• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

Sonic24

Smash Apprentice
Wait, are you saying you cant cg ics? or are you saying you cant cg WITH ic? If its the 2nd thing then i just reccomend practicing until u get the feel for it. More than likely its just you but lots of things get harder on wifi.
i was saying i can cg with ic lol but ive gotten the hang of it... but i cant fthrow.. i can only do it 3 times and thats it both on wifi and offline

regal

Smash Rookie
I've been trying to practice with ice climbers and i can't quite get the CG right, i have about a 70% success rate when it comes to the forward and down throws, but i am completely lost on the backwards throw, i need a lot of help with this character. Please give me some pointers.

Sanzi

Smash Apprentice
Hey, i've always played ice climbers for fun, but i've recently decided to start playing them competitively. I read a lot and i went to watch some videos, but most seemed out dated and there were none in the hall of fame yet, so i'm not sure which ones are the best to watch.

First Question: Can someone give me some links to matches or tell me who u think the best IC players are?

Second Question: When an IC player gets a grab, why bother doing the fancy fthrow > footstool > iceblock > instant get up > grab and repeat, when u can just fthrow > fthrow > bthrow and repeat? Is it just to do something different or is there an actual point? Thanks

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Hey, i've always played ice climbers for fun, but i've recently decided to start playing them competitively. I read a lot and i went to watch some videos, but most seemed out dated and there were none in the hall of fame yet, so i'm not sure which ones are the best to watch.

First Question: Can someone give me some links to matches or tell me who u think the best IC players are?

Second Question: When an IC player gets a grab, why bother doing the fancy fthrow > footstool > iceblock > instant get up > grab and repeat, when u can just fthrow > fthrow > bthrow and repeat? Is it just to do something different or is there an actual point? Thanks
Lain is probably the best Brawl IC player, or definitely one of the best. Hylian is great as well, but his main is GaW.

Some regions (I think Texas) have a limit/ban on multiple grabs, so hobbling can often circumvent this. Otherwise, I'm not sure.

Sanzi

Smash Apprentice
Then why are there no vids of Lain in the video archive? Also Hylian's vids are from last summer. Any recent ones of hylian or lain from this year? And thanks for the explanation of the limit/bans in some areas.

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
1. Does hobble timing change between characters and damage %?
2. Does f-CG change with damage %?
3. Does timing vary on any chaingrabs between Nana and Popo?
.........3a. If so, which grabs (d,b,f) are easier to continue with which Ice Climber?
EDIT: What do you find is normally most responsible for a failed chaingrab? Understandably timing but going to early before Nana/Popo are ready for another grab? Spacing, control issues?

lain

Smash Master
Yes

Kinda?

Yes
-It's up to you to decide that. IMO bthrow is easiest on light characters, dthrow easiest on heavy characters.

BUT IT'S A MATTER OF OPINION PEOPLE. RAWRQERWDAERWRQWRW

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Lain is probably the best Brawl IC player, or definitely one of the best. Hylian is great as well, but his main is GaW.

Some regions (I think Texas) have a limit/ban on multiple grabs, so hobbling can often circumvent this. Otherwise, I'm not sure.
The way IC's are banned is the strangest thing to me. Sometimes the CG's are limited to something like 6 regrabs. Other times CG's are unlimited if they are not used past 300% or as a method of stalling (Genesis). I also hear that Ice block lock is banned in certain tournies because you cant DI out of it (i have seen ppl DI out of it before im sure of this lol). The hobbling thing seems like a combination of both aforementioned techs and it makes little sense to me why its not banned as well based on the reasoning used.

Snare

Smash Lord
just messin around with ic's and did a shnair ->ff and held foward to buffer a f-tilt and desynced (nana f-tilted popo just walked foward), i did it a few times but inconsistantly, so i don't know the timing. Anything on it?

lain

Smash Master
Sounds to me like you weren't grabbing.

I play with custom controls all buttons set to grab.

GOGGOGOGOGOGOGO

C~Dog

Smash Champion

GOGGOGOGOGOGOGO
Wait! i see a problem with your plan! If you were to set all buttons to grab, then the cstick would also be set to grabs, and as such, not set to smashes! And f this is the case (which as you have previously indicated is indeed the case!), then you would be unable to smash, and, therefore, you would be unable to input the neccessary commands that would enable you to execute the finishes that make chain grabs so delightful and entertaining for all (expect possibly the victim of afformentioned chaingrabs) concerned!

*gasp!*

Dev2000

Smash Lord
Sounds to me like you weren't grabbing.

GOGGOGOGOGOGOGO
your epic lain you really are

Did it ever occur to you guys that when youre charging an upsmash on some random toonlink at 100+ there will only be a spark i had that 4 times yesterday and it starts to piss me off

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
your epic lain you really are

Did it ever occur to you guys that when youre charging an upsmash on some random toonlink at 100+ there will only be a spark i had that 4 times yesterday and it starts to piss me off
Phantom hit.

It happens when your attack grazes the opponent.

It's only happened to me after I attack with an Up-Smash and my opponent forces a ground break.

Dev2000

Smash Lord
Phantom hit.

It happens when your attack grazes the opponent.

It's only happened to me after I attack with an Up-Smash and my opponent forces a ground break.
i forgot to mention its while i had him grabbed i knoe ehsy phantom hit is and stuff like that i just wanted to know if it ever occured to you people aswell while youre having someone grabbed and then fully charged upsmash and then phantom hit

Kage Me

Smash Ace
i forgot to mention its while i had him grabbed i knoe ehsy phantom hit is and stuff like that i just wanted to know if it ever occured to you people aswell while youre having someone grabbed and then fully charged upsmash and then phantom hit
Yeah, I've had five uncharged u-smashes that didn't kill at one time. Not common enough to really be a problem, though.

Dev2000

Smash Lord
its not about uncharged u-smash to kill its about fully charged usmash while grabbing someone and then it phantom hits just that little spark comes out and nothing happens it is really a ballbuster lmao
anyway i geuss i was just unlucky yesterday so lets wait for the next HAO DO I FTHROAW CHAIN!?!

Wolydarg

Smash Journeyman
Quick question about Nana mechanics:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8TH7OBqHLc
At 0:34, he demonstrates how Nana has a sort of float when Popo's over her while she's on the ledge. Does this only work when Nana's hanging on the ledge and Popo's directly over? I felt like I've done this before but it's always been on accident while doing a runoff fair or something but I can never reproduce it.

Also, can someone give me a ballpark estimate on ZSS vs IC? Thanks.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
I've tilted the control stick down lightly while on the top platform of Battlefield and spammed ice blocks from different heights, if you aren't asking specifically about ledge mechanics. Like Nana did the floating thing and Popo stayed on the platform.

Dev2000

Smash Lord
Quick question about Nana mechanics:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8TH7OBqHLc
At 0:34, he demonstrates how Nana has a sort of float when Popo's over her while she's on the ledge. Does this only work when Nana's hanging on the ledge and Popo's directly over? I felt like I've done this before but it's always been on accident while doing a runoff fair or something but I can never reproduce it.

Also, can someone give me a ballpark estimate on ZSS vs IC? Thanks.
Yes it is only possible that way i think you can do it out of a belay ledge grab if you hop on the ledge directly nana will keep hanging on there and you can do that untill today i still havent made 1 kill with it but it is very useful to gimp
i dont play Zss too much so i cant give you a ballpark on that

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Hmm...just need to check something. How do you guys deal with campy characters like Samus and ROB?

l!nk_aut

Smash Journeyman
try to stay as close as possible to campy characters.
even if you get hit by some projectiles its worth it. when you´re always close to them they WILL make a mistake... and there´s your grab.

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
I pretty much get destroyed if I try to grab ROB.

When I deal with a campy opponent, I make sure to watch their character and map out where they like to place/throw things. I usually can see what projectile they're going to throw at me so I advance with powershields to try and close the gap.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
I hate campers with ICs (unless my distance game is better than said character). I try to close my distance with powershields and other stuff. I barely focus on grabs unless they mess up badly, especially against ROB.

lain

Smash Master
Wait! i see a problem with your plan! If you were to set all buttons to grab, then the cstick would also be set to grabs, and as such, not set to smashes! And f this is the case (which as you have previously indicated is indeed the case!), then you would be unable to smash, and, therefore, you would be unable to input the neccessary commands that would enable you to execute the finishes that make chain grabs so delightful and entertaining for all (expect possibly the victim of afformentioned chaingrabs) concerned!

*gasp!*
Problem? I cg people to ~180% where they die from dthrow. Who needs smashes?

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Hmm...just need to check something. How do you guys deal with campy characters like Samus and ROB?
I've only played one really good Samus ever, so take this with a grain of salt, but here's what I found to work really well:

I like approaching Samus from above. It's kind of silly, but it's the method of getting around zair that I've had the most success with. Full-jump ice blocks also seem okay for creating openings. I don't know how easy it is just bum rush her and try to get a grab once you are sort of close to her since I would always use blizzard whenever I wasn't in point blank range and that seemed to work fine, lol.

It seems like a pretty simple match-up; just try really hard not to get hit by the zair and you'll probably do fine.

I suck against ROB, so I can't really say anything about him.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Problem? I cg people to ~180% where they die from dthrow. Who needs smashes?
Oh no, the problem wasnt that you couldnt kill them. Its just that charged smash kills/spikes are so much more satisfying than throw kills lol =P

Dev2000

Smash Lord
Just a liiiittle question
Has anyone found a Bthrow spike yet? cause i just found one and wanna know if im the lucky finder before i make a thread about it

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Run in a direction, press B and QUICKLY and LIGHTLY tap the other direction. Like almost instantly after you press B

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Just a liiiittle question
Has anyone found a Bthrow spike yet? cause i just found one and wanna know if im the lucky finder before i make a thread about it
If what you are talking about is B-throw to sweetspotted Fair, then yes I found it about two months ago.

Top Bottom