• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor3AM

Smash Apprentice
Alright so.....
Snake created the stealth genre
Sonic was the rival to Mario
Mega Man is the epitome of 8-bit
Pac-Man revolutionized... gaming
And Ryu made fighting games what they are......

What the *** did Rayman do for gaming history? I'm not trying to devalue his chances, as I support him. But, what does Rayman have to differentiate himself?

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Okay so Ice Climbers, Pretty much Impossible for this Smash, they'll get an announcement video just to themselves when the next smash comes

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Alright so.....

What the *** did Rayman do for gaming history? I'm not trying to devalue his chances, as I support him. But, what does Rayman have to differentiate himself?
Quote is the godfather of all indie-games....

Quote confirmed B)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Alright so.....

I really don't know if Mega Man could be considered the "epitome of 8-bit" nor is that a really good explanation for why he's in...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Alright so.....

Rayman would represent the darj side of gaming as Ubisoft is one of the ****ties gamingt companies, Snake doesn't count because Konami decided to kill themselves.

In all seriousness, he doesn't bring anything like that. However, as said before, Mega Man's comparison doesn't as he isn't an epitome of anything. Sonic and Mega Man got in because of fan demand

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I really don't know if Mega Man could be considered the "epitome of 8-bit" nor is that a really good explanation for why he's in...
No, I think it is. A lot of the time I see something 8-bit or chiptune there is some sort of nod to Mega Man. MrBulbaMike is a good example.

Even if you disagree with that view, there is no denying Megaman pushed the NES to it's limits with both its music and graphics. Megaman IS the perfect example of 8-bit.

Not to mention, there is a reason Sakurai made Megaman a recreation, right down to his animations, of his 8-bit sprite. Because the 8-bit sprite is so recognizable.

Edit: As for why that explains why he is in, it is quite simple. In addition to Megaman being recognizable, Megaman has had a huge impact on people. A lot of retro style indie games could probably be traced back somewhere down the line to Megaman. Why? Because Megaman showed just how beautiful 8 bit graphics and music could actually get. It made people want to try doing that themselves.

And I say all this without being a Megaman fan.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I still want Impa and Dixie Kong as extra DLC semi-clone characters amongst my all time favorites; King K.Rool and Isaac.

I am setting myself up for dissapointment again.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Mega Man helped define the Famicom / NES era of vidya. It was a huge commercial success and inspired generations of contemporaries and followers. It practically created the "run 'n' gun" / "jump 'n' shoot" genre and inspired developers to compete with its creative technology, which really did push the Famicom / NES to breaking point. He is (or was) an icon of vidya.

I don't know what Rayman did aside from pioneering the burgeoning 2D -> 3D platformer scene and having a very cool developer (Michel Ancel is the GOAT), but hey, there's gotta be a reason why he has that kind of dedicated fanbase.

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
I still want Impa and Dixie Kong as extra DLC semi-clone characters amongst my all time favorites; King K.Rool and Isaac.

I am setting myself up for dissapointment again.
Meh. I'd rather have them be fully unique characters even if that means waiting for Smash 5.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
An HW exclusive rep? Hell no, it won't happen. If they draw from HW, they'd do it for Impa and give her an HW-based moveset rather than use an HW-exclusive character.
Don't count them out yet. The ballot isn't over yet. People keep saying Impa but there's been a lot of Impas in the Zelda games and all of them are very different from each other unlike the Links and Zeldas. I'd really like to see an actual HW rep and it being an original character from that game. Preferably one that it's very relevant to the plot of HW. Someone who could really represent the spirit of Hyrule Warriors. Only time will tell for sure.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
A Hyrule Warriors rep that has appeared in main Zelda games? Sure, I could easily see that happen. An HW exclusive rep? Hell no, it won't happen. If they draw from HW, they'd do it for Impa and give her an HW-based moveset rather than use an HW-exclusive character.
If they add Impa, they're going to go with a canon-inspired version, probably based around the same moves as Sheik.
If by some miracle they decide Hyrule Warriors needs a character in Smash, there's one character that has a ton of potential and is more important to the story of Hyrule Warriors.
Okay, I liked. Technically there's two.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Which is what I fear. Remember the SS Impa fake leak? That she was going to be a slower and stronger Sheik? :o

I thought of Cia but then I remembered her fanservice-y design and the fact that the Tharja trophy was pulled because of her design being too lewd for the kiddies. My safe HW choice would be Lana with her moveset potential, story relevance, moe appeal and...the Skull Kid costume which would be great for meme potential. Ultimate dose of salt: Picture of Lana in Skull Kid costume standing next to the recently-activated Skull Kid AT. Glorious salt.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
So we're discussing the inclusion of characters limited to a possibly one-off spin-off of a main series when it's lacking the original, more iconic, and more long running form of the main villain. Especially when said spinoff has not even a song snuck into the game when we have content from even Wooly World that slipped in.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
If you mean Pig/Classic Ganon, he has a chance too. The ballot is open to any video game character. Also, the spinoff you seem to be mocking sold incredibly well and it's getting a semi-sequel of sorts on the 3DS.

Last edited:
One of the reasons why I love the idea of Classic/Pig/Beast Ganon is because he would be the answer to people who want an unique Ganon(dorf), as Falcondorf will probably never be decloned.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
The only real thing that'd get in his way would be his "status" as Falcondorf's Final Smash which puts him in a similar situation to Chrom. It's really up to Sakurai now.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
The only real thing that'd get in his way would be Falcondorf's Final Smash. It's really up to Sakurai now.
Because it's contradictory to have two versions of the same character fighting at the same time? :4mario::4drmario::4samus::4zss:

Because it's weird to have two forms of a Zelda series character fighting at the same time? :4link::4tlink::younglinkmelee::4zelda::4sheik:

Yeah, the final Smash should be no obstacle.

Because it's contradictory to have two versions of the same character fighting at the same time? :4mario::4drmario::4samus::4zss:

Because it's weird to have two forms of a Zelda series character fighting at the same time? :4link::4tlink::younglinkmelee::4zelda::4sheik:

Yeah, the final Smash should be no obstacle.
This has probably been discussed before, but I really don't get why he can't have a support thread in Wii U/3DS Character Discussion forum?

(Ganon is now my favorite choice for next Zelda rep, sorry Impa)

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Burruni Burruni : As I said, it's up to Sakurai. The fact that Falcondorf becomes Beast Ganon as a FS makes him face the same hurdle Chrom faces at the moment. Sure, we can play the incarnation card but then Toon Ganondorf pops up which would make him a more suitable villain for Toon Link than a Ganon from a completely different timeline.

"the final Smash should be no obstacle" by that logic, I guess you support Chrom's chances as well?

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
This has probably been discussed before, but I really don't get why he can't have a support thread in Wii U/3DS Character Discussion forum?

(Ganon is now my favorite choice for next Zelda rep, sorry Impa)
I said this a few days ago, but it's because he's in some technicality a character with a pre-existing role. In the ruleset that came of the DLC phase of discussion, opening the old threads/creating new ones for characters with pre-existing roles were considered against the rules, namely to prevent circumventing of people being in the game such as "Super Metroid Ridley," "Great Lord Chrom," "Sports Outfit Waluigi," or anything like that.

Burruni Burruni : As I said, it's up to Sakurai. The fact that Falcondorf becomes Beast Ganon as a FS makes him face the same hurdle Chrom faces at the moment. Sure, we can play the incarnation card but then Toon Ganondorf pops up which would make him a more suitable villain for Toon Link than a Ganon from a completely different timeline.

"the final Smash should be no obstacle" by that logic, I guess you support Chrom's chances as well?
Different case, for two reasons. 1) Even Chrom in his "Great Lord" outfit would still be the same looking Chrom as Robin's Final Smash when Beast Ganon and WizPig Ganon are DIFFERENT ENTITIES, and 2) Zelda series kinda has a "system" of allowing multiple incarnations/forms of the same fighter. Fire Emblem does not.

And... No. Going from the Ganondorf that's been the final boss of 3 (2 if you count WW as his own entity) Zelda titles and my suggestion of adding Ganon who has near a Dozen to... the one-and-done form from an older title and has less popularity than another main character from that very game (Tetra) is just... no.

Last edited:
I said this a few days ago, but it's because he's in some technicality a character with a pre-existing role. In the ruleset that came of the DLC phase of discussion, opening the old threads/creating new ones for characters with pre-existing roles were considered against the rules, namely to prevent circumventing of people being in the game such as "Super Metroid Ridley," "Great Lord Chrom," "Sports Outfit Waluigi," or anything like that.
Yeah, thanks for the explanation.

The difference is, Beast Ganon and (Classic) Ganon at least look different from each other.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Burruni Burruni : I'm not against the old version of Ganon, what I don't like is that you're pretty much dismissing possible HW reps when anyone has a chance. Also, Chrom could still sneak in as the Genei Ibun Roku #FE rep since it's not really Awakening's Chrom and has a very different design.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Burruni Burruni : I'm not against the old version of Ganon, what I don't like is that you're pretty much dismissing possible HW reps when anyone has a chance. Also, Chrom could still sneak in as the Genei Ibun Roku #FE rep since it's not really Awakening's Chrom and has a very different design.
Anyone has a chance, yes. But considering that Volga, Wizzro, Cia, and Lana's character rights are with Tecmo they are 3rd Party characters to a 1st Party series, that's... already putting some things in a scope.
But do I feel that it is an oversight to be looking at very minor characters for the series when we're lacking the true main villain? Yes.

Also... you're suggesting the addition of a character that's been deconfirmed alongside the reasoning that he didn't have enough to have him stand unique in his redesign from a third party company in a spin-off that isn't even out yet as DLC.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
No. No. No.

Chrom is not getting in this game. Period. Micaiah and Lyn are ahead of him in the ballot (at least in Japan). He adds nothing to the roster, and by the time #FE comes out the rest of the DLC will already be chosen.

And this game will probably be one-off, and it will be forgotten about by the time SMASH 5 comes out.

Seriously I was sick of Chrom before I played Awakening, even more sick of him after I played it. Please keep his name off of the boards.

Last edited:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
The Light Music Club The Light Music Club : Are you Sakurai then? No one has been completely deconfirmed officially yet except maybe Ridley and Awakening Chrom. Sure, Chrom has plenty of representation in the form of FS and Mii Costume (King K. Rool, Heihachi and others say hi) and his joke status. I'm not saying that he's a shoo-in. Fan ballot support things mean nothing until the real ballot closes.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So I think that we'll eventually get Wolf and Bandana Dee at some point. As for another character, we could get K. Rool due to the massive amount of fan outcry, if not, then they could include Dixie. Lastly, I see at least one third-party character, that third-party character I'm unsure about, but we'll see. Could be Shovel Knight, if only because of the rumors.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
The Light Music Club The Light Music Club : Are you Sakurai then? No one has been completely deconfirmed officially yet except maybe Ridley and Awakening Chrom. Sure, Chrom has plenty of representation in the form of FS and Mii Costume (King K. Rool, Heihachi and others say hi) and his joke status. I'm not saying that he's a shoo-in. Fan ballot support things mean nothing until the real ballot closes.
Well I don't see your point with King K and Heihachi, since I don't think either of them will be added either.

I don't see why they would add a character from a spinoff crossover game with a third party rather than adding the real deal. Sakurai himself said he didn't want Chrom in cause he found him boring... Why would he add in that version of him, if he's not going to even be a main character of that game? The main characters are the idols/students.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Your reasoning still stands as

Sakurai: Chrom didn't have much to make him stand unique as a fighter, but I know he has fans, so I made him part of Robin's final smash and even have a full costume.

leads to...

Sakurai: OMG CHROM HAS THIS NEW EDGY LOOK IN THE ATLUS CROSSOVER GAME?! BRB MAKING A FIGHTER

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Burruni Burruni : Nope. I only mentioned it as a possibility regardless of how unlikely it is. Considering how he changes his mind at the tip of a hat, it might happen. Could it happen or not? It's up to Sakurai at the moment.

The Light Music Club The Light Music Club : The chances are unlikely but there's a chance it could happen. Only time and Sakurai will tell.

...sigh. I just want this blasted ballot thing to end and he goes through all the suggestions.

Last edited:

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Tetris and Windows Logo for Smash!
DLC Pack 2: Eastern and Western tetrimonoes fight to the death!
This is what I've been waiting for. :troll:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So what are the thoughts on this list?

Wolf
Bandana Dee
Dixie Kong
Third-party Character

Thoughts?

Seriously I was sick of Chrom before I played Awakening, even more sick of him after I played it. Please keep his name off of the boards.
Yeah I don't really think you have the power to make that decision. If people want to talk about Chrom they can. He has no chance in hell but neither do 90% off the characters people bring up. You don't get to change the rules :p
Woke up on the wrong side of the bed it seems

Wolf
Bandana Dee
Dixie Kong
Third-party Character

Thoughts?
>Dixie Kong
automatically happy
The other 2 are decent and I can't give an opinion on a third party if I don't know who they are. Still don't think we are getting another 3rd party though. . .

Last edited:

Wolf
Bandana Dee
Dixie Kong
Third-party Character

Thoughts?
Wolf: Yes
Dee: Yes
Dixie: Not a bad choice, but I'd much rather have K. Rool.
Third-party: Yes if it's Black Mage or Bomberman. If it's someone else, I'd just rather have another first-party.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Wolf: Yes
Dee: Yes
Dixie: Not a bad choice, but I'd much rather have K. Rool.
Third-party: Yes if it's Black Mage or Bomberman. If it's someone else, I'd just rather have another first-party.
Black Mage and Bomberman have licensing issues, also they aren't really talked about, it's not them. Sorry.

D

Deleted member

Wolf
Bandana Dee
Dixie Kong
Third-party Character

Thoughts?
Wolf - Yes.
Dee - Yes.
Dixie - Yes.
Third Party Character - Depends on who gets picked.

I would have no complaints if the former three were added to the roster.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord

Wolf
Bandana Dee
Dixie Kong
Third-party Character

Thoughts?
Not bad.

- Too expected and no surprise factor. I had my fun with him in Brawl and I moved on. I'd rather have Slippy.
- I'd prefer Galacta Knight but Bandana Dee is okay.
- I don't mind.
- I'd rather have no more third-party characters but I guess Final Fantasy V's Gilgamesh would be cool.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I don't really know who the third-party choice could be tbh. Layton has probably the closest relationship to Nintendo put of any third-party, all of his games have been published by them in the West and he's been exclusive to Nintendo for quite some time, not to mention that rumor about Miller's session, I could see it being him. But idk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom