• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
L Loz18-Echo Wait it’s Minonth... DAMMIT (at least he is sorta new, but not meant for 1.5.2)... never mind that, I have to look into it since there is apparently a silhouette for the new blade (but not for Elma).

But anyways, if we go tomorrow and we don’t get Elma revealed for XB2, I swear they might be saving her for Smash and we even have a timeframe for until September. The chances of her getting in are starting to seem very likely. (Or we might be getting a Smash reveal for her tomorrow but it doesn’t seem that likely for Gamescom).

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Didn’t ARMS get a reveal last Gamescom?

Granted it was ARMS and not Smash, but it’s not impossible
Lola Pop was announced at Gamescom. She was teased with blurry images on Twitter before, but at Gamescom we have seen her full reveal. They also announced a couple of new maps and weapons for Splatoon 2.

So, was there something from Xenoblade that got showed off at Gamescom?

I swear Gamescom is such a mess to follow and understand.
Yeah, unless you speak German you can't follow the lives, and the various Nintendo of Europe divisions post two English gameplay video each day, one at 4 pm CEST and the other at 5 pm CEST.

It's not really as easy as the Treehouse, that's for sure. And that's for the Nintendo stuff, I've not understood what's going on for Playstation or Xbox...

But anyway after seeing that Daemon X Machina gameplay...
Who else is going to create an Elma inspired avatar? I know that if there is the option of multiple savefiles the second one will be based on her

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Question for all who do you think the last fighters are?
I actually don't have too much in the way of oppinions on this, but considering that Ridley and K. Rool made it in, I feel pretty certain that Isaac is going to make it in, as well as Shadow as an Echo Fighter of Sonic.
If we're talking about wanting characters, I'll just have to say (and I apologize to anyone here who wants them) that I really don't want Rex and Pyra/Mythra, in any configuration. If anything, I'd like Lora (and maybe Jin) as DLC fighters to represent XBC2, especially since she's apparently the protagonist of Torna: The Golden Country, and seemingly has a rather unique fighting style.

Elma has one of the interesting cases when it comes to newcomers for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. I do not believe I've ever seen anything quite like Elma's case in Smash's history before. Elma has a lot going for her but at the same time, there are some things Elma may have also been in the same boat as Corrin. Not only did both Fire Emblem: Fates and Xenoblade Chronicles X release at the same time in Japan, but also at similar times in America too. I bring this up because Sakurai said that they specifically were looking for games that had just released or were about to be released when they were deciding what character to develop next. Sakurai said he was already worried about Fire Emblem overrepresentation in Smash but decided that Corrin was fun enough for that not to matter. If Sakurai was inherently worried about this, why would he go for a Fire Emblem character anyway? Was Elma not fun enough? Could he not envision Elma's moveset? Did he just not like her? There's not really a way for any of us to know.
Responding to this in particular, I can actually think of several reasons as to why Corrin was chosen over Elma when it came to Smash 4 DLC. The character was probably already decided around summer of 2015. Remember, back then, it was already pretty obvious that the Wii U wasn't exactly doing too well, which means that a big JRPG like XBCX wasn't probably expected to do too well, either. And then there's of course the fact that Xenoblade in general was still in an upward trend in terms of popularity, whereas Fire Emblem. . . well, Awakening was already a big success, and there had been a big marketing push behind Fates. And considering what Sakurai had mentioned in his interview, I think the choice was all but made for him.

At least this is how I see the situation.

Dang it! Today's update is just...MORE NOPONS! Which means no update this week. Hopefully we get her next week. Monolith Soft is cutting it close when Torna ~ The Golden Country is coming out in a few weeks. T_T
What update do you mean? And on what do you base this?

How long does Gamescom go for each day, up to which hour (EST)?
Gamescom is open from 10 AM (9 AM on Friday and Saturday) to 8 PM in Germany's timezone. Most of the interesting stuff at Nintendo's booth usually takes place between 12 AM and about 6/ PM, though.

Lola Pop was anniunced at Gamescom. She was teased with blurry images on Twitter before, but ag Gamescom we have seen her full reveal. They akso announced a vouple of new maps and weapons for Splatoon 2.
I think you need to view these things in a proper context, though. In my memory, Gamescom has never really been a place where Nintendo made any big, "heavy-hitting" announcements, and nothing for Smash 4 was ever announced there. They only really re-used the E3 builds for the demo there, too. And in comparison to a Smash newcomer, I feel like a new playable ARMS character and new weapons/stages for Splatoon just don't really compare.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be wrong about this and see them reveal Elma tomorrow, but I think it's best to temper our expectations. The way I see it, we're probably only see a reveal of
Elma as a Blade in 2
and even that doesn't seem guaranteed as of right now.

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
that Dante leak...
i wonder if they'll sharing his stylish gimmick with Elma, switch Guns to Blades an all...

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
I wasn't talking about releasing it today, I was talking about them announcing the 1.5.2 content today. The patch might as well come out next week, but I could see them announcing Elma and the other Rarr Blade at Gamescom.
Okay, I understand what you're saying now. Hoping for an announcement tomorrow at least.

The 1.5.2 update contains 2 new Blades for Xenoblade Chronicles 2.
Kamuya and Elma

I'm basing this on the Xenoblade JP Twitter account's posting history. We can still get an announcement tomorrow, but it will not be released on the same day based on the timing of previous tweets.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
that Dante leak...
i wonder if they'll sharing his stylish gimmick with Elma, switch Guns to Blades an all...
I've never played DMC, but I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to differentiate between the two characters in terms of playstyle. For starters, Dante can't use Elma's various Battle Arts like Ghost Factory, Sliding Slinger, and Shadowstrike. He also can't use Overdrive, or have Tension for an in-game mechanic/gimmick, which would both serve to really distinguish Elma as both a fighter and a representative of XCX.

Royaru

Smash Cadet
I want to love Elma tomorrow in Smash but... I dunno, I is a short time between Smash Direct and Gamescom. Also in Smash4 times, we only had a newcomer per moth. Robin was revealed in july, and Shulk in august for example.
Dont misunderstand me, If tomorrow we have Elma, I will be the first one in shout and jump of pure happiness.

By the way, today I have been thinking in what Sakurai is giving new for every series
Mario : New Echo, New stage, New object
DK : A new AT and Newcomer
Zelda: Many changes in three main characters, new AT
Kirby : New AT and object
Earthbound/Mother : A new object
KI : New object
FE : New Echo and object
AC : New AT
Star Fox : New AT
Metroid : Newcomer and Echo
Pikmin : New AT
Sonic : New AT
Bayonetta : New AT
Megaman : New AT
Pokemon : MANY new Pokemon

So, the series that it hasn't nothing new are : Ice Climbers, Yoshi, Punch-Out!,ROB, Game&Watch, F-Zero, Wario, Pacman, Street Fighter,Final Fantasy, Duck Hunt, Wii and Xenoblade.

Ice Climbers, ROB, Game&Watch and Duck Hunt can be reject because they are so obscure. Wii Fit is not important now and could be like the first ones, and well F-Zero is dead, but maybe it has an Echo. Oh, I forget Punch-Out but...an AT (King Hippo?).

On the other hand, Pacman and SF are likely to have an Echo (Ms Pacman and Ken/Akuma respectively) also they are thirds party, so I think they could have a new AT (Chun Lee?) like Megaman or Castlevania.
Final Fantasy it's a strange because it only have two song currently... Maybe problems between Nintendo and SE?

So, we have Wario, Yoshi and Xenoblade, all with title in recent years...If we think that no more stages, what will it be?
Wario easly could has an AT from Land series instead of Ware, Yoshi dunno... An Echo? And we have Xenoblade... I REALLY dont think that we wont have nothing new from Xenoblade in Ultimate, and dunno an AT or somenthing like that sound... So sad lol.

So, without a doubt, we will have something new from Xenoblade and it's likely that it will be a newcomer.

Arsh99

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arsh99
So, without a doubt, we will have something new from Xenoblade and it's likely that it will be a newcomer.
For a smaller, but relevant series like Xeonblade it makes a lot of sense they'd want to keep whatever new content they have for it for a character reveal trailer to hype them up with more content. It really is peculiar we haven't seen anything since we did get 2 very big games from Xeno since the release of Smash 4.

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
Pls stop people your getting me to hyped thinking about this. Like serious i had a dream of Elma trailer again i really need her to be in this game :(

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
The lack of any new Xenoblade content definitely raises a flag. Between 3 games, there's plenty of materials to draw from. One of the XCX party members, such as Lin could be an assist trophy. I mean...she could attempt to cook Tatsu on the stage. He'd be running around on the stage, trying to use the fighters as a shield while Lin throws knives and stuff like that.

Telethia, the Endbringer or Pharsis, the Everqueen should appear as a boss.

I think the Skell could be either an item or assist trophy. The core crystals from XC2 should function in a similar way to Pokeballs or assist trophies...but it might be too late to include them.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii was a sucess. That's why we got Shulk
Every entry of the series sells more than the previous one.
Xenoblade Chronicles X was critically aclaim, except for the simple plot (Idk why people said that, I think the story/plot is fantastic, and some of the sidequest/secondary characters are so emocionally deep, but whatever)
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a master piece, even Sakurai loved it.

We're gonna get new Xenoblade content. I think the only question is what we gonna get (though, Rex and Pyra for DLC is pretty obvious)

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
The lack of any new Xenoblade content definitely raises a flag. Between 3 games, there's plenty of materials to draw from. One of the XCX party members, such as Lin could be an assist trophy. I mean...she could attempt to cook Tatsu on the stage. He'd be running around on the stage, trying to use the fighters as a shield while Lin throws knives and stuff like that.

Telethia, the Endbringer or Pharsis, the Everqueen should appear as a boss.

I think the Skell could be either an item or assist trophy. The core crystals from XC2 should function in a similar way to Pokeballs or assist trophies...but it might be too late to include them.
Yup, no content shown so far for a game that SHOULD have content suggests a character reveal.

Castlevania got two characters, a stage, assist trophy, boss, music, etc. in one reveal.

I expect something similar for Elma. :)

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
An XBX stage with as many fightable enemies as Drac's Castle would be perfect. X has some of my favorite enemy designs in any game and they're easily one of the most memorable parts.

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice
I would like to join the support list. I have beaten Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Sadly my Wii U broke so I was only able to play a few chapters of X. So I'm waiting for the Switch port of X to play through the story and Elma is a character I have always included on my rosters due to Xenoblade being the next break out series for Nintendo and Rex feels more like a DLC character at this point.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I actually don't have too much in the way of oppinions on this, but considering that Ridley and K. Rool made it in, I feel pretty certain that Isaac is going to make it in, as well as Shadow as an Echo Fighter of Sonic.
If we're talking about wanting characters, I'll just have to say (and I apologize to anyone here who wants them) that I really don't want Rex and Pyra/Mythra, in any configuration. If anything, I'd like Lora (and maybe Jin) as DLC fighters to represent XBC2, especially since she's apparently the protagonist of Torna: The Golden Country, and seemingly has a rather unique fighting style.

Responding to this in particular, I can actually think of several reasons as to why Corrin was chosen over Elma when it came to Smash 4 DLC. The character was probably already decided around summer of 2015. Remember, back then, it was already pretty obvious that the Wii U wasn't exactly doing too well, which means that a big JRPG like XBCX wasn't probably expected to do too well, either. And then there's of course the fact that Xenoblade in general was still in an upward trend in terms of popularity, whereas Fire Emblem. . . well, Awakening was already a big success, and there had been a big marketing push behind Fates. And considering what Sakurai had mentioned in his interview, I think the choice was all but made for him.

At least this is how I see the situation.

Gamescom is open from 10 AM (9 AM on Friday and Saturday) to 8 PM in Germany's timezone. Most of the interesting stuff at Nintendo's booth usually takes place between 12 AM and about 6/ PM, though.

I think you need to view these things in a proper context, though. In my memory, Gamescom has never really been a place where Nintendo made any big, "heavy-hitting" announcements, and nothing for Smash 4 was ever announced there. They only really re-used the E3 builds for the demo there, too. And in comparison to a Smash newcomer, I feel like a new playable ARMS character and new weapons/stages for Splatoon just don't really compare.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be wrong about this and see them reveal Elma tomorrow, but I think it's best to temper our expectations. The way I see it, we're probably only see a reveal of
Elma as a Blade in 2
and even that doesn't seem guaranteed as of right now.
I think that another reason that have might put Corrin in a better position might be that, being a DLC character, they have to be sold separately. And considering that, chosing the character from the more popular series was the best choice.

Oh sure, Gamescom has never been a place for huge Nintendo announcements, but they litteraly never had any until the Switch came out, where they started with Lola Pop and some new updates for Splatoon 2, and this year we have got a new Co-Op mode in Mario Party revealed. It's also the ideal place to announce the content of patch 1.5.2 for Xenoblade 2 (at least it's better than a random tweet in japanese or PAX).

The demo argument IDK, I really feel that is going to be the only demo we will see until the game launches, since it is already close to the finished product.

But I agree. If we didn't had a Smash focused Direct this month with 5 newcomers, I would have bet that we would have seen a reveal at Gamescom, but now...it's really up in the air. It really all depends on how many characters are actually left to announce.

Arsh99

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arsh99
One of the XCX party members, such as Lin could be an assist trophy. I mean...she could attempt to cook Tatsu on the stage. He'd be running around on the stage, trying to use the fighters as a shield while Lin throws knives and stuff like that.
Now that is one creative assist trophy. I really hope she does just that.

Royaru

Smash Cadet
Pls stop people your getting me to hyped thinking about this. Like serious i had a dream of Elma trailer again i really need her to be in this game :(
Me too, I dreamed with a Elma trailer where many villains (Bowser, Wolf, Ridley, K.Rool) destroyed a huge city, them Elma in her Skell arrive to save it. When I woke up, I think it was real... But the cruel reality.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
!!! Who is this!? Why are my google searches not showing me any of these updates!?
Also, are we expecting Elma and the other blade to be added before Torna releases?
Has it been confirmed that there are no more updates after Torna?
It was just a prediction of mine which I still hope comes true

And I’d think Elma would be added before Torna which is why I made my prediction. And Torna should finish all work on XB2, yeah

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
I'm excited but also scared how she's gonna look in XB2 art style. It's gonna be good seeing her again though

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
In about 1 hour from now, right?

Also, is this the first time they announce a segment of the Gamescom?

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
The rational part of me knows just to be satisfied with Elma making another appearance in anything, but the dumb excitable side of me thinks "a surprise in store" has to be a Smash reveal.

I think we'll need a new thread subtitle after this reveal either way!

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
AHHHHH~ I'm thinking it's just a reveal for Elma and Kamuya as Blades, that's all. Nothing like an XCX port.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Holy mother of the architect is this it? Could it be? Please don't let me down nintendo.
Im running the livestream as soon as i can and keep you guys up to date!

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
Just did 6 hours with zenith (Bob-omb) I think I can last another hour for Elma Blade

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
AHHHHH~ I'm thinking it's just a reveal for Elma and Kamuya as Blades, that's all. Nothing like an XCX port.
That does seem befitting of a direct, but I say why not? Double down on the Elma hype today with X on Switch!

Then triple down with Elma in Smash

Then quadruple down with an X sequel

Then quintuple down on my hype by repairing my roof for the head-shaped hole it'd have

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
this is our 1 of 3 chances of Elma in base roster
(Torna Gamecon, Sept Direct, last smash direct)
get hopeful

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
It would be soo crazy if one of the smash's officials accounts retweet the announce. That's what I call hype and a big dream hahahah

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Listening to Xenoblade X soundtrack to get myself hyped. :D

Edit: Dang! 19 users and 13 guests are here. Elma's heart is full! <3

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Listening to Xenoblade X soundtrack to get myself hyped. :D