• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

Lukeozade.

Smash Rookie
Which chaingrab is most effective? By that I mean which is generally easy and useful against most characters?

Also, what is the variation in timing grabs between heavy characters and light characters? Not an exact amount, just an average.

Dev2000

Smash Lord
Which chaingrab is most effective? By that I mean which is generally easy and useful against most characters?

Also, what is the variation in timing grabs between heavy characters and light characters? Not an exact amount, just an average.
There isnt an "most effective" one in my opinion you just have to know wich one to use on the right time Dont worry you'll learn

The timing is different because the throwing animation is longer on heavy characters (wich actually gives you a bit more time) the average between Extremly heavy (bowser) and feather weight (jigglypuff) is about 0.5 seconds but i dont know for sure

Wait for someone else to respond to maybe get the EXACT time

Lukeozade.

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the responses, I will keep practicing ICs!
One more thing, what good true combos can I use? Is there a thread about them?

1nconspikuous

Smash Apprentice
i've got two quick questions.

1. when i do the P-bthrow> N-regrab, i smash back and press z. i get it ~60% of the time, but sometimes N rolls or something/doesn't regrab. what am i doing wrong?

(i'm thinking either i'm holding z down too long accidentally when i'm trying to regrab or there's a better way to do the regrab than smashing back and pressing z)

2. does the dthrow regrab have a different timing as the percentages go up? cuz i find that after ~60% the P-bthrow > N-dthrow is a lot harder to do.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord

1. when i do the P-bthrow> N-regrab, i smash back and press z. i get it ~60% of the time, but sometimes N rolls or something/doesn't regrab. what am i doing wrong?

(i'm thinking either i'm holding z down too long accidentally when i'm trying to regrab or there's a better way to do the regrab than smashing back and pressing z)

2. does the dthrow regrab have a different timing as the percentages go up? cuz i find that after ~60% the P-bthrow > N-dthrow is a lot harder to do.
1. You are pressing the control stick and the Z button too closely together. This usually becomes more of a problem with the really light characters since the grabs become a lot faster.
2. As someone gains more damage, they become lighter. Therefore, the grab speed does speed up proportional to the person's weight. (Basically, don't take word for word but just imagine it this way only as an example, if you got a heavyweight to have enough damage to be as light as Jigglypuff when hit, the chain grabbing speed would be about that fast.)

Kage Me

Smash Ace
On a side note, stale moves also affect the ease at which you can chaingrab. Dd-throw becomes a lot easier when it's continued for a long time.

Binx

Smash Master
Can a good Ice Climber actually win tournaments in brawl? I mostly use MK right now cause hes more like a melee character, but the prospect of infinite grabbing people at my school might be too hard for me to pass up haha.

Also could I just ask what the most tournament viable desynchs are right now? and some general advice on what moves I should use when approaching, and which moves I should use defensively.

Dev2000

Smash Lord
Can a good Ice Climber actually win tournaments in brawl? I mostly use MK right now cause hes more like a melee character, but the prospect of infinite grabbing people at my school might be too hard for me to pass up haha.

Also could I just ask what the most tournament viable desynchs are right now? and some general advice on what moves I should use when approaching, and which moves I should use defensively.
Yes they can.

Uhm.. im not a proffesional on desynchs and playstyles but desynched blizzards seem to work pretty well

Kage Me

Smash Ace
I find that the easiest and quickest way to desynch is to press Grab and Back at the same time. Nana will grab, Popo will roll backwards.

Other than that, I also use the Belay desynch after recovering, and the landing desynch with Blizzard.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Im already in a habit of using the stutter step desync the most >_> Its not the best option, what with the staling at all, but it gets the job done.

D

Deleted member

I just dash dance and neutral b. Works fine.

Doing Sh blizzard with popo and charge fsmash with nana while desynched is amazing :D

Binx

Smash Master
I havn't learned all the desynchs but I found the dash dance desynch the most time vs tech skill required effective for me, I'm sure there are faster less situational desynchs that I should be learning but from a preliminary test thats the one that worked best for me. The grab/roll one is pretty worthless in real matches IMO because I'm giving up a lot of space for no reason. I think I need to learn to pivot into blizzards.

Lukeozade.

Smash Rookie
The pivot walk de-synch is useful. It's pretty much un-punishable at a distance. One little thing I used recently (not often, only if I'm winning by a long run and want to mess around) is to de-synch, then break Popo's shield, then let go before Nana's breaks. If someone runs in to rush me, an F-Smash with Nana can catch them offguard. It's pretty funny to use.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580

[Late Comment]
1. Use Marth. Most of the time people roll out of the b-throw grab on lightweights.
Oh and sometimes when you do grab backwards (hold/tap Z then control stick backwards depending on which you're facing; ex. the ICs face at the right and you hold Z, then you tilt the control stick left, causing you to roll at the left), you end up rolling, so be very careful about that.
- The way I b-throw characters is holding the control stick slightly left or right depending on which I'm facing, then tap the Z button on light and middle weights. For heavyweights, you must hold the control stick harder and longer then tap Z to execute it.

2. Yes it does, so grab a little bit early when they start dealing more damage.

The way I desynch is either dashdance, Squall, or stutter f-smash. :3

Smoom77

Smash Master
I really don't know anything about desyncs but the thingy when you roll and c-stick -insert direction that I'm not sure which to use-. Where do I learn what squall or stutter f-smash desyncs are?

aznboi4sa1e

Smash Rookie
i dont understand how to control nana then popo

like most guides just say- grab with popo, throw, grab with nana, repeat-

so... how do i switch grabs? or control them?

in my experimentation.. i think its automatic? like whoever isn't busy gets controlled

even if i'm right i still don't understand how it works b/c i can't chain f-throw/bthrow
the enemy just gets thrown and bounce while i studder :dizzy:

Nikwadtkhil

Smash Cadet
What are the chances that the Ice Climbers Chaingrabs /including footstool etc will be banned at almost every torny event. And if so how would one go about arguing against said banning.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Alright I've pretty much gotten desyncing and fighting with the ice climbers in general down.

If there was one chaingrab to learn, would it be bthrow > dthrow (bthrow > fthrow on platforms)?

Or should I be learning a few chaingrabs for different weight classes?

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Hurry up Kawaii Bunny. =D
I have to wait on the others to do their sections too, lol <.<

I'm basically done with mine xD

Alright I've pretty much gotten desyncing and fighting with the ice climbers in general down.

If there was one chaingrab to learn, would it be bthrow > dthrow (bthrow > fthrow on platforms)?

I do BThrow to FThrow on almost everyone. I'm just more comfortable with the timing. I'd say learn both, then use the one that you're more comfortable with more.

Characters like Snake and R.O.B need to be BThrow hobbled though.

Dev2000

Smash Lord

You should learn the ones that are most needed like Dthrow Fair for spiking them
Ice block lock well.. for when you just want to irritate the **** out of people or do damage.. maybe both
uhm bthrow hobbling for Rob snake maybe ike

Bthrow Fthrow FOR major damage!
Fthrow hobbling (wich works on every character) To do more damage and its easier to do online aswell so if theres lag and you cant use alt grabs use hobbling (saved me a couple of times)

that are the ones i use

Thibault

Smash Apprentice
Is their a way to imput nanas throw when your away (but not all the way across the screen) from her?
I will try to explane it better:
You get attacked and you shield grab, but you mess up somehow and nana grabs while you get knocked away. As you run back toward her you input a direction and she throws up (lol) ruining your chance to really piss your opponent off by chaingrabbing them O_o Even when im running toward her she will not normally use the direction shes pressing. Is their a way to control her imput?

Lukeozade.

Smash Rookie
Hmm, when Nana gets seperated from me she either does a few D-throws, or just attacks during a grab then B-throws when I return. I think you just have to do certain things so that the CPU's start to do it. Then Nana would copy you, although it could probably only learn one thing to do at that moment. I haven't really looked into it too much.

Thibault

Smash Apprentice
(Btweven though i thought it might be commen knowlage im mentioning this because i have not seen this applied in any video or listed on the iceclimbers board)
You guys know how Sk92 will often mix things up and make falcos chaingrab flashy by pivit grabbing, well there are simular techniques that the iceclimbers can do, one being fthrow to pivit grab, another one would be dthrow to pivit grab. Tones of great things can come from doing this: mindgames, 4 the lulz, but the two aspects i like the most are the new possibilitys for chaingrabs and the position your put in. (think of all the chaingrabs that have already been developed, now add a pivit grab which positons you oppisite the oppisite area of a normal alternate grab O_O)
You guys might be able to time it better to get better results but this is what i got: the only diffrence i see is ones harder but gives you move damage (fthrow) while the other one is easy (dthrow) both put you with the characters but right in popos face with nana faceing him. Now to my questions :) Did you guys already know about this? what are its applications? And could this help out with the three grab minimum (if it was enforced) because when they are released its directly in front of you :)

Thibault

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, when Nana gets seperated from me she either does a few D-throws, or just attacks during a grab then B-throws when I return. I think you just have to do certain things so that the CPU's start to do it. Then Nana would copy you, although it could probably only learn one thing to do at that moment. I haven't really looked into it too much.
this is what confuses me the most :
if im right next to her when she grabs and i press right she will fthrow (duh lol)
if i am a little off and i press right she will fthrow (double duh :/)
but if i get knocked away while she grabs and i run to her while holding right it dosent use fthrow even if im right in line with her after running. Y?

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
When you are speed grabbing back throw to down throw, how do you make Nana powershield after the down throw regrab so that she is back in sync with you so you can continue Cging? I was told that to make this happen required you tilting the control stick WHILE grabbing with Popo during the down throw regrab but this doesn't seem to be working for me. If you have no clue what I'm talking about, the powershield I'm looking for is in this video at :27. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnvgDmoAMjQ&feature=related

Top Bottom