think you might be misunderstanding me here, I agree with pretty much everything you're saying.

I'm not saying that people have to focus on training up other characters or anything, but the chances are they will do anyway. I know I've started to, Zeppo has, Alex has, Charles plays loads of characters aswell and there are probably others. Maybe we won't be using them in tournament anytime soon but when we do ASP should start to make more of a difference, and it won't do us any harm to change to that system now.

My point about us being the only country that uses slob picks is basically that there's no real reason for us not to use ASP, I know it's not loads better than normal slobs but you said it yourself that it would do us good to get used to the way it works.

Zeppo is right in that advanced slobs won't make much of a difference to be honest :

eg Edmas me v reacher

he lost first game :

r : ill go link

K : ill go peach

r: i choose yoshis story

Kone wins

LOL but yeah you guys get the point, wont change to much atm. And i dont think many people are picking up a secondary. Alot of people paly the game for a while,g et to a decent level and suddenely hit a wall. They think they need to start playing a second char to get past certain char matchups. This is true sometimes, but most the time the player changing character is just impending their advancement further. Concentrate imo on one char until your competing with the best. Certain chars should never be scondaries anyway eg samus etc

lol what is this? Next time we play, you're done ;)

The_Doug

Smash Ace
Who started this rule anyway??

Me, Cpt.Zeppo, MrP, and Bloodbowler are just about confirmed for coming to this now.

To add to the counterpicking rules:
Slob Picks < Advanced Slob Picks < Doug's slightly modified Advanced Slob Picks!

One more thing:Are you guys using any Wiis for this tournament?They dont lag on FoD and Mute City for teams,good times it is.
Really? Cool, I thought that was just a rumor. I bet stage loading times are fixed too.

I wonder who it was exactly that started the banning of Mute City/FoD in teams tournaments anyway. The rule came into the scene around early-mid 2006. If it wasn't MLG that started it, I bet it was a Fox, Falco, or IC johns master that hates Peach.

Omadon

Internal Combustion Power
Slob Picks < Advanced Slob Picks < Doug's slightly modified Advanced Slob Picks!
Define Doug's Slightly Modified Advanced Slob Picks? (I so want a reason to have DSMASP in the rules list. As that has to be the most spastic abreviation I've ever heard that doesn involve rofl in any way xD)

Helios

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oh don't be silly Doug. Remember our teams matches at SCT4? (the ones we didn't get any money for v_v)

Mute City was running at a constant 30 fps, and that's just not acceptable.

Bronze

Smash Journeyman
lol charles, we could do team double jiggs :psycho:

I pretty much play two characters evenly. If I played just Shiek, it might be better and same for Jiggs. But I don't want to drop one and it helps for variety and perhaps ASP's it seems.

North V South at this right?

ÖwnÄ

Smash Ace
North V South at this right?
Yes, please tell me this is happening! I was soooooo looking forward to it at EDmas (even though its not likely il be in the team:laugh: ) ! But please let it happen at this tourney. We defo gta get it recorded aswel.

GLOOOOORY GLORY SOUTHERN UK!!!!!!

:yoshi:

BloodBowler

Smash Ace
It'll be close, but everyone knows North Team is gonna win. What are the lineups + crew captains? Not asking for a final crew namelist, I just wanna know who's gonna be playing in this.

I'm pretty sure the GMC have video capture equipment, if not, I know STFU do as long as someone has a laptop with a LARGE amount of free space.

Kone

Smash Master
I don't think anyone will midn to much if i remain Team Captain of the North. South i guess Jam, i dont think anyone else down thre has his ability or experience. Plus, the history of north v south is between me and jam ^_^

Team North
-----------

Kone
MrP
Grayfox
Reacher
Zeppo
Big Man
The Doug (if he wants in)
Bloodbowler
AC Anon
Qwester

that'd be the lineup atm, unles ive missed someone.

BloodBowler

Smash Ace
Given the lineup and we're missing some of our top players, this will be hella close. About the Wii thing, it eliminates most lag. But you can still get some if you have like 4 ice climbers dash dancing or something.

SGT Stevie

Smash Journeyman
Rainhill - its small but everyone drinks.
Sup british dudes =)
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=95229

I'm looking forward to an English Invasion =)

If you guarantee to have Sven Goran Eriksson there so all English peopl can whack him with a stick its a definite yes from me!

Also if ulrika jonsson is there would be a real incentive. I know she's a bit past her prime and has been tainted by Sven's juices but I just remember her from Gladiators.

Ulrika Jonsson+jet from Gladiators+me= heaven for me!

Kone

Smash Master
Helios : ill sort out an english invasion!!! dont worry pal.

My north v south comments were just generally what team north would be. I myself wont be making this tourney guys :s

Kone

Smash Master
Uhm, i start school placements soon (teaher training) and on top of that i start work at weekend as a support worker with children with autism. I need the money and want the ob, cant take time of this early on. I apologise but nout i can do. There wont be any newcastle lads there, unless stevie (big man) decides tog et a coach down on his bill.

ed
x

SGT Stevie

Smash Journeyman
Rainhill - its small but everyone drinks.
I've booked my tickets. Wasn't looking promising with all the prices sky high. But found a cheaper way of getting the megabus to London then the train from there. Its all banter.

Any hows should be there Friday early afternoon til Sunday afternoon. See you all there!

Ed stinks!

Kone

Smash Master
ed drunk, ed loves smash lol. Wants to play but gets annoyed at his lack of effort with things he needs to be ceontrating on ;) .

Still expect Edster in easter ^_^

Khaine

Smash Journeyman
ed, dont sound so offended.

if you're dropping smash in favour of actual life, then fair play.

everyone has real **** to get to, and if yours is bigger and/or more important to you, then fair play.

-x-

The_Doug

Smash Ace
Stages and tweaks

Oh don't be silly Doug. Remember our teams matches at SCT4? (the ones we didn't get any money for v_v)

Mute City was running at a constant 30 fps, and that's just not acceptable.
Meh, unacceptable for some but just another part of the game to adapt to for me. Only inept players will have their game turned completely topsy-turvy from this bug.

Not like I'm on a mission to get Fountain of Dreams and Mute City unbanned, but occasionally I like to make statements which question the small and swift changes to the competitive game, and these statements will hopefully carry some weight because I've been around the tournament scene for ages. Two of Peach's best stages, particulary in teams, are all of a sudden banned from doubles tournaments entirely and without debate. Why I never questioned this before, I don't know.

One more comment on this. I tried to duplicate the lag on both stages on my gamecube but had zero success. Either my eyes are getting old or something is a bit fishy.

LordRust said:
Define Doug's Slightly Modified Advanced Slob Picks? (I so want a reason to have DSMASP in the rules list. As that has to be the most spastic abreviation I've ever heard that doesn involve rofl in any way xD)
The loser of the previous game in a set has an option to pick "random" as a stage. If he/she does this, neither player may change characters. DSR and stage banning still apply.

I like this tweak for three reasons: It gives a player who is focused only on one character a slightly better chance in the set. It allows for more strategy in counterpicks in larger sets. Most importantly the tweak makes sure the winner or loser of the previous game does not gain any foreseen advantage from his opponent's counterpicked stage.

And yeah DSMASP got a chuckle out of me too, lol. Doug's Tweaked Advanced Slob Picks, DTASP, hmm sounds a bit better!

SGT Stevie said:
Why is the word 'slobs' used? Isn't a slob a vile, repulsive excuse for a human being?
Honestly don't remember but there is some significance behind the usage of slob! I'll have to ask my old Norcal smash buddies.

BloodBowler

Smash Ace
Before we go into a full fledged debate on this, can we see the stage list first?

Will the tourney be on saturday or sunday?

If you're going to use stage banning, wouldn't it make more sense to declare a stage before the set begins?

So then you're not forced to fight on a stage you want banned?

Don't you all hate Peach and her downsmash?

And how it hits like 5 times?

And does so much damage?

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
As much as Doug's ruleset is pretty good,it is a slightly modified version of ASP which no British tournament has used thus far.It would make sense to use ASP first before using DSMASP(Sounds like dsmash GG).
Then again it really doesnt matter,go with DSMASH if you want Im not bothered.

Top Bottom