• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Here's her artwork from the website; I can't get the larger version, but I'm sure it will be available soon enough.

ZelDan

Smash Master
She looks really good. Too bad I don't have XC2.

Oh well, I'm sure I'll be able to play as her IN A CERTAIN OTHER GAME *COUGH* *COUGH*

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’d be able to get the expansion pass if I get a switch and XB2 at a later date right? I still don’t have a switch ;-;

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I’d be able to get the expansion pass if I get a switch and XB2 at a later date right? I still don’t have a switch ;-;
I think you could also just buy the physical copy of Torna - The Golden Country? I feel like that might have the other Expansion Pass DLC as well.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately on another forum site I frequent people are already saying Elma's chances are dead since (admittedly) a Smash reveal would've made sense alongside this one.

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
That art and her new model are so goooood. Only thing I would personally change is to keep her eyes a little sharper; part of what worked about her X artwork/model was how firm and resolved her expression normally was. But that's a nitpick, and I would be perfectly pleased if her Smash design reflected this one.

I've had a Switch since launch, but I chose to skip XB2 because it simply didn't look like my kinda game. I disliked the character designs and the battle system looked bloated in a way I wasn't going to have fun working through. I'm liking the look of Torna a bit better though, so I'm considering giving it a try as a standalone experience. Anyone else considering this?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ehh, she's not dead, though it would have made sense to announce it now.
What if they’ll announce a surprise Smash stream shortly after Gamescom/during PAX to look out for, a la :ultrobin and :ultlucina: four years ago?

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Unfortunately on another forum site I frequent people are already saying Elma's chances are dead since (admittedly) a Smash reveal would've made sense alongside this one.
There's still a chance they'll announce a port of XenoX for Switch with her Smash reveal

Calamitas

Smash Champion
People really are way too quick to jump to conclusions. Are they already forgetting that it has been just a bit over two weeks since we got huge blowout of five newcomers?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What if she’s announced during a general Nintendo direct in September discussing online and Torna as well? If not a surprise stream, I can see this being another likely option.

Royaru

Smash Cadet
Elma's chance are not dead lol
Do you remember Rosalina and Luma? She was confirmed in Super Mario 3d world, and after many time, they confirmed she for Smash4.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
So i tried Elmas challenge and i got my *** kicked when she summoned the clones. Little advise: don't waste your time on the clones. She will summon even more after a certain amount of time.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
GameFAQs, I assume? As soon as Sakurai stated that he referred to the ballot for newcomers in such a direct manner, it really felt like he was intending for all of the spots to go to those types of characters and Elma was going to have a hard time finding a way in. Obviously, this doesn't mean every character will be ballot-related, but rather that we just don't have any evidence pointing to the contrary. Maybe a Pokemon would sneak through if TPC really demanded for it, but I just wonder how many unique newcomers are left, honestly? 4? 5? Maybe 6 if we're lucky?

Her chances are certainly not shot, but I'm not flat out expecting her just because we don't have any evidence pointing to her yet and the clock is ticking.

Last edited:

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
People put too much stock on this hypothetical double reveal. Weren't Ashley's supporters banking on a Smash reveal around Warioware Gold's release? They got one, but not the one they wanted.

How many of Smash's characters were actually revealed under those circumstances? Look at the characters revealed for Ultimate. You could argue the Inklings revealed alongside the Octo Expansion, but that's it.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
There’s been very few actual “coincide” reveals. One being Shulk when Xenoblade 3D was announced (initially in a Japan only Direct), another being Corrin to promote Fates and that was intentional.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Elma looks so awesome, I really want to see her in Smash! But don't worry, it isn't all gloom and doom as not every character needs a double reveal.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I just want to point out that Shulk and Fiora didn't get a separated trailer, while Elma did. They are giving her the spotlight!

And yeah, remember that Rosalina was revealed for Smash after her reveal for Mario 3D World. It doesn't mean anything, rather it increases her chances since this proves she is the face of X!

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
I just want to point out that Shulk and Fiora didn't get a separated trailer, while Elma did. They are giving her the spotlight!
That's special treatment for Elma! I hope it lead us to something bigger like an X port, X sequel or a smash reveal!

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Also, can somebody understand if she is still voiced by Caitlin or not? I can't really tell...

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So, I managed to beat the challenge that has you fight Elma - which, as I might add, is probably pretty difficult, since it took me quite a while to beat her, even with the difficulty lowered as much as possible - and I apparently need to get another Alrest Linkring (or whatever it was called) to have her leave the challenge mode.
The cutscene after the battle sadly isn't voiced, but it still featured a personal highlight for me, of her dragging Tora, by saying that she likes the Tora from X more. In terms of an in-story explanation as to why she's in 2, the Nopon archsage apparently sold her on some sort of training simulation, which transported her spirit to the challenge mode/Alrest. Additionally, while she's there, time flows much slower than it does on Mira, so that she's not missing anything in NLA.

Also, can somebody understand if she is still voiced by Caitlin or not? I can't really tell...
It's most likely still Caitlin. If they did replace her, then they got someone who sounds a LOT like her.

Last edited:

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300

And yeah, remember that Rosalina was revealed for Smash after her reveal for Mario 3D World. It doesn't mean anything, rather it increases her chances since this proves she is the face of X!
Along with that, it gives her new relevancy so that people outside of us see Elma either for the first time or it reintroduces her to an audience that might not have played X, but started with 2!

Again, people shouldn't count Elma out yet. Some people really thought that she would be revealed for Smash now? I mean come on. We just had a Smash direct, there's no way we're getting another until October at the earliest. They have less characters to reveal this time as well, so Sakurai isn't going to blow them all out so quickly. I'm expecting a September direct that focuses on Switch online with titles like Super Mario Party, Pokémon, Torna: The Golden Country and a port of X. They can give us some details on Smash with an Elma reveal as the "one more thing" in the direct. Just my idea!

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Gawd, either she better be playable in Smash or there better a port/sequel to X soon (or all three lol). Because I did not enjoy XC2. The narrative, fanservice, gacha system, and field skills barriers made me want to slap someone. So as you can assume, I'm not getting this expansion. Elma doesn't make playing through the game again worth it.

Last edited:

Royaru

Smash Cadet
People are talk too much about the Ballot, if I am right, Sakurai only mentioned it with Snake, K.Rool, Chrom and Dark Samus but he didnt with Inklings, Simon Belmont, Ritcher and even Ridley. In other words, Sakurai is using the ballot but also he is selecting characters as he always do.
We are not giving up for her, she is our colonel!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So, I managed to beat the challenge that has you fight Elma - which, as I might add, is probably pretty difficult, since it took me quite a while to beat her, even with the difficulty lowered as much as possible - and I apparently need to get another Alrest Linkring (or whatever it was called) to have her leave the challenge mode.
The cutscene after the battle sadly isn't voiced, but it still featured a personal highlight for me, of her dragging Tora, by saying that she likes the Tora from X more. In terms of an in-story explanation as to why she's in 2, the Nopon archsage apparently sold her on some sort of training simulation, which transported her spirit to the challenge mode/Alrest. Additionally, while she's there, time flows much slower than it does on Mira, so that she's not missing anything in NLA.

It's most likely still Caitlin. If they did replace her, then they got someone who sounds a LOT like her.
Wouldn’t it be “time flows much faster”, ergo, time in Mira flows slower than it does in the XB2 world? Cause the way you’re wording it makes it seems like time would in fact flow faster in Mira and she would miss some things lol

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
It's all fine and dandy, but someone of equal importance was revealed. SWIMSUITS BAY BAY~
May I present Tora's swimsuit!

Alpswat

Smash Cadet
Her artwork is AMAZING. I'm very amazed of the trailer, not just for her, but they showed that they also remember Xenoblade X and it's not in the dust, it's the most important thing i've learned from this trailer. I'm so hyped, and there's even more people asking for her. The trailer is just amazing. I'M SO HYPED

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Also, can confirm: When you activate Elma's Overdrive mechanic, "Wir Fliegen" plays. God, this is great. . .

Gawd, either she better be playable in Smash or there better a port/sequel to X soon (or all three lol). Because I did not enjoy XC2. The narrative, fanservice, gacha system, and field skills barriers made me want to slap someone. So as you can assume, I'm not getting this expansion. Elma doesn't make playing through the game again worth it.
Preach it. 2 is easily my least favourite entry in the series, and Rex and Pyra as protagonists don't really help the matter.

Wouldn’t it be “time flows much faster”, ergo, time in Mira flows slower than it does in the XB2 world? Cause the way you’re wording it makes it seems like time would in fact flow faster in Mira and she would miss some things lol
Hm? What I meant is that time on Mira flows more slowly. Sorry if I worded that badly.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
Something on Gamefaqs someone said that I found interesting:
As for likelihood, I seriously doubt that Sakurai was choosing EXCLUSIVELY with the Ballot, and X was extremely relevant right when Sakurai was picking characters. Combined with Elma’s thus far unique moveset potential and I think she has a pretty good chance. The only thing really going against her is lack of popularity in the Ballot, but given that she didn’t exist worldwide when the Ballot was released, I don’t think Sakurai would let her not doing well on the Ballot stop her.
The last part I bolded because it's very true. At this point if Elma doesn't get in, we can only confirm that it was because Sakurai didn't feel like adding another Xenoblade rep instead of her exclusion being influenced by the ballot.

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
People are talk too much about the Ballot, if I am right, Sakurai only mentioned it with Snake, K.Rool, Chrom and Dark Samus but he didnt with Inklings, Simon Belmont, Ritcher and even Ridley. In other words, Sakurai is using the ballot but also he is selecting characters as he always do.
We are not giving up for her, she is our colonel!
he didn't bring up the ballot until he brought K.Rool to the subject, don't worry about Dark Samus and Chrom.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Alright, so in order to take Elma to Alrest, you simply need to beat the challenge that you used to unlock her in the first place a second time. Technically it's a different one, since the original challenge is a one-time thing, which is replaced with a near-identical (but harder) challenge once you beat it.

Also, Overdrive functions pretty much the same as it does in X - you can even activate it multiple times per battle, while it is already active, and it seems like the counter goes up all the way to 999.

Now that that's out of the way, excuse me while I check for special post-battle dialogue with Elma. . .

Top Bottom