• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GMC Presents : TNJ! Febuary 10th/11th. Yeovil, Somerset. PROPER UPDATE FIRST PAGE!!1

Reacher

Smash Apprentice
Turns out me and SLVR are completely screwed, our flights have been changed so we now land back in England at 2pm on Sunday.

That 2 unlimited song is good times, I've got their album, play it in my car all the time, it's the stuff of legend.

Omadon

Internal Combustion Power
Right - turns out. I need names of people -before- the day. Soyeah, half for that and half because I wanna know how many people are coming. Can everybody thats going send me a PM with their real name, and weather or not their bringing cubes/TVs whatever. Were pretty okay for setups but any people can bring can only improve things. If you want to get one person to send me a PM with names of your entire crew, or for a group, then go nuts, I just need all the names before the day, otherwise I'm going to make up random ones :p

EDIT: **** you Reacher >.> Is there no way you can fix it? If not then fair play, it isn't exactly your fault. I wanted a rematch with Kirby :p

Reacher

Smash Apprentice
EDIT: **** you Reacher >.> Is there no way you can fix it? If not then fair play, it isn't exactly your fault. I wanted a rematch with Kirby :p
I doubt there's anything we can do about it, to be honest it's probably better that they've moved the flight times, the way it was planned before I would've turned up with no sleep, played terribly, gone straight out and then johned about it relentlessly. Also this means that Ed and whoever he's driving down can travel at a reasonable time instead of stupid o'clock in the morning.

Oh and I think it's me that should be wanting rematches lol, we'll have to get one at Edster or whatever tournament happens next.

BloodBowler

Smash Ace
In reply to the first post update, my vote goes on ASP. Also, if you're going to implement stage bannings, could we please have a list of stages that will be allowed? And any more details (Price, Times, Date's and so on) would be awesome.

BB

<3

EDIT: I don't know if it was deliberate or what but you misspelt theory twice in a row when explaining SP and ASP. It says Theroy xD

Kman25

Smash Ace
Yeah Im looking to go to this, And my brothers too, If they save up the cash

But What train station are we looking to get to, And how do you get there from the train station?

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
* Apex Standard Return
* £22.90

i found that for myself, leaving thursday possibly and going on sunday >_> either that or its £30 =) housing please

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
Who else wants ASP?I know I do.

EDIT:Your descriptions of slobs and advanced slobs are horribly biased.I suppose Im going to have to write out the advantages of Adv. Slobs at some point,so that people who dont really know about either wont go by that first post.

Darv

Smash Apprentice
Im with Zeppo.

Tbh i just wanna try ASP, i do like the idea of being able to change my character even if i win. Nice having a good selection of characters to pick from :)

<3

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
To be honest I have no idea why you wrote out shiz after the definitions of slobs and ASP,and why you didnt put up a poll instead of people having to PM you?

Oh,and I was wrong,it isnt horribly biased.But both seem to focus on the negatives of the choice,and there is a fair bit more negativity towards ASP.

Reacher

Smash Apprentice
I know I'm not even going to be there, but I reckon it should be ASP for this tournament and that should become the standard for the UK.

The problem with normal slob picks is that the entire set can be decided by the random stage you get for the first game. Say you have two players of equal skill, Player A picks Peach and Player B picks Fox, and then they get DL64 on random, it's pretty much done. Fox loses the first game, counterpicks Yoshis Story and wins, then the Peach picks Mute City and it's all over.

ASP just makes the games closer and more interesting. Player B wouldn't be so willing to pick Yoshis Story if he knew Player A also played a really good Marth, similarly Player A wouldn't be so willing to pick Mute City if he knew player B could also play Jiggs. They'd be forced to pick more even stages instead of really gay ones where a win is pretty much guaranteed.

Khaine

Smash Journeyman
@Kman. you're wanting to travel from london waterloo to most probably yeovil junction, as it is a frequent route with no change overs. however, try getting here saturday morning as opposed to friday night, as if you get to the train station after 7.50pm, the only way into town, ergo, pauls house, is a taxi, whichi'll be another £5-10, as opposed to the £1.40 for the bus.
EDIT: however, if you can manage to get to yeovil penn mill train station, then town is within walking distance.

@Helios: does this mean you're coming?

and on the subject of ASP, i'm actually slowly beginning to like the idea o.o

-x-

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
Phil just pwned TNJ without even attending

But yeah,it will become the standard UK ruleset,as it is the standard ruleset in America,Japan,and most of Europe.It only makes sense to keep things consistent and it has been agreed as the best ruleset for reasons I cant be bothered to explain.Helios had a huge argument about it in the JST5 thread a while ago so I would just be going over his words,though what Phil said is the basis of the argument,even if you disagree with Peach beating Fox on DL64.

monty06

Smash Ace
* Apex Standard Return
* £22.90

i found that for myself, leaving thursday possibly and going on sunday >_> either that or its £30 =) housing please
charles there is housing from any day that week so are fine 4 housing from thursday.

DevMBC

Smash Ace
Advanced Jam Picks:
-Don't know the difference between rulesets
-Ask opponents what the rules are
-Attack opponent's weakpoint for massive damage!!

ÖwnÄ

Smash Ace
Advanced Jam Picks:
-Don't know the difference between rulesets
-Ask opponents what the rules are
-Attack opponent's weakpoint for massive damage!!
Haha i agree on this ruleset coz its exactly what i do, except remove ''Jam'' and insert ''ÖwnÄ''!:laugh: I dont have a scooby doo what slobs and asp is.:( Even after reachers description!:( :(

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
how much is singles,doubles,crews,low tier or any of that going to cost?and cover charge for the venue?

Please put a pot for teams this time..

Oh,and no johns at your sig Charles.

Kone

Smash Master
Tourney rules your used to (normal slob picks)

First stage random - > loser switches char or picks stage -> if char is switched next stage is random

ASP (advanced slob picks):

First stage random -> loser chooses stage - > winner chooses character -> loser chooses character.

There you go owna. Basically ASP allows more variety and gives advantages to players that are more diverse in terms of stages and characters. Leads to more interesting sets.

also, to be picky with phil's example. If stage banning was on with normal slob picks then the opponant will have had the ability to ban mute city or dreamland.

ÖwnÄ

Smash Ace
Okey dokey, i get it now! :) Thanks Kone! ASP does sound a lil more intersting then, so i opt for that aswell.

:yoshi:

Twiggy_Ramirez

Smash Apprentice
for kman and **** we will be meeting everyone catching trains directly at the station;

i cannot stress how important it is to arrive at YEOVIL PENN MILL station... not the other one

if you just confirm what time you arrive then one of us (most likely me) will meet you; the venue and shop is approx a 10 minutes work so for the less athletic we will provide beef jerky for sustinance;

For those arriving by Bus you turn around and you are facing the venue aka SWEET!

there is a Subway (2 infact), Dominoes, Burger king and about 15 kebab places within a 5 minute stroll...

word.

SGT Stevie

Smash Journeyman
Rainhill - its small but everyone drinks.
Why has everyone been acting like ASP will change everything? Can anyone honestly say that the rankings in the last two tournaments would have changed if ASP would have been used?

I just don't understand why this a been made a big deal of!

Reacher

Smash Apprentice
Yeah you're right about that, ASP wouldn't have changed the rankings of the last tournaments much, if at all, although that's probably because only about 3 players in the UK actually have a second character that's anywhere near as good as their main.

Once more people start training up different characters ASP should make more difference, so we might as well make the change now and get it over with, instead of being the only country in the whole world that still uses normal slob picks.

Kone

Smash Master
I disagree to be honest phil.

ASP doesn't really make a difference to the UK scene. Yes, it does serve us well getting used to the way it works. However, a good whack of our community haven't been playing long enough nor are they even established with one character enough to really need ASP.

Take it from me, its takes the normal player ****ing ages to train up one character in smash. No need telling people they should be training two at the same time. It'll but their advancement in the game behind and just confuse them. Each character in smash handles alot differently, especially delving into mindgames and character matchups. Heck, I reckon my Sheik is just about ready. But even then im not sure. Doug only has two, same with Jam. Outside that . . . . . . exactly.

So yeah, lets use ASP, but enough of the unneeded ASP love. It ain't ganin to do much for us lot netime soon.

EDIT: whats your point about being the only country that uses slob picks?! how often do you go to tournaments abroad? you planning to anytime soon? do we have a constant invasion of foreigners to UK tournaments?!a constant stream of UK players abroad? is our community as established, as large or as competitive as other european scenes?!

No to all the above.

ed

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
I dont like getting into arguments about characters,stages,rules or anything like that.Most of it is just opinion and gets nowhere.So I'll say this,with no intent of a big discussion:
Slobs is good,Advanced Slobs is more varied.I dont hate Slob picks,I just think Advanced Slobs is better.If alot of the UK players dont play any more than one character,then ASP benefits the players that do and has the same function for the rest as Slobs.And if they think they're getting gayed by a certain character,then they can get around it in whatever way they wish.
Alot of players in the UK are starting to pick up secondaries anyway.

EDIT(was just looking at the 1st post):Just so you know,Stage banning is usually done before the set begins.But really Im not fussed.

Top Bottom